flgreen

Jets have edge if they decide to join Marcus Mariota sweepstakes

8h
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Rich Cimini, ESPN New York Jets reporter

No fewer than seven teams have been mentioned as possible trading partners with the Tennessee Titans, who may be looking to deal out of the No. 2 spot in the draft. There's no way of knowing if all seven are genuinely interested in moving up -- chances are, it's only two or three -- but that's enough for a bidding war. Presumably, the target would be quarterback Marcus Mariota.

And the New York Jets could have the inside track for the No. 2 pick -- if they decide to go for it.

If the Jets want to trade up to take Marcus Mariota, they could offer one of the most attractive packages of picks. AP Photo/Ryan Kang

Here's why: The Jets own the No. 6 pick, which undoubtedly would be part of any trade package. Many experts believe there are only six to eight elite players in the draft, so the Titans, who have zero star power on their roster, might be hesitant to drop below the sixth pick. The other teams linked to the No. 2 pick/Mariota are picking below the Jets.

On paper, the quarterback-needy Cleveland Browns, who have the 12th and 19th picks, appear to be the team with the most ammunition for a trade up. Thing is, would the Titans really want to drop from No. 2 to No. 12? That would take them out of the blue-chip neighborhood.

This is why Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan, in his most recent public comments, was talking up the No. 6 position, saying: "It's a very good spot to be in. It does allow us the potential to move up in the draft because we're not very far from the first pick."

Or the second, obviously.

Clearly, the Jets would have to give up more than the No. 6 pick to move up four spots. According to the draft-pick value chart, the No. 2 pick is worth 2,600 points. The Jets' top picks are No. 6 and No. 37 picks, which add up to only 2,130 points. They'd probably have to offer a package that includes their 2016 first-round pick, which means you're talking about a serious investment. Remember, the Washington Redskins traded three first-round picks to make the same jump in 2012 for Robert Griffin III. Frankly, I think it would be a mistake.

The Browns could offer 2,545 points if they pony up No. 12, No. 19 and No. 43, but the value chart is a generic guide -- it doesn't change by year. No two drafts are alike, so the quality of the 12th pick in one draft might be deemed weaker than in another.

The other teams interested in Mariota are thought to be the Chicago Bears (No. 7 and No. 39), St. Louis Rams (10 and 41), New Orleans Saints (13, 31 and 44), San Diego Chargers (17 and 48) and Philadelphia Eagles (20 and 52). I listed only first- and second-round picks because it would be unwieldy to list them all. You get the point.

If the Chargers decide to include Philip Rivers in a deal, which would be insanity, they become the favorite. Publicly, they've said they have no interest in trading their franchise quarterback, but the rumors persist.

To repeat: We don't know if the Jets are interested in trading up for Mariota, but they haven't ruled out the idea of a move-up. Honestly, there's no guarantee they'd take him if he fell to No. 6. The point of this exercise is to show that, if they decide to make a move, they'd be in primo position to get it done.

... and since Cimini has no idea what the organization is actually keyed in to, his guess is as good as Ira's from Staten Island.

I don't think that his having any inside info on their intentions was the point of the article.  Seemed like he was just saying that IF there was more then one team interested, and the Jets were one of them, they are in a better then average position to get it done.

GO RANGERS

I don't think that his having any inside info on their intentions was the point of the article.  Seemed like he was just saying that IF there was more then one team interested, and the Jets were one of them, they are in a better then average position to get it done.

GO RANGERS

Yes, I'm aware. I'm making sure the hoard interprets it that way too.

Jmo I don't see the Jets going way up to number 2 for Mariotta. The cost would be too great. I think Jets might be interesting if he drops a couple more spots.( than they might be interested as the compensation won't be as much. if Marriotta falls to the Raiders , and the defensive player they like isn't there , I could see them willing to take both Browns picks, for the fourth pick in the draft.

Whatever the move is our new regime wants to make, I just hope they have the balls to make it. If it's trading two number 1's for Winston or Mariota then get it done. Unlike last season when Idzik was trying to get Marquise Lee and couldn't pull it off even though we had an abundance of picks and trades were being made all over the damn place.  I'm happy we didn't get Lee but the point I'm making is that if we really like someone I hope they aren't afraid (or too stupid) to get it done.

That being said, I would really love to get Winston or Mariota in the draft or watch our guys pull off a trade for Rivers, Brees, Cutler or the like. Getting a real QB would be really really nice and good.

I'll stop following this team if they trade a pair of firsts to move up for Mariota. Seriously ill quit on the spot.

I won't quit, but I share your sentiment entirely.  Neither of the top QB prospects are worth the risk of paying through the nose and mortgaging the future to move up.  Both have plenty of warts.  

Virtually zero chance that a rookie GM makes a move like this. It would be career-defining. I think that there's a much better chance that Maccagnan makes a super-conservative pick like Scherrf.

yea ok that's why he spent like 40 million on free agents - he's conservative - yea ok

yea ok that's why he spent like 40 million on free agents - he's conservative - yea ok

Hmm. I didn't say Maccagnan was a conservative GM.

I said I think there's a better chance that with his first ever draft pick, he'd make a conservative pick like Scherff as opposed to trading our 2015 1st and 2nd, along with our 2016 1st, to move up for Mariotta.

I just think he's got something up his sleeve. All that money spent on veteran free agents. For what? To pin your hopes on a team led by a schmuk like Geno.  It just doesn't make sense.  

Regardless, this will be Geno's last year in green and white.

I really don't understand Cimini. I actually like the talent in this years draft. I prefer to trade back and acquire more picks in the middle of the 1st round to possibly pick Parker, Gurley, Gordan. Mac always said the draft is talent based.

Jmo I don't see the Jets going way up to number 2 for Mariotta. The cost would be too great. I think Jets might be interesting if he drops a couple more spots.( than they might be interested as the compensation won't be as much. if Marriotta falls to the Raiders , and the defensive player they like isn't there , I could see them willing to take both Browns picks, for the fourth pick in the draft.

I could see the Titans passing on Mariota is the Rivers trade falls through which would leave only the Redskins to worry about and I do think Jay Gruden would take Mariota. That means the Jets must send the number six pick and Mohammad Wilkerson to Oakland for the number four. Wilk is going to be a Revis like pain in the a$$ over this contract extension and the Jets have plenty of depth on the d-line. I think that is how it will get done.

I could see the Titans passing on Mariota is the Rivers trade falls through which would leave only the Redskins to worry about and I do think Jay Gruden would take Mariota. That means the Jets must send the number six pick and Mohammad Wilkerson to Oakland for the number four. Wilk is going to be a Revis like pain in the a$$ over this contract extension and the Jets have plenty of depth on the d-line. I think that is how it will get done.

They should do this in a second.  Trading a D lineman for a Franchise QB is a no brainer.    

As I have said before, everything hinges on the Jets scouts and GM thinking a QB will be a franchise QB.   

I, nor anyone that posts on this board have any idea who will and who wont be a successful draft pick.  I will trust the professionals.

They should do this in a second.  Trading a D lineman for a Franchise QB is a no brainer.    

As I have said before, everything hinges on the Jets scouts and GM thinking a QB will be a franchise QB.   

I, nor anyone that posts on this board have any idea who will and who wont be a successful draft pick.  I will trust the professionals.

Joe....we ARE the professionals. :winking0001:

They should do this in a second. Trading a D lineman for a Franchise QB is a no brainer.

I, nor anyone that posts on this board have any idea who will and who wont be a successful draft pick. I will trust the professionals.

Why in the world would you trust the people who know what they are doing when you can trust the folks here who are wrong 75% of the time ☺️

Archived