Rex Ryan throws the Jets under the bus with bomshell SI article.

Jetsbb

If Idzik felt that way so strongly that he completely under mined the season by not spending money, he should have had the guts to quit. But if Idzik has shown one thing in his time as GM of the Jets, it's that he has no guts, no spine, no balls, and no brains

It saddens me that you had to cut and paste a single sentence.

Couldn't even reformat it to look normal either. Le sigh.

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh, Idzink fielded one of the worst rosters in football.. Nobody thought the Jets would good, and they weren't... Not sure why you should kill Rex for seeing what everyone else saw

That being said, Rex should stfu and move on. This makes him look small, almost as bad as T0mShame

Rex Ryan says playoffs within reach for NY Jets

July 17, 2014

Rex Ryan expects improved Jets to go beyond last season’s 8-8 record and reach the playoffs, but holds off making anymore Super Bowl guarantees like he has done in the past.

The guy you used to know probably would have circled the block with a megaphone, telling everyone that this is the year when the Jets shock the world and win the Super Bowl. He was fun.

The guy sitting in front of you on a hot summer afternoon is bursting at the seams to say the same things, but claims he knows better now. He’s still sort of fun.

Confidence has never been lacking for either one.

Rex Ryan’s glass isn’t half empty or half full. It’s overflowing.

While much of the NFL world expects little more than mediocrity from the Jets this season, the man in charge believes his team is nothing like the group that needed a few lucky breaks to win eight games in 2013.

“I believe we’re better than that. I believe we’re a lot better than that,” Ryan told the Daily News. “Eight and eight would be a hell of a disappointment for us. I’m just telling you that I believe this team is on the cusp of doing some special things. . . . I’m confident we will be a playoff team.”

Ryan’s wild public proclamations of impending trips to the Oval Office may be a thing of the past, but the superlatives are still swimming around in his head. He won’t hold it against anyone who thinks the Jets are a transition team that shouldn’t be in the Super Bowl conversation this year.

He’s not down with O.P.P. (Other People’s Predictions).

“What they’re missing is — and this isn’t their fault — is they don’t see what I see in the building every day,” Ryan said. “I think it’s a transition year, but we’re going to bring it to another level. I know where I want this team to go and that’s where I expect this team to go. So, you know, are we a better team? Dang right. . . . That may be a fact that we’re rebuilding this team, but by no means does that mean that I don’t expect to improve on where we were.”

After an 8-8 season, bringing it to another level would mean the postseason, right?

“Well,” Ryan said with a smile, “There you have it.”

General manager John Idzik upgraded an offense in dire need of playmakers by adding Eric Decker, Chris Johnson and Michael Vick, but plenty of questions remain for a team that has not had a winning season since 2010.

Although Ryan admitted that “it’s certainly a roster that’s better than what we had last year,” it’s unclear whether the Jets have narrowed the gap on the Patriots, who have won the AFC East in each of Ryan’s first five seasons.

“I think time’s going to tell how much better we are,” Ryan said. “I believe this football team is a hell of a lot better right now than we were at any point last year.”

Ryan received a de facto one-year extension in the offseason after a team with limited talent overachieved, but he’ll almost certainly need a winning season in 2014, at the very least, to keep his job.

Ryan underwent a public personality makeover when Idzik was hired after the 2012 season, but he has loosened up and flashed signs of his former endearing politically incorrect self a little bit more in recent months.

Self-confidence will never be an issue with Ryan, but don’t expect him to predict any meet-and-greets with President Obama or scribble “Soon to be Champs” on traveling tour buses ever again. His public messages have changed with the shifting state of the franchise.

“When I came in from Day One, this team was way different back then,” Ryan said of his previous Super Bowl guarantees. “This team just lost Brett Favre, a Hall-of-Fame quarterback. This team had that same moniker, ‘Same Old Jets.’ Well, I wanted everyone to know. I wanted to make damn sure they knew that it wasn’t the Same Old Jets and it was never going to be the Same Old Jets as long as I was here. And so I think that’s why I said what I said. I wanted to make sure my team believed that I believed that we were going to win Super Bowls.”

“Now, it’s more the fact that, ‘Hey look, I know who we are,’ ” he added. “My team is very well aware of who we are. But if (making Super Bowl predictions) will add pressure where we can’t be at our very best and possibly add some fuel to the fire to the opponent, I don’t need to do that. So I’m not going to do it.”

Ryan insists that he’s not worried about his fate if the Jets don’t reach that next level. He sees the promise and says he knows where his team is headed.

“Dude, I can’t wait,” he said. “I cannot wait to snap this thing off for real, because I feel that this is going to be that team that I’ve been looking for.”

He better be right.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-playoffs-reach-jets-rex-ryan-article-1.1871534

On April 6, Jets tight end Jace Amaro reflected on his rookie season and told Sirius XM NFL Radio that Ryan’s 2014 team lacked accountability. To which Ryan says, “He’s full of s—, and I’ll remind him of that when we play him. Look, we weren’t perfect, and I never said we were going to be perfect. But that’s a f—— b.s. comment. But, hey, he’s happy that he’s got a different coach in place. We’ll see how happy he is when I play against him.”

I'm convinced, if not for his father, Rex Ryan would be that guy from your high school that bought an ice cream truck in the town you grew up in and sells weed to the junior high kids, and that always seems to be there at the local watering hole on the night before Thanksgiving, when all your old classmates convene and talk about where they are in their lives now, and he's there talking about the fights he almost got in that time behind the handball court, while finding the creepiest way possible to say "wassup" to the girls who actually stayed cute 20 years later.

July 17, 2014

NYC PAPERS OUT. Social media use restricted to low res file max 184 x 128 pixels and 72 dpi

ROBERT SABO/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Rex Ryan expects improved Jets to go beyond last season’s 8-8 record and reach the playoffs, but holds off making anymore Super Bowl guarantees like he has done in the past.

The guy you used to know probably would have circled the block with a megaphone, telling everyone that this is the year when the Jets shock the world and win the Super Bowl. He was fun.

The guy sitting in front of you on a hot summer afternoon is bursting at the seams to say the same things, but claims he knows better now. He’s still sort of fun.

Confidence has never been lacking for either one.

Rex Ryan’s glass isn’t half empty or half full. It’s overflowing.

While much of the NFL world expects little more than mediocrity from the Jets this season, the man in charge believes his team is nothing like the group that needed a few lucky breaks to win eight games in 2013.

“I believe we’re better than that. I believe we’re a lot better than that,” Ryan told the Daily News. “Eight and eight would be a hell of a disappointment for us. I’m just telling you that I believe this team is on the cusp of doing some special things. . . . I’m confident we will be a playoff team.”

Ryan’s wild public proclamations of impending trips to the Oval Office may be a thing of the past, but the superlatives are still swimming around in his head. He won’t hold it against anyone who thinks the Jets are a transition team that shouldn’t be in the Super Bowl conversation this year.

He’s not down with O.P.P. (Other People’s Predictions).

“What they’re missing is — and this isn’t their fault — is they don’t see what I see in the building every day,” Ryan said. “I think it’s a transition year, but we’re going to bring it to another level. I know where I want this team to go and that’s where I expect this team to go. So, you know, are we a better team? Dang right. . . . That may be a fact that we’re rebuilding this team, but by no means does that mean that I don’t expect to improve on where we were.”

After an 8-8 season, bringing it to another level would mean the postseason, right?

“Well,” Ryan said with a smile, “There you have it.”

General manager John Idzik upgraded an offense in dire need of playmakers by adding Eric Decker, Chris Johnson and Michael Vick, but plenty of questions remain for a team that has not had a winning season since 2010.

Although Ryan admitted that “it’s certainly a roster that’s better than what we had last year,” it’s unclear whether the Jets have narrowed the gap on the Patriots, who have won the AFC East in each of Ryan’s first five seasons.

“I think time’s going to tell how much better we are,” Ryan said. “I believe this football team is a hell of a lot better right now than we were at any point last year.”

Ryan received a de facto one-year extension in the offseason after a team with limited talent overachieved, but he’ll almost certainly need a winning season in 2014, at the very least, to keep his job.

Ryan underwent a public personality makeover when Idzik was hired after the 2012 season, but he has loosened up and flashed signs of his former endearing politically incorrect self a little bit more in recent months.

Self-confidence will never be an issue with Ryan, but don’t expect him to predict any meet-and-greets with President Obama or scribble “Soon to be Champs” on traveling tour buses ever again. His public messages have changed with the shifting state of the franchise.

“When I came in from Day One, this team was way different back then,” Ryan said of his previous Super Bowl guarantees. “This team just lost Brett Favre, a Hall-of-Fame quarterback. This team had that same moniker, ‘Same Old Jets.’ Well, I wanted everyone to know. I wanted to make damn sure they knew that it wasn’t the Same Old Jets and it was never going to be the Same Old Jets as long as I was here. And so I think that’s why I said what I said. I wanted to make sure my team believed that I believed that we were going to win Super Bowls.”

“Now, it’s more the fact that, ‘Hey look, I know who we are,’ ” he added. “My team is very well aware of who we are. But if (making Super Bowl predictions) will add pressure where we can’t be at our very best and possibly add some fuel to the fire to the opponent, I don’t need to do that. So I’m not going to do it.”

Ryan insists that he’s not worried about his fate if the Jets don’t reach that next level. He sees the promise and says he knows where his team is headed.

“Dude, I can’t wait,” he said. “I cannot wait to snap this thing off for real, because I feel that this is going to be that team that I’ve been looking for.”

He better be right.

Bravo.

so Rex wanted to run out and sign noted gang member Desean Jackson 5 minutes after the Aaron Hernandez fiasco, and after being publicly humiliated by Santonio Holmes for years…yes yes that is a guy who is learning from his mistakes and growing as a coach.

July 17, 2014

NYC PAPERS OUT. Social media use restricted to low res file max 184 x 128 pixels and 72 dpi

ROBERT SABO/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Yes because any coach is going to start the season saying his team sucks and the GM is an ahole who is using passive aggressive tactics to bring Bevel to NY and prevent the Pats from winning the SB

RR would be the last one too, he thinks leadership is bravado and unwavering confidence

So Rex admits he was the "Boss" for all but last year with the Jets?

I have been told he was saddled with players he didn't want and was an innocent bystander in roster construction.

Can't be

serious question, was that an argument when Tanny was here? I can't see how, Rex brought his folks from Baltimore here, had a huge man crush on Sanchez, made Holmes a captain, etc...  I haven't seen anyone using that excuse except when Idzik was at the helm

serious question, was that an argument when Tanny was here? I can't see how, Rex brought his folks from Baltimore here, had a huge man crush on Sanchez, made Holmes a captain, etc...  I haven't seen anyone using that excuse except when Idzik was at the helm

This argument began in Rex's 3rd and 4th year here.

Some have said that Rex was an innocent bystander in all things Sanchez. 

Some have said that Rex was an innocent bystander in all things Sanchez. 

Whoever said that should be sterilized, the man crush was fairly obvious before the tattoo, afterwards it was self evident

Ryan thought his 2010 team should have been his Super Bowl squad, and he wanted to keep it together for one more run. But the Jets lost some key free agents, and in 2011, Ryan’s third season, they finished 8–8 and were essentially eliminated from playoff contention following a Christmas Eve loss to the local-rival Giants. Not long after, Ryan says he began to feel he was losing sway within the organization.

Vrentas' recounting of the 2011 season is intellectually dishonest. 2011 happened because they "lost a few free agents"? I expect a little more from a Peter King-run website.

he got a big raise to go to a city that will worship him as a god

hey rex ;

shut you fat ******* pie hole you big sissy

Buffalo knows he's a loser. They watched him lose by 20-plus the last three times. That honeymoon will be short.

Anybody who thinks that Rex wasn't instrumental in assembling the roster every year he was here needs to have their head examined...

All I see is Buddy Jr...

One nugget I liked from the SI article was how efficiently Thurman Thomas threw Marrone under the bus. Thank goodness we avoided that guy...

LOL

Good grief!

How did anyone expect Rex to react?  

What he actually said was he was going to TRY to kick  the Jets' asses.  What a surprise.

The first Bills game we will find out how good an OC Gailey is going to be.  If he's smart he will built his game plan a long way away from Amaro.  

Kid had the right to say whatever he wanted to.  As an unproven rookie, that wasn't the wisest thing to say

GO RANGERS

People like Rex don't learn from mistakes. They work so hard to convince others that it wasn't their fault, it usually turns up that they were most successful in convincing themselves. 

I like that Woody addressed that Rex wasn't proactive in the press conference after he fired him. Without specifically saying so, he called Rex out for playing victim. 

I'm so glad he's gone. I'm even more glad he's in Buffalo. 

Buffalo Bills Fan here - we're glad he's in Buffalo too.  Love the guy

"Everybody knew then we weren’t going to make it [as a staff],” says Dennis Thurman, Ryan’s defensive coordinator in New York and now in Buffalo. “We could have gone and packed our houses, apartments, whatever, and moved, because we knew we were done."

Even before the season began, Ryan was worried about the Jets’ ability to compete. Last summer he bought a house in the Nashville suburbs.

Haha

he got a big raise to go to a city that will worship him as a god

hey rex ;

shut you fat ******* pie hole you big sissy

I've read a lot of articles where Rex talked about the Jets.  This was the first one (I've seen) where Rex had anything negative to say about the Jets.  I think Amaro's comment, that may or may not have been true,   really ticked him off.  The bottom line is that the Jets are glad he's gone and we here in Buffalo are thrilled Rex is with us.  

Archived