GAME OF THRONES (*SPOILERS ALERT*)

52 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I can't for the life of me comprehend how the books can remotely stack up to the show. There is no way in hell. ******* Homer and Dostoevsky don't hold up to this sh*t, but the printed words of George Martin do? There's no way.

Puzo's books are great but anyone who could ever have the balls to argue that they are just as good as Coppola's work needs to be shot. Sometimes one medium is just better.

That's sad. LOL.

I love both. One is a great show. The other is a brilliant piece of world building literature.  But they are not the same.

I look forward to seeing specific scenes put to film, its pretty cool to see things brought to visual medium. But there are a lot of subtleties and character development that can't be done in a TV or movie format. Whatever. Ill even argue that as an entertainment experience, the LOTR films were much more enjoyable than the books. There are whole passages and chapters of LOTR that are written in Poetry Form, sections of elvish writing, and complete nonsense that dont move the plot  at all (Tom Bombadil, Tom Bombadil, hi hi hi, Tom ******* Bombadil, anyone?)

But GOT is an amazing, and entertaining read. 

Hell, want impact? When I read the Red Wedding, I literally got so pissed off I threw the book down and stopped reading for two weeks. I am a prolific reader, but I can't recall another writer making me do that....well, I threw down Atlas Shrugged a bunch of times, but that was due to the pure tedium of so much of that long winded drivel.

And now that the show has overtaken the timelines ofnthe books, I get to look forward to seeing how BOTH progress, evolve, and finish. 

Double awesome. 

Except for Selmy. At least in the books, He Lives!

1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

That's sad. LOL.

I love both. One is a great show. The other is a brilliant piece of world building literature.  But they are not the same.

I look forward to seeing specific scenes put to film, its pretty cool to see things brought to visual medium. But there are a lot of subtleties and character development that can't be done in a TV or movie format. Whatever. 

As for impact, when I read the Red Wedding, I literally got so pissed off In threw the book down and stopped reading for two weeks. I am a prolific reader, but I can't recall another writer making me do that....

And now that the show has overtaken tge timelines ofnthe books, I get to look forward to seeing how BOTH progress, evolve, and finish. 

Double awesome. 

Except for Selmy. At least in the books, He Lives!

Look, I get it. I read a lot too. When Nolan's Foundation series drops I'll probably be critiquing it to death because I hold those books dear to me and I will constantly be making comparisons. Completely understandable. It's human nature.

That said, there is no way anything he wrote compares to the last two episodes of last season, or plenty of others. There's just no way. Game of Thrones is entertainment on such another level of things it's insane. Character development and all, that's great and hard and damned impressive when an author pulls it off. But there is no way in hell anyone is ever going to convince me that anything in those books is as good as, for example, that moment when Cersei brought down the whole thing.

The best way I can put it is this: That scene where Arya bakes Walda's kids into a pie and feeds it to him? Benioff and Martin stole that from Shakespeare. Titus Andronicus, Act III. I knew it the second it happened because Titus is a personal favorite of mine. And you know what? That moment in the show was better than Shakespeare wrote it in the play. And if the show is better than Shakespeare than I can be pretty confident in saying it's better than Martin.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Look, I get it. I read a lot too. When Nolan's Foundation series drops I'll probably be critiquing it to death because I hold those books dear to me and I will constantly be making comparisons. Completely understandable. It's human nature.

That said, there is no way anything he wrote compares to the last two episodes of last season, or plenty of others. There's just no way. Game of Thrones is entertainment on such another level of things it's insane. Character development and all, that's great and hard and damned impressive when an author pulls it off. But there is no way in hell anyone is ever going to convince me that anything in those books is as good as, for example, that moment when Cersei brought down the whole thing.

The best way I can put it is this: That scene where Arya bakes Walda's kids into a pie and feeds it to him? Benioff and Martin stole that from Shakespeare. Titus Andronicus, Act III. I knew it the second it happened because Titus is a personal favorite of mine. And you know what? That moment in the show was better than Shakespeare wrote it in the play. And if the show is better than Shakespeare than I can be pretty confident in saying it's better than Martin.

200w (1).gif

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Who's the one dead character you'd want to come back to life? I'm going with Tywin because 1. Charles Dance is incredible and 2. He was the moral center of the show and losing him sort of set the whole GoT universe adrift.

Khal Drago because he's hawt.  Duh.

I'm telling you dudes, I may miss a few details here and there but I'm just on another level:

https://www.yahoo.com/style/game-thrones-fans-noticed-insane-175703651.html

There was so much to absorb from the season seven premiere of Game of Thrones, you might've missed a key moment: Sansa's hair. No, she didn't wear a killer accessory á la Daenerys Targaryen, but she instead hinted at a possible plot development with her half-up look.

In a scene where she warns Jon Snow about how dangerous Queen Cersei Lannister can be, he says, "You almost sound as if you admire her." Sansa replies, "I learned a great deal from her." Fittingly, Sansa's braided style seriously channeled Cersei Lannister's hair looks from earlier seasons, as several Twitter users noted:

This detail is subtle, but it could signal that Sansa wants more power and may be a threat to Jon Snow, the King of the North (and her half-brother . . . as far as she knows).

Sophie Turner herself has said her character's hair is a clever plot device. "She's a very silent character . . . you don't really know what she's thinking," Sophie told POPSUGAR back in June. "The only real way we knew what she was taking in and learning from these people [is] because she would mirror Cersei's hairstyle or Margaery's hairstyle. . . . It's really interesting to see that sort of physical representation of her adapting to each situation."

If this Cersei-like hairstyle is any indication of how Sansa's storyline is going to this season, it looks like there'll be trouble in Winterfell.

19 hours ago, JiF said:

Wait, the Hound's brother was The Mountain, who is now the undead dude the protects Cersei?  I thought his brother was the dude he fought at the games when they were jousting and he lost his sh*t and cut off the head of his horse and seemed to be ready to attack Joffery? 

Same dude.

He was poisened, and Qyburn or whatever his name is saved him, but turned him into a kind of zombie looking thing.   Like 4 actors played the role on the show until they found someone they really like.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Who's the one dead character you'd want to come back to life? I'm going with Tywin because 1. Charles Dance is incredible and 2. He was the moral center of the show and losing him sort of set the whole GoT universe adrift.

I loved Tywin.   Really not a bad guy, just on a different side then the Starks.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

His first 3 books were real good, four was awful.  Awful.

The Arya pie thing was sort of done in the books.   A different lord, loyal to the Starks did it, or was insinuated as having done it. 

What is this Foundation Series you speak of?   I feel the same way with the Dark Tower coming out.   It will be nothing like the books, and I'm going to have to try to separate it from them to watch it.

I really think Euron (the pirate kind guy) is going to somehow steal a dragon.  It's the only way to level the playing field.

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Viewer: "Bro, I can't believe Joffrey died. I was like, whoa."

Reader: "Oh? Because I had to read 11,543 pages of George RR Martin to get to the paragraph where 'Bro, Joffrey died.' I had to read 22 whole pages leading up to 'Bro Joffrey died' where George ******* Martin goes into detail about the food that was served at the banquet where 'Bro Joffrey Died'. I had to make a flowchart. I had to draw pictures of each character and tape them to my wall, then string red yarn between these pictures to try and sort out who may have made BroJoffreyDied. And you know what? HBO ****ed up the scene anyway. Did you see any mutton on the table? Any pomegranates? Did you know that it wasn't red wine that Joffrey poured over Tyrion's head? It was supposed to be a full-flavored mead delivered to the ceremony by the great grand-uncle of the Tyrell bannermen from Nesterosi. But you didn't know that, did you? No. Because you didn't read the books. I read the books. I read the books many times. But, please, tell me all about how Bro Joffrey Died." 

That is awesome. 

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

His first 3 books were real good, four was awful.  Awful.

The Arya pie thing was sort of done in the books.   A different lord, loyal to the Starks did it, or was insinuated as having done it. 

What is this Foundation Series you speak of?   I feel the same way with the Dark Tower coming out.   It will be nothing like the books, and I'm going to have to try to separate it from them to watch it.

I really think Euron (the pirate kind guy) is going to somehow steal a dragon.  It's the only way to level the playing field.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_series

There are arguments among Asimov nerds on the Internet about the order a first timer should be reading them. Some say chronologically, others say original trilogy first, then order of publication. I'm of the latter, but if you're the type of person that always prefers having things in order, then it's up to you. But IMO you're really doing a disservice to yourself because it will spoil the ending of the original trilogy if you read in order.

He later wrote a series of books that connect the Robot novels (I, Robot...etc) to the Foundation series, so technically they all take place in the same universe, and the Robot series serves as a prequel of sorts to the Foundation prequels.

The Dark Tower looks ******* awful. I have never been a Stephen King fan but you can tell from the trailer and the run-time that they completely butchered whatever was there for some cliche star-driven drivel.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I'll second this one. Tywin was the man. The scene where he called Arya out for traveling as a boy is my favorite piece of dialogue in the entire series. There was something about the way he said "smart."

People forget, the great irony of Arya's revenge tour is that she's only alive because of Tywin.

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

I loved Tywin.   Really not a bad guy, just on a different side then the Starks.

Agreed. It was as-if he represented a time long passed, when rivalries and battles were fought by generals in battlefields. Unlike what his children ushered in which is a time of politics, deceit, shadow-moves, etc.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'll second this one. Tywin was the man. The scene where he called Arya out for traveling as a boy is my favorite piece of dialogue in the entire series. There was something about the way he said "smart."

People forget, the great irony of Arya's revenge tour is that she's only alive because of Tywin.

Tywin and Arya were great.   I've said it before, he wasn't a "bad guy".   He was protecting his family, and was the best ruler in the entire show.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Agreed. It was as-if he represented a time long passed, when rivalries and battles were fought by generals in battlefields. Unlike what his children ushered in which is a time of politics, deceit, shadow-moves, etc.

They were.   People were also scared to cross him.   If you did what you should, you were left alone.   If you crossed him, you could be utterly destroyed.

11 minutes ago, chirorob said:

They were.   People were also scared to cross him.   If you did what you should, you were left alone.   If you crossed him, you could be utterly destroyed.

I think Tywin and Ned were kind of the last of a dying breed. Very similar guys with similar flaws in underestimating the weaknesses of their kids. Tywin with Tyrion and his vengeance, and Ned with Sansa re: how she got manipulated by Cersei to side with the Lannisters in S1. And coincidentally both married each other and then became chief advisors for the two largest armies opposing the Lannisters.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Tywin was great. Second choice would be Oberyn because he was the s hit. Stole every scene.  

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Agreed.  I was very disappointed his character didnt last longer. 

He had to die though. The characters with strong moral fabric don't make it very long. If the Hound finally finds his moral compass, I wonder how long he'll have left.

• Upvote 1

Heard a great theory.   It had to do with "Why are the White Walkers Invading?"

#1.   Everyone says Brand the Builder and the Children of the Forrest made the wall.   Well, what if it was Bran and the White Walkers who made the wall.   After all, who has the most power with ice?   The children have power over trees and living things.   Maybe the wall was made as a truce, with the Walkers getting the land north of the wall.   Now, thousands of years later, their land has been "invaded" by thousands and thousands of Free Folk.   Over 100 thousand.

There could have been a truce, and the mortal men forgot it started breaking their part of it, and now the Walkers are retaliating.

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

Heard a great theory.   It had to do with "Why are the White Walkers Invading?"

#1.   Everyone says Brand the Builder and the Children of the Forrest made the wall.   Well, what if it was Bran and the White Walkers who made the wall.   After all, who has the most power with ice?   The children have power over trees and living things.   Maybe the wall was made as a truce, with the Walkers getting the land north of the wall.   Now, thousands of years later, their land has been "invaded" by thousands and thousands of Free Folk.   Over 100 thousand.

There could have been a truce, and the mortal men forgot it started breaking their part of it, and now the Walkers are retaliating.

Interesting but Bran through his time travel stuff found out that the children are the ones who created the White Walkers because they were being destroyed by man.  The White Walkers would help them survive and fight man.  Also, wasnt the one creepy wildling dude who raped or married all his daughters offering his male sons to the white walkers?  So technically the Free Folk were already giving the White Walkers concessions. 

And are the Children of the Forrest dead?  haha Or just some creepy ass kids that dont age? 

I'm still holding strong that Bran uses his powers to go back in time and somehow eliminates the creation of the White Walkers. 

54 minutes ago, JiF said:

Interesting but Bran through his time travel stuff found out that the children are the ones who created the White Walkers because they were being destroyed by man.  The White Walkers would help them survive and fight man.  Also, wasnt the one creepy wildling dude who raped or married all his daughters offering his male sons to the white walkers?  So technically the Free Folk were already giving the White Walkers concessions. 

And are the Children of the Forrest dead?  haha Or just some creepy ass kids that dont age? 

I'm still holding strong that Bran uses his powers to go back in time and somehow eliminates the creation of the White Walkers. 

What episode was this?

Just now, Lizard King said:

What episode was this?

sh*t, I dont know.  It's the one of his many visions or time travels when he's with the 3 eyed raven.  They go back to a scene where the Children are all sitting in a circle and then the one main little girl uses a knife that she sticks through this dudes chest who is tied up on a tree.  After Bran wakes, he calls her out on being the ones who created the White Walkers and she says something along the lines of "you made us, we had to, man was destroying us, we needed them to win the war" or something like that.

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

sh*t, I dont know.  It's the one of his many visions or time travels when he's with the 3 eyed raven.  They go back to a scene where the Children are all sitting in a circle and then the one main little girl uses a knife that she sticks through this dudes chest who is tied up on a tree.  After Bran wakes, he calls her out on being the ones who created the White Walkers and she says something along the lines of "you made us, we had to, man was destroying us, we needed them to win the war" or something like that.

I must've been binging and totally missed that one. I feel like I missed a lot to be honest.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Children of the Forrest don't really age as I understand it, kind of like Tolkein's elves.   But they are all but wiped up.

Or....  did Bran go back in time and help build the original wall?

5 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Children of the Forrest don't really age as I understand it, kind of like Tolkein's elves.   But they are all but wiped up.

I have completely missed the Children stuff, apparently.

52 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

I must've been binging and totally missed that one. I feel like I missed a lot to be honest.

I feel you.  I feel like I've missed a ton because I binged all the way up to this season.  That said, I've paid particular attention to the Bran scenes because I find his character to be the most mysterious and interesting and kind of hard to follow.  And now it turns out he's probably most powerful character on the entire show.  

I legit think Bran is going to be the hero, at least as it pertains to defeating the white walkers.

52 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Ok gotcha.  

Yes, I 100% think Bran is the builder of the wall and of winterfell.  I guess the thing to theorize is why?  To protect them from the white walkers or as a truce as you said?  It certainly wasnt to protect the Children of the Forest since they created White Walkers and live outside the Wall but I do think the theory that Bran created the Wall is true.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I feel you.  I feel like I've missed a ton because I binged all the way up to this season.  That said, I've paid particular attention to the Bran scenes because I find his character to be the most mysterious and interesting and kind of hard to follow.  And now it turns out he's probably most powerful character on the entire show.  

I legit think Bran is going to be the hero, at least as it pertains to defeating the white walkers.

I think Bran will be the hero too. Or the Lannisters will kill him off.