GAME OF THRONES (*SPOILERS ALERT*)

also, Bran has just been through a ton of non stop sh*t!!!  most people cant survive on the other side of the wall.  he has been there how many seasons? as a cripple? lost all of his group save for 1? became the 3 eyed raven? He admits he can only see parts of the past and future, pieces. give him some quiet time by the fire, let him recuperate and regroup, collect his thoughts, harness his power.

and then there is arya.  she thought her whole family was dead and her whole purpose in life was to kill and make others pay.  You see her choose a different path that she has been on for how long when she finds out Jon and Sansa are ruling the north? When she gets there, she will realize that Bran is still alive!  that is 4 stark children that have survived 

I've got a few thoughts:

1. Either there's a spy on Team Khaleesi, Tyrion is intentionally sabotaging them, or Tyrion is getting worked over by Team Cersei, because he's now sent two major elements of his team directly into traps. I don't believe that GoT would decide to make Tyrion a moron at this point, so there's either a spy in his camp, or he's intentionally undermining Khaleesi. 

2. As annoying as Euron is, he's still so one-dimensional that it's likely he exists solely to be killed by another character as a means of proving that character's mettle, or charting his redemption. Which is great, because he won't be around much longer. Euron's the guy in every western who shows up about a quarter of the way in to the movie wearing a black hat, throwing bottles around the saloon and grabbing at the whores--and then gets shot in the spleen by Clint Eastwood. This character type has been used a few times in GoT already--the crazy dude that magically appears in Kraster's Keep after Kraster dies (he says, "**** em till they're dead, boyyyys. **** em tile they're dead") whom Jon ends up stabbing through the back. The other one I can remember was the tracker guy who cut Jaimie Lannister's hand off and eventually gets his neck broken by Hodor (who was being controlled by Bran). 

3. Should be noted that Olenna Tyrell joins a list of people who are supposedly dead whom we never actually see die. She joins The Blackfish, Stannis Baratheon, Sirio Ferrell, and a few other people I can't recall right now.

4. I'm curious to see how they avoid the Gandalf Problem with Bran. In LOTR, Gandalf basically solves every problem by waving his magic staff, and by being nearly omniscient, which led to a lot of derpy resolutions in those otherwise great movies (Oh yeah, I could have just called these supereagles that would have been better). If Bran can see the future and the past, it's going to take some really clever writing to explain why he doesn't, or can't, tell people what to do. I get that the Three Eyed Raven likely represents the Holy Trinity, and God would likely stand back and let the idiot mortals learn their lessons, so I'm interested to see how much theology goes into it, and whether that leaves us saying, "oh, Bran could have just called the SuperEagles in and put this sh*t to bed eight hours ago."

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I've got a few thoughts:

1. Either there's a spy on Team Khaleesi, Tyrion is intentionally sabotaging them, or Tyrion is getting worked over by Team Cersei, because he's now sent two major elements of his team directly into traps. I don't believe that GoT would decide to make Tyrion a moron at this point, so there's either a spy in his camp, or he's intentionally undermining Khaleesi. 

2. As annoying as Euron is, he's still so one-dimensional that it's likely he exists solely to be killed by another character as a means of proving that character's mettle, or charting his redemption. Which is great, because he won't be around much longer. Euron's the guy in every western who shows up about a quarter of the way in to the movie wearing a black hat, throwing bottles around the saloon and grabbing at the whores--and then gets shot in the spleen by Clint Eastwood. This character type has been used a few times in GoT already--the crazy dude that magically appears in Kraster's Keep after Kraster dies (he says, "**** em till they're dead, boyyyys. **** em tile they're dead") whom Jon ends up stabbing through the back. The other one I can remember was the tracker guy who cut Jaimie Lannister's hand off and eventually gets his neck broken by Hodor (who was being controlled by Bran). 

3. Should be noted that Olenna Tyrell joins a list of people who are supposedly dead whom we never actually see die. She joins The Blackfish, Stannis Baratheon, Sirio Ferrell, and a few other people I can't recall right now.

4. I'm curious to see how they avoid the Gandalf Problem with Bran. In LOTR, Gandalf basically solves every problem by waving his magic staff, and by being nearly omniscient, which led to a lot of derpy resolutions in those otherwise great movies (Oh yeah, I could have just called these supereagles that would have been better). If Bran can see the future and the past, it's going to take some really clever writing to explain why he doesn't, or can't, tell people what to do. I get that the Three Eyed Raven likely represents the Holy Trinity, and God would likely stand back and let the idiot mortals learn their lessons, so I'm interested to see how much theology goes into it, and whether that leaves us saying, "oh, Bran could have just called the SuperEagles in and put this sh*t to bed eight hours ago."

Biggest whole in the entire show; if he has this power, why is it not being utilized vs.the Army of the Dead and Cersei? He knows Jon's parentage which would immediately solve the Khaleesi/Jon conflict. Is he just a curiosity or is he going to be integral to the story? 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Biggest whole in the entire show; if he has this power, why is it not being utilized vs.the Army of the Dead and Cersei? He knows Jon's parentage which would immediately solve the Khaleesi/Jon conflict. Is he just a curiosity or is he going to be integral to the story? 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I've got a few thoughts:

Best guess as to why he'll choose the God role of sitting back and letting things happen, is that every time he's chosen to intervene he's royally c*cked everything up; mindff*cking poor Hodor into a pokemon refrigerator, letting the white walkers past the wall, probably building the wall in the first place as Bran the Builder because he somehow helped to create the walkers, causing the Mad King to go mad and try to burn all the people etc. etc. I think that's the only way they get around the Gandalf/God dilemma. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I've got a few thoughts:

1. Either there's a spy on Team Khaleesi, Tyrion is intentionally sabotaging them, or Tyrion is getting worked over by Team Cersei, because he's now sent two major elements of his team directly into traps. I don't believe that GoT would decide to make Tyrion a moron at this point, so there's either a spy in his camp, or he's intentionally undermining Khaleesi. He and the spider could def be up to something. Varys was the one that brought him to team khaleesi.

2. As annoying as Euron is, he's still so one-dimensional that it's likely he exists solely to be killed by another character as a means of proving that character's mettle, or charting his redemption. Which is great, because he won't be around much longer. Euron's the guy in every western who shows up about a quarter of the way in to the movie wearing a black hat, throwing bottles around the saloon and grabbing at the whores--and then gets shot in the spleen by Clint Eastwood. This character type has been used a few times in GoT already--the crazy dude that magically appears in Kraster's Keep after Kraster dies (he says, "**** em till they're dead, boyyyys. **** em tile they're dead") whom Jon ends up stabbing through the back. The other one I can remember was the tracker guy who cut Jaimie Lannister's hand off and eventually gets his neck broken by Hodor (who was being controlled by Bran). Def voted most likely to die before this is all over. Just some ruthless muscle for Cersei to use until she has no use for him.

3. Should be noted that Olenna Tyrell joins a list of people who are supposedly dead whom we never actually see die. She joins The Blackfish, Stannis Baratheon, Sirio Ferrell, and a few other people I can't recall right now. I was waiting for her to put her finger down her throat as soon as he walked out.  could have happened but i doubt it.  she has nothing to live for anyway, oh, except to kill lannisters.

4. I'm curious to see how they avoid the Gandalf Problem with Bran. In LOTR, Gandalf basically solves every problem by waving his magic staff, and by being nearly omniscient, which led to a lot of derpy resolutions in those otherwise great movies (Oh yeah, I could have just called these supereagles that would have been better). If Bran can see the future and the past, it's going to take some really clever writing to explain why he doesn't, or can't, tell people what to do. I get that the Three Eyed Raven likely represents the Holy Trinity, and God would likely stand back and let the idiot mortals learn their lessons, so I'm interested to see how much theology goes into it, and whether that leaves us saying, "oh, Bran could have just called the SuperEagles in and put this sh*t to bed eight hours ago." I think they will mute Brans powers for the rest of the show save for a couple of important tidbits.  I dont think he will control a dragon by the end of the show, or will he????

22 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

IDK, i think a lot has been accomplished thus far this season.  Sides are lining up for the showdown all the while, the larger enemy looms.  That would be my only criticism, wtf are the white walkers doing all of these months?  Seems like they are waiting for the other side of the wall to get their sh*t together.  If they are waiting for the long winter, it is already snowing in the north so they could at least decimate that part of the 7 kingdoms.

Cercie has 3 kingdoms(including her own) now aligned with her while Khalessi has 2 (including her own). To me the rest are undecided and to me that is the "story".  Who will sit atop the iron throne.  Everything else is prologue to that.  Characters push toward that end. If you are tired of littlefinger, sh*t.... he is just biding his time imo.  there are 2 wars coming, no reason to reach to push an agenda now when things could be upside down in a short while.  Even if he somehow was able to court the stark girl and unify the north and aerie as king of those 2 realms, he still needs to conquer cersie and slay the whitewalkers while remaining in power.  better to let others handle that, save his strength for the big prize.

I've liked the show for the most part.  

Tyrion is an administrator, and Khaleesi has never fought a full on war, and now they are getting their butts kicked.   Queen of Thorns and Jaime?  Great scene.   Tyrion and Jon, great scene. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/1/2017 at 2:19 PM, whodeawhodat said:

IDK, i think a lot has been accomplished thus far this season.  Sides are lining up for the showdown all the while, the larger enemy looms.  That would be my only criticism, wtf are the white walkers doing all of these months?  Seems like they are waiting for the other side of the wall to get their sh*t together.  If they are waiting for the long winter, it is already snowing in the north so they could at least decimate that part of the 7 kingdoms.

Cercie has 3 kingdoms(including her own) now aligned with her while Khalessi has 2 (including her own). To me the rest are undecided and to me that is the "story".  Who will sit atop the iron throne.  Everything else is prologue to that.  Characters push toward that end. If you are tired of littlefinger, sh*t.... he is just biding his time imo.  there are 2 wars coming, no reason to reach to push an agenda now when things could be upside down in a short while.  Even if he somehow was able to court the stark girl and unify the north and aerie as king of those 2 realms, he still needs to conquer cersie and slay the whitewalkers while remaining in power.  better to let others handle that, save his strength for the big prize.

The bold is a good point and could be why the season has seemed a little slower.

On 8/1/2017 at 2:23 PM, whodeawhodat said:

also, Bran has just been through a ton of non stop sh*t!!!  most people cant survive on the other side of the wall.  he has been there how many seasons? as a cripple? lost all of his group save for 1? became the 3 eyed raven? He admits he can only see parts of the past and future, pieces. give him some quiet time by the fire, let him recuperate and regroup, collect his thoughts, harness his power.

I read something somewhere that his brain is essentially a computer just processing more info than he can handle right now.   As the former 3-Eyed Raven warned, he Bran wasnt ready.  If you recall the opening scene of season 6, he just had all these visions in his head of the future, the past, etc.  Basically, he's got so much going on that his brain has turned into a computer hence why he's become essentially emotionless.  

The thing that I thought was weird, was him explaining to Sansa - she wouldnt understand or it hard to understand...something along those lines.  But, it's really not.  haha.  Just tell her WTF happened and she'd probably be like, "oh, ok, that makes sense".  

On 8/1/2017 at 2:27 PM, whodeawhodat said:

and then there is arya.  she thought her whole family was dead and her whole purpose in life was to kill and make others pay.  You see her choose a different path that she has been on for how long when she finds out Jon and Sansa are ruling the north? When she gets there, she will realize that Bran is still alive!  that is 4 stark children that have survived 

As I've said before, we need more Arya.  Leaving her out of any episode is just mean.  We all know at this point, she's the greatest assassin in Westeros but what will be really interesting, even more so than the Stark reunion, will be her reunion with Red Woman.  If you remember, right before she took the bastard Baratheon, she told Arya they would meet again.  So there is 2 things here, we havent see the bastard since Davos sent him off in the dingy, so he could return and the Red Woman basically told Varys that they're both going to die in Westeros...Red Woman is on Arya's list...Red Woman said they will meet again...does Arya kill the Red Woman? 

On 8/1/2017 at 7:25 PM, T0mShane said:

I've got a few thoughts:

1. Totally agree here. My wife and I were laughing at Tyrion getting punked again, but it doesn't make sense for his character background - up until now, he's always out-smarted his siblings. Varys sabotaging might make sense here. Not sure. I look forward to Jorah re-aligning with Dany, because I think that's when this gets resolved.

2. Euron sucks, but he is sort of the MacGuffin of transitioning Jamie to completely emasculated puss-wad, as well as making Cersei's campaign viable - without him, Cersei gets trampled and there's not enough conflict for a whole season. I think Jamie ultimately has to kill his lover/sister, like he did with the mad king - bringing a lot of story full-circle.

3. Interesting observation. I fully expect to see Stannis again.

4. lol, yes.

• Upvote 1

On 8/1/2017 at 7:25 PM, T0mShane said:

I've got a few thoughts:

1.  I think you're right.  Could it be Vary's?  I cant see it being anyone else?  Vary's while he claims he wants the right person on the throne, is also a survivor.  What if he fears that Dany could turn on him, then maybe he's aligning with who will keep him alive?  Tyrion makes no sense.  Cersi hates him and the last time Jamie spoke about him was with Bron. Bron told Jamie to say hi to him if he ever sees him again and Jamie said, "he killed my father, if I see him again, I will split him in two".  Cant be Tyrion.

2. Agreed but you know what's weird about him, he didnt start off as this wild-eyed Capt. Jack Sparrow type of character.  He was pretty tamed when he made claim to the Salt Throne.  He made a few jabs at Theon but it wasnt like he was doing all this "look at me, I'm crazy" sh*t that he's doing this season.  The other thing that is confusing about him is, where did he become this bad ass fighter?  Didnt they say he was basically just living the life of luxury cruising around the world avoiding the wars with his Aunt or something? 

3. That is an interesting thought...

4. For sure...Bran definitely poses the biggest holes in the story but at this point is the most intriguing character in terms of how his power will influence the wars ahead.  The issue is, everyone is already asking why he isnt doing more so.  

On 8/1/2017 at 2:19 PM, whodeawhodat said:

Good points. Littlefinger, and to @T0mShane's point about Tyrion, maybe Varys have always functioned in the shadows - not as lords, but as manipulators of power. What we're seeing now with Snow going to Khaleesi, leaving the North to Sansa... while Khaleesi is perpetually walked into traps by Tyrion's advice... it kind of brings you back to all the dark-ally / brothel schemings of early seasons between Varys, Tyrion and Littlefinger. Will be interesting to see if there's something to it... these 3, in a lot of ways, have represented one of the only persistent power structures in the shows arc.

On 8/1/2017 at 2:23 PM, whodeawhodat said:

As soon as Bran is able to harness his power, I guarantee they kill him. Just to avoid all the holes in the writing. LOL

On 8/1/2017 at 2:27 PM, whodeawhodat said:

By the time she gets there, they'll all have run off in different directions... except Bran, he can't run. LOL I just feel like Arya gets there and they're all gone. Thus, she chose the wrong path... and should have stayed the course of revenge tour 2017.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, chirorob said:

I've liked the show for the most part.  

Tyrion is an administrator, and Khaleesi has never fought a full on war, and now they are getting their butts kicked.   Queen of Thorns and Jaime?  Great scene.   Tyrion and Jon, great scene. 

For as harsh as I've been on this season, those were great scenes and so was the opening scene of the season.  And having Tyrion being witty and funny again is awesome.  You forget when he was a miserable bumbling drunk how funny he really is when he's in his normal mindset. 

9 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

1. Totally agree here. My wife and I were laughing at Tyrion getting punked again, but it doesn't make sense for his character background - up until now, he's always out-smarted his siblings. Varys sabotaging might make sense here. Not sure. I look forward to Jorah re-aligning with Dany, because I think that's when this gets resolved.

2. Euron sucks, but he is sort of the MacGuffin of transitioning Jamie to completely emasculated puss-wad, as well as making Cersei's campaign viable - without him, Cersei gets trampled and there's not enough conflict for a whole season. I think Jamie ultimately has to kill his lover/sister, like he did with the mad king - bringing a lot of story full-circle.

3. Interesting observation. I fully expect to see Stannis again.

4. lol, yes.

While we didnt see him die but we saw Brienne take the sword to what looked like his head and she said she decapitated him at one point to the Red Woman with Davos standing right there. 

7 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Good points. Littlefinger, and to @T0mShane's point about Tyrion, maybe Varys have always functioned in the shadows - not as lords, but as manipulators of power. What we're seeing now with Snow going to Khaleesi, leaving the North to Sansa... while Khaleesi is perpetually walked into traps by Tyrion's advice... it kind of brings you back to all the dark-ally / brothel schemings of early seasons between Varys, Tyrion and Littlefinger. Will be interesting to see if there's something to it... these 3, in a lot of ways, have represented one of the only persistent power structures in the shows arc.

As soon as Bran is able to harness his power, I guarantee they kill him. Just to avoid all the holes in the writing. LOL

By the time she gets there, they'll all have run off in different directions... except Bran, he can't run. LOL I just feel like Arya gets there and they're all gone. Thus, she chose the wrong path... and should have stayed the course of revenge tour 2017.

That would be one solution lol

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

While we didnt see him die but we saw Brienne take the sword to what looked like his head and she said she decapitated him at one point to the Red Woman with Davos standing right there. 

Good point - and nobody ever lies on this show, so you know... 

Kidding. It's wishful thinking, I want to see Davos reconcile the whole burning his daughter at the stake thing with Stannis.

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

For as harsh as I've been on this season, those were great scenes and so was the opening scene of the season.  And having Tyrion being witty and funny again is awesome.  You forget when he was a miserable bumbling drunk how funny he really is when he's in his normal mindset. 

We watched S1:E1 the other night. Dinklage owns this sh*t from the first moment he appears on screen.

****, "All dwarfs are bastards in the eyes of their father."

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Good point - and nobody ever lies on this show, so you know... 

Kidding. It's wishful thinking, I want to see Davos reconcile the whole burning his daughter at the stake thing with Stannis.

haha - Brienne doesnt seem to lie too often.  Davos is quickly becoming one of my favs.  "This is...Jon Snow" - that was so good.  His delivery was perfect. 

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

We watched S1:E1 the other night. Dinklage owns this sh*t from the first moment he appears on screen.

****, "All dwarfs are bastards in the eyes of their father."

I love how for the past 2 season he's been dropping, "a wise man once said" and he's totally referring to himself.  He's a phenomenal actor.

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

haha - Brienne doesnt seem to lie too often.  Davos is quickly becoming one of my favs.  "This is...Jon Snow" - that was so good.  His delivery was perfect. 

I love how for the past 2 season he's been dropping, "a wise man once said" and he's totally referring to himself.  He's a phenomenal actor.

Then Danny calls him on it.  

He's like, "I would never do that to you...."    

The sand snakes were awful, but so many really great performances on this show.  I mean, before this show, I knew him as the angry dwarf from Elf.

Varys has always stated from the very beginning that he wants whats best "for the realm". Not The Tagaryen Dynasty. Not Danarys. The Realm.

Cersei is bad for the realm. The Army of the Dead is very bad for the realm. Maybe 8,000 unsullied without true free will beyond their devotion and unquestioning obedience to their queen is bad for the realm in Varys' eyes.

Maybe a Dothraki horde riding roughshod over the populace of Westeros raping and pillaging where farming and harvesting needs to occur for a long winter is bad for the realm?

Maybe Varys realizes that before the various armies of Westeros will willingly come together to defend The Realm, they ALL need to get knocked down a peg.

And I think the Red Woman knows Varys is playing a dangerous game, that what hes doing is necessary to save Westeros, but will wind up with him getting execited...thus that oblique statement about them "having to die on this strange continent".

But thats all hypothesis.

Euron sucks and is boring.

Olenna was awesome.  

And where is Clegane?

• Upvote 1

I'm finally all caught up. I'm sure people are bitching about all sorts of things on the internet but the one thing that doesn't make sense to me is this:

Of all the things that Bran could have told Sansa, like I dunno, maybe Littlefinger helped kill her dad or that Arya is alive or a million other relevant things, he chooses to tell her she looked beautiful on the night she was raped? Huh?

• Upvote 2

Just now, whodeawhodat said:

@JiF ^^^ you sir win the internet today for this little nugget

Thanks!  I have to give credit for Yahoo news here.  But yes, I definitely LOL'd when I saw it.  The only thing I would have changed would be to say, "When your sister/lover..."

haha

Best episode of the season. Bran repeating Little Finger's ladder chaos quote was epic. Arya is no longer a twat, but firmly a badass; that scene with her and Briene was awesome. The seeds have been sown for Jon to f*ck Dany, thanks to Davos' mentioning of her t!ts. And speaking of, Bronn is just the titts, love every time he's on the screen. Watching Tyrion cringe seeing his people decimated and brother almost killed was brilliant work.

Still can't decide if/when one of Dany's dragons dies, does it get resurrected and ridden by the white walker or by Jon, I dunno. Ice dragon ftw!

• Upvote 4

Giving Jamie his nuts back and Arya being a ninja was such a relief to see. Like, we've been waiting for the payoffs on those for awhile. Interested to see how Ninja Arya is applied. Would also like to see Jamie have some PTSD deal where he toughens up if he doesn't drown. 

Equally glad the dragon didnt didn't die from the scorpion. I figured they'd sacrifice one to show off how dangerous the weapon was, and they almost did, but they didn't throw away one of the dragons to do it. 

Remember the thing with Targaryens: they either achieve greatness or madness, so we're at a bit of a crossroads with Danaerys. No doubt Tyrion and Varys are aware of this, and maybe that's why they've been trying to keep her pacified this whole time. If Danaerys does, indeed, go mad, will they--as protectors of the realm--put her down? It'd put them in direct conflict with Jon Snow and back on the same side as Cersei. 

Really, really, really glad Bran challenged Littlefinger because it'll give Littlefinger something to do instead of skulk around plotting. Bran presumably knows who made the dagger, and who ordered his death, so we're gonna kinda have to piece together whether he's omniscient or not, and if he is omniscient, why he's not using his knowledge to help their cause. 

• Upvote 4

If anyone didn't like tonight's episode, they need to just never watch this show again, and should never comment here again.  Just go watch Golden Girls and pull a Theon with your nuts.

Arya and the guards, cool.   Arya telling Sansa she has a list, and laughing it off, nice.   Bran saying she has a list, and Sansa realizing she wasn't kidding, real nice.  Arya fighting Brienne, awesome.   Jon talking with Khaleesi, nice scene.  

Oh, and the freaking battle was damn cool.   The look when the dragons showed up, men just turning to ash.   Wow.

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Best episode of the season. Bran repeating Little Finger's ladder chaos quote was epic. Arya is no longer a twat, but firmly a badass; that scene with her and Briene was awesome. The seeds have been sown for Jon to f*ck Dany, thanks to Davos' mentioning of her t!ts. And speaking of, Bronn is just the titts, love every time he's on the screen. Watching Tyrion cringe seeing his people decimated and brother almost killed was brilliant work.

Still can't decide if/when one of Dany's dragons dies, does it get resurrected and ridden by the white walker or by Jon, I dunno. Ice dragon ftw!

Even when Arya just handed over the knife, she did a sweet little twirl with it.  Sansa and Little finger watching like, "WTF"

• Upvote 1

On 8/4/2017 at 1:11 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm finally all caught up. I'm sure people are bitching about all sorts of things on the internet but the one thing that doesn't make sense to me is this:

Of all the things that Bran could have told Sansa, like I dunno, maybe Littlefinger helped kill her dad or that Arya is alive or a million other relevant things, he chooses to tell her she looked beautiful on the night she was raped? Huh?

Dr Manhattan syndrome

• Upvote 1

A much better episode by far. Well paced and written. I loved Arya's return to Winterfell and her training session. It was good to see how she faired against Brienn. She's such a little badass. Can't she just put Needle through Littlefinger's heart and be done with it? I'm tired of that dude standing on balconies, scheming.
Everyone seemed a little bit more like their old selves. Jon didn't seem quite so aggro towards Dany, and seemed more fair.

Loved the Rickon/Dickon joke again. Doesn't get old. Bron is a champ. I'm glad he didn't get torched. That final battle scene was great. It'll be interesting to see what becomes of Jaime. Seems an odd choice if that's it, as I pictured him playing a larger role in the coming episodes.

Need more Hound. He's been mia for far too long. That character is too good to keep him gone for this long.