GAME OF THRONES (*SPOILERS ALERT*)

On 4/17/2019 at 9:14 AM, Integrity28 said:

The writing has broken down, so I wouldn’t be surprised. Not sure why Tywin would ever reveal it. Maybe he suspects but doesnt know, but making it known helps Tyrion. I can see it happening. The convo between Varys, Tyrion and Davos about being old and nothing lasting was foreshadowing I suspect.

Honestly, this episode was boring. Viewers already knew Jon was Aegon. Why devote a whole episode to jim finding out. 

Night King must be a Targaryen too. If he can ride a dragon.

The writing is worse because they have passed George RR.   He helped a lot early on, and it showed.   They only have a vague outline to go by, I don't think he is very invovled, and the show is not as good because of it.

On 4/20/2019 at 9:59 AM, whodeawhodat said:

great point with arya's list.... Cersi is def getting offed by her....

Would still rather have Cersi, than any of the people you mentioned above.  Sansa learned at the hands of Cersi, not from her tutelage like Cersi did from her father.  Sansa's father had her playing with dolls and then she was joffreys play thing to torture.  Littlefinger def did coach her as well.  

My prediction:

Jon Snow(Aegon Targareon VI?) rides the lone remaining dragon at the end of it all and is the ruler of the 7 kingdoms

Cersi killed by Arya

Jamie- survives and bends the knee to Jon and rules kings landing

Tyrion becomes hand to Jon

Mother of dragons dies along with her dragon in the battle against the whitewalkers

Sansa marries Jon and is Queen.

^^^There you have it. Enjoy the last 5 episodes.

Cersei killed by Jamie.

Sansa is warden on the north.

Dany dies.

On 4/22/2019 at 11:25 AM, chirorob said:

The writing is worse because they have passed George RR.   He helped a lot early on, and it showed.   They only have a vague outline to go by, I don't think he is very invovled, and the show is not as good because of it.

when the show runners started this project 10+ years ago there were 4 books written, with the 5th book about to come out. 

Pretty sure the plan was that by the time seasons 1-5 were done, book 6 would have been out, and by now 7 would be out or close.  

Their job was to put a wealth of book material to the screen.  since season 5 their job has become to put an outline of 2 books to the screen. 

I blame GRRM for taking too long.

Edited by cbudiarjo
typo
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, cbudiarjo said:

when the show runners started this project 10+ years ago there were 4 books written, with the 5th book about to come out. 

Pretty sure the plan was that by the time seasons 1-5 were done, book 6 would have been out, and by now 7 would be out or close.  

Their job was so put a wealth of book material to the screen.  since season 5 their job has become to put an outline of 2 books to the screen. 

I blame GRRM for taking too long.

Totally.    In the last 11 years, he has come out with one book in the series, that had hundred of pages devoted to the Iron Born, and another character who isn't even in the show.    I think George got himself in a corner, and can't get himself out, and now is too old to want to.

• Upvote 2

I dont understand why they couldnt combine the 1st episode and last nights into 1 episode.  There was so much wasted time in the first episode, they could have easily merged the 2 together, making it 100x better show/stage setting.  And I feel like they're doing a terrible job preparing for this battle, so much more they could have prepared instead of just having clever conversations. 

I actually really enjoyed last night's episode.  There were some epic clever moments and conversations that were very enjoyable.  I loved the scene with Ayra, Hound and Beric.  Loved the scene with everyone hanging out around the fire.  If there was 1 dude I want to spend my last night with, it would Tyrion Lannister.  Loved Sam giving the sword to Jorah.  I thought that was a really cool scene.  I loved the nights watch kids back together.  Loved Jamie and Bran's reunion. 

Theon is clearly going to die defending Bran and I like that as his story arch.  I loved Sansa pinning Dany to the wall about Winterfell and the North.  Arya raping Gendry was amazingly uncomfortable, loved the scene with her throwing the dragon glass.  Padrig might be my new favorite character, I want him and Bronn to have an epic reunion.  I loved Sam summarizing Bran's existence.  

Some of that was really well done IMO.

I'll be honest, I really dont have a clue where this goes but I do think Dany goes crazy and Jon kills her.  

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I don’t understand hating that episode. It was the best writing the show’s had in seasons and it felt weighty. No one thought about glory, all the boisterous behavior of the past gave way to one last moment before death. Best episode of the show I can remember.

Spending 2 out of 6 episodes reminding us that everyone that showed up to Winterfell are all on the same side they agreed to be on last season, which is quite literally the only reason they are even there to begin with, isn't particularly weighty to me.  Very little of it was new, as most were continuing on with the ongoing stream of reunions they started last week.  Jaime is the only one of the bunch that wasn't a long-standing ally, and he already had folks on his side, none of which were surprising.

If looked at in a complete vacuum, the episode itself wasn't so bad, but that would be dependent on it being a unique story happening in a mid-season episode in a mid-series season.  Back-to-back episodes of the same thing overtaking a third of the final season, on the other hand, is idiotic.  They could have easily packed those both into a single episode without losing anything of value in the process, which brings on the more serious concern that the writers have no idea what to do with any depth to it beyond the upcoming battles.

Let's just hope they've gotten all the self-pandering they apparently needed out of the way and are ready to move on.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

Spending 2 out of 6 episodes reminding us that everyone that showed up to Winterfell are all on the same side they agreed to be on last season, which is quite literally the only reason they are even there to begin with, isn't particularly weighty to me.  Very little of it was new, as most were continuing on with the ongoing stream of reunions they started last week.  Jaime is the only one of the bunch that wasn't a long-standing ally, and he already had folks on his side, none of which were surprising.

If looked at in a complete vacuum, the episode itself wasn't so bad, but that would be dependent on it being a unique story happening in a mid-season episode in a mid-series season.  Back-to-back episodes of the same thing overtaking a third of the final season, on the other hand, is idiotic.  They could have easily packed those both into a single episode without losing anything of value in the process, which brings on the more serious concern that the writers have no idea what to do with any depth to it beyond the upcoming battles.

Let's just hope they've gotten all the self-pandering they apparently needed out of the way and are ready to move on.

Who cares about battles. If the next episode picks up in the aftermath and they tell stories of how people died then it’s better than a battle without poignancy.

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

I dont understand why they couldnt combine the 1st episode and last nights into 1 episode.  There was so much wasted time in the first episode, they could have easily merged the 2 together, making it 100x better show/stage setting.  And I feel like they're doing a terrible job preparing for this battle, so much more they could have prepared instead of just having clever conversations. 

I actually really enjoyed last night's episode.  There were some epic clever moments and conversations that were very enjoyable.  I loved the scene with Ayra, Hound and Beric.  Loved the scene with everyone hanging out around the fire.  If there was 1 dude I want to spend my last night with, it would Tyrion Lannister.  Loved Sam giving the sword to Jorah.  I thought that was a really cool scene.  I loved the nights watch kids back together.  Loved Jamie and Bran's reunion. 

Theon is clearly going to die defending Bran and I like that as his story arch.  I loved Sansa pinning Dany to the wall about Winterfell and the North.  Arya raping Gendry was amazingly uncomfortable, loved the scene with her throwing the dragon glass.  Padrig might be my new favorite character, I want him and Bronn to have an epic reunion.  I loved Sam summarizing Bran's existence.  

I'll be honest, I really dont have a clue where this goes but I do think Dany goes crazy and Jon kills her.  

Absolutely to the bold and my #1 issue with last night's episode.  A setup episode proceeded by another setup episode in an already short season is ridiculous.  While some of it was certainly entertaining, I think the entire set of circumstances surrounding it makes it all feel just way too forced.  It could've easily been condensed and had far more meaning in the process.

My guess is Podrick is next in line to be the poor innocent who no one has any reason to hate that gets slaughtered to make people sad.  That's a well they love to go to.  Also going to be lots of "redemption" deaths.  Theon definitely makes that list, and Jaime probably has the same coming eventually, although I'm sure he has a few of his own kills to pull off first.

I'm still trying to figure out if its bad writing/acting, or the show is purposefully setting up for the fans wanting to see Daenerys go.  At this point, no one has any particular reason to support her place on the throne other than fear of the dragons.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, JiF said:

I love Podrick becoming a badass - a very underdeveloped storyline. 

I don't think his reunion with Bronn will be a happy one. I think Podrick dies taking an arrow for Tyrion. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Who cares about battles. If the next episode picks up in the aftermath and they tell stories of how people died then it’s better than a battle without poignancy.

If they stayed true to Martin's writing that's exactly what they would do, but that's a concept they abandoned a while ago now, so it's not going to happen.  They're already struggling to fill their limited "quiet" time with much of any meaning beyond "hey, remember these guys who knew each other before?!?  Yeah!"

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

Dany dies.

My guess too..... 

They've already revealed that Jason Mamoa has a cameo scene this year which to me plays out in one of two ways - 1) either a flashback through Bran; or 2a vision by Dany on her deathbed.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Two episodes in ten words. Not bad. Any idea where I submit the reimbursement form to get those two hours out of my life back?

Not even 2 hours. 55 and 58 mins. 

Thought with only 6 episodes they were all going to be in the 75-80 minute range episodes. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Not even 2 hours. 55 and 58 mins. 

Thought with only 6 episodes they were all going to be in the 75-80 minute range episodes. 

Here's the official episode length for the final season.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/03/15/game-of-thrones-final-season-episode-lengths/

Season 8, episode 1
Debut date: SUNDAY, APRIL 14 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT)
Estimated running time: 0:54

Season 8, episode 2
Debut date: SUNDAY, APRIL 21 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT)
Estimated running time: 0:58

Season 8, episode 3
Debut date: SUNDAY, APRIL 28 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT)
Estimated running time: 1:22

Season 8, episode 4
Debut date: SUNDAY, MAY 5 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT)
Estimated running time: 1:18

Season 8, episode 5
Debut date: SUNDAY, MAY 12 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT)
Estimated running time: 1:20

Season 8, episode 6
Debut date: SUNDAY, MAY 19 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT)
Estimated running time: 1:20

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

I'm still trying to figure out if its bad writing/acting, or the show is purposefully setting up for the fans wanting to see Daenerys go.  At this point, no one has any particular reason to support her place on the throne other than fear of the dragons.

She has moved far from her platform of honor and kindness. Killing the Tarley’s and worrying more about Sansa respecting her than how to win the war = Dany has become yet another monarch, devoid of humanity and consumed by power.

i would like to know if she’ll indeed forfeit her crown to save her people.

anyway, these episodes are basically end credit scenes to the series... not much happening other than nice moments for fanboys. there’s some good bits, but mostly meh...

glad it’s ending. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

She has moved far from her platform of honor and kindness. Killing the Tarley’s and worrying more about Sansa respecting her than how to win the war = Dany has become yet another monarch, devoid of humanity and consumed by power.

i would like to know if she’ll indeed forfeit her crown to save her people.

anyway, these episodes are basically end credit scenes to the series... not much happening other than nice moments for fanboys. there’s some good bits, but mostly meh...

glad it’s ending. 

Exactly.  The worst part of it all, she went from the very beginning to basically say that she didn't want to rule because of my family, but in spite of them, to "buuuut, my daaaaaad!!"

There's also the simple point of the self-contradictory logic when attempting to cite a "true heir" who wants her family's previous overthrowing others to count, but not they were then subsequently overthrown as well.  That's why Sansa's point was one of the few things I appreciated from this episode, as if Dany's entire reason she deserves anything is that she isn't going to count that her family lost their power, why should the Starks (or any house for that matter) do any differently?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Exactly.  The worst part of it all, she went from the very beginning to basically say that she didn't want to rule because of my family, but in spite of them, to "buuuut, my daaaaaad!!"

There's also the simple point of the self-contradictory logic when attempting to cite a "true heir" who wants her family's previous overthrowing others to count, but not they were then subsequently overthrown as well.  That's why Sansa's point was one of the few things I appreciated from this episode, as if Dany's entire reason she deserves anything is that she isn't going to count that her family lost their power, why should the Starks (or any house for that matter) do any differently?

Dany also takes about “her whole life she wanted to sit in the iron throne”, but that’s just not true. She was sorta reluctant to lead at first... and eased into it through moments that saw her mature her confidence in her own moral compass. Through that she saw the path to ruling, justly. Now that it’s close, she’s acting more like s Lannister.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Absolutely to the bold and my #1 issue with last night's episode.  A setup episode proceeded by another setup episode in an already short season is ridiculous.  While some of it was certainly entertaining, I think the entire set of circumstances surrounding it makes it all feel just way too forced.  It could've easily been condensed and had far more meaning in the process.

My guess is Podrick is next in line to be the poor innocent who no one has any reason to hate that gets slaughtered to make people sad.  That's a well they love to go to.  Also going to be lots of "redemption" deaths.  Theon definitely makes that list, and Jaime probably has the same coming eventually, although I'm sure he has a few of his own kills to pull off first.

Yeah, I got a feeling that the battle of Winterfell doesnt cut too deep into the main characters.  I could see people like; Tormund, Eddison, Theon, Gendry, Prodrick, Lyanna, Qhono, Greyworm, maybe even a big hit like Jorah or Brienne...but not nobody that still has some questions unanswered like the Lannisters, Jon Snow, Dany, Sam...even like the Hound and Beric...too many holes left filled if any of those guys go out now.  Ironically, all the Starks have kind of come full circle.  The only true unanswered part to their storyarc is Arya's list but even that's not driving anything substantial.  At this point, they could all die but they won't.  Especially because they teased Arya's death with whatever she's running from in all the previews.  Because they lost their balls. 

Dany is a terrible actress.  She's been my biggest complaint of the entire series, to play such a major role and have zero acting ability is a bummer.  The Dany face.  She's become hard to look at which should be impossible to accomplish.

I felt like as soon as the show got out in front of the books, the writing would eventually start looking to fan theories for vision. At this point I’d be happy with one decent surprise and a Sopranos style cut-out where we never learn who gets the throne. Just because of the trolling aspect of it.

• Upvote 2

Arya is so f*cking terrible. Everything about her character is awful. Hopefully she dies next episode.

I actually thought it was the best episode for some time. Jaime knighting Brienne was brilliantly done, both Nikolaj and Gwendoline  were superb. The dialogue in general was much better. sh*t is going down next week. I’m expecting at least 5 major characters to die.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Yeah, I got a feeling that the battle of Winterfell doesnt cut too deep into the main characters.  I could see people like; Tormund, Eddison, Theon, Gendry, Prodrick, Lyanna, Qhono, Greyworm, maybe even a big hit like Jorah or Brienne...but not nobody that still has some questions unanswered like the Lannisters, Jon Snow, Dany, Sam...even like the Hound and Beric...too many holes left filled if any of those guys go out now.  Ironically, all the Starks have kind of come full circle.  The only true unanswered part to their storyarc is Arya's list but even that's not driving anything substantial.  At this point, they could all die but they won't.  Especially because they teased Arya's death with whatever she's running from in all the previews.  Because they lost their balls. 

Dany is a terrible actress.  She's been my biggest complaint of the entire series, to play such a major role and have zero acting ability is a bummer.  The Dany face.  She's become hard to look at which should be impossible to accomplish.

If we're looking for clues as to who dies next week, the show clearly wants to say something about the olds being phased out and all the woke kids taking over the realm, so I wouldn't be surprised if every character over the age of 30 gets whacked and it's all about the PYT's hashing out their feelings about power and dominion. 

Or, if GRRM has one more card to play, he lets a bunch of the younger characters get butchered because they're idealistic dopes and all the older characters sit around the funeral pyre and ponder the meaning of existence and man's brutal nature toward each other. I'd be down for that.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If we're looking for clues as to who dies next week, the show clearly wants to say something about the olds being phased out and all the woke kids taking over the realm, so I wouldn't be surprised if every character over the age of 30 gets whacked and it's all about the PYT's hashing out their feelings about power and dominion. 

Or, if GRRM has one more card to play, he lets a bunch of the younger characters get butchered because they're idealistic dopes and all the older characters sit around the funeral pyre and ponder the meaning of existence and man's brutal nature toward each other. I'd be down for that.

Yeah but that's just because you're old.

42 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I was just thinking that they hadn't gone quite far enough into making this season into some sort of prehistoric coachella.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I was just thinking that they hadn't gone quite far enough into making this season into some sort of prehistoric coachella.

Your rage regarding GoT and Macccagnsn drafting Jonah Williams at 7 is going to carry me through these dog days of spring, sir

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

The latter. It was hinted at in s8e1, by Varys talking to Tyrion and Davos. “Nothing lasts.”

Hunted at again last night by Davis, having survived 2 battles with little fight training. The characters like them, the survivors, the ones who aren’t actually vying for power... those are the ones I’m most curious about, because in GRRM’s world those are the characters that grease the wheels so to speak.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

The latter. It was hinted at in s8e1, by Varys talking to Tyrion and Davos. “Nothing lasts.”

Hunted at again last night by Davis, having survived 2 battles with little fight training. The characters like them, the survivors, the ones who aren’t actually vying for power... those are the ones I’m most curious about, because in GRRM’s world those are the characters that grease the wheels so to speak.

It would be so awesome and fun to watch Jon, Arya, Theon, and Danaerys get absolutely mowed over and next week is all about Tyrion and the Hound sitting around going “what the f%ck?” Maybe they let Sansa live because she’s the least weak

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It would be so awesome and fun to watch Jon, Arya, Theon, and Danaerys get absolutely mowed over and next week is all about Tyrion and the Hound sitting around going “what the f%ck?” Maybe they let Sansa live because she’s the least weak

This would be the truest thing to the world GRRM built, rather than the fairy tale fanboy outcomes.

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This would be the truest thing to the world GRRM built, rather than the fairy tale fanboy outcomes.

Which is the real story of this season. Who’s writing what? The show runner douches are on record saying GRRM gave them the framework of how he wants the story to end, but it didn’t sound like he’d actually written the text, which would explain why the first two episodes have been like this—an exceedingly grim existential circumstance filled with dialogue from Beverly Hills 90210: The Reunion 

• Haha 1