Thoughts on TOJ Joe Caporoso's Jets Mock Draft?

32EBoozer

I'd be all over Beasley at #6. Marpet in the 2nd is a reach( I took him in the 3rd in JN Mock)

I'm OK with Yeldon ( although I took David Johnson over Yeldon in JN Mock)

Conley in the 4th is intriguing. He is a guy who can take the top off a "D" but I see him only in on a few snaps a game at this point of his development.

The two 7th rd. picks I have absolutely no idea about. Maybe some of you guys may have some opinions.

Good draft.... but if we got Beasley @ 6, I might have taken a LT at #34(Ogbuehi or Clemmings)

http://turnonthejets.com/2015/04/nfl-draft-2015-new-york-jets-full-mock-1-0/

93255d364f654cf76f305bf3896a504f_crop_no

By Joe Caporoso.

April 15, 2015

Check out Connor Rogers seven round New York Jets mock draft and Dalbin Osorio’s full first round mock. I thought I’d throw my hat in the ring, with a mock of the first round picks up until the Jets select and a guess at who they will pick with their remaining selections…

1st Round

1. Tampa Bay Bucs – Jameis Winston, QB – Despite some reports starting to say the contrary, I think Jameis is still the guy for Tampa and always has been.
  2. San Diego Chargers – Marcus Mariota, QB – Yes, I think the fire follows the smoke. Ken Whisenhunt gets a veteran he is comfortable with and San Diego starts over at QB before their potential move to LA.
  3. Jacksonville Jaguars – Dante Fowler, Edge – Jets fans are disappointed as a popular target is snatched up by Gus Bradley and the Jags.
  4. Oakland Raiders – Amari Cooper, WR – A needed piece on the outside to grow with David Carr.
  5. Washington Redskins – Leonard Williams, DL – Considered strong value by this point, Washington continues to revamp their front seven.
  6. New York Jets – Vic Beasley, Edge – The Jets get themselves the best pure pass rusher in the draft, who will provide an immediate boost off the edge. Beasley may not begin as a full time player but by the end of the season should get there. Considering the Jets defensive line and secondary, it is not crazy to think he could approach double digit sacks as a rookie.

CooperativeSophisticatedFalcon.gif

2nd Round, 37th Overall

Ali Marpet, OG, Hobart  – The fast rising, small school prospect is taken by the Jets at the top of the second round. He will immediately be in position to compete for reps at the right guard spot with Willie Colon, Oday Aboushi and Dakota Dozier. Fans may be squeamish after how the last small school second round lineman panned out (Vladimir Ducasse) but Marpet is a much stronger overall prospect.

3rd Round, 70th Overall

TJ Yeldon, RB, Alabama – Polished all-around skill-set and immediately ready to contribute in the passing game, both as a blocker and catcher. Chris Ivory, Stevan Ridley and Bilal Powell are all free agents after this season and Yeldon has starting potential long term.

BamaGameWinnerTD_original.gif

4th Round, 101st Overall

Chris Conley, WR, Georgia – An intriguing combination of size and speed (6’2, 4.35 forty yard dash), Conley needs to polish up his route tree and learn how to handle more physical corners. However, he will have time to develop those skills behind Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker, while working as a situational deep threat on the outside, which is something this offense badly needs.

aaron-murray-to-chris-conley-b.gif

7th Round, 198th Overall

Ladarius Gunter, FS, Miami – A player with the versatility to potentially bounce between safety and corner, which could make him valuable long term in Todd Bowles’ defensive back heavy scheme, which loves to move players around the formation. Gunter played well at the Senior Bowl and has experience on kick coverage, an important trait for any late round defensive back.

GT6.gif

7th Round, 199th Overall

Sean Hickey, OT, Syracuse – The Jets take a late round flier on Hickey and hope he can develop into a long term depth player on an offensive line in need of some youth at the tackle position.

Maccagnan has enough developmental projects on the roster, along with his own the free agent guard, to completely ignore the position in the draft. There will be the WR or pass rusher they passed on in the first sitting there, or maybe a RB. It won't be a guard.

Maccagnan has enough developmental projects on the roster, along with his own the free agent guard, to completely ignore the position in the draft. There will be the WR or pass rusher they passed on in the first sitting there, or maybe a RB. It won't be a guard.

Agreed. Do you think Aboushi or Dozier can become D'Brick's replacement? If not I'd be OK with Clemmings or Ogbuehi in Rd. 2

Of course, there still are camp cuts coming where we might be able to grab a potential replacement.

I'm with slats on not taking a guard.

Going to be interesting to see what kind of stance they take on guys like Beasley. Good player, but he's a little slight and doesn't really have the length/strength to set the edge in the run game which Ryan prioritized in OLB's. Bowles supposedly has a similar mentality - scheming a pass rush, blitz heavy, needs corners, etc - so I'm curious to see if he looks for something similar to Ryan in OLB's. Frankly, I wonder if it'll be considered a priority position at all. I'm not sure Beasley's there though, since I think he's tailor made for Jacksonville as a LEO. 

Would have no issue with them taking Conley around that area if they don't take another receiver earlier. Gailey's going to put a bunch of receivers on the field so he should have an opportunity to earn some snaps. Think there would be a more solid but lower upside option on the board in the early 4th, but I'm all for taking a swing on upside when you can. 

Yeldon would be solid. Not a particularly exciting pick but he should be a decent NFL player and brings some skills the Jets lack. A home run hitter would be cool though.

Don't know anything about Gunter. Hickey wouldn't be a bad option that late as far as I know though.

Agreed. Do you think Aboushi or Dozier can become D'Brick's replacement? If not I'd be OK with Clemmings or Ogbuehi in Rd. 2

Of course, there still are camp cuts coming where we might be able to grab a potential replacement.

I think Aboushi and Dozier are both guards, and that the team is locked into Brick for another year or two. He slipped last year, but I think a lot of that had to do with the guard play next to him. If they can shore up that spot, I think Brick can get back to being a better than average LT.

Maybe next year you start looking for a long term replacement.

I'm with slats on not taking a guard.

Going to be interesting to see what kind of stance they take on guys like Beasley. Good player, but he's a little slight and doesn't really have the length/strength to set the edge in the run game which Ryan prioritized in OLB's. Bowles supposedly has a similar mentality - scheming a pass rush, blitz heavy, needs corners, etc - so I'm curious to see if he looks for something similar to Ryan in OLB's. Frankly, I wonder if it'll be considered a priority position at all. I'm not sure Beasley's there though, since I think he's tailor made for Jacksonville as a LEO. 

Would have no issue with them taking Conley around that area if they don't take another receiver earlier. Gailey's going to put a bunch of receivers on the field so he should have an opportunity to earn some snaps. Think there would be a more solid but lower upside option on the board in the early 4th, but I'm all for taking a swing on upside when you can. 

Yeldon would be solid. Not a particularly exciting pick but he should be a decent NFL player and brings some skills the Jets lack. A home run hitter would be cool though.

Don't know anything about Gunter. Hickey wouldn't be a bad option that late as far as I know though.

I really like the idea of using a Pace/Beasley rotation at OLB, especially if it allows Beasley to line up next to Sheldon on third and long. Even if he gets washed in the run game too much, there are enough other stout run defenders to compensate. 

Vic Beasley reminds me of Vernon Gholston....A LOT!

Vic Beasley reminds me of Von Miller. You can do so much more with Beasley ( drop in coverage) that you couldn't do with Gholston. Okay you want someone else in the draft , but that is poor comparison , as neither player are similar. Beasley might not even make it to the sixth pick in the draft.( wouldn't surprise me he was the Raiders pick - play weak side lb on run downs, and move to De on passing downs.

You never want to draft a linebacker who had a good Combine because they're all Vernon Gholston.

Did you see the Sports Science on espn compring cooper to white?  Cooper is faster than White.  they compare white to Julio and Coop to Antonio Brown.

I have watched every game both Julio and Coop played and I would take Coop over him. The Cutting on a dime ability Coop has is 2nd to none

Did you see the Sports Science on espn compring cooper to white?  Cooper is faster than White.  they compare white to Julio and Coop to Antonio Brown.

I have watched every game both Julio and Coop played and I would take Coop over him. The Cutting on a dime ability Coop has is 2nd to none

Wow! High praise for Cooper. Only watched Alabama when the big prime-time games were on.... maybe 3/yr.

Cooper is very impressive.... I'll have to watch that Sports Science episode. I'd take Cooper in a second if Fowler is off the board.

Why do we have to get camp cuts for the future?  The Jets have several guys in camp that are above camp cut level.  Ijalana (former 2nd rounder cut by the Colts because of injury concerns) Brewer (4th rounder from the giants that bounced positions) Carpenter (starting guard has played some RT). Hilliard is kind of an aging mess, but he has 12 starts at T In the NFL.  Sean Hooey is a huge tackle from Cincinnati that got some run with the Rams, but.. more injury concerns.  Qvale was with the team last year also very big from Nebraska   They also have last year's 5th from the Steelers Wesley Johnson who projected at T.  Point is, all these guys probably suck, but so do all the guys getting cut by other teams.  At least we get to take the best of this bunch.

Not a fan of the Marpet or Conley picks there, but I'm down for Beasley at 6 and Yeldon in Rd 3. If they're going OL in Rd 2, I think there will be some really interesting tackle prospects still on the board. 

I actually like Conley and took him for the Ravens in the 3rd in our mock.  Physically a guy like Conley (or Stephen Hill gasp!) is ready to play in the league.  The Jets are not desperate for that now (like 2012) because they have 3 NFL WRs already, but if they want somebody to take the top off he wouldn't be a bad choice.  I did a little unscientific "tape watching" (tmVDF)  and liked him better than some other guys like Locket and Davis.  All these guys have flaws, but at least Conley will always be big and fast.  FWIW, he apparently did poorly during the catching drills at the combine - where HIll excelled.

Vic Beasley reminds me of Vernon Gholston....A LOT!

How?  Beasley is a rocket and seems like might be undersized to me.  Gholston was big and fast, but much more lumbering/straight line fast.  No wiggle.

I have a problem with this mock.  If White is on the board at #6 and they take Beasley, then Mac is crazy.  Gotta pick White there.  He has a greater chance to become our Julio Jones for years to come than Beasley has of becoming an elite pass rusher.  Take White and then the best pass rusher left in rd 2.  I don't like the guard pick in round 2 at all.  I like Conley a lot, think he is underrated, and would love him on the Jets.  But wouldn't need to draft him if we took White in the 1st.  With a Beasley pick in the 1st, getting Conley in the 4th would be fine by me.  I have other backs rated higher than Yeldon who would probably be there as well in the 3rd, so I'm not a fan of this pick either. 

Overall,  I wouldn't be happy with this draft.

The Cutting on a dime ability Coop has is 2nd to none

+1

His cutting ability just jumps off the screen...he seems to never break stride or slow down on his routes.

If he's there, it'll be awfully tough to pass on him....and I'm one of those guys slamming the table for OLB.

I really like the idea of using a Pace/Beasley rotation at OLB, especially if it allows Beasley to line up next to Sheldon on third and long. Even if he gets washed in the run game too much, there are enough other stout run defenders to compensate. 

On one hand I could see it, on the other hand I'm not sure if Beasley's the kind of player who will be a 3 down guy in this system. And I'm not saying he definitively isn't, I'm actually not sure. If they take him I'd be for it, and if they pass I'd get it. Thing about getting washed out in the run game when you're setting the edge is it can lead to some big games. I always think back to when we lost I think Bryan Thomas a few years back and started getting absolutely destroyed against the run. No idea if it's as important in Bowles' system though.

Also wonder if OLB is almost a luxury pick at 6 given the blitzing schemes designed to get free rushers and the quality DL to keep linebackers clean. That's so much to invest in a defense too. A dominant defense would be nice, but how about a functional offense?

I'd like a WR at 6. The offense is still bad, Marshall isn't the #1 for long, and Gailey runs 3 wide sets like 85% of the time supposedly. Upgrade the #3 spot, no pressure on that guy at first, have Marshall and Decker mentor him, and you've hopefully got a long-term offensive centerpiece who you can use off the bat but ease in to a featured role for a team that desperately needs offense. One of Cooper/White is likely to be there, I'm a big fan of both for very different reasons - to me it just makes sense.

And if they can get a guy like Harold or Odighizuwa (not just because it's fun to spell) at 37 or Kikaha maybe even later than that, I think the OLB position gets taken care of and I think the gap between the upside of those guys and the OLB's at 6 isn't as wide as the gap for the WR's at 6 vs. 37.

Thoughts?

I hate it.

Beasley, not huge issue with that pick.  All of the olbs have some kind of question so I would have to relie on MacGagnan to pick the right guy.

Marpet would be an awful awful pick at the top of the 2nd round.  That would be like the Ducasse and Winters pick.  I'm not saying Marpet will not be a useful player in the league at some point in time but he's a few months out of Hobart, other than a brief sprinkle has never played against Div1 guys let alone NFL guys.  I refuse to believe there will not be 15-20 better players early in the 2nd than him, including multiple olinemen.

Yeldon, over drafted early in the 3rd.  There are a LOT of good backs in this draft and thus Yeldons value will get pushed down.

I wouldn't go batty over the Conley pick but once again I think there will quite possibly be better WR sitting there early 4.

I don't know anything about the 7th rounders and those are often crap shoot picks so I can't take him to task for those.

Thoughts?

I hate it.

Beasley, not huge issue with that pick.  All of the olbs have some kind of question so I would have to relie on MacGagnan to pick the right guy.

Marpet would be an awful awful pick at the top of the 2nd round.  That would be like the Ducasse and Winters pick.  I'm not saying Marpet will not be a useful player in the league at some point in time but he's a few months out of Hobart, other than a brief sprinkle has never played against Div1 guys let alone NFL guys.  I refuse to believe there will not be 15-20 better players early in the 2nd than him, including multiple olinemen.

Yeldon, over drafted early in the 3rd.  There are a LOT of good backs in this draft and thus Yeldons value will get pushed down.

I wouldn't go batty over the Conley pick but once again I think there will quite possibly be better WR sitting there early 4.

I don't know anything about the 7th rounders and those are often crap shoot picks so I can't take him to task for those.

Yeldon overdrafted, are you effen nuts, this kid played hurt all last year, why dont you look at his 1st 2 yrs, the kid has 1st rd talent, overdrafted smfh!!!

+1

His cutting ability just jumps off the screen...he seems to never break stride or slow down on his routes.

If he's there, it'll be awfully tough to pass on him....and I'm one of those guys slamming the table for OLB.

If Cooper is there, he's the guy.

Yeldon overdrafted, are you effen nuts, this kid played hurt all last year, why dont you look at his 1st 2 yrs, the kid has 1st rd talent, overdrafted smfh!!!

No he is not a 1st round talent, this is the old 'there are 60 players who are 1st rounders' way of thinking.  As I said there are a lot of good backs in this draft.  He'll get pushed down the list as a result.

No he is not a 1st round talent, this is the old 'there are 60 players who are 1st rounders' way of thinking.  As I said there are a lot of good backs in this draft.  He'll get pushed down the list as a result.

Watching the videos of Yeldon is weird.  He catches and runs really well.  He never runs over anybody or even breaks a tackle In almost any of the highlights though.  He is big, but doesn't play with much power.  Funny thing is that in the mock I had the Ravens at #90 overall Conley and Yeldon were basically what I had come down to.  I decided with Forsett they needed a WR more than a 2nd back to replace Pierce.  This guy picks them both at 70 and 101.

I think Aboushi and Dozier are both guards, and that the team is locked into Brick for another year or two. He slipped last year, but I think a lot of that had to do with the guard play next to him. If they can shore up that spot, I think Brick can get back to being a better than average LT.

Maybe next year you start looking for a long term replacement.

Aboushi has 34" arms and moves pretty well.I can see him becoming Brick's replacement after 2016. Dozier projects as a Guard. Aboushi needs to beat out Giacomini and Hilliard this year to prove he's developing and ready to take over for Brick. Carpenter at RG with Dozier and the losers of Breno, Hilliard, Aboushi,  battling it out for LG and backup duties all along the OL.

Aboushi has 34" arms and moves pretty well.I can see him becoming Brick's replacement after 2016. Dozier projects as a Guard. Aboushi needs to beat out Giacomini and Hilliard this year to prove he's developing and ready to take over for Brick. Carpenter at RG with Dozier and the losers of Breno, Hilliard, Aboushi,  battling it out for LG and backup duties all along the OL.

Isn't Aboushi currently penciled in to start at LG?  I see the line starting in camp like this Brick-Aboushi-Mangold-Carpenter-Breno.  I think that Brewer, Dozier and Winters, plus the rest of those stiffs will be given every opportunity to unseat those guys, but I am not so sure they will want to move Aboushi to tackle so quickly. 

I have a problem with this mock.  If White is on the board at #6 and they take Beasley, then Mac is crazy.  Gotta pick White there.   

+1 I agree White is a better prospect than Beasley. Decker and Marshall are not exactly spring chickens

Isn't Aboushi currently penciled in to start at LG?  I see the line starting in camp like this Brick-Aboushi-Mangold-Carpenter-Breno.  I think that Brewer, Dozier and Winters, plus the rest of those stiffs will be given every opportunity to unseat those guys, but I am not so sure they will want to move Aboushi to tackle so quickly. 

Brick - Carpenter - Mangold - Colon - Breno 

at least on day 1

Brick - Carpenter - Mangold - Colon - Breno 

at least on day 1

Maybe.  They signed Carpenter before Colon and most people saw him as Colon's replacement.  New staff can really shake things up on the offensive line.  They may want different things or value a different skillset without it being apparent to us with what we see.

Watching the videos of Yeldon is weird.  He catches and runs really well.  He never runs over anybody or even breaks a tackle In almost any of the highlights though.  He is big, but doesn't play with much power.  Funny thing is that in the mock I had the Ravens at #90 overall Conley and Yeldon were basically what I had come down to.  I decided with Forsett they needed a WR more than a 2nd back to replace Pierce.  This guy picks them both at 70 and 101.

I love Eddie Lacy, but TJ will have a very good NFL career. Last Yr he was playing at 70%, he wasnt healthy for one game. Look at the games he played his first 2 years. He has Power, Wiggle and Speed.  IMO he was Bama's best runner over the last 6 yrs. 

Aboushi can't play tackle on the NFL level, as he doesn't have the feet to survive there. He will be a guard , or he will eventually be out of the league.

Aboushi can't play tackle on the NFL level, as he doesn't have the feet to survive there. He will be a guard , or he will eventually be out of the league.

Meh, you don't know that. Aboushi made this huge leap of improvement from his first to second season. It was kind of out of nowhere. Not that he was great but his first year he was horrible and then he became serviceable. Who knows what his ceiling is. Now he has new coaches to teach him different techniques. It's good that he came around and the hard work he is putting in is showing in spades.

Archived