Historic Draft That Changed The Jets

flgreen

Oh OK gotcha. But then how does that explain the Bucs giving up 2 firsts for Keyshawn? That would never happen now a days, which makes me feel they weren't valued as much as they are today (first rounders that is).

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

What determines anything is how bad a team wants a player.. You can look no farther then Mike Ditka giving up his whole draft for Ricky Williams or what Dallas got for Herschel Walker.. Some fans forget Shaun Ellis cost the Jets a 1st and a 2nd to move up in the 1st in 2000..That was the Tuna again.. LOL

Your missing the point that was rookie GM Tuna making the deal that wasn't the norm for moving up..

that was the turning point of the franchise, instead of promising manning we'd draft him he punted, then traded Orlando pace for James freaken farrior

that was the turning point of the franchise, instead of promising manning we'd draft him he punted, then traded Orlando pace for James freaken farrior

Plus I think Marino would have been better on a Jet team with the Sack Exchange and Freeman,Hector Walker,Toon and Schuler then the Fins with 2 5'9 W/R's Duper and Clayton and no RB to speak of.. This team always seemed to take the wrong turn at the turning point..LOL

I wonder how many future HOF'er were in this historic draft that changed the course of Jets history. It was a good draft, but historic is pushing it.

I think the writer meant it was historic by how many 1sts the Jets had and who they picked, including Coles in the 3rd.

It's historic in how many 1st rounders we had, but by player selection it just missed out IMO mainly because Pennington never reached his full potential.....that and Becht sucked. If Pennington becomes that franchise QB we hoped he'd be, and we take someone else besides Becht that can play, then I'd agree with the writer in saying that was a historic draft for the Jets.

Plus I think Marino would have been better on a Jet team with the Sack Exchange and Freeman,Hector Walker,Toon and Schuler then the Fins with 2 5'9 W/R's Duper and Clayton and no RB to speak of.. This team always seemed to take the wrong turn at the turning point..LOL

Oh yeah, Marino on the Jets w/Freeman, Toon and Walker... multiple SB's

We get O'Brien, Miami gets Marino and Bills get Kelly

We get Pennington, Pats get brady

when will it be our turn

I was 10. I thought the Guestineau dance was awesome.

me too.. if you were around that age in 85/86 picking the Jets over the Giants was a no brainer.. Jets had the high powered offense to go with the sack exchange, Giants had Joe morris running into the line every play... god they were boring to watch as a kid

me too.. if you were around that age in 85/86 picking the Jets over the Giants was a no brainer.. Jets had the high powered offense to go with the sack exchange, Giants had Joe morris running into the line every play... god they were boring to watch as a kid

In 1986 the Giants were 14-2 beat the 49'ers in the playoffs 49-3 and won the Bowl it wasn't that boring.. :winking0001:

Yep! My dad was one those people that rooted for both ny teams but sided with the Giants. So as a kid I sided w the Jets but would consider Giants second favorite then the Browns when Dixon/Mimniefield came around with the Dawg Pound. When I got old into late HS/college I just stuck w the Jets. But most of my posters were Jets. I had Walker, Toon, McNeil and Shuler Jets but LT and Simms too.

Also Marcus Allen, Mike Quick, Ronnie Lott, Walter Payton

Even tho I was a Yankee fan I had a Dykstra "Nails" poster lol.

Kids don't give a sh*t. They're into the players.

I had so many posters man.

In 1986 the Giants were 14-2 beat the 49'ers in the playoffs 49-3 and won the Bowl it wasn't that boring.. :winking0001:

well 85 was the first season I watched, and the first 11 games of 86 the Jets offense was amazing

Good point. Another poster in another thread reminded me that Jets traded down from 1st overall to 6th overall and only picked up a 4th, 6th and 7th rounders in 1997.

Can you imagine trading up from 6 to 1 this year and only giving up a 4th, 6th and 7th? I wish! Firsts just weren't worth as much back then for whatever reason.

Agreed on the value. Although sometimes it depends who is there at the first. When Luck was coming out, I'm pretty sure even the next 4 years first rounders weren't going to be enough to move up to the first from 6th.

Looking back at the historic draft that changed the Jets

•  

• Rich Cimini, ESPN New York Jets reporter

•  
  • Comment

Rome wasn't built in a day, but the New York Jets were rebuilt in one.

In 2000, the Jets got younger and better with a historic draft that included an unprecedented four first-round picks -- defensive end Shaun Ellis, pass-rusher John Abraham, quarterback Chad Pennington and tight end Anthony Becht. They picked wide receiver Laveranues Coles in the third round, completing a remarkable haul that fueled the franchise for the better part of a decade.

That watershed draft wrapped up 15 years ago today. Take a bow, Bill Parcells.

The New York Jets' 2000 draft, led by Bill Parcells, left, included four first-round picks. AP Photo/Kathy Willens

Parcells, retired from coaching at the time (lol), called the shots from his general-manager chair. He knew he wasn't going to stick around for the long term, so his goal was to leave plenty of parting gifts for his successor, Al Groh, who wound up departing after a year. But that's another story.

How did they get four picks? A quick refresher:

They received the 16th pick from the New England Patriots as compensation for Bill Belichick. On the eve of the draft, Parcells sent that pick to the San Francisco 49ers, moving up to the 12th spot. I didn't know it at the time, but he was trying to get into position to draft wide receiver Plaxico Burress. A neat sidebar: He spoke directly with 49ers' executive Bill Walsh, a Hall of Famer negotiating with a future Hall of Famer -- a heavyweight phone conversation.

The really big move occurred a few days earlier, when the Jets traded disgruntled wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for the 13th and 27th picks -- a highly controversial deal. Parcells took a lot of heat for that one. This was the Darrelle Revis trade of that era.

I remember talking to Groh before the draft, trying to pump him for information on how they would use the picks. Groh, a former New York Giants assistant, tried to be funny, saying he'd like to draft the next Lawrence Taylor, Leonard Marshall and Mark Bavaro. In a total coincidence (or was it?), they ended up picking players at the corresponding positions -- Abraham, Ellis and Becht, respectively. To this day, I wonder if Groh's remark was random or a tip cloaked in what seemed like an absurd analogy at the time.

You know how the day turned out: They picked Ellis and Abraham with the 12th and 13th picks, respectively; they selected Pennington with their own pick, 18th; and they grabbed Becht at 27. Believe it not, the morning-after storyline focused on how the Jets failed to adequately replace Johnson. Sure, they took Coles in the third, but no one outside the organization expected him to amount to anything. After all, he was thrown off his college team and deemed a high-risk pick.

We were wrong. Aside from Burress, Coles turned out to be the best receiver in the draft.

A week or two after the draft, Parcells was talking about the draft to a few reporters at a celebrity golf tournament. I can't remember the exact words (he didn't want to be quoted in the next day's papers), but this was pretty close to what he said: He said it would go down as one of the greatest drafts in history.

No, it won't be remembered as one of the greatest, but it was remarkable in that those five players enjoyed long, productive careers. They played a combined total of 59 years, making eight Pro Bowls along the way. Each one played at least 10 seasons, an Iron-Man accomplishment in this blood sport we call football.

From a team perspective, they helped the Jets to playoff seasons in 2001, 2002, 2004 and 2006. Ellis stuck around the longest (he was replaced by Muhammad Wilkerson in 2011) and, incredibly, Abraham played until last year, finishing with the Arizona Cardinals and 133.5 sacks.

Yes, the Jets will forever be mocked for their long list of draft busts, but on one particular day 15 years ago, they crushed it.

Ugh, nothing but negativity from the other posters. I agree it was a great draft. Abraham was dominant and if it wasn't for a few injury riddled season, should be considered for the HOF. Ellis was a multi year all Pro. Chad was probably our second or third best QB after Namath, and Becht was a great blocking tight end. When Becht left we were exposed at RT and our running game, but people only value receiving stats.

and quite a few dump offs for 4 yards on 3rd and 10

I can't believe nobody has yet mentioned how when we trailed at the end of a game and needed a hail mary, Chad would throw 2 yard dump offs and hope the guy would run 50-60 yards for the TD.  I never understood why our coach didn't put in whoever the backup was at the time to throw deep.  I guess it would have been too humiliating for noodle arm.  But Chad wasn't a dumb guy.  I'm sure he realized he had a noodle arm.  So how could he have taken offense?

Don't like the reasoning. You don't think coaches would have put Brady in as a starter the following year? Mo had nothing to with the career n talent Brady had/has.

I know Pat fans that saw Brady in camp 2001 and they said it was just a matter of time before he replaced Bledsoe injury or not.. BB went 5-11 with Bledsoe in 2000..

I'll never forgive him for not playing vs. Pittsburgh but Abraham was alot of fun to watch when he was here...

While I understand your sentiments.. I distinctly remember Abe himself looking a shade of green that day. He was really sick. Picture yourself the last time you had the flu.

Fever, sore throat, whole body weak and aching, loose stomach, havent eaten in several hours, dehydrated. ...

Now try to imaginarily play an NFL game that day banging heads with 320 lb men.

Brady never wouldve become Brady here.

IDK man those Balco PED's were some real good sh*t, possibly the finest quality sh*t to get passed on to athletes, just look at what Bonds, and Brady were able to accomplish in such a short time. Throw in Brady's ultimate will to be great he just might have been special anywhere as long as he wasn't cut before year 2, that was his first off season after working with Balco's finest, dude went from average Joe physically both arm strength wise, and muscle mass wise to a beast in 7 months working out in the same gym as Bonds back in SF area, and his phone number was also in that dudes client list yet some how the NFL get that covered up also.

Archived