Jameis Winston sued over 2012 sexual assault allegation

32EBoozer

Lawsuit against Winston refers to second victim

Posted by Mike Florio on April 16, 2015, 6:02 PM EDT

Winston

Getty Images

PFT has obtained, through NBC, a copy of the complaint filed Thursday against former Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston. The lawsuit contains a potentially ominous allegation that could, in theory, derail Winston’s bid to become the first overall pick in the draft.

“On October 25, 2013, Plaintiff’s victim advocate at FSU informed her that a second woman had come forward and reported being sexually assaulted by Winston,” the complaint alleges at paragraph 13.

If the Buccaneers are indeed going to select Winston, they likely will investigate the allegation of a second victim before putting him name on the card. It’s possibly they already have; it’s not publicly known whether the Bucs or any other NFL team are aware of the second allegation.

But the public now is, and until more is known about the second allegation, it could complicate Winston’s draft stock.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it is news that there is a second complaint, however producing enough evidence at this point seems unlikely.

The civil suit being filed this week is no doubt for maximum leverage - not sure it will make a difference.

If there was enough proof of a sexual assault, there is no way he would be drafted ... interesting development no doubt.

Forgive me if I don't beleive any of these rape allegations anymore, or at least take them with a Rock of Gibraltar size grain of salt. This false narrative of girls getting raped at all hours of the day every day at college campuses needs to end immediately. Maybe when false accusers and 'victim advocates' start getting a year or 2 in jail for false allegations and ruining people's lives things will change.

I can't stand Winston, but he didn't rape the first girl to begin with. Neither did Kobe, or the Duke Lacrosse players, or the UVA frat boys. This is an epidemic.

You're not going to see The Hunting Ground I'm guessing.

All I'm saying is this: this happened all the way back in December 2012 and here in April 2015, 2 weeks before Jameis gets a big contract, the civil suit comes out, for a case the prosecutor didn't even have enough evidence to bring to trial.

All I'm saying is this: this happened all the way back in December 2012 and here in April 2015, 2 weeks before Jameis gets a big contract, the civil suit comes out, for a case the prosecutor didn't even have enough evidence to bring to trial.

Of course she's timing this, her movie comes out tomorrow. The Bucs already decided about drafting him and knew this was coming.

Of course she's timing this, her movie comes out tomorrow. The Bucs already decided about drafting him and knew this was coming.

forgive me for believing civil lawsuits should not be purposefully timed around the release of documentaries.....if the case could actually stand on its own merits with no other motivations, I think she would have filed suit a long time ago...

forgive me for believing civil lawsuits should not be purposefully timed around the release of documentaries.....if the case could actually stand on its own merits with no other motivations, I think she would have filed suit a long time ago...

I agree.

If the prosecutor didn't even have enough evidence to bring the case to trial, I don't think this civil suit stands much of a chance.

Not true necessarily. In criminal matters the burden of proof is on the state and must meet the threshold of guilt "beyond any reasonable doubt". The proofs in a civil matter are far lower relying on a tipping point referred to as a "preponderance of the evidence". This why O.J. Was sued successfully after beating his indictment.

USA today story seems to say its the original victim, not a second victim

these are serious allegations.  this isnt some drunken hook up gone bad

seems like she is saying if the university punished winston, they would have been satisfied.  I don't think we can dismiss this as extortion since it happened in 2012 and he was hardly a household name at the time

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/04/16/erica-kinsman-civil-lawsuit-jameis-winston-rape-florida-state/25896871/

If it does happen hopefully someone will be dumb enough to trade up for him. Last thing this team needs is to be handcuffed by another sh*tty QB.

We    excel at picking winning QB's.  Bring him in Woody.  HEADLINES are better than wins any day.  :character0182:

USA today story seems to say its the original victim, not a second victim

these are serious allegations.  this isnt some drunken hook up gone bad

seems like she is saying if the university punished winston, they would have been satisfied.  I don't think we can dismiss this as extortion since it happened in 2012 and he was hardly a household name at the time

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/04/16/erica-kinsman-civil-lawsuit-jameis-winston-rape-florida-state/25896871/

Everything I read about that case, had me really concerned about Winston.

I think OP is making a bit of a leap of faith to think that an NFL team will change its draft plans because of a civil lawsuit for a "his word against her word" case that didn't have enough evidence to be brought to trial.  I think they've already done enough homework on the incident on their own to make a decision.

but if we draft him and he gets arrested for rape down the road then we will be accused of not doing our due diligence and "getting a known thug turd just to win"

seriously though, i'd be stunned if a demand wasn't made and rejected recently. best time to score cash is to use draft and fear of embarrassing disclosure as leverage. not commenting of the truth of the allegations but the timing does seem to be influenced by legal/negotiation tactics.

Winston is an idiot, that much is clear regardless of the outcome of this case.  I wouldn't draft him because he'd be a ticking time bomb in a place like NY with all the temptation here, and he throws a lot of interceptions.  I'd rather have Mariota and groom him the right way.

Yep.  Just like Big Ben.

Winston is not going to be a good NFL QB the writing is on the freakin wall yet people still want to draft this guy who had mediocre stats at best yet somehow he was at one point considered the number one pick and still might be . Its ridiculous and I hope to god if he does fall to the Jets they are smart enough to pass.

Funny how this comes out 2 weeks before the draft.  Total coincidence I'm sure....

:sign0103-1:

if this woman was out for a pay day don't you think she would have waited for him to get his number 1 pick over all contract ? There are some college and pro athletes who think they are above the law and with all the domestic violence we have seen in pro sports alone its very alarming. Are some out for money ? Im sure there are but lets wait until a verdict before we point fingers no matter which way it goes. Winston reminds me of a punk who will get his payday from the NFL and move on I can't for the life of me see what anyone see's in him 

Forgive me if I don't beleive any of these rape allegations anymore, or at least take them with a Rock of Gibraltar size grain of salt. This false narrative of girls getting raped at all hours of the day every day at college campuses needs to end immediately. Maybe when false accusers and 'victim advocates' start getting a year or 2 in jail for false allegations and ruining people's lives things will change.

I can't stand Winston, but he didn't rape the first girl to begin with. Neither did Kobe, or the Duke Lacrosse players, or the UVA frat boys. This is an epidemic.

Good thing they weren't hanging with the pick magnet.

If you're the Jets and you see he's available at 6, take him...if he ends up being Patrick Bateman down the road and can't play anymore itll only have been our 30th first round draft pick over the years that didn't work out. Low risk high reward if you ask me.

During the TV interviews and with a rep like this it strikes me Jameis might be an over the top arrogant dbag. He is not dumb, just seems full of himself, immature and stupid.

Dude needs to hit some hard times, grow up and some day could become an awesome QB. The gamble is the NFL $$ prevents him from ever growing up.

Meantime Mariota strikes me as a highly intelligent classy hard working good kid. Reminds me of Roger Staubach.

Archived