Bud Dupree Emerges As Option For Jets

flgreen

OLB Bud Dupree a 'ridiculous' athlete, emerges as option for Jets

1h
Play

• Rich Cimini, ESPN New York Jets reporter

For weeks, we've been tossing around the same names -- Marcus MariotaAmari CooperShane RayVic BeasleyBrandon Scherff and Dante Fowler Jr. They've all been linked to the New York Jets, who own the sixth pick in the upcoming draft.

Allow me to introduce a new name to watch: Kentucky outside linebacker Alvin "Bud" Dupree.

Widely considered a mid- to late-first round pick, Dupree has been gaining momentum in recent days, with some experts saying he could crack the top 10. Pass-rushers are hard to find, and Dupree is intriguing because of his measurables -- 6-foot-4, 269 pounds and a 40-yard dash time of 4.56 seconds at the scouting combine. In four seasons at Kentucky, he finished with 23.5 sacks and 37 tackles for loss.

Dupree has the Jets' attention because, unlike Ray and Beasley, he has prototypical size for an outside linebacker in Todd Bowles' scheme. His upside is scary. The knock on him is that his instincts need work and that he's a better athlete than football player at this stage in his development. You always have to beware of workout warriors. Remember Vernon Gholston, whom the Jets chose with the sixth pick in 2008?

The Jets are doing their homework on Dupree. They met with him on campus and he's on their list of 30 pre-draft visits. Could they take him at No. 6? That might be considered a reach, but he could be an option in a trade-down scenario.

ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay, on a media conference call Friday, was asked about Dupree. He gave a mostly positive review, saying of his size and speed, "His workout numbers are ridiculous. ... God only makes a handful of these type of guys, so you have the tools there to develop, there’s no question about it."

But McShay expressed some concerns, though.

"I think his instincts are getting better, but there are times when he’s not able to go full bore because he’s still diagnosing," he said. "But I think he has improved. Clearly, he’s a hard worker. Everyone I talk to says he works hard in the film room and transfers it -- or he’s learning to transfer it to the field."

McShay compared Dupree to New England Patriots linebacker Jamie Collins, a raw talent who blossomed into a terrific player in his second season. Of course, Collins was a second-round pick, not a high first. Big difference.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Instincts and diagnosing? What the **** is he, a hunter-gatherer physician? This is not stuff you can just tell by watching. Leonard Williams is like the last guy off the ball every snap and he doesn't have people basically calling him a retard.

For once we agree

Actually we only really disagreed once and it was like selling my soul to the devil.

Trade down and still pick up Dupree.

Only way I would like this move, don't want to draft a guy who has to stop, and think about what he is supposed to do week 1 with the 6th overall pick.  I want a Sheldon Richardson type who goes full bore even when he doesn't know what the F he is supposed to do, and his high motor ends up making up for his inexperience.

We have been watching Coples play this way for 3 years now, it isn't totally his fault because of his responsibilities changing every 10 minutes, but he does get the deer in the head lights look, and disappears, I'd rather him just react, and play full boar every play, and make his mistakes, but when he doesn't make a mistake he will pretty much cause extreme havoc as he has that type of talent like Richardson, but just hesitates way to much by trying to diagnose what he is supposed to do.

Instincts and diagnosing? What the **** is he, a hunter-gatherer physician? This is not stuff you can just tell by watching. Leonard Williams is like the last guy off the ball every snap and he doesn't have people basically calling him a retard.

You don't think it's possible to tell when a player has good instincts? Not sure I agree, I also don't think poor instincts = stupid

Yep, no more poor instincts guuys

There is an aura of Gholstonia around this.  Don't give me workout numbers, please!  Gholston ocauld not diagnose a red light.  But boy could he run.

Gholston's numbers don't even remotely compare to what Dupree put up. Dupree put up generational-type numbers.

You don't think it's possible to tell when a player has good instincts? Not sure I agree, I also don't think poor instincts = stupid

I'm not saying that mental processing speed and reaction time don't exist or can't reasonably be estimated. What I'm saying is that as a practical matter when people watch something happen and attribute it to the proverbial bad instincts they're not doing so with any kind of accuracy.

Agree Dupree has been consistent, Vern had a great year after his father died and then regressed

Also had his best games vs bad teams

The year that Gholston had is completely irrelevant to the numbers that he put up at the combine, which aren't in the same ballpark as the ones Dupree put up. 

The year that Gholston had is completely irrelevant to the numbers that he put up at the combine, which aren't in the same ballpark as the ones Dupree put up. 

Yes, Vern was on fire at the combine but only played 25 games vs Bud played in 48 games and has improved

plus Vern has a tough life and the draft gave him $50M, to forget, never had the passion for the game 

Vern is a major reason for the Rookie wage scale, along with Jmarkfat, his goal was a high draft pick and he was done

I'm not saying that mental processing speed and reaction time don't exist or can't reasonably be estimated. What I'm saying is that as a practical matter when people watch something happen and attribute it to the proverbial bad instincts they're not doing so with any kind of accuracy.

^lost me again

He's talking about combine numbers. Gholston had good speed and explosion scores for an edge player. Dupree had amazing speed and explosion scores for a cornerback.

wasn't his 3 cone crappy?

OLB Bud Dupree a 'ridiculous' athlete, emerges as option for Jets

1h
Play

• Rich Cimini, ESPN New York Jets reporter

For weeks, we've been tossing around the same names -- Marcus MariotaAmari CooperShane RayVic BeasleyBrandon Scherff and Dante Fowler Jr. They've all been linked to the New York Jets, who own the sixth pick in the upcoming draft.

Allow me to introduce a new name to watch: Kentucky outside linebacker Alvin "Bud" Dupree.

Widely considered a mid- to late-first round pick, Dupree has been gaining momentum in recent days, with some experts saying he could crack the top 10. Pass-rushers are hard to find, and Dupree is intriguing because of his measurables -- 6-foot-4, 269 pounds and a 40-yard dash time of 4.56 seconds at the scouting combine. In four seasons at Kentucky, he finished with 23.5 sacks and 37 tackles for loss.

Dupree has the Jets' attention because, unlike Ray and Beasley, he has prototypical size for an outside linebacker in Todd Bowles' scheme. His upside is scary. The knock on him is that his instincts need work and that he's a better athlete than football player at this stage in his development. You always have to beware of workout warriors. Remember Vernon Gholston, whom the Jets chose with the sixth pick in 2008?

The Jets are doing their homework on Dupree. They met with him on campus and he's on their list of 30 pre-draft visits. Could they take him at No. 6? That might be considered a reach, but he could be an option in a trade-down scenario.

ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay, on a media conference call Friday, was asked about Dupree. He gave a mostly positive review, saying of his size and speed, "His workout numbers are ridiculous. ... God only makes a handful of these type of guys, so you have the tools there to develop, there’s no question about it."

But McShay expressed some concerns, though.

"I think his instincts are getting better, but there are times when he’s not able to go full bore because he’s still diagnosing," he said. "But I think he has improved. Clearly, he’s a hard worker. Everyone I talk to says he works hard in the film room and transfers it -- or he’s learning to transfer it to the field."

McShay compared Dupree to New England Patriots linebacker Jamie Collins, a raw talent who blossomed into a terrific player in his second season. Of course, Collins was a second-round pick, not a high first. Big difference.

Dupree might turn out to be very good.  But upside is potential.  With Pick Number 6, you have to get more than potential.  Is he better than those guys right now?  Are we guaranteed that he will be?  That is the question.

how about we draft a LB that can actually play LB and stop trying to find the next one trick pony pass rusher . Problem with pure pass rushers is if they fail, which is often, they can't do a damn thing on the field to justify them being on the roster

how about we draft a LB that can actually play LB and stop trying to find the next one trick pony pass rusher . Problem with pure pass rushers is if they fail, which is often, they can't do a damn thing on the field to justify them being on the roster

Mariota sucks.

Archived