Bud Dupree Emerges As Option For Jets

flgreen

Dupree is nothing like Gholston.  His only problem, is he was moved around alot and wasn't really allowed to settle in one position.  I think with a guy like Bowles coaching him and putting him in situations that maximize his strengths, he will be a monster.   I would have no problem with him at 6 but I would prefer to trade down if possible. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dupree might turn out to be very good.  But upside is potential.  With Pick Number 6, you have to get more than potential.  Is he better than those guys right now?  Are we guaranteed that he will be?  That is the question.

You realize there are no guarantees in the draft right?   Duprees floor is still good enough to take the chance on with an upside that is higher than any other edge rushing OLB not named Gregory. 

Dupree might turn out to be very good.  But upside is potential.  With Pick Number 6, you have to get more than potential.  Is he better than those guys right now?  Are we guaranteed that he will be?  That is the question.

Cooper far better choice in that it is the more secure choice. Yes Dupree has a very high upside.  But so does Cooper without the huge risk. 

I don't like Dupree because I don't like the buzzwords used to describe him.

like "more of an athlete than a football player" 

Got to shiver when you hear that.  Johnny Lam Jones and that certain former #6 pick that's been mentioned a couple of times already..  

Alvin Dupree's Versatility Could Make UK DE the 2015 NFL Draft's Top Edge-Rusher

In the National Football League, you can never have too many talented pass-rushers. Teams that don't have them desperately seek them. The teams that do have them are always looking for more.

There's no shortage of talented young edge-rushers set to enter the league in 2015, from Nebraska's Randy Gregory to Clemson's Vic Beasley.

However, while size concerns with Gregory (6'5", 235 lbs) and Beasley (6'3", 246 lbs) raise questions about scheme fits at the professional level, Kentucky's Alvin "Bud" Dupree offers the best of both worlds.

And that just might make Dupree the most interesting prospect of the bunch.

•  

You realize there are no guarantees in the draft right?   Duprees floor is still good enough to take the chance on with an upside that is higher than any other edge rushing OLB not named Gregory. 

There are never any guarantees i  life.  But some guys have this upside thing that many GMs think will make them look smarter than the other guy.  Upside means you do not have it now and may never develop it.  To me, upside is for  later round.

Cooper far better choice in that it is the more secure choice. Yes Dupree has a very high upside.  But so does Cooper without the huge risk. 

That is my point.  A 6 pick should be very secure.  In fact, I think picks one and two would be ready to start on your team.

Every time someone talks about the can't miss edge rusher I go look at the tape (not the highlights, the game tape

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/?draft_class=2015&position=EDGE

and I just can't see anything to get excited about at 6.  Please don't tell me about potential.  At 6 we need a stud.  I've rather have the 3rd best WR in the draft, DeVante Parker (who is not that much of a fall off from Cooper and White) then one of these potential edge rushers.

Someone please look at the tape and show me where Dupree shows anything.  Ok so he has size.....at 6 you've gotta be kidding me if that is your hook.

Let's put Gholston's name on a football and then bury it. #letsgetoverit

Well said!

It's like we have an organizational PTSD:

Posttraumatic stress disorder[note 1] (PTSD) may develop after a person is exposed to one or more traumatic events, such as major stress, sexual assault, terrorism, or

drafting Vernon Golston at #6, or other threats on a person's life.

Every time someone talks about the can't miss edge rusher I go look at the tape (not the highlights, the game tape)

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/?draft_class=2015&position=EDGE

and I just can't see anything to get excited about at 6. Please don't tell me about potential. At 6 we need a stud. I've rather have the 3rd best WR in the draft, DeVante Parker (who is not that much of a fall off from Cooper and White) then one of these potential edge rushers.

Someone please look at the tape and show me where Dupree shows anything. Ok so he has size.....at 6 you've gotta be kidding me if that is your hook.

YAHTZEE

Well said!

It's like we have an organizational PTSD:

Posttraumatic stress disorder[note 1] (PTSD) may develop after a person is exposed to one or more traumatic events, such as major stress, sexual assault, terrorism, or

drafting Vernon Golston at #6, or other threats on a person's life.

I'd be lying if I said that not wanting either QB doesn't have a little to do with the Sanchez effect ;)

I'd be lying if I said that not wanting either QB doesn't have a little to do with the Sanchez effect ;)

Confession is the point where healing can begin. Go ahead and have a good cry. Release your inner SOJF. Go skinny dipping or run naked across the Yankee infield during the 7th inning stretch... be healed.

He's talking about combine numbers. Gholston had good speed and explosion scores for an edge player. Dupree had amazing speed and explosion scores for a cornerback.

Workout numbers don't mean anything. Consider that he played at Kentucky. How many top HS prospects sign to go to Lexington? Not many, and those that do don't expect to play pro football. I wouldn't touch Dupree unless the Jets traded down to around 19 or so. Don't trust workout numbers. If anyone has any game film on him I would like to see that. 

Workout numbers don't mean anything. Consider that he played at Kentucky. How many top HS prospects sign to go to Lexington? Not many, and those that do don't expect to play pro football. I wouldn't touch Dupree unless the Jets traded down to around 19 or so. Don't trust workout numbers. If anyone has any game film on him I would like to see that.

#nailedit

Actually when you're talking pass rushers workout numbers mean a lot

Talking draft was more fun when it was 8 goons still living out of their parents basement in the draft forum

Draft forum was great back in the day, and I surely was one of the goons living in mom's basement. 

Regarding Dupree: 

The only numbers that really matter to me are the cone and short shuttle along with the jumps. I could give a damn about bench press or 40 times. So when it comes to the shuttle and cone Dupree is nothing special. When it comes to the game tape Dupree is nothing special. Guys like him that can jump out of a pool will always go in the first round but theres no way he should be a top 10 guy. 

Dancing Bears, Upside, looks like tarzan plays like Jane, Beast

Favorites for me included : 

-"Twas the night before the draft" by Hammer. 

-Sar lecturing everyone why we should take Leinart over some "Fat stupid lineman" 

-Bongo and his "Fliud information" 

-The Yearly : This Guard is the next Hutchinson (Ex Decastro, Warmack) by Arsenol). 

-Super Units by Ham. 

-Bitonti's predictions that never came true. 

And really how good the debate was on polaring prospects. Guys like Terrance Cody, Jay Cutler, and Vernon Gholston bring the best out of everyone. This feeels like an a weird draft year with less exciting prospects on a team with a fanbase that was close to losing hope. I do think theres going to be alot more excitment at this point next year with much better offseason discussion. 

Draft forum was great back in the day, and I surely was one of the goons living in mom's basement. 

Regarding Dupree: 

The only numbers that really matter to me are the cone and short shuttle along with the jumps. I could give a damn about bench press or 40 times. So when it comes to the shuttle and cone Dupree is nothing special. When it comes to the game tape Dupree is nothing special. Guys like him that can jump out of a pool will always go in the first round but theres no way he should be a top 10 guy. 

...and the jumps? 

Jarron Gilbert went in the 3rd

Favorites for me included : 

-"Twas the night before the draft" by Hammer. 

-Sar lecturing everyone why we should take Leinart over some "Fat stupid lineman" 

-Bongo and his "Fliud information" 

-The Yearly : This Guard is the next Hutchinson (Ex Decastro, Warmack) by Arsenol). 

-Super Units by Ham. 

-Bitonti's predictions that never came true. 

And really how good the debate was on polaring prospects. Guys like Terrance Cody, Jay Cutler, and Vernon Gholston bring the best out of everyone. This feeels like an a weird draft year with less exciting prospects on a team with a fanbase that was close to losing hope. I do think theres going to be alot more excitment at this point next year with much better offseason discussion. 

I remember all of that!! Don't forget Tinstar singing Cutlers praises (although he did go on to have a decent career).  

SAR was the one I remember most because he was ADAMANT that we should take Leinart over Brick.  Boy, oh Boy, that one is hard to live down lol. 

Regarding Dupree:

When a guy is 6'4 270 with a 42" vert and 11.5 foot broad and 1.6 second 10 yard split he's a player who's going to win with explosiveness. With the speed guys I agree shuttle and 3 cone are most important, 40 time is also irrelevant

When a guy is 6'4 270 with a 42" vert and 11.5 foot broad and 1.6 second 10 yard split he's a player who's going to win with explosiveness. With the speed guys I agree shuttle and 3 cone are most important, 40 time is also irrelevant

The issue is he isn't running 40 yards in a straight line or dunking a basketball on Sundays. 

The reason he didn't do the cone, or shuttle at the combine is because he's merely average there. Also try to find me any tape in which he looks that explosive or those numbers transfer to the field. 

Im not the biggest fowler fan but his name is being thrown around in the same sentence as him and I just don't see it. Besides Fowler being much more productive -and way faster on tape- Fowlers fluidity numbers are better then Dupree's.....

But lets say your a big Dupree fan - Where are you taking him in the draft? You would consider him at 6?

The issue is he isn't running 40 yards in a straight line or dunking a basketball on Sundays. 

The reason he didn't do the cone, or shuttle at the combine is because he's merely average there. Also try to find me any tape in which he looks that explosive or those numbers transfer to the field. 

Im not the biggest fowler fan but his name is being thrown around in the same sentence as him and I just don't see it. Besides Fowler being much more productive -and way faster on tape- Fowlers fluidity numbers are better then Dupree's.....

But lets say your a big Dupree fan - Where are you taking him in the draft? You would consider him at 6?

I'd put him in the same group as most of the rest of the top olbs, all of whom have some kind of wart or drawback to go along with their big strengths.  The thing that both Fowler and Dupree seem to have going for them at least via the highlights I have seen is that they look like 3 down olbs who seem to have something to offer re stopping the run and having some clue in pass defense.

I'm rather torn on the subject.  Nice to have a more all around guy but he still has to get to the QB. 

Besides Fowler being much more productive

Fowler in college:

74 solo tackles, 140 TKLs, 33 TFL, 14.5 sacks, 25 hurries, 2 PDs, 5 FFs,1 FR

Dupree in college:

145 solo tackles, 247 TKLs, 37 TFL, 1 INT, 1 TD, 23.5 sacks, 5 PDs, 1 blocked kick, 9 QB hurries, 4 FF

Fowler in college:

74 solo tackles, 140 TKLs, 33 TFL, 14.5 sacks, 25 hurries, 2 PDs, 5 FFs,1 FR

Dupree in college:

145 solo tackles, 247 TKLs, 37 TFL, 1 INT, 1 TD, 23.5 sacks, 5 PDs, 1 blocked kick, 9 QB hurries, 4 FF

I'm assuming he meant the non-measurable type of production.  It's the statistical equivalent of the eye-test. 

Archived