Not Hard To Read Handwriting On Jets QB Wall

flgreen

Sunday notes: Not hard to read handwriting on Jets' QB wall

13h
  •  
  • Rich Cimini, ESPN New York Jets reporter

•  

A look at what's happening around the New York Jets:

1. On thin ice? Geno Smith's future has been the subject of speculation, with one report suggesting the Jets are ready to move on. I can tell you this much: His roster spot is not in jeopardy. Is his starting job? Absolutely. Even though Smith will go into training camp as the No. 1 quarterback, as head coach Todd Bowles said recently in his non-endorsement endorsement, there are some people familiar with the Jets' thinking who believe Ryan Fitzpatrick will be the opening-day starter.

Don't be too surprised if the Jets' quarterback in the season opener is Ryan Fitzpatrick. AP Photo/Don Wright

It's not hard to connect the dots. They've probably checked out every available quarterback under the age of 40. Before trading for Fitzpatrick, they talked to Brian Hoyer and Josh McCown and worked out Josh Freeman. Now they're in draft mode, and they've conducted private workouts and/or pre-draft visits with the top five prospects -- Jameis WinstonMarcus MariotaBryce PettyBrett Hundley and Garrett Grayson. They might as well place a "help wanted" ad on Craigslist. They want to add another quarterback; Bowles said so himself.

Obviously, Smith will be yesterday's news if they pick Winston or Mariota. There's a huge drop-off to the next tier of prospects, with some experts saying there are no future starters among the Petty-Hundley-Grayson group. Each one has a hole in his game, scouts say, but they could get pushed up to the second round because of supply and demand at the position. If the Jets roll the dice with one of these quarterbacks (don't be surprised if it's Grayson in the third), it would be akin to an SOS flare. And then we'll know exactly how they feel about Smith.

2. Curtis losing faith in Geno: Add Curtis Martin's name to the list of Smith skeptics. In an April 7 interview on the Talk of Fame Network, the Hall of Fame running back replied without hesitation when asked if he's concerned about the Jets at quarterback.

"Yes,” he said. “I don’t think Geno has shown he can get the job done. Now, a lot can happen in an offseason, and I think his commitment to the offseason is going to determine what he‘s able to do this year. [bill] Parcells used to tell me, ‘You have two years to get it done, and three is the max.’ I believe this is Geno’s third year, [so] he’s going to really have to produce. And if I was an owner of the team, he would really have to produce to stay around.”

3. Curtis on Jets-Patriots: He's biased, of course, but Martin believes the Jets have added enough talent to give the New England Patriots a run in the AFC East.

"I think they’re going to challenge them this year," he said. "They haveA[Antonio] Cromartie and [Darrelle] Revis back. They’re one of the few tandems in the NFL that slows [Tom] Brady down. So I think that’s going to give them an advantage in comparison to last year. I [also] think Todd Bowles is great for the team. I do think they needed to make a coaching change, not because Rex [Ryan] wasn’t a good coach but because New York is just a place, a city, where you have to win. And, for the last few years, he hasn’t won. And so I think the change was necessary, and I like Todd Bowles.”

4. The mouth that roars: I'm not shocked by Ryan's biting responses to Jace Amaro (does the name Channing Crowder ring a bell?), but I am surprised he spoke publicly about the behind-the-scenes shenanigans during his final two seasons with the Jets. I thought he was going to let bygones be bygones, but he was obviously wounded by his ouster and decided to vent to Sports Illustrated.

One thing he didn't say in the article was how disappointed he was by the contract extension after the 2013 season. It was billed by the team as a multiyear extension, but it was really only an extra year of guaranteed money -- and Ryan believed he had earned more security. This never became public, but he had some misgivings about signing it, especially when he saw big money going to first-timers like Bill O'Brien. In the end, he realized he had little leverage because the Jets held his rights for 2014.

5. Here comes the schedule: The NFL announced it will release the 2015 schedule this week. We're hearing it could be as early as Tuesday. A Jets-Buffalo Bills opener in prime time (Sunday or Monday) would have a lot of Rex appeal, so to speak. How 'bout Jets-Patriots? That would have some juicy subplots, including Revis. Maybe by then the league will have resolved the dual tampering charges.

As Super Bowl champs, the Patriots have the honor of opening the season on Thursday night, Sept. 10. Looking at their home schedule, the most compelling opponents are the Jets, Bills, Pittsburgh Steelers and Philadelphia Eagles.

6. All kinds of smoke: Based purely on talent and scheme fit, Nebraska pass-rusher Randy Gregory would be ideal for the Jets with the sixth pick. But he tested positive for marijuana at the scouting combine, later acknowledging he had multiple failed tests in college. The people I've talked to say they'd be surprised if the Jets, with a new regime, pulled the trigger on Gregory. A similar situation occurred 20 years ago. The Jets passed on Warren Sapp because of positive tests, opting for Kyle Brady. No need to elaborate on how that turned out.

7. That's smarts: There's no need to worry about low Wonderlic scores for Winston and Mariota, as they reportedly scored 27 and 33, respectively -- both above average. The league's intelligence test is scored on a scale of 1 to 50. The Jets can take pride in knowing they've had two of the smartest quarterbacks in history -- Greg McElroy and Fitzpatrick, both of whom nailed it with a 48. Ryan used to call McElroy the smartest guy in the building.

8. The Sherff dilemma: Iowa offensive lineman Brandon Scherff is widely regarded as one of the top six to eight players in the draft, but I'm wondering how he'd fit with the Jets if they pick him at six. He played left tackle in college, but he's seen as a better right tackle or guard on the pro level. Right tackle Breno Giacomini had his ups and downs in the first year of a four-year, $18 million contract, but I don't see the Jets cutting bait after one year -- especially because $2.5 million of his $4.5 million base salary is fully guaranteed. Maybe they'd use Scherff at guard for a year before moving him to right tackle. I still say they end up with a pass-rusher or a wide receiver.

It would be awesome to play Rex and the Bills at home on the first Sunday or Monday night game of the year.

I'd also love to open up in NE for their banner night and rain on their parade. The Pats are usually most vulnerable in the first month of the season too.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

It is obvious that the Jets want to move on from Geno, but he will be the #1 QB in mini-camp, and it's up to him to prove he's worth playing - if he is. I think mental toughness is his biggest weakness. Does he have what it takes to impress a new regime with zero ties to him? It's uphill for him, at a minimum.

I'd be shocked if the Jets open the season at the Patriots, the NFL just isn't in the habit of opening the year with a 4-12 team. My money's on the Steelers. Now opening the year with Rex returning to Giants Stadium II? That could happen.

There is no Scherff dilemma. You don't take a G/RT at #6 overall. Not with the OLB/WR/QB(?) potential on the board there.

It is obvious that the Jets want to move on from Geno, but he will be the #1 QB in mini-camp, and it's up to him to prove he's worth playing - if he is. I think mental toughness is his biggest weakness. Does he have what it takes to impress a new regime with zero ties to him? It's uphill for him, at a minimum.

I'd be shocked if the Jets open the season at the Patriots, the NFL just isn't in the habit of opening the year with a 4-12 team. My money's on the Steelers. Now opening the year with Rex returning to Giants Stadium II? That could happen.

There is no Scherff dilemma. You don't take a G/RT at #6 overall. Not with the OLB/WR/QB(?) potential on the board there.

I think his inability to read defenses is his biggest weakness. 

Other than drafting Geno Smith, signing  Giacomini is the worst thing Idzik did for the Jets.

Geno was not a bad draft pick, just a bad player who was forced into the lineup about 6 games too soon after Rex went "all in" on the Snoopy bowl

Idzik's top 5 worst moves have to include; actually making all 12 draft picks and not calling Revis back to match his Pats* deal last year, talk about sliding doors based on one phone call!

I think his inability to read defenses is his biggest weakness.

The kid went from the pistol in college to a WCO in the pros. He never should've been in that position. The learning curve was way too steep to throw him in as the starter like that, but the new GM and Sanchez' Snoopy Bowl injury forced their hand. Disaster all around.

Gailey has shown that he can scheme for his QB over his career. I think he can put Geno in a position to have some success - I really do. But they'd have to commit to him pretty early for that to happen. If they've already decided on Fitzpatrick as the default starter, they'll install an offense more tailored to his strengths and weaknesses.

It's his resiliency that I question the most. I don't he's think he's a dummy. I think he can learn and get better reading defenses. It's how he responds to adversity where I question him the most. When he sulks on the sideline by himself when things go wrong. More than anything else, that makes me wonder whether he can get it together at this level. I like how he responded to his benching last season, though. We'll see. I'll root for the kid, but I wouldn't bet on him.

Starting Fitzpatrick makes all the sense in the world unless Geno shows up to camp playing like Joe Montana. Fitzpatrick will keep the offense reasonably productive while allowing Geno to get out of the spotlight and re-learn the game. He was in the worst possible situation last year with the coaching turmoil, injury to Kerley, etc. I don't think he's irredeemable, but I would like to see them hit the restart button on his development.

Plus, Fitzpatrick is fun to watch when he's on.

The kid went from the pistol in college to a WCO in the pros. He never should've been in that position. The learning curve was way too steep to throw him in as the starter like that, but the new GM and Sanchez' Snoopy Bowl injury forced their hand. Disaster all around.

Gailey has shown that he can scheme for his QB over his career. I think he can put Geno in a position to have some success - I really do. But they'd have to commit to him pretty early for that to happen. If they've already decided on Fitzpatrick as the default starter, they'll install an offense more tailored to his strengths and weaknesses.

It's his resiliency that I question the most. I don't he's think he's a dummy. I think he can learn and get better reading defenses. It's how he responds to adversity where I question him the most. When he sulks on the sideline by himself when things go wrong. More than anything else, that makes me wonder whether he can get it together at this level. I like how he responded to his benching last season, though. We'll see. I'll root for the kid, but I wouldn't bet on him.

Hope springs eternal. Guy cant subtract 3 from an integer. He cannot and will never learn an NFL playbook. He better hope fitz isnt ready for opener or gets hurt during season. Probably his last chance to start in NFL. Out of league in '17.

Starting Fitzpatrick makes all the sense in the world unless Geno shows up to camp playing like Joe Montana. Fitzpatrick will keep the offense reasonably productive while allowing Geno to get out of the spotlight and re-learn the game. He was in the worst possible situation last year with the coaching turmoil, injury to Kerley, etc. I don't think he's irredeemable, but I would like to see them hit the restart button on his development.

If fitz is ready, he is starting. Make no mistake.

Hope springs eternal. Guy cant subtract 3 from an integer. He cannot and will never learn an NFL playbook. He better hope fitz isnt ready for opener or gets hurt during season. Probably his last chance to start in NFL. Out of league in '17.

Disagree with every sentence after the first one. No surprise there, though, either.

He is irredeemable. As far as "Smiths" go, he is Akili, not Alex. NFL playbook beyond his ability to process. And even the dumbass 90s Bengals were smart enough to give up on Akili after his second year, and he was a top 3 pick.

If fitz is ready, he is starting. Make no mistake.

Which is the right move, IMO. Let Geno sink or swim in the film room without the pressure of having to go out and embarrass himself while learning the game. No one in the building has any loyalty to Geno, so he's going to have to make it on merit, which will be good for him as well as the Jets. The only reason to give him any sort of pass is because every QB Rex had here played exactly the same way.

6. All kinds of smoke: Based purely on talent and scheme fit, Nebraska pass-rusher Randy Gregory would be ideal for the Jets with the sixth pick. But he tested positive for marijuana at the scouting combine, later acknowledging he had multiple failed tests in college. The people I've talked to say they'd be surprised if the Jets, with a new regime, pulled the trigger on Gregory. A similar situation occurred 20 years ago. The Jets passed on Warren Sapp because of positive tests, opting for Kyle Brady. No need to elaborate on how that turned out.

eeyoreraincloud.png

The media desperately wants a QB controversy so they will do everything they can to annoint Fitz the starter and trash Geno. Ehy don't we go with what the coach said? Geno will be #1 in camp and it will be his job to lose. No one here knows how he will respond to the new environment and competent coaching. People forget that Geno does have elite upside, and coincidentally did well when Rex stopped meddling after he tossed in the towel the last couple of seasons.

Look it is simple. If right now the Jets think Fitz is the starter we are screwed. If that is the case, then if they think Mariota or Winston are franchise guys they need to do whatever they need to do to get him. Three number ones, whatever. We will win nothing with Fitz. Geno may develop, or he may be damaged beyond repair. But accepting a backup guy as your QB is also accepting mediocrity. 

I would much rather sign someone like Austin Davis who showed some good things last year but was yanked by their buffoon coach, and see if we can develop him than start a backup at best retread. Anyone wanting that is an idiot.

Until he throws that int at the end of the game to ice it. I've always liked Amish Rifle, but he always seems to fall just short when the game is on the line. 

that's probably correct.  I love Cooper at 6 and would be very happy with White or Fowler.  Beasley would be my 4th choice there.

I totally agree with you, those are my preferences also! Most recent mocks now have Fowler gone prior to 6.

Which is the right move, IMO. Let Geno sink or swim in the film room without the pressure of having to go out and embarrass himself while learning the game. No one in the building has any loyalty to Geno, so he's going to have to make it on merit, which will be good for him as well as the Jets. The only reason to give him any sort of pass is because every QB Rex had here played exactly the same way.

This. 

Nope.  But you don't waste pick #6 on a player who can be had at #10 or lower.  

Really?  Literally almost every mock draft has Scherff going 9 to the Giants and some have had him going as high as 5 to the Skins.

No glorified option qb's or OLB's who can't beat an NFL OT if their lives depended on it please.

Really?  Literally almost every mock draft has Scherff going 9 to the Giants and some have had him going as high as 5 to the Skins.

No glorified option qb's or OLB's who can't beat an NFL OT if their lives depended on it please.

Hey, I want Cooper or White at #6 and wouldn't trade out of it if either one of them is there.  But I surely wouldn't pick an OG who might be good at OT in slot 6.  Just my opinion man.  

Archived