Fitz to start (I hope)

LIJetsFan

At this point in time, Fitz is the obvious starter, even though I think he's career is nearing the end. The ideal situation would be Geno lighting it up in training camp and pre-season, proving he has what it takes to be our guy, and outing the previous coaching staff as a bigger detriment to his game than his own limitiations.

But, alas, I have no hope.

Yea Sanchez was awesome once he was away from Rex.

For the record, after Mex was away from Rex,  I took a Kel-Tek KSG to one of my #6 jerseys out in the desert and pretty much shredded it.   I am saving the home jersey for an even better fate.   

And that is the shame of his career. That kid should never have been anybody's starting QB coming out of WV.

Agreed and I also agree with what poster Drdetroit said in an ealrier post which is that it might do Geno well to sit for a smidgeon and learn the new system while Fitz goes out and plays in a system he is already at least slightly comfortable with. There is a very real possibility that Fitz will get injured and that would be a good time for Geno to come in and play.

Now if Geno out plays Fitz in TC then he will start. and that is what it is. I don't see the new regime playing favorites in their first season of competition. 

i have not given up on Smith as many have, but at the same time am also not as down on Fitz as many are. I remember when we signed Vinnie T and I thought... Why? He sucks. so....

Football Outsider

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/2014-adjusted-interceptions

has a chart that shows Geno's adjusted interception rate was slightly superior to Fitz's, so go and figure.

Geno: attempted 366, int 13, 3.6%.......adjusted int 15, 4.1%

Fitz:    attempted 311, int 8,   2.6%.......adjusted int 13, 4.2%

The cumulative IQ of the Jets went up dramatically when Fitzpatrick walked through the door.

I hope he starts.

Geno has the athletic ability but we need some smarts behind center.

Maybe fitz can ride on genos shoulders

People who think geno should start are basing that thought on hope. In real world that is not a strategy. There is no universe except a delusional alternate one where geno should be taking snaps ahead of ryan fitzpatrick.

That universe your describing is this one. 

Fitz is coming in hurt, old, and on a 1 year contract to help teach youngsters the offense. Fitz never did and never will beat the Elite teams in this league. 

Geno is signed for next year, has immense upside, is healthy and will have legit targets for the first time in his career with the best coaches he has had. He has shown improvement both years he played. 

Yes Geno has issues turning the ball over - Well so does Fitzpatrick. 

I am not a huge Geno fan but in our situation Geno needs to be starting from day 1. This is a rebuild - Geno cut down his turnovers and upped his completion rate last year and played really well the last few games. His decision making was drastically different towards the end of the season when he finally let loose. We need to see if he can take the next step and if not it will be time to let him go. 

I know it is the popular thing to do to hate Geno - But remember he is VERY similar to Mariotta athletically and in the offense they ran in college. Mariotta is not expected to be good for several years - So why wouldn't Geno be given the same shot? 

Fitz is coming in hurt, old, and on a 1 year contract to help teach youngsters the offense. Fitz never did and never will beat the Elite teams in this league. 

Geno is signed for next year, has immense upside, is healthy and will have legit targets for the first time in his career with the best coaches he has had. He has shown improvement both years he played. 

I am not a huge Geno fan but in our situation Geno needs to be starting from day 1. This is a rebuild - Geno cut down his turnovers and upped his completion rate last year and played really well the last few games. His decision making was drastically different towards the end of the season when he finally let loose. We need to see if he can take the next step and if not it will be time to let him go. 

I know it is the popular thing to do to hate Geno - But remember he is VERY similar to Mariotta athletically and in the offense they ran in college. Mariotta is not expected to be good for several years - So why wouldn't Geno be given the same shot? 

A better question is: With his immense upside and prodigious physical gifts, if he can't beat out Fitzpatrick in his third season--a guy you so helpfully point out is deficient in so many ways--why the Hell should he be given another year?

A better question is: With his immense upside and prodigious physical gifts, if he can't beat out Fitzpatrick in his third season--a guy you so helpfully point out is deficient in so many ways--why the Hell should he be given another year?

Im not speaking in "If's".....I am saying as clearly as possible that Geno will be our starting QB this season on opening day. Its just the way the NFL works. 

Im not speaking in "If's".....I am saying as clearly as possible that Geno will be our starting QB this season on opening day. Its just the way the NFL works. 

And I say just as clearly that my opinion is the odds favor Fitz starting if he is physically able to do so. I do not speak in absolutes--those are born of arrogance--but if forced to bet, my money is on Fitz. Ain't the offseason grand? :cheers:

And I say just as clearly that my opinion is the odds favor Fitz starting if he is physically able to do so. I do not speak in absolutes--those are born of arrogance--but if forced to bet, my money is on Fitz. Ain't the offseason grand? :cheers:

Agree...Hell, we could all say based on new HC/GM that Simms or trhe QB we draft somwhere in the draft is the starter,,No one knows,, Thats why we are the JETS, LOL

swami-crystal-ball.jpg

I wonder how many threads there will be debating if Geno sucks or not. Same five people are only ones who think it's not Geno's fault he sucks. Everyone else knows he sucks and always will.

It has been my experience in life to avoid speaking in absolutes as they often come back to bite you in the ass.... just sayin.

1 Fitz is 32, not old at all for a QB, he is not a RB for christ sakes.  He has a clean break in his leg.  Its not like a shoulder injury.

2 Geno does not have huge upside, at all.

3 The Jets are NOT in rebuild mode, not with all the 30+ year old players.   This is a win now and a building team.  which is exactly what it should be.

Archived