What are your Expectations of Shaq Evans and Quincy Enunwa?

JetBlue

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have high expectations of either, but I think Evans has the better shot to contribute and make the roster.   

Evans has some nice physical tools, and I think he can be developed into maybe a No. 3 type guy.   He has decent size, good speed, but needs to work on his hands and route running.  

Enunwa to me seems like a back end guy that has to play ST to really contribute much other than insurance.  

Why? We will be playing 3, 4 and even some 5 receiver sets.  There is also always the possibility of injuries.  Both of those guys are basically rookies, and have ability.  After Marshall, Decker and Kerley we need some depth.  My expectations are they will compete and have a legit chance to make the team.

Barring future acquisitions, they will compete to make the team, that's a given.

Barring future acquisitions, or injury, they will make the team, that's a given.

Usually when people discuss "expectations", it's a little more projection-based than simply stating obvious current fact i.e. "they get to be in camp if we don't sign or draft anyone".

Well, yeah, and?

I liked what I saw from Enunwa in TC in person during the preseason and the guy loves to hit.  He's not a polished receiver but that's to be expected from somebody who spent his early HS years playing LB, RB and CB before moving to WR.  Playing at a run-first school like Nebraska was obviously going to limit his production but he made the most of it and got better from year to year.

Really rooting for this guy...4.45 40 time with good size, fights for the ball and good at pulling it down in a crowd.  I like what I've seen from him so far.

The new regime has no ties to a fourth and sixth round pick from last season. They traded for Marshall because they have no interest in either of them cracking the top three. If they go WR in the first or second round, that'll further demonstrate just how difficult it will be for either of these guys to even make the team.

I have no expectations at all.

Well said. Enunwa and Evans = L O L

The new regime has no ties to a fourth and sixth round pick from last season. They traded for Marshall because they have no interest in either of them cracking the top three. If they go WR in the first or second round, that'll further demonstrate just how difficult it will be for either of these guys to even make the team.

I have no expectations at all.

I don't know that trading for a new #1 = no interest in a possible #4/#5 now with possibility of bigger things in the future.  Marhshall/Decker/Kerley is set....beyond that anything can happen.  Obviously if they take a WR in rd. 1 it makes life more difficult on the Enunwa/Evans/Hakim/Owusu's of the world, but one or two of 'em could make the roster.

I expect nothing from them to be honest.  I am not an Idzik hater like most on this forum but his choices for WR in that last draft just STUNK.

Owusu has some potential, I think we draft at least one Wr this year, it will take a number of injuries for the guys you mentioned to have a shot.  I'll say one thing, they better have outstanding camps or they are history sooner than later.

Via Gil Brandt

Shaq Evans, WR, New York Jets

Draft position: Round 4, No. 115

The Jets need receivers, and Evans is a talented one. He's also fast. He ran the first 10 yards of the 40-yard dash at the combine in 1.47 seconds -- that's truly flying. Evans, who racked up 107 catches in his last two years at UCLA, will catch the crossing routes. He's strong and has good size, with a body build that is reminiscent of Michael Irvin. Like many young receivers, Evans is just an average blocker.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000355819/article/tom-savage-alfred-blue-among-impact-players-drafted-on-day-3

I would like to see them both make the final 53 man roster. If the Jets kee6 6 wrs.

Marshall

Decker

Rookie

Kerley

Owusu

Evans

Enunwa

Who do you suggest we get rid of.

love that an unknown rookie from any round is ahead of Kerley.

What a terrible deal. The only thing I'm really pissed at Idzick about. Except Saunders over Bryant

Barring future acquisitions, they will compete to make the team, that's a given.

Barring future acquisitions, or injury, they will make the team, that's a given.

Usually when people discuss "expectations", it's a little more projection-based than simply stating obvious current fact i.e. "they get to be in camp if we don't sign or draft anyone".

Well, yeah, and?

You tell me; you are the one with NO expectations.  Usually when people post they have something worth adding to the conversation. 

Via Gil Brandt

Shaq Evans, WR, New York Jets

Draft position: Round 4, No. 115

The Jets need receivers, and Evans is a talented one. He's also fast. He ran the first 10 yards of the 40-yard dash at the combine in 1.47 seconds -- that's truly flying. Evans, who racked up 107 catches in his last two years at UCLA, will catch the crossing routes. He's strong and has good size, with a body build that is reminiscent of Michael Irvin. Like many young receivers, Evans is just an average blocker.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000355819/article/tom-savage-alfred-blue-among-impact-players-drafted-on-day-3

Thanks for that; I am intrigued by Evans and I hope he can impress enough to make the team.  I think he can become a nice player. 

They both have the ability to make the team and I hope they can contribute, but if we draft Cooper their journey will become more difficult, I would like to see Shaq get a chance to play, he could be really good

That is why I don't see us drafting Cooper.  Maybe a receiver in the 2nd or third round but why in the first?  Take the edge rusher, whoever is left of Beasley, Gregory, Fowler.  

I liked what I saw from Enunwa in TC in person during the preseason and the guy loves to hit.  He's not a polished receiver but that's to be expected from somebody who spent his early HS years playing LB, RB and CB before moving to WR.  Playing at a run-first school like Nebraska was obviously going to limit his production but he made the most of it and got better from year to year.

Really rooting for this guy...4.45 40 time with good size, fights for the ball and good at pulling it down in a crowd.  I like what I've seen from him so far.

Exactly. It is funny how everyone is hyped about this wide out class when last year was even deeper. Is it possible that we already have a one or two quality receivers, that just need an opportunity, already on the team?  I am all for drafting a receiver but too many people are ready to drop these guys into the nearest dumpster. 

I just expect them to play good special teams and continue to develop. If they can't play special teams they won't make the roster since they'll be at the back end of the depth chart.

Good point... 

Exactly. It is funny how everyone is hyped about this wide out class when last year was even deeper. Is it possible that we already have a one or two quality receivers, that just need an opportunity, already on the team?  I am all for drafting a receiver but too many people are ready to drop these guys into the nearest dumpster. 

Funny but sometimes it feels like a lot of fans have a "superstar or bust" mentality.  Sometimes you're going to stick with good players who have potential with the hope of developing them over time.

Funny but sometimes it feels like a lot of fans have a "superstar or bust" mentality.  Sometimes you're going to stick with good players who have potential with the hope of developing them over time.

Yeah, it is called coaching and player development. Admittedly something most of us haven't seen around these parts.  Lets hope that has finally changed. 

That is why I don't see us drafting Cooper.  Maybe a receiver in the 2nd or third round but why in the first?  Take the edge rusher, whoever is left of Beasley, Gregory, Fowler.  

I would like to see them spend some time to develop the players they have regardless of who drafted them, Evans has the skill and Enunwa show some fight at the end of the year

OLB is probably the biggest need behind QB so they really are in a BPA mode at 6, too bad there is not a stud LT/RT in the draft this year, I think the Brick, Mangold draft is underrated on how much it fueled the 09/10 seasons

I don't know that trading for a new #1 = no interest in a possible #4/#5 now with possibility of bigger things in the future.  Marhshall/Decker/Kerley is set....beyond that anything can happen.  Obviously if they take a WR in rd. 1 it makes life more difficult on the Enunwa/Evans/Hakim/Owusu's of the world, but one or two of 'em could make the roster.

Does that qualify as an expectation for Enunwa or Evans? To make the team, they'll have to impress as a WR or special teamer, and they're already behind Hakim and Owusu on the special teams front. Throw in another draft pick, and there's one -maybe two- WR openings on the team. Sure, it'd be great if one of these guys breaks thru, but I continue to have no expectations at all.  

I would like to see them spend some time to develop the players they have regardless of who drafted them, Evans has the skill and Enunwa show some fight at the end of the year

Did you see him do something?  I know they activated him for the last game, but I don't remember him doing anything. 

While we're talking explosion scores...

http://mockdraftable.com/player/4438/

Yeah.  Enunwa is physically at least as imposing as Evans.  Evans had more production/pedigree.  Enunwa seems to have the better special team mentality. 

Because Cooper is considered a can't miss prospect and you do not adjust your draft based upon Evans and Enunwa. 

Did you see him do something?  I know they activated him for the last game, but I don't remember him doing anything. 

Yeah.  Enunwa is physically at least as imposing as Evans.  Evans had more production/pedigree.  Enunwa seems to have the better special team mentality. 

Because Cooper is considered a can't miss prospect and you do not adjust your draft based upon Evans and Enunwa. 

So we pass on top edge rushers because of Cooper? I don't see it.  If we want to win games we HAVE to be able to get to the quarterback.   There are alot of very talented receivers in this draft; we could take a Tre McBride, Kenny Bell or Chris Conley in round 3 or 4 and upgrade our receiving corp.  Any one of those guys and who ever wins out between Enunwa and Evans, would make our receiving corp very formidable.  

OLB is probably the biggest need behind QB so they really are in a BPA mode at 6, too bad there is not a stud LT/RT in the draft this year, I think the Brick, Mangold draft is underrated on how much it fueled the 09/10 seasons

Exactly. If they take Cooper I sure hope they have a plan to get that edge rusher from someplace.  I did like what IK showed last year and Reilly may also have some ability in that regard.  

I am in favor of getting the Edge Rusher in round 1 because with the depth at receiver and running back, we can then take a real hard look at what OT are available in the 2nd round and still get a quality receiver and running back in the 3rd and 4th rounds. 

Does that qualify as an expectation for Enunwa or Evans? To make the team, they'll have to impress as a WR or special teamer, and they're already behind Hakim and Owusu on the special teams front. Throw in another draft pick, and there's one -maybe two- WR openings on the team. Sure, it'd be great if one of these guys breaks thru, but I continue to have no expectations at all.  

Hakim sucks; Owusu showed flashes but he is one more concussion from calling it a career.  I promise you if we cut Evans for either one of them, we will regret it when he is playing and excelling for some other team. 

So we pass on top edge rushers because of Cooper? I don't see it.  If we want to win games we HAVE to be able to get to the quarterback.   There are alot of very talented receivers in this draft; we could take a Tre McBride, Kenny Bell or Chris Conley in round 3 or 4 and upgrade our receiving corp.  Any one of those guys and who ever wins out between Enunwa and Evans, would make our receiving corp very formidable.  

Why are you so worried about pass rush?  Our pass rush was pretty good last season and there are some talented edge rushers in this draft.  IMO the WR class is more top heavy that edge rusher this year.  Who is your top edge rusher?  Fowler?   I'm not strictly sure what Bowles wants to do, but he might not even have room for the guy on the field with all the DBs he has signed.

Hakim sucks; Owusu showed flashes but he is one more concussion from calling it a career.  I promise you if we cut Evans for either one of them, we will regret it when he is playing and excelling for some other team. 

So you are firmly on the Evans bandwagon?  I never saw him, but he was performing the worst of our draft picks (save Boyd) last camp. 

Why are you so worried about pass rush?  Our pass rush was pretty good last season and there are some talented edge rushers in this draft.  IMO the WR class is more top heavy that edge rusher this year.  Who is your top edge rusher?  Fowler?   I'm not strictly sure what Bowles wants to do, but he might not even have room for the guy on the field with all the DBs he has signed.

So you are firmly on the Evans bandwagon?  I never saw him, but he was performing the worst of our draft picks (save Boyd) last camp. 

I agree that with Bowles he will probably be able to get the most out of a Coples etc, I do like what I saw in IK and Reilly as rookies but if we are to land a guy like Fowler who is also a side to sideline defender, our defense goes to an entirely different level.  I mean who are our linebackers?  Harrris, Davis and a bunch of guys on 1 year deals.  I know I am in the minority but I would take Gregory at 6, Pot head and all.  I drool when I think of all the ways Bowles could use him on defense.  I would also be okay with Fowler, Dupree or Beasley.  They could seriously upgrade our front seven.  I think the depth at wide receiver, and I mean quality depth, is better than you are giving credit for.  

Plus, we already have 3 very good receivers so we can take someone day 2, who can play in multiple receiver sets and still continue to develop.   We don't need them to come in day one and start at wide receiver so why take one at 6 when you can get a player, who in a year or so continued development, could be just as good?  I mean I think taking Devin Smith in round two makes more sense than Amari Cooper in round 1 based on our situation. Thats just me.... 

Regarding Evans, he has good size at 6'1 210, is fast, runs good routes, decent hands and is a nice developmental player.  The guy missed all of OTAs because of graduation requirements, got hurt in camp, missed some practices and just never was able to get it going before getting injured for real and placed on injured reserve.  I want to see what the guy can do fully healthy and with a year of off season workouts, OTAs etc.  I think the guy has a nice future in the league. 

You tell me; you are the one with NO expectations.  Usually when people post they have something worth adding to the conversation.

Why would we have expectations for #5/#6 guys acquired by a previous regime now, before the draft?

We have literally no idea as yet if the new regime gives a toss about these leftover fringe guys.

We draft one WR in May, and we likely cut one of these two guys before/early in camp. Anyone decent becomes available in FA/Camp Cuts, we could cut the other one.

So "no expectations" is pretty appropriate all things considered. Why would I expect them to be in camp if we, say, draft two WR's this year, one Mid-round, one late, for example??

Safe to say we all hope we can salvage something from the horrible draft last year, but expectations would be pointless speculating in re: these guys at current.

Maybe ask again the day camp starts? Be far more interesting a conversation then, when we know far more what the roster looks like as a whole going into camp.

Why would we have expectations for #5/#6 guys acquired by a previous regime now, before the draft?

We have literally no idea as yet if the new regime gives a toss about these leftover fringe guys.

We draft one WR in May, and we likely cut one of these two guys before/early in camp. Anyone decent becomes available in FA/Camp Cuts, we could cut the other one.

So "no expectations" is pretty appropriate all things considered. Why would I expect them to be in camp if we, say, draft two WR's this year, one Mid-round, one late, for example??

Safe to say we all hope we can salvage something from the horrible draft last year, but expectations would be pointless speculating in re: these guys at current.

Maybe ask again the day camp starts? Be far more interesting a conversation then, when we know far more what the roster looks like as a whole going into camp.

Well I expect them to evaluate the players based on their performance in camp and not get caught up in what regime drafted them. Neither of them played last year so it is kind of a moot point. It almost like getting two extra draft picks since we don't have a 5th or 6th pick this year.  

You are right it will be more interesting once camp begins but since that is months away and the draft is a week away, it seem like a topic worth discussing. I don't think I am alone in feeling that way. I mean there can only be so many "Rex" threads I can handle. 

There should be some roster spots.  We added Marshall, but lost Harvin.  Salas and Nelson are not here and they were on field for significant portions of 2014.  Graham, Powell, Owusu, and Hakim were active for the vast majority of 2014 and they are probably in the same boat as these Enunwa and Evans.

I find it strange that we need to look at OT because we can get a WR in 3/4.  If you like the 3/4 WR better than the 2nd round WR then something is wrong.  Based on the FA signings I tend to think they will stick to middle/late for O-line.

Archived