What players will have issues adjusting to new tough discipline from Bowles (and not Rex's Country Club)?

SouthernJet

Any ideas of players that relished in the  'never scolded, never see pine' discipline of 'be my buddy' Rex's philosophy? Seems Bowles will rip new ones as players come off field after bone head plays or during week in practice/classroom.

New sheriff in town, what town folks won't flourish?

For sure some Vets will feel difference as Rex way over -rated Vets and say younger players that were better or very close in talent. (Ed Reed)..

We have some OL/DL that have made quite a few motion or offsides penaltys that many coaches would have gone ballistic on sidelines, yet Rex was always ho-hum. I've seen tale of Bowles w/cards and he goes bonkers at players when they exit field after dumb mistakes...

The players will adjust fine, they are professionals and Bowles is still considered a player's coach.  Last season was a uniquely toxic environment with a lame duck head coach and a GM who purposely set him up to fail.  This will be a breath of fresh air for them all.

I don't think he will have any problems to start at all.  Some will be happy about it.  The key thing is team success.  If you have a hard ass coach and you win the players will love you.  (See Coughlin whom all the Giants hated when he 1st came there.)

The players will adjust fine, they are professionals and Bowles is still considered a player's coach.  Last season was a uniquely toxic environment with a lame duck head coach and a GM who purposely set him up to fail.  This will be a breath of fresh air for them all.

Players coach who kicks ass  and earns respect,, Trust me, there might be a few who will miss Rex's system of never losing playing time to mistalkes or never chsatized after dumb dumb dumb mistakes repeated over and over. IMHO that is Rex's (and his Dad's) achilles heel..wants to be a pal, not a coach who meets out discipline when needed..

Any ideas of players that relished in the  'never scolded, never see pine' discipline of 'be my buddy' Rex's philosophy? Seems Bowles will rip new ones as players come off field after bone head plays or during week in practice/classroom.

New sheriff in town, what town folks won't flourish?

For sure some Vets will feel difference as Rex way over -rated Vets and say younger players that were better or very close in talent. (Ed Reed)..

We have some OL/DL that have made quite a few motion or offsides penaltys that many coaches would have gone ballistic on sidelines, yet Rex was always ho-hum. I've seen tale of Bowles w/cards and he goes bonkers at players when they exit field after dumb mistakes...

My guess would be Geno "I don't know what a timezone is" Smith.

Calvin "Slow to the QB" Pace

I think we got rid of most of the guys that were "rex" guys actually now that I think about it.

I think hearing the players now call out Rex for accountability goes to show that the majority of players took issue with it as well and probably welcome the new sheriffs accountability.

I think we got rid of most of the guys that were "rex" guys actually now that I think about it.

IUthink u make good point,,Mac/Bowles have weeded out some turds

These guys are professions, but that does not mean some of the guys do not prefer a half-ass practice. I dont think the guys will be eating double cheeseburgers during training camp.

LOL, thats for sure... And I think we will finally see (like in the Tuna days) players getting a earful from coach on sideline after forgetting snap count or a personal foul penalty call that is game changing.

Players coach who kicks ass  and earns respect,, Trust me, there might be a few who will miss Rex's system of never losing playing time to mistalkes or never chsatized after dumb dumb dumb mistakes repeated over and over. IMHO that is Rex's (and his Dad's) achilles heel..wants to be a pal, not a coach who meets out discipline when needed..

Yup.  Rex and Buddy wanted their players to love them---because everyone else in the league could not stand them

It seemed to me that Rex gave his vets alot more slack than rookies. He for sure showed too much loyalty to Scott and disrupted the development of younger players going with guys like Derrick Mason, Trevor Price, etc. It will be interesting to see how Bowles handles a DBrick or a Harris when they miss an assignment.

It seemed to me that Rex gave his vets alot more slack than rookies. He for sure showed too much loyalty to Scott and disrupted the development of younger players going with guys like Derrick Mason, Trevor Price, etc. It will be interesting to see how Bowles handles a DBrick or a Harris when they miss an assignment.

his sticking w/Ed Reed really stopped growth of the young safety

I'm not sure which players will have the hardest time adjusting, but I DO believe that Wilk would've gotten quite the earful from Bowles for yukking it up and egging on the crowd as he got ejected from that game. Sheldon, too, for that matter, for throwing the fisticuffs during that game.

I'm not sure which players will have the hardest time adjusting, but I DO believe that Wilk would've gotten quite the earful from Bowles for yukking it up and egging on the crowd as he got ejected from that game. Sheldon, too, for that matter, for throwing the fisticuffs during that game.

u r 100% correct IMHO.. I am sure Bowles will do 'something' in camp or preseason game to 'make his point so players get the hint before Sept.13th, that a really dumb, selfish play will result in getting verbally blasted on national TV on sidelines whilst family / friends watching (the thing Tuna always said was only tool he had against millionaire players, they hated being embarrasses on TV. Simms/LT used to say 'after mistake we would walk off field at 10 yd line just so Tuna woudlnt see us and yell at us on TV)

I agree with this...

I think people have to be careful with the Rex bashing.  IMO Rex with the proper staff around him can win  in the NFL.  The question is does Rex have the proper pieces around him to succeed and only time can tell......

I agree with this...

I think people have to be careful with the Rex bashing.  IMO Rex with the proper staff around him can win  in the NFL.  The question is does Rex have the proper pieces around him to succeed and only time can tell......

he can win for sure, but issue is Rex will eventually shoot himself w/ignoring Offense. There will be years his D so great he will win many games 14-10, 13-7 etc etc. But crap happens via injuries etc and he needs great off players and a stand alone Off staff that doesnt need him. Tuf to get that and they leave for better jobs if team wins etc. rex/his dad both ignored Off side of ball and always came back to bite them in long run..

U never know though,, we will see...if history repeats itself, his motivational schtick will work 1st few years, then ignoring offense, alienating team into 2 units and lack of discipline (upstanding players eventualy resent players not losing jobs for bad play/dumb play) will come to roost..

u r 100% correct IMHO.. I am sure Bowles will do 'something' in camp or preseason game to 'make his point so players get the hint before Sept.13th, that a really dumb, selfish play will result in getting verbally blasted on national TV on sidelines whilst family / friends watching (the thing Tuna always said was only tool he had against millionaire players, they hated being embarrasses on TV. Simms/LT used to say 'after mistake we would walk off field at 10 yd line just so Tuna woudlnt see us and yell at us on TV)

Yeah, the best thing that I've heard about Bowles so far is that he's a player's coach when he wants to be, and a hard-ass disciplinarian when he needs to be. The best of both worlds. I think the players will still like him when he's tough, and still respect him when he's kind.

IMO Rex with the proper staff around him can win in the NFL. The question is does Rex have the proper pieces around him to succeed and only time can tell......

No, the proper question is can HE surround HIMSELF with the proper pieces to succeed, because, as head coach, a bulk of that responsibility falls on him.

What is the first thing he did when he took the Buffalo job?

He surrounded himself with the same staff that surrounded him here, where he had much difficulty achieving and sustaining success.

Parcells was pals with some of his guys he used to go to the race track with Bryan Cox..

I think hearing the players now call out Rex for accountability goes to show that the majority of players took issue with it as well and probably welcome the new sheriffs accountability.

Actually I think Geno might be one of the ones to respond best.to some discipline. I don't think the Jets will have much difficulty in transition. 

No, the proper question is can HE surround HIMSELF with the proper pieces to succeed, because, as head coach, a bulk of that responsibility falls on him.

What is the first thing he did when he took the Buffalo job?

He surrounded himself with the same staff that surrounded him here, where he had much difficulty achieving and sustaining success.

Seriously.

Rex CHOOSES his own staff, proceeds to suck, and yet it's still not on him for some reason. DA Fuq?

most people thrive with structure and discipline

this will not be a problem

^^ this

I mentioned in another thread. Football players-HS, College, Professional- want to be coached and led by their head coach. I think this is true more than any other sport. Even all-pro, HOF-type players want to be coached up.

I have a great feeling about Bowles because he seems like he is neither (or both, depending how you want to say it) a players coach or tyrant (ie coughlin, tomlin, Arians) and I believe players will respond with great effort for a long time for him.

When coaches lean too far in one direction like Rex (players coach) and harbaugh (tyrant) they experience success but, eventually, they wear out their welcome.

Parcells was pals with some of his guys he used to go to the race track with Bryan Cox..

maybe, but real rare, and Cox was a vet at end who already told Tuna he wanted to coach post-career,,I think the relationship was different .. There is no doubt, Parcells (whether he liked u or not) would tear u a new one on sideline if u f'ed up..

remember the hilarious headset audio of Tuna yelling at Belichick in booth "Bill, if u call that f'in scheme again I am gonna come up there and beat the s**t out of you" LOL

What nonsense is this?  Who did they "weed out"?  They resigned Colon who was probably the biggest offender.  Hopefully he won't start.  Ed Reed *may* have slowed Allen's development, but rightly or wrongly, he was credited with being a great influence on Milliner.

Love the honeymoon period.  Hard-assed disciplinarian player's coach?  That is like the elusive possession burner.  Everything new is good!  Everything old is bad!

Archived