Ladies and Gentlemen Manish Mehta says Jets will go 8-8

FrankieJets1979

That 2013 Jet team beat two teams with winning records that year (one, NE in OT). 

That was not a team of overachievers, as some like to make them. They took advantage of a soft schedule, and beat 2 teams at the end of the year when there was not much on the line.

We got a soft schedule due to the 2012 6-10 season so going 4-12 should give us a soft schedule as well.. Also in 2013 Geno as a rookie had 12 tds and 21 picks that wasn't a big help in winning games..

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This roster is better than the two AFCCG rosters with the exception of the O-line.  Better QB play and Ivory instead of TJ should offset that.  O-line won't have to be absolutely perfect to score points...they just have to be good. 

This team is better at QB, RB, DL, WR, CBx1,000,000,000 and we haven't even hit the draft.  Getting a legit pass rushing OLBer puts them head and shoulders above those teams.

Seriously, if I'm Woody Johnson and my new GM/HC comes to me and says "Hey Woody, great news...that $60 million you just spent on upgrades just might get us two extra wins this season" then they're fired.

2009 team had a 1400 yard rusher in Thomas Jones. It had a 500 yard rusher in Greene.

The LB unit was much stronger with a younger Pace and Harris. Shaun Ellis made the Pro Bowl. The Special teams unit was very special, with Brad Smith returning kicks, and Feely with a great year. Edwards, Cotchery, Smith, Keller was not a poor man's WR unit.

That was a very good team.

Saftey position was better with Leonhard and Rhodes.

We got a soft schedule due to the 2012 6-10 season so going 4-12 should give us a soft schedule as well.. Also in 2013 Geno as a rookie had 12 tds and 21 picks that wasn't a big help in winning games..

Maybe 4-12 gives us a soft schedule this year, maybe it doesn't. That has yet to be determined. Things change year to year in this NFL

Seriously, if I'm Woody Johnson and my new GM/HC comes to me and says "Hey Woody, great news...that $60 million you just spent on upgrades just might get us two extra wins this season" then they're fired.

Oh, I don't think this coach is going to go to the owner, or anyone, and make guarantees as to wins. The last coach did that, and he proved to be pretty simple-minded in that manner.

I believe that Bowles and company mission is to mold a team in his vision and improve. That is the new goal. Not false guarantees

Agreed.

The Jets, at least under Woody Johnson, tend to have success in the first year of a new HC.  Herm, Mangini, and Rex all went to the playoffs in their first seasons in New York.

True however Herm had Vinny and lost Mangini had Chad and lost and Rex had rookie Sanchez and made the AFCCG.. :animal0029:

I agree with all of those that have said it is too early to tell.  Let us remember this, leaving the Cheatriots asside who I think have had bigger losses than additions this preseason, as long as they have Brady they will be the class of the division.

All of the rest of the teams including our Jets did not stand pat.  Only the Dolphins are settleled at the QB poosition and they added one of the most ferocious D-lineman in the game ( I think he is a little off) but still improves their unit alot.  The bills added a couple of weapons on offense and already had a good defense.  If any one knows how to get to Geno (assuming he is the starter) it will be Rex.  The Jets did not make moves with others standing still and while QB is still a major question mark, trying to predict the Jets record for the season is premature to say the least.

Game-by-game predictions: New York Jets

•  
  • Rich Cimini, ESPN New York Jets reporter

•  
  • Comment

With an improved secondary, the New York Jets will double their win total from last season. But uncertainty at quarterback, coupled with an improved AFC East, makes the playoffs out of the question in 2015. Prediction: 8-8.

A game-by-game breakdown:

Week 1: Sunday, Sept. 13, Cleveland Browns, 1 p.m.

The Todd Bowles era opens at home, the Jets' sixth straight season opener at home. This is a favorable opener for the Jets because they're familiar with former Jets assistant Mike Pettine's defensive scheme (a carbon copy of the Rex Ryan system) and because the Browns, like the Jets, have an unsettled quarterback situation. Maybe we'll see Johnny Football. Prediction: Jets 21, Browns 20. Record: 1-0.

Week 2: Monday, Sept. 21, at Indianapolis Colts, 8:30 p.m.

This could be the Jets' toughest non-divisional road game. In three seasons,Andrew Luck is 19-5 at home. This will be the Jets' first trip to Indy since their wild-card win in the 2010 playoffs. Ah, those were the days. Prediction: Colts 27, Jets 14. Record: 1-1.

Week 3: Sunday, Sept. 27, Philadelphia Eagles, 1 p.m.

Strange, but true: The Jets never have beaten the Eagles in a regular-season game -- 0-9. Maybe Bowles, a former Eagles assistant, can end the skid. It'll be a lot more dramatic if former Jets quarterbacks Mark Sanchez and/or Tim Tebowget a chance to play. Prediction: Eagles 24, Jets 21. Record: 1-2.

Week 4: Sunday, Oct. 4, at Miami Dolphins, 9:30 a.m.

The two AFC East rivals play at London's Wembley Stadium, the first overseas regular-season game in Jets history. Maybe the Jets and Dolphins, who played the famous Midnight Miracle game in 2000, can stage a Midday Miracle on the other side of the pond. Prediction: Jets 40, Dolphins 37 (OT). Record: 2-2.

Week 5: Bye

Week 6: Sunday, Oct. 18, Washington Redskins, 1 p.m.

A lot of similarities here: Both teams are coming off four-win seasons and they're both facing the likelihood of a quarterback controversy. Bowles played for the Redskins for seven years in the late 1908s and early 1990s, so that's a neat, little subplot. Prediction: Jets 26, Redskins 16. Record: 3-2.

Week 7: Sunday, Oct. 25, at New England Patriots, 1 p.m.

In honor of Darrelle Revis, who left the Super Bowl champs to sign with his old team, let's call it the Tamper Bowl. Bowles gets his first crack at the Patriots, the nemesis that inflicted so much frustration during the Ryan era. With a vastly improved secondary, the Jets should have a fighting chance against Tom Brady.Patriots 24, Jets 21. Record: 3-3.

Week 8: Sunday, Nov. 1, at Oakland Raiders, 4:05 p.m.

With an emerging defense, the Raiders could be a sleeper in the AFC. Memo to Bowles: Make sure Geno Smith is aware of the proper time zone. California causes problems for him. Prediction: Jets 20, Raiders 17. Record: 4-3.

Week 9: Sunday, Nov. 8, Jacksonville Jaguars, 1 p.m.

Big question: Will former Jets general manager John Idzik, now a salary-cap consultant for the Jaguars, make the trip back to MetLife Stadium? If so, will he be greeted by a banner-toting airplane, just for old time's sake? But, seriously, the Jets can't afford to lose this game. They won't. Prediction: Jets 28, Jaguars 10. Record: 5-3.

Week 10: Thursday, Nov. 12, Buffalo Bills, 8:25 p.m.

For six years, the Jets tried to back up Rex Ryan's often outrageous boasts, failing more often than not in recent seasons. Now we'll get a chance to see how the Jets respond when they're on the receiving end of the trash talk. Watch your back, Jace AmaroPrediction: Bills 13, Jets 12. Record: 5-4.

Week 11: Sunday, Nov. 22, at Houston Texans, 1 p.m.

The Texans traded Ryan Fitzpatrick to the Jets because they felt more comfortable with a couple of younger quarterbacks, Ryan Mallett and Brian Hoyer. Maybe Fitzpatrick gets a chance for a little payback in the Maccagnan Bowl -- if he's starting over Smith. Prediction: Texans 24, Jets 20. Record:5-5.

Week 12: Sunday, Nov. 29, Miami Dolphins, 1 p.m.

The Jets can beat them on foreign soil, and we know they can beat them in South Florida, but they can't beat them at home. This will be the Jets' fourth straight home loss to the Dolphins, which will make former Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum -- Miami's new VP -- a happy man. Prediction: Dolphins 21, Jets 17. Record: 5-6.

Week 13: Sunday, Dec. 6, at New York Giants, 1 p.m.

Four years after the Victor Cruz Game (read: 99-yard touchdown), the Jets enjoy a little payback. The battle of New York will feature the matchup of the year: Revis versus Odell Beckham Jr. Oh, baby. Prediction: Jets 24, Giants 23. Record: 6-6.

Week 14: Sunday, Dec. 13, Tennessee Titans, 1 p.m.

If the Jets don't draft quarterback Marcus Mariota, they might have to face him in this contest. The Titans could take him with the No. 2 pick in the draft, setting up a delicious subplot. Prediction: Jets 34, Titans 13. Record: 7-6.

Week 15: Saturday, Dec. 19, at Dallas Cowboys, 8:25 p.m.

The Jets visit Jerry's World for the first time, clinging to their playoff dreams. In the end, Adrian Peterson (wink, wink) will be too much for them to handle as the Cowboys pull away in prime time. Prediction: Cowboys 27, Jets 17. Record: 7-7.

Week 16: Sunday, Dec. 27, New England Patriots, 1 p.m.

Sorry, Todd, no one said this Patriots' thing was going to be easy. The Jets lose their fourth straight to the defending Super Bowl champs. Look at the bright side: Tom Brady will be one year closer to retirement. Prediction: Patriots 20, Jets 16. Record: 7-8.

Week 17: Sunday, Jan. 3, at Buffalo Bills, 1 p.m.

Amaro catches the winning touchdown pass in the final minute, costing the Bills a wild-card spot. Ryan fires his headset into the ground and later remarks, "I wanted to kick their a--, and they kicked mine." He responds by abolishing team captains for 2016. Prediction: Jets 28, Bills 23. Record: 8-8.

NFL games are not played on paper, they are played on the football field.

As of right now, the Jets are a 4-12 team, the Bills a 9-7 team and the Phins a 8-8 team.

Both the Bills and Phins are better teams.

No sh*t, Sherlock. Hence the ellipses.

I don't want to get into a position by position break down but if you think the Bills are better than the Jets, again, on paper, then you don't know what you're talking about. Take the easiest position for these arguments; QB. Fitz and Geno are better than Cassel and EJ. That's an easy one.

I don't want to get into a position by position break down but if you think the Bills are better than the Jets, again, on paper, then you don't know what you're talking about. Take the easiest position for these arguments; QB. Fitz and Geno are better than Cassel and EJ. That's an easy one.

Well before he was hurt Fitz had 17 tds and 8 picks last year. Cassel's last good year was 2010 with KC.. In the 14 games EJ has started he managed 16 tds and 12 picks.. Geno is on the negative pick vs td ratio with 34 picks and 25 tds..

Right now the Jets are an 8-9 win team on paper. Dominant defense, good playmakers on offense, but the QB situation raises more questions than answers. If the Jets beef up WR/RB in the draft, along with some OL help in FA, they can kick that up to 10-11 wins with this schedule. This is assuming of course that FItzpatrick serves as a good game manager and doesn't turn the ball over. If Geno starts or Fitz reverts to mediocre, we are looking once again at a sub-.500 season. Bad QB play can and will single-handily lose games.

Right now the Jets are an 8-9 win team on paper. Dominant defense, good playmakers on offense, but the QB situation raises more questions than answers. If the Jets beef up WR/RB in the draft, along with some OL help in FA, they can kick that up to 10-11 wins with this schedule. This is assuming of course that FItzpatrick serves as a good game manager and doesn't turn the ball over. If Geno starts or Fitz reverts to mediocre, we are looking once again at a sub-.500 season. Bad QB play can and will single-handily lose games.

Even with a great HC like Bowles??  :winking0001:

Well the schedule is alot easier than having to face Rogers, Cutler, Stafford  Brady Manning, Rivers  like the did last year so that is a good thing.

The bad thing is that they face they NFC East where historically the Jets have failed miserably.

If they can somehow figure out a way to split the with the Pats and acutally win a game against Miami at home they have a shot at being decent.

8-8

On paper...

Jets are better than Buffalo and it's pretty close with Miami.

I think it's the other way around. Miami has a better QB situation than the other two, but they don't have playmakers and outside of the DL, not much on defense.

Bills are a much closer matchup for the Jets and will have an overall better record than Miami. They aren't on NE's level, obviously, but IMO they will be our toughest out in the AFCE. The Jets-Bills games this season are going to be an absolute dogfight. Tough defense and you just know Rex will have his guys AMPED for those games. I hope Bowles is ready to bring his A-game.

NFL games are not played on paper, they are played on the football field.

As of right now, the Jets are a 4-12 team, the Bills a 9-7 team and the Phins a 8-8 team.

So by that math...the Bills and Dolphins are both right now better teams than the Giants?

The Jets are a 4-12 football team with a new HC, new OC, new DC and still one of the worst QB situations in the NFL.

And you seriously think they will improve by 6 full games?

Dude. It's April. A time for Jets fans to dream. Like Gary said to Wyatt in the classic film Weird Science, "this is a fantasy. We all know reality. Don't **** with a fantasy".

The Pats will win their 12 or 13 games like they always do.

Sure the Patriots have won 12 or 13 games most seasons since 2008.  But if the Bills and Phins are better teams how do you account for the Patriots having the same record?  Especially considering the Patriots have taken a step back in terms of talent.  

Sure the Patriots have won 12 or 13 games most seasons since 2008. But if the Bills and Phins are better teams how do you account for the Patriots having the same record? Especially considering the Patriots have taken a step back in terms of talent.

Can you stop wasting your time with that guy?

How did we win 8 games in Geno's rookie year? Seriously dude your act is getting stale. 

they got tape on him now and know take away the primary read, and geno takes sacks and gives ball away. know what else is getting old? defending geno after two historically terrible seasons.

I can see us winning 10 games, simply by not having a QB turn the ball over close to 30 times, having a dominant D, and no Rex.

No Rex is good for two wins for sure. I see the Jets sweeping Buffalo and splitting with Miami and perhaps even gaining a win over NE. It all depends on the draft and who the Jets get. Cooper will put the Jets offense into overdrive even with mediocre QB play. If Geno Smith miraculously wins the QB job the Jets will be no better than 8-8. He will negate the Rex rule.

they got tape on him now and know take away the primary read, and geno takes sacks and gives ball away. know what else is getting old? defending geno after two historically terrible seasons.

Don't they also have film on Fitz and every other qb in the league?   Does it matter at all that the team is almost TOTALLY DIFFERENT including the fact that he has Marshall, Decker and Kerley and not Larry, Moe and Curley as receivers?  That he is going into his third year, that he has Chan Gailey as a Coordinator?    It is not about defending the guy; for you to dismiss the 8 games they won because "they got film on him", with another season of experience with a much better team around him you ASSUME he would not win more than 5 games just shows your bias.   

JETS will win both games against the Pats.

I'll be happy with 8-8 with the Jets winning both contests with the Patriots (hey, I'm a Jets fan) and splitting with Buffalo and Miami..

BB does an excellent job filling holes with average players, but losing three starting DBs (Two Pro Bowl) in two years, plus Wilfork, Ridley...seems to be a bit much to make up for this year and still expect only two losses.

Don't they also have film on Fitz and every other qb in the league?   Does it matter at all that the team is almost TOTALLY DIFFERENT including the fact that he has Marshall, Decker and Kerley and not Larry, Moe and Curley as receivers?  That he is going into his third year, that he has Chan Gailey as a Coordinator?    It is not about defending the guy; for you to dismiss the 8 games they won because "they got film on him", with another season of experience with a much better team around him you ASSUME he would not win more than 5 games just shows your bias.   

yes but fitz and many other qbs are able to look to secondary or tertiary options. all defenses need to do on geno is overload the primary receiver to make his brain turn into a popsicle

and if by bias you mean "using the best available evidence--his game performances and regression/failure to progress in his second year" then yes, I am biased. I would argue your opinion to "not give up on the kid" is a bias to unsupportable optimism

How did the Eagles "Dream Team" on paper of a couple years work out?

Again, games are played on the football field, not on paper.

How did the Eagles "Dream Team" on paper of a couple years work out?

Again, games are played on the football field, not on paper.

Come on.  They were named the Dream Team by Vince Young, who scored a 3 on the Wunderlich.

Try harder, you are better than that.

Predicting our record now is stupid, in my opinion. We have to wait until the draft, training camp, and a couple games into pre-season.

Shhhh, this makes too much sense.

Do we draft a pass rusher who play well and gets 10 sacks?

Do we draft Gholston part 2?

Do we draft a QB who sits for a year?

Do we go with rookie QB?

Who is our QB?  

Archived