Calvin Pryor and Marcus Gilchrist under 6 feet

FlightCrewGod

Found this on Walter football regarding Gilchrist.  - Hope this guy is off target.  Reviews of Mac's moves were equally unflattering.

Jets sign S/CB Marcus Gilchrist (4 years, $22M; $8.5M guaranteed): BLUE AND BLACK MILLEN KIELBASA (NOT WHITE AND GOLD MILLEN KIELBASA) Grade
San Diego fans have to be laughing at this contract. Marcus Gilchrist was chosen in the second round of the 2011 NFL Draft, but turned out to be a bust. His one non-poor season was in 2013, when he was just sub par. He has otherwise been atrocious in coverage, so I rated him as a 1.5-star safety in my NFL Free Agent Rankings. I had him behind Colt Anderson, who is just a core special-teamer. I figured Gilchrist would receive a contract for the league minimum, or perhaps something just a bit more than that. A 1-year, $1.2 million deal would have been appropriate.

I nearly spat out my Cocoa Puffs when I saw the details of this contract. Forget the guarantee; the base value of this pact shouldn't have been $8.5 million over four years. I have no idea why the Jets felt the need to overpay for Gilchrist like this, but it's just another curious signing by the front office in what has been another underwhelming offseason for this franchise.

Found this on Walter football regarding Gilchrist.  - Hope this guy is off target.  Reviews of Mac's moves were equally unflattering.

Jets sign S/CB Marcus Gilchrist (4 years, $22M; $8.5M guaranteed): BLUE AND BLACK MILLEN KIELBASA (NOT WHITE AND GOLD MILLEN KIELBASA) Grade

San Diego fans have to be laughing at this contract. Marcus Gilchrist was chosen in the second round of the 2011 NFL Draft, but turned out to be a bust. His one non-poor season was in 2013, when he was just sub par. He has otherwise been atrocious in coverage, so I rated him as a 1.5-star safety in my NFL Free Agent Rankings. I had him behind Colt Anderson, who is just a core special-teamer. I figured Gilchrist would receive a contract for the league minimum, or perhaps something just a bit more than that. A 1-year, $1.2 million deal would have been appropriate.

I nearly spat out my Cocoa Puffs when I saw the details of this contract. Forget the guarantee; the base value of this pact shouldn't have been $8.5 million over four years. I have no idea why the Jets felt the need to overpay for Gilchrist like this, but it's just another curious signing by the front office in what has been another underwhelming offseason for this franchise.

EPIC FAIL  II ... :/

They hate the Jets over there. Watch them tear apart the Jets draft next week no matter who they take.

When former Chargers safety Marcus Gilbert agreed to terms with the Jets on a free agent contract last week, the deal was widely reported to be for four years and $22 million, with $10 million guaranteed. But, as with pretty much every NFL contract, a closer inspection reveals something quite different: Gilchrist's deal has nothing fully guaranteed except for one year and $3.5 million.

To be sure: If Gilchrist were to remain with the Jets for the four-year life of the contract, he would indeed earn $22 million. But the way the deal is structured, the Jets can opt out after the 2015 season while doling out nothing more than $3.5 to $5 million.

Gilchrist is due to earn $1 million this season in fully guaranteed base pay, plus a signing bonus of $2.5 million that gets pro-rated over the next four years in terms of how it counts against the cap. He also stands to earn up to $1.5 million in per-game roster bonuses. Next year, Gilchrist's base pay jumps to $5 million, but it is guaranteed for injury only and doesn't become fully guaranteed until the third day of the 2016 league year. Gilchrist is then scheduled to make $6 million in base pay in both 2017 and '18, though neither of those figures is guaranteed.

Which means that on the off-chance Gilchrist stinks out the joint this season, the Jets can walk away after this year and owe him nothing beyond the maximum of $5 million they will have given him. They can similarly get out of the deal after 2016 (after having paid him no more than $10 million) or 2017 ($16 million) with no additional costs, should they choose to do so.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/03/marcus_gilchrists_jets_contract_not_at_all_what_it.html

Walt should check his sources a little more closely next time. 

Has Walter ever had a positive comment about anything Jets related in the last 5 years.  That site has completely lost any credibility in my mind.

Gilchrist played out of position at SS last year with Weddle as their FS.  His contract is pretty team friendly -- worth $3.1MM this season.  And if Walter is right and he sucks, he can be cut for $3.75MM cap savings  ($1.9MM dead money) next year.  I am willing to give Mac & Bowles the benefit of the doubt,

Has Walter ever had a positive comment about anything Jets related in the last 5 years.  That site has completely lost any credibility in my mind.

Gilchrist played out of position at SS last year with Weddle as their FS.  His contract is pretty team friendly -- worth $3.1MM this season.  And if Walter is right and he sucks, he can be cut for $3.75MM cap savings  ($1.9MM dead money) next year.  I am willing to give Mac & Bowles the benefit of the doubt,

Technically jets havent done anything positive since 2010 so five years sounds about right

Though I totally get what you're saying, the Jets also haven't been good in the past 4 years as well. Not taking up for Walterfootball, but there wasnt much to like in my eyes as well. They could be trolling, but have the majority of things they've said in the past 5 years been wrong? Im asking the question because I dont go to Walterfootball for Jets news, only NFL draft prospect info. 

Though I totally get what you're saying, the Jets also haven't been good in the past 4 years as well. Not taking up for Walterfootball, but there wasnt much to like in my eyes as well. They could be trolling, but have the majority of things they've said in the past 5 years been wrong? Im asking the question because I dont go to Walterfootball for Jets news, only NFL draft prospect info. 

I hear you -- the past few years have not been kind to the NYJ or their fans.  Its just that In my opinion, Walter tends to be so over the top negative on anything related to the Jets that it seems to be beyond a fair, unbiased analysis of the team.

Found this on Walter football regarding Gilchrist. - Hope this guy is off target. Reviews of Mac's moves were equally unflattering.

Just so you know, you hold as many credentials about football scouting as Walter does, and I don't know you but you may even hold more than him.

I've been reading Walter Football for years.  You have to remember that the owner of Walter football is one of the most anti-Jets people in the sports media.  Everything, and I am not exaggerating... everything the Jets do is panned mercilessly on Walter Football.  It is a very biased site against the Jets.  I have no idea why, but that's the way it has been for many years.

Also, Gilchrist has been playing at the SS position in San Diego, not FS. Weddle is and has been their FS for every moment that Gilchrist was there.   So when they say he was atrocious in coverage, that's not what his primary task was.  You have to take the Walter Football anti-Jets venom with a grain of salt.  It's utter nonsense most of the time.  

They hate the Jets over there. Watch them tear apart the Jets draft next week no matter who they take.

good, I'm glad someone else here knows how ridiculously biased Walter football is.  Been that way for years.  It's like that site has a vendetta against the Jets.  

When former Chargers safety Marcus Gilbert agreed to terms with the Jets on a free agent contract last week, the deal was widely reported to be for four years and $22 million, with $10 million guaranteed. But, as with pretty much every NFL contract, a closer inspection reveals something quite different: Gilchrist's deal has nothing fully guaranteed except for one year and $3.5 million.

To be sure: If Gilchrist were to remain with the Jets for the four-year life of the contract, he would indeed earn $22 million. But the way the deal is structured, the Jets can opt out after the 2015 season while doling out nothing more than $3.5 to $5 million.

Gilchrist is due to earn $1 million this season in fully guaranteed base pay, plus a signing bonus of $2.5 million that gets pro-rated over the next four years in terms of how it counts against the cap. He also stands to earn up to $1.5 million in per-game roster bonuses. Next year, Gilchrist's base pay jumps to $5 million, but it is guaranteed for injury only and doesn't become fully guaranteed until the third day of the 2016 league year. Gilchrist is then scheduled to make $6 million in base pay in both 2017 and '18, though neither of those figures is guaranteed.

Which means that on the off-chance Gilchrist stinks out the joint this season, the Jets can walk away after this year and owe him nothing beyond the maximum of $5 million they will have given him. They can similarly get out of the deal after 2016 (after having paid him no more than $10 million) or 2017 ($16 million) with no additional costs, should they choose to do so.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/03/marcus_gilchrists_jets_contract_not_at_all_what_it.html

Walt should check his sources a little more closely next time. 

This is the only thing that makes this signing palatable.  Dude sucks.  

His last year predictions were pretty far off (Tennessee 8-8, Cowboys 3-13(!), New Orleans 12-4, etc). He has an opinion, just like everyone else and we should take it with a grain of salt.

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2014playoffs.php

San Diego fans laughing? They have no room to laugh when all their players hate playing for the franchise, the franchise QB is about to leave and their top safety is about to hold out. Who should be laughing at who?

His last year predictions were pretty far off (Tennessee 8-8, Cowboys 3-13(!), New Orleans 12-4, etc). He has an opinion, just like everyone else and we should take it with a grain of salt.

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2014playoffs.php

Well, I've never know someone's prediction being taken as truth anyway. Thats not some sort of demerit. A good 85% of this forum would be way off if they gave their opinions on what every teams record would be by years end.  And truth be told, many people didnt really believe in the Cowboys before the season, and it was looking like people were right when they got smacked in the first game of the season against the 49ers, but then everyone jumped on the Cowboys bandwagon when the pulled off 6 straight wins after week one. Yes, the 3-13 was ridiculous just based on the talent (I guess they must have been pissed that they didnt draft Manziel) but there were plenty of people who had the boys winning between 6 to 9 games and missing the playoffs, and rightfully so. The Cowboys had been the definition of mediocrity for how many years now?  No one seen the Cowboys starting the first half of the season winning 6 of 7 games then ending the season on a 4 game winning streak. They had a phenomenal year. 

New Orleans had Drew and Graham and was in one of the softest divisions in football and we thought that they added some key talent to their defense. I can understand predicting that the Saints would win 11/12 games. Tennessee was a stretch. 

Well, I've never know someone's prediction being taken as truth anyway. Thats not some sort of demerit. A good 85% of this forum would be way off if they gave their opinions on what every teams record would be by years end.  And truth be told, many people didnt really believe in the Cowboys before the season, and it was looking like people were right when they got smacked in the first game of the season against the 49ers, but then everyone jumped on the Cowboys bandwagon when the pulled off 6 straight wins after week one. Yes, the 3-13 was ridiculous just based on the talent (I guess they must have been pissed that they didnt draft Manziel) but there were plenty of people who had the boys winning between 6 to 9 games and missing the playoffs, and rightfully so. The Cowboys had been the definition of mediocrity for how many years now?  No one seen the Cowboys starting the first half of the season winning 6 of 7 games then ending the season on a 4 game winning streak. They had a phenomenal year. 

New Orleans had Drew and Graham and was in one of the softest divisions in football and we thought that they added some key talent to their defense. I can understand predicting that the Saints would win 11/12 games. Tennessee was a stretch. 

You're right and that's my point. He's just like every other fan. 

FWIW, he was incredibly high on Manziel. 

Archived