Bud Dupree coming up on Sirius Radio after commercial break 2:40 pm 4/22

ljr

Here was what i got for those who were not able to listen.

(naturally there was plenty of PC/overt friendliness on both sides ... as always on these interviews but some interesting stuff)

Bruce Murray & Rich Gannon hosting

Rich - eye-popping workout numbers, why did you stay at Kentucky & do them there?

Bud - comfortable with the strength & conditioning coach.  was making sure to complete his school course-load to get his degree

Rich - you ran 4.56 in the 40 what did you think of that?

Bud - was disappointed. i had been running 4.4 leading up to it but had tweaked groin a little bit.

Rich - tell us about visits to the different NFL teams.  Do you have any preference DE vs. OLB

Bud - the teams kept their interest level close to the vest. all were saying nice/positive things. both teams that would use him as DE & those that would use him as OLB expressed interest.

Bruce - what's one thing you want to say about where you'll be better?

Bud - Don't know, but will be strong at either.  I know i'm not anywhere near where my ceiling will be at this time.

Rich - discuss your ability to drop back in coverage as well as rush the passer, and any other areas of your game.

Bud - gave a basic description of how he's good at everything.

Rich - what are you most proud of?

Bud - being in position to graduate college & go to the NFL.  What he's learned from the coaches at Kentucky.

Bruce - have scouts been asking you about gaining weight for NFL team?  you weighed in at 269 pounds.

Bud - laughing, that is actually the first time i've been asked that.  What teams talk about instead is me losing weight.

Rich - what aspects of your game will you be best at as a rookie?

Bud - Rushing the passer / recognizing plays

Bruce - what teams have shown the most interest

Bud - PC answer saying hard to tell / all teams keep it close to the vest

Rich - Pass Rushing in the NFL you are going to need more than 1 move or OT's will stonewall you ... what will you be bringing here?

Bud - Speed & explosiveness.  I've been working on 3 great moves to rush with.  Haven't wanted to do too many yet at this time.  Plans to work with current NFL pass rushers on developing beyond those 3 in the future.

Bruce - how are you going to spend the rest of the time while waiting on the draft?

Bud - working out as much as i can.

Of course we gotta take at the answers with a grain of salt ... but the kid def said all the right things.

Bud has everything physically, but he's just not great on tape.  Every now and then he flashes, but too often he's OK with just being a guy.   He's very similar to Justin Houston was.  Houston had effort problems, but on the few plays where he was determined to take over, he did so with Georgia.  

I wouldn't risk the 6th pick on Bud.  Need more of a sure thing.

Sucks but I don't really love any of the pass rushers in this draft early on.  Even Fowler I think will end up just being good, with little chance at being great.  Gregory has a ton of ability and a lot of strength/length so he probably has the most upside.  Ray has so little strength that he's dead once an offensive lineman gets his hands on him.  Beasley is OK.

Probably like the UCLA kid the most.  Fantastic strength at the very least and will be great against the run.  Underrated as a pass rusher and I think will improve.  WOrry about the hip injuries though.

So far Beasley is my fav

Agree on Gregory having highest ceiling ... Too afraid of the other stuff to pick him in the first ... If we didn't go OLB at 6 & he was still on the board I'd take him in the 2nd

Archived