Hardy suspended 10 games

LockeJET

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am pretty sure it was a bench trial. He was convicted and then appealed and requested a jury. It wasn't a preliminary hearing. I'm not exactly sure how Carolina works, but it did happen pretty quick. He was sentenced to a 60 day suspended sentence and some other stuff. You have a right to a jury trial, but you have to request one. Evidently he didn't at the first stage.

You always have to request a jury trial. That's called a jury demand, not an appeal. And when you go in front of a judge to try to get the case kicked before it proceeds to trial, that's a preliminary hearing. Whatever anybody wants to call it.

You always have to request a jury trial. That's called a jury demand, not an appeal. And when you go in front of a judge to try to get the case kicked before it proceeds to trial, that's a preliminary hearing. Whatever anybody wants to call it.

I'm not sure what you are arguing about.  Did you ever read any of the articles?  Believe me, I am fully familiar with the system, though not necessarily in North Carolina.  It was a bench trial.  You don't get found guilty and sentenced at a preliminary hearing.  He didn't just file a jury demand.  He filed an appeal.  I am sure his attorney was prepared for the potential verdict before they proceeded, but it was still a judge's decision at trial.  There are some peculiarities and perhaps it was less formal because it was a specific DV court and only a misdemeanor.   

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/crime/article9140591.html

Bold in case you are lazy, not because I think you will have any trouble understanding.

Carolina Panther Greg Hardy was found guilty Tuesday night of assaulting his former girlfriend and threatening to kill her.

Attorneys for the 25-year-old Pro Bowl defensive end announced an immediate appeal. That means Hardy will have a second day in court, this time before a jury and likely after the NFL team’s upcoming season.

“We respect the judge’s decision today,” said Hardy’s attorney, Chris Fialko. “But Greg Hardy will now have a jury trial, a brand-new jury trial, and we’re confident he will be acquitted on both of these charges.”

Mecklenburg District Judge Becky Thorne Tin sentenced Hardy to a 60-day suspended sentence and 18 months’ probation on the misdemeanor charges, a punishment set aside by the appeal.

State law automatically gives those convicted of misdemeanors in a so-called bench trials a right to a jury trial in Superior Court. There, Hardy and his accusers will be judged by 12 of their peers. A unanimous verdict is required, and both sides go in knowing far more about the strengths and weaknesses of the evidence.

It works a little differently in North Carolina.  The bench trial was a trial, not a hearing.  But the odd thing is that in N. Carolina, in this particular court, if the defendant doesn't like the outcome, he can get it tossed by asking for a jury trial.  Very strange and I would imagine inefficient.  Could you imagine that in New York City, LA, Chicago, Miami or Detroit?

Dude, you are so wrong its scary.   Do you just make stuff up?

He was convicted at a bench trial, he then appealed to a jury trial.  Right as the trial was starting he paid off the victim with enough money that she refused to testify. 

He committed the crime.  Do you even read?  

If money was enough for her then Hardy should be able to play. Obviously this women preferred compensation in exchange for her refusal to testify, yet no one is calling her a scumbag for this. If money can make you change like that then im not f'ing worried about you because the money obviously cured your problem.

Its not like I ever followed this story, I dont really care. I just seen the part where you said that she was paid off as if she had nothing to do with "taking it" lol. f'ing ridiculous what women can do these days, yet men can be rightfully called scumbags but can never actually "do the time" and put it behind them. Its always held over their head. Im so glad I've never got caught up with nonsense like this. One bad decision will ruin your life......unless you got the cash for the "pay off" of course! Then your only problem is Rodger Goodell and people on forums calling you scumbag. 

Yet another example of how "We're equals until we're not. Men are always the bad guy and women can do no wrong". Women have more balls then men these days anyway so im not even surprised. 

Actually my opinion was on the comment "Right as the trial was starting he paid off the victim with enough money that she refused to testify."

It's crazy what happens when you comprehend what you read. 

You wrote three paragraphs on a comment about a story that you admittedly haven't followed. Why, why would you do that.

You wrote three paragraphs on a comment about a story that you admittedly haven't followed. Why, why would you do that.

Probably for the same reason why you only write sly remarks/Gifs, while damn near never create threads or provide information that contributes to the forum and its overall purpose. Difference is, im never trying to put you on front street for trolling. You add flavor to the community. And as I said before, you can be an ass, but a necessary one. 

I write three paragraphs toward a users comment regarding a story that I never cared to follow, and you generally troll. We all got our vices buddy.  :winking0001:

I think thats fair enough. Hope you agree!

(3 paragraphs! lol)

Archived