Mayock: Jets Should Sprint to Draft Mariota

flgreen

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really? A guy that's never taken a snap under center? A guy that ran a primitive 1/2 read offense from shotgun every play? A guy that arguably may not even be ready to see the field in 2 years? His on field leadership skills are questionable. His ability to read a defense is questionable. Mariota would barely be a first round consideration in a year with decent QB's in the draft. You don't draft this kid top 10 in almost any realm and I wouldn't be surprised to see him drop Geno style. I don't think Mariota is going to be a bust because I just don't think he will ever be good enough to be a bust. The NFL does not have patience for a kid like him to suddenly get it, and the Jets fans sure as hell don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meanwhile...and I do understand that rumors this time of year are worth a little more than a few grains of salt

.. but the word is that the Chargers, Rams, Browns, Eagles and Saints are all making moves to set themselves to move up to take Mariota.

I dont hear much from anywhere about Winston. Winston is a train wreck waiting to happen.

Mariota is a smart, mature, motivated, and talented kid that will drive to be the best he can. Who gives a crap if it takes 2 or 3 years?

That is shortsighted.

You can easily justify not trading up here. But if MM falls to #6 there is going to be enormous pressure on Macccags to select him (even if he has guys like Scherff, Gurley and Beasley rated higher).  His career risk vs. reward is skewed so that he has to take a potential franchise QB.  He will get far less crap picking MM and not seeing him develop than he would passing on him and seeing him become a star elsewhere.   

You can easily justify not trading up here. But if MM falls to #6 there is going to be enormous pressure on Macccags to select him (even if he has guys like Scherff, Gurley and Beasley rated higher).  His career risk vs. reward is skewed so that he has to take a potential franchise QB.  He will get far less crap picking MM and not seeing him develop than he would passing on him and seeing him become a star elsewhere.   

Exactly; even if he busts, as long as we don't trade up for him, and take him at 6, I don't think any one can give him grief for drafting a a potential franchise qb.  It is only if we DON'T take him and he becomes a one that Mac and Bowles will never hear the end of it. 

Meanwhile...and I do understand that rumors this time of year are worth a little more than a few grains of salt

.. but the word is that the Chargers, Rams, Browns, Eagles and Saints are all making moves to set themselves to move up to take Mariota.

I dont hear much from anywhere about Winston. Winston is a train wreck waiting to happen.

Mariota is a smart, mature, motivated, and talented kid that will drive to be the best he can. Who gives a crap if it takes 2 or 3 years?

That is shortsighted.

Winston is the best player in this draft, baggage and all.  He is the best pure qb prospect since Andrew Luck so there is no way Tampa is trading him or the pick.  Mariota comes with more question marks as a quarterback plus teams know that Tennessee is not 100% sold on taking him, hence the interest in trading up.  Those teams also know that if he isn't taken by Tenn, he is liable to fall to at least 4 or 5 and possibly even 6.   

To your last point, I hear what you are saying but in today's NFL, if you take a quarterback in the top 10, you are expecting him to be somewhat NFL ready and there is enormous pressure to play him as soon as possible. It is simply not realistic to think a team will draft a quarterback that high and have sit on the bench for 2 or 3 years.  You might get away with 1 year at most. 

Winston is the best player in this draft, baggage and all. He is the best pure qb prospect since Andrew Luck so there is no way Tampa is trading him or the pick. Mariota comes with more question marks as a quarterback plus teams know that Tennessee is not 100% sold on taking him, hence the interest in trading up. Those teams also know that if he isn't taken by Tenn, he is liable to fall to at least 4 or 5 and possibly even 6.

To your last point, I hear what you are saying but in today's NFL, if you take a quarterback in the top 10, you are expecting him to be somewhat NFL ready and there is enormous pressure to play him as soon as possible. It is simply not realistic to think a team will draft a quarterback that high and have sit on the bench for 2 or 3 years. You might get away with 1 year at most.

Totally disagree that Winston is the best prospect, "baggage and all."

Baggage is the reason he should not be drafted in the top half of the 1st round. He is immature, volatile, entitled, disrespectful, and uses terrible judgment at best... criminal at worst.

The only immature QB ever to succeed in the NFL was Favre, and that was after Atlanta traded him to Green Bay.

The team that chooses a guy like Winston to be the face of the franchise... will get exactly what they deserve. A punk that may have flashes of success early in his career ala Vince Young, but will ultimately bust outta the league when his true character emerges ala Ryan Leaf after he gets kicked in the teeth like all young QBs do... sans Marino.

Everything Mariota supposedly needs can be coached!

What Winston needs is a total attitude overhaul and a full time babysitter.

Seriously, which of the QBs would respond better to a 3-13 season or a lousy 5 game stretch? Which one will work harder and fall on the sword and which one will lash out and point fingers?

this team is a qb away from doing some real damage-some will laugh at that comment after last year but thankfully we have a real gm that made some HUGE moves for us-I would go hard after brees than rivers-I would do two first rounders if I had to do it-have a franchise qb for 3-5 years and lets be honest we usually miss with our number one pick anyways

Totally disagree that Winston is the best prospect, "baggage and all."

Baggage is the reason he should not be drafted in the top half of the 1st round. He is immature, volatile, entitled, disrespectful, and uses terrible judgment at best... criminal at worst.

The only immature QB ever to succeed in the NFL was Favre, and that was after Atlanta traded him to Green Bay.

The team that chooses a guy like Winston to be the face of the franchise... will get exactly what they deserve. A punk that may have flashes of success early in his career ala Vince Young, but will ultimately bust outta the league when his true character emerges ala Ryan Leaf after he gets kicked in the teeth like all young QBs do... sans Marino.

Everything Mariota supposedly needs can be coached!

What Winston needs is a total attitude overhaul and a full time babysitter. Good luck with that.

Agree or disagree there is a reason he will be the first player taken; even with all the issues; why do you think that is?   Whether you likeit or not or agree or not the guy is the best quarterback prospect in several years.   I am sure the teams investigating him know 1000% more about him than you do and there is no way he falls out of the first round.  You are making this way too personal; if you think that most players, qbs included are choirboys you need to wake up and join the real world.   Does the name Ben Rotheslisburger ring a bell?  Farve was found sending pictures of his dick to a cheer leader and he was not some dumb immature kid.  Rivers was considered a "dick" by lot of his teammates.  Then there is Jay Cutler; I don't think I have to say much about him.  

Winston may **** up then again he may not.  He is not some dumb ass jock but  a very intelligent and as you mentioned, immature young man.   I think he realizes whats at stake and if he still ****s up than that is on him.   He is still a better prospect than Mariota; that is not debatable. 

Agree or disagree there is a reason he will be the first player taken; even with all the issues; why do you think that is? Whether you likeit or not or agree or not the guy is the best quarterback prospect in several years. I am sure the teams investigating him know 1000% more about him than you do and there is no way he falls out of the first round. You are making this way too personal; if you think that most players, qbs included are choirboys you need to wake up and join the real world. Does the name Ben Rotheslisburger ring a bell? Farve was found sending pictures of his dick to a cheer leader and he was not some dumb immature kid. Rivers was considered a "dick" by lot of his teammates. Then there is Jay Cutler; I don't think I have to say much about him.

Winston may **** up then again he may not. He is not some dumb ass jock but a very intelligent and as you mentioned, immature young man. I think he realizes whats at stake and if he still ****s up than that is on him. He is still a better prospect than Mariota; that is not debatable.

Roethlisberger is a tough case. He uses poor judgement. I do not necessarily believe immature applies to him.

I am not familiar with the Rivers thing... but being a jerk does not equate to a lack of maturity.

I do not consider Cutler a franchise QB at all. In fact, I think Winston's realistic ceiling is right around Cutler and Jeff George. NFL journeymen with big arms, bad attitudes, and reckless with the football.

My point is that the only QB that grew up on the job is Favre.

We can agree to disagree that Winston is the better prospect.

It is insane how opinions vary on MM.

I think this board leans to the side of staying away from MM with many thinking he is a total bust.  Meanwhile the rumors are that teams in the teens are willing to give up a ton of picks to get this kid.  We're not talking about  a move up and a later draft pick.  We are talking multiple first rounders and additional picks.  You even have teams that would trade away productive pro bowl QB's for this kid (not that the pro bowl means anything).  I've changed my opinion a little bit on us selecting him so if we did I wouldn't be upset.  Just like the lotto, u have to be in it to win it.  If there is a possibility he could be a franchise QB then he needs to be on our radar.  

Roethlisberger is a tough case. He uses poor judgement. I do not necessarily believe immature applies to him.

I am not familiar with the Rivers thing... but being a jerk does not equate to a lack of maturity.

I do not consider Cutler a franchise QB at all. In fact, I think Winston's realistic ceiling is right around Cutler and Jeff George. NFL journeymen with big arms, bad attitudes, and reckless with the football.

Fair enough; I respect you opinion. 

It is insane how opinions vary on MM.

I think this board leans to the side of staying away from MM with many thinking he is a total bust. Meanwhile the rumors are that teams in the teens are willing to give up a ton of picks to get this kid. We're not talking about a move up and a later draft pick. We are talking multiple first rounders and additional picks. You even have teams that would trade away productive pro bowl QB's for this kid (not that the pro bowl means anything). I've changed my opinion a little bit on us selecting him so if we did I wouldn't be upset. Just like the lotto, u have to be in it to win it. If there is a possibility he could be a franchise QB then he needs to be on our radar.

No leaning from me. I am close to Mariota's staunchest supporter around here. If I turn out to be wrong, well... I can be ridiculed for years the way SAR I is for his support of Matt Leinart.

I am not advocating giving up a 2016 and 2017 1st. But if it costs the #6, 2015 2nd, 2016 1st and 2016 2nd or in the ballpark.... Hell yes!

The Jets have made like one good 2nd round pick in the last 25 years (David Harris). We might miss out on Quinton Coples, Calvin Pryor, Kyle Wilson, Stephen Hill... Big Effin' Deal! Even if the Jets miss out on another Wilk, so what? JJ Watt ain't winning nothing in Houston without a QB.

Mariota has to be the target in this draft.

Fair enough, I respect your opinion. Time will tell. 

At some point, I think you have to consider a player's inability to conduct himself off the field. Of course its a tough job to do, and it can feel bad because as a front office official, you are basically making a judgment based on the person rather than the player.

In that respect, you are essentially making a business decision based on a person's character. How do we make that decision as a fan base? GMs have the benefit of trying their best to get to know them in person. As fans we go by what we see--in games and in the news.

I think Jameis has had a great college career, and i dont want to downplay his success. He shows a bunch of the traits that you want to see in a young QB and I dont want to sound disrespectful of that.

However, as a fan without the benefit of personally interviewing Winston, I don't support my team choosing him based on the objective facts I know about his time at FSU.

-Crab legs

-Rape (aware that it is only an allegation)

-BB gun

-Pushing refs out of the way

-Yelling inappropriate things

-Outbursts on the sideline

-Walking into rose bowl making a passing joint motion

For me, its too much. I don't pretend to know the guy, but it seems like he does not understand the microscope he is under and the responsibilities that it comes with. I hope we don't get involved with him.

No leaning from me. I am close to Mariota's staunchest supporter around here. If I turn out to be wrong, well... I can be ridiculed for years the way SAR I is for his support of Matt Leinart.

I am not advocating giving up a 2016 and 2017 1st. But if it costs the #6, 2015 2nd, 2016 1st and 2016 2nd or in the ballpark.... Hell yes!

The Jets have made like one good 2nd round pick in the last 25 years (David Harris). We might miss out on Quinton Coples, Calvin Pryor, Kyle Wilson, Stephen Hill... Big Effin' Deal! Even if the Jets miss out on another Wilk, so what? JJ Watt ain't winning nothing in Houston without a QB.

For a quarterback that never taken a college snap under center? Ah, hell NO. 

At some point, I think you have to consider a player's inability to conduct himself off the field. Of course its a tough job to do, and it can feel bad because as a front office official, you are basically making a judgment based on the person rather than the player.

In that respect, you are essentially making a business decision based on a person's character. How do we make that decision as a fan base? GMs have the benefit of trying their best to get to know them in person. As fans we go by what we see--in games and in the news.

I think Jameis has had a great college career, and i dont want to downplay his success. He shows a bunch of the traits that you want to see in a young QB and I dont want to sound disrespectful of that.

However, as a fan without the benefit of personally interviewing Winston, I don't support my team choosing him based on the objective facts I know about his time at FSU.

-Crab legs

-Rape (aware that it is only an allegation)

-BB gun

-Pushing refs out of the way

-Yelling inappropriate things

-Outbursts on the sideline

-Walking into rose bowl making a passing joint motion

For me, its too much. I don't pretend to know the guy, but it seems like he does not understand the microscope he is under and the responsibilities that it comes with. I hope we don't get involved with him.

Don't worry, he won't be there when we pick so it is a moot point. 

For a quarterback that never taken a college snap under center? Ah, hell NO.

A reasonable opinion that it is too much. I get that.

The Jets team as currently constructed, is built for mediocrity. Some quality talent with with below average QBs. Destined for mid 1st over the next 2 years. A team does not get many chances around the top 5. They have one now.

I like Mariota too. I think that your reasoning is interesting, but flawed because we don't yet know if the new FO will be as inept as the previous ones you referenced.

if this happened then I would love it to be before draft day-and then have Tampa take Mariotta.  lol

NJ.com's Mark Eckel passes along a "rumor making its rounds in NFL personnel meetings" of the Eagles trading Sam Bradford to the Browns for the No. 19 overall pick in the draft.

The Browns already offered No. 19 to the Rams for Bradford, prior to his trade to Philadelphia. St. Louis didn't accept because it wanted a quarterback, and wound up acquiring Nick Foles. The Browns are "still said to have interest" in Bradford. Per Eckel, the rumor has the Eagles then sending Nos. 19 and 20 -- plus Mychal Kendricks and Fletcher Cox -- to the Titans in exchange for No. 2 overall, where Philly would select Marcus Mariota. Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reported Friday that Bradford currently believes the Eagles may be planning to trade him.

I am too old to know how to post it here, but I was looking for the "Walking into rose bowl making a passing joint motion" pic 

and instead found

"winston fumble gets the surprise rko treatment"  vine.  worth looking for, lol

Wasn't he pimping Manziel as the best QB prospect all year when he came out, ahead of Bortles & Carr? He had Bridgewater ranked behind some late round guys when really he was the best QB out of that draft class (so far). Mayock sounds like he's on serious coke at times.

With all due respect, I hate that argument. Ranger fans do this too. 'We suck at drafting so it's OK to not have a 1st round pick for four years.' Terrible school of thought. Hire a better scouting department, which I think the Jets did with hiring Macc and with Macc sh*tcanning Bradway.

A reasonable opinion that it is too much. I get that.

The Jets team as currently constructed, is built for mediocrity. Some quality talent with with below average QBs. Destined for mid 1st over the next 2 years. A team does not get many chances around the top 5. They have one now.

And it sucks there is not a QB in the draft when we're are near top 5, but you don't take a prospect that is nowhere near top 5 quality just because you happen to be there and need the position. Mariota's skill set doesn't even warrant being drafted at 6 much less trade picks to move up. People and pundits were all talking about how we were targeting Geno 2 years ago at 9 or 13. Some even had use trading up to get him. Mariota at this very moment is probably a similar prospect to Geno. Geno was a kid that needed to sit for a year or 2 to have any chance in the NFL. Because of that he dropped to the 2nd round. Mariota is the same deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And it sucks there is not a QB in the draft when we're are near top 5, but you don't take a prospect that is nowhere near top 5 quality just because you happen to be there and need the position. Mariota's skill set doesn't even warrant being drafted at 6 much less trade picks to move up. People and pundits were all talking about how we were targeting Geno 2 years ago at 9 or 13. Some even had use trading up to get him. Mariota at this very moment is probably a similar prospect to Geno. Geno was a kid that needed to sit for a year or 2 to have any chance in the NFL. Because of that he dropped to the 2nd round. Mariota is the same deal.

I agree with you for the most part, although I do think Mariota enters the draft well  ahead of where Geno Smith entered the draft.  But if the Jets trade away picks, including future ear picks, to move up to get him, my head will explode.  I really believe that there is a strong possibility of Philly bundling picks and Bradford to Tennessee.  If that happens, I would gladly send Tennessee a mid round pick for Mettenberger.  Or I would be fine if they traded a 5th tp KC for Murray.

I agree with you for the most part, although I do think Mariota enters the draft well  ahead of where Geno Smith entered the draft.  But if the Jets trade away picks, including future ear picks, to move up to get him, my head will explode.  I really believe that there is a strong possibility of Philly bundling picks and Bradford to Tennessee.  If that happens, I would gladly send Tennessee a mid round pick for Mettenberger.  Or I would be fine if they traded a 5th tp KC for Murray.

mccagnan showed a comfort level with the draft process that i haven't seen from this organization, maybe ever.  i don't expect him to trade up to 2, but i wouldn't be surprised if he pursued mariotta at 3 or 4, and that's where i think he may see an opportunity.  based on what he said yesterday, if you assume the opposite, i believe he wants cooper.  he said you can get wrs later in the draft and expounded on the importance of edge rushers.  that's basically telling teams like the saints to trade up and get beasley, leaving cooper for the jets.  i think it's also entirely possible all the interest in mariotta is a smokescreen, with the vision that the titans really don't want him and that the main way to get mariotta drafted in the top 5 is to make teams like cleveland and phily believe the jets are very interested.  that said i can also see them trading back and drafting an o-lineman, as they have brought in several tackle prospects pegged to go in the middle of round 1.  in the end i think the jets will take either cooper or white, looking to finally turn a severe weakness that the entire nfl has known for years - that the jets have no weapons - and turn it into a strength.  kerley is just a jag and marshall has only a few years left, and after spending all that FA money on defense with wilk's contract extension imminent, the table is finally set to invest a high rounder on offense.

Mariota has something that Geno has yet to show....smarts.

And I'm a guy saying Genos story hasn't been told yet. Geno just doesn't seem to be very smart.

He's run out of the endzone.

He holds the ball like a loaf of bread.

He holds on to the ball too long along the sideline.

He runs backwards too often.

He throws with his feet not set.

These are all correctable traits but if Mariota is staring at us with the 6th pick I'm running to the podium just like Mayock says we should do. With this coaching staff & defense, this is the highest pick the Jets will have for 5 years.

With all due respect, I hate that argument. Ranger fans do this too. 'We suck at drafting so it's OK to not have a 1st round pick for four years.' Terrible school of thought. Hire a better scouting department, which I think the Jets did with hiring Macc and with Macc sh*tcanning Bradway.

Pretty sure that - at least for this year - our scouts are held-over from the Idzik era. I would think Maccags will bring in his own scouts right after though.

Archived