Jets pick up Quinton Coples' fifth-year Option.

BurnleyJet

The New York Jets continue to show faith in hot-and-cold pass rusher Quinton Coples.

NFL Media's Albert Breer reported on Thursday that the team picked up the fifth-year option for 2016 on the outside linebacker they snagged with the 16th overall pick of the 2012 NFL Draft.

The $7.8 million price tag is guaranteed only for injury, making this a safe alternative to a long-term deal for a player who has underachieved during his first three years in the league. Coples' 16.5 career sacks are far below what the Jets hoped for when they chose him over players such as Chandler Jones and Dont'a Hightower in the draft.

"You see potential," new coach Todd Bowles said at the NFL Annual Meeting, per Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. "He's a lot like (quarterback) Geno (Smith) ... You see him make plays and then you see him do other things at times. He can make strides this year and become a better player."

Just 24, Coples must improve his work in pass coverage and learn to show up on film more consistently, but Bowles has displayed an ability to make the most of his pass rushers. If the former North Carolina star can turn up the heat this season, the Jets have made the right move.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000484871/article/jets-pick-up-quinton-coples-fifthyear-option

Coples' 16.5 career sacks are far below what the Jets hoped for when they chose him over players such as Chandler Jones and Dont'a Hightower in the draft.

Chandler Jones is clearly better with 23.5 career sacks but Hightower has 11 career sacks.  So he's between those guys. 

I wonder if the timing of this move is the FO cooling on the oLB options at 6. 

Chandler Jones is clearly better with 23.5 career sacks but Hightower has 11 career sacks.  So he's between those guys. 

Hopefully the staff has no plans for Coples at OLB

true but the other side is that 16.5 isn't THAT far away from 23.5.

It's like 3 sacks a year over 4 years. Coples isn't a total disaster he has flashes of greatness. 

Going untouched and clotheslining the corpse of MJD doesnt qualify as greatness

how many drive stopping third down sacks did Coples have ??

That's what I thought.

Get the max value out of him by putting his hand in the dirt

Rex Ryan totally ****ed this kid ...He had the frame to put on 20 to 30 pounds in the NFL and weigh in over  300 and play in a 4-3 Imagine a DL of Wilk Harrison Coples Richardson yes with Coples using his speed on the inside where he seemed to play his best football and where its really hard to take plays off like he was so often accused. Just total mismanagement of a player ....Of all his sacks I would be willing to bet a very small percentage were based on his outside speed and more of the 4 to 5 second variety.

Stop with the sack stats horsesh*t already. Q is not an edge rusher, he plays the run for the most part and took over for Mo as a 3-4 end full later in the year. By the way, he was still TWICE as disruptive as Chandler Jones, an edge rusher, who a lot of people think is one of the better pass rushers in the league. Figure that one out. Now he missed some games but even if you include another 6+ games his numbers wouldn't match Q's numbers in terms of wreaking havoc. If all you look at is sacks you don't get a clear picture. It's like comparing 2 RB's by their YPC average. It's pointless. Chris Johnson and Ivory had the same YPC average last year. If anybody out there tells me Ivory wasn't at least 3 times better that guy probably didn't watch any of our games.

Q had twice as many QB hits as Calais Campbell.

He ties Suggs for QB hits and tackles for a loss.

He was more disruptive than Dareus, outside of the sack numbers.

He was as disruptive as Jerry Jughes, one of the elite pass rushers, outside of the sack numbers.

The list goes on and on. Q is no Derrick Thomas off the edge but he's very disruptive. Way more disruptive than a guy his size should be, and the position/role he was playing, and the limited amount of snaps he had. I think he has All Pro potential and under Bowles who I think knows what he's doing when it comes to moving guys around, using them in the right spots etc. I think he'll blossom. You can't play Richardson at OLB and then say he sucks as a football player if he doesn't produce 20 sacks. Q is not an edge rusher, he's no Von Miller. He should play with his hand on the ground, whether it's in the 4-3 or 3-4. He stepped in for Mo in the 3-4 for a couple games and I didn't notice any dropoff, I actually think he looked better than Mo at times, so I'm excited to see what he does this year under Bowles and hopefully Bowles figures out what he doesn't do well in camp to make sure he doesn't just continue to make him do things he doesn't do well. Wrecks failed to do that, with a bunch of guys. Not just Q.

Coples had 6.5 sacks last year which is not bad at all and he will have a better career than most of these DE/OLB people are bickering over us picking at 6.  Coples has less sacks than Chandler Jones?  Ok, if you're going to compare him compare him to everyone because he has been better or significantly better than the following:

Melvin Ingram (who people wanted to draft over Coples)

Dion Jordan

Barkevkious Mingo

Dee Ford

Jarvis Jones

Never could understand all the Bryan Thomas hate on this board.

As bit said, he was a very solid player for a decade.

That's just how it goes when guys fall short of expectations.  I liked Bryan Thomas and thought he was a very good player.  Problem is, when he was drafted we just kept hearing about his insane 20yd/40yd splits and how he was going to be a double-digit sack guy every year.  He never became that so fans were disappointed.  That and the fact that he had such a hard time keeping weight on meant a year or two before he really started contributing.

Archived