Winston, Mariota, Williams, Cooper, Fowler go Top 5

Morrissey

holy boner beasley is a freak !!!!

It's all bullsh*t. I want to see game film and game film ONLY. Workouts are all so impressive but say NOTHING about how it translates to the football field, where real guys are grabbing and pulling not standing stationary like a heavy bag. Another guy who created a cottage industry for himself. Next will be Bill Nye the science guy telling us how quickly a player must think on the field and have a real human brain with electrodes all over it and bright flashing lights.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as long as beasley isn't a 2 down player, I consider him at 6.  

its funny, I prefer cooper for the opposite reason, he is a more polished prospect 

so if it's winston, mariota, williams, cooper, fowler the choice is basically beasley or white ?

that is actually a very interesting choice.  If the coaches think beasley is a 3 down player I take him because of pace and babin's age and omg this defense with an edge rusher

if the coaches think they have to take him out on goal line or 1st downs I take white

Just don't know about any of the OLB's. Actually, Fowler troubles me more than Beasley at this point. Gregory is a different animal than Beasley or Ray -- not as explosive, not as strong at the point of attack, but has more ability to adjust and has length. Reason I like White is because of the catch radius. Right now, our QB situation is such that anything that gives a bigger target can't hurt. Marshall is fantastic in that regard.

The problem for Milliner as we all know is injury-proneness, not his athleticism or skill set. The guy showed flashes of excellence, just hasn't stayed healthy. So actually, the lab tests were in no way inaccurate or irrelevant. Give Milliner a full year to play and I would bet he could be a very good starter. Unfortunately, it may never happen.

P.S. Take at the look at the one comparing Winston and Mariota. You'll laugh at the comparisons to current players they came up with.

I laugh at all comparisons until the player proves himself on the field.. :winking0001:

It's all bullsh*t. I want to see game film and game film ONLY. Workouts are all so impressive but say NOTHING about how it translates to the football field, where real guys are grabbing and pulling not standing stationary like a heavy bag. Another guy who created a cottage industry for himself. Next will be Bill Nye the science guy telling us how quickly a player must think on the field and have a real human brain with electrodes all over it and bright flashing lights.

I agree.  the first part of an eval is always game performance.  Then I look at football IQ and instincts.  then I feel you factor in the competition level.  then you factor in character and work ethic.

I haven't seen anything that knocks beasley's production, IQ, film, competition level, character or work ethic.  There are concerns about his weight and the run game.  those are legit.  I don't take him at 6 if he is a 2 down player.  

this video shows he has freak ability to get to the QB at the next level

he is no work-out warrior

Just don't know about any of the OLB's. Actually, Fowler troubles me more than Beasley at this point. Gregory is a different animal than Beasley or Ray -- not as explosive, not as strong at the point of attack, but has more ability to adjust and has length. Reason I like White is because of the catch radius. Right now, our QB situation is such that anything that gives a bigger target can't hurt. Marshall is fantastic in that regard.

stop it !   don't confuse me ! I fell in love !

lol

Just to be fair, so far you guys who don't like Beasley have ruled out his college production, his combine performance, and the sports science analysis. So what exactly are you using for your assessment, the Oracle at Delphi? It seems to all get down to personal bias based on what you want to see, which is not exactly objective. Thing about combine and lab tests is that they at least add something that is not confounded by all the variations of game tape when comparing guys. A lot of apples and oranges just looking at game tape unless they're matching against the same teams and same players head to head.

stop it !   don't confuse me ! I fell in love !

lol

More than anything, I think all of this proves how damn difficult draft assessment is. Teams have access to complete game tape and a crew of professional evaluators and they still make bonehead choices (at least so we know after the fact). Tells me that this is all very highly subjective despite every test thrown out there. And the cost of an error at the front end of the draft is high. I can see why some teams just take the safest route and pick a steady producer rather than take the risk of going after a high risk junior with one year of dazzling stats.

Yeah, but now you're a GM and you have to draft somebody before you get the luxury of seeing him prove himself. How do you pick?

Problem is I'm not a GM nor do I have all the scout research available that Mac has.. I did read a article that says if Mariota is gone the team will take either a rush OLB or a W/R and I'm fine with that.. It also said Bud Dupree is the type of player Bowles likes.. But unlike the draft wizards here I don't have a clue who they will pick..

Archived