What if the Jets drafted... Scherff

Freemanm

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like it, wouldn't mind if they could move back a little and still get him.  But he'll be gone by 9 or 10.

This whole he's not a LT, he's not worth it is a little overblown.  With all these new defensive schemes, and moving guys around on the defensive front, the importance of the rest of the line go up.

And guys who are versatile and can play multiple positions are even more valuable.  Like how Pugh is for the Giants.  Scherf will be like a rich man's J. Pugh.  Well worth the 6 pick.

. You don't waste a top 10 pick on a guard.

People say this all the time. Why? I am not sure the logic. If you are confident that the guard you pick will be a ten year starter how is that not Top 10 value. I get there are more important positions, and all things being equal you would pick one of those, but if he is BPA at 6 and will be a long term starter who cares? You would rather reach for a different position?

People say this all the time. Why? I am not sure the logic. If you are confident that the guard you pick will be a ten year starter how is that not Top 10 value. I get there are more important positions, and all things being equal you would pick one of those, but if he is BPA at 6 and will be a long term starter who cares? You would rather reach for a different position?

Yes, if I could get a guard in the 3rd round who is a little bit worse then the guard I'd pick in the top 10, I'm passing on him. Compare that to qbs who, generally speaking, has a huge drop off of talent round to round.

This needs to be our guy if Cooper is not there. Best scenario is to trade back to 8 and gain a pick as others have said and it is very feasible. 3rd round and below developmental players are not going to cut it this year. We're facing alot of 1st round talent and superstar Dlinemen this year and we need to counter that, especially since the Guard spot is the weakest position on this team. Upgrade the OL!

CFF Overview: OT – Buyer Beware

Michael Renner | April 24, 2015

There is no perfect player coming out in the draft. Everyone has weaknesses that need to be addressed in the NFL. With data from every single play from every single college game we have the unique ability say how often those shortcomings actually affected a player’s performance. The following players’ issues caused them to grade well outside the elite tackles in one area or another and that is why we are wary of projecting them so highly to the next level.

Brandon Scherff, Iowa

After grading all of Scherff’s plays in 2014 and then reviewing those positives and negatives, we just couldn’t see Scherff as a tackle in the NFL. His problems on the edge in pass protection don’t look fixable and he’ll likely never be better than average in that respect. That’s not to say he can’t be a successful player at guard, he has more tools than any other interior offensive linemen in the draft, we just haven’t seen him play there yet. Investing a high pick in a non-premium position for a guy who hasn’t played there in years seems like far too risky a proposition.

Signature Stat: Allowed seven pressures in the Maryland game alone and 24 on the season.

If you trust the analysis of the PFF/CFF guys, Scherff does not project as a tackle either left side or right side....

Scherff played with an injured knee all season. He was actually better in 2013 when he was completely healthy. He's a solid but unspectacular pick at 6. But I think he's a great pick in the 10-15 range.

Chance Warmack, Jonathan Cooper, David DeCastro.  All were "safe" picks and DeCastro is the only one of note.  Taking a guard in the top half of Rd 1 is not a good pick. Need to address the premium positions (WR, T, Edge Rusher, QB)

If you want to trade back and get him--fine, but guy is an animal and i dont care about "short" arms, this is the guy i want. Big fan of starting with O and D lines and this guy plays with a mean streak that will translate at the next level. Two coaches in a row have negligently overseen a destruction of the O line when that's where it has to start... Especially with no answer at QB. Scherff will be special.

Brandon Scherff, Iowa

After grading all of Scherff’s plays in 2014 and then reviewing those positives and negatives, we just couldn’t see Scherff as a tackle in the NFL. His problems on the edge in pass protection don’t look fixable and he’ll likely never be better than average in that respect. That’s not to say he can’t be a successful player at guard, he has more tools than any other interior offensive linemen in the draft, we just haven’t seen him play there yet. Investing a high pick in a non-premium position for a guy who hasn’t played there in years seems like far too risky a proposition.

Signature Stat: Allowed seven pressures in the Maryland game alone and 24 on the season.

A pocket passer who will compete for a practice squad spot with the Patriots . . . Drafted as a catcher by the Montreal Expos in 1995 out of Serra (San Mateo, Calif.) HS . . . Completed 62.8 percent of his passes with 20 TDs and six interceptions. Only Elvis Grbac had more TD tosses in a season for the Wolverines . . . Throws a great slant . . . At almost 6-4, 214 pounds, has some mobility . . . Platooned with sophomore Drew Henson . . . Was projected to go in the third round, but dropped quickly.

His selection should not affect backup quarterbacks John Friesz or Michael Bishop.

Brandon Scherff, Iowa

After grading all of Scherff’s plays in 2014 and then reviewing those positives and negatives, we just couldn’t see Scherff as a tackle in the NFL. His problems on the edge in pass protection don’t look fixable and he’ll likely never be better than average in that respect. That’s not to say he can’t be a successful player at guard, he has more tools than any other interior offensive linemen in the draft, we just haven’t seen him play there yet. Investing a high pick in a non-premium position for a guy who hasn’t played there in years seems like far too risky a proposition.

Signature Stat: Allowed seven pressures in the Maryland game alone and 24 on the season.

I disagree with this scouting report.  I think Schreff could play right tackle pretty well.  Left tackle maybe not. 

If you want to trade back and get him--fine, but guy is an animal and i dont care about "short" arms, this is the guy i want. Big fan of starting with O and D lines and this guy plays with a mean streak that will translate at the next level. Two coaches in a row have negligently overseen a destruction of the O line when that's where it has to start... Especially with no answer at QB. Scherff will be special.

No

Two coaches in a row have negligently overseen a destruction of the O line when that's where it has to start... Especially with no answer at QB. Scherff will be special.

Not really. We used some high draft picks (just not first rounders) on OL and repeatedly tried to pick up decent talent in FA or trade. We just haven't drafted well at the position...or most other positions lately.

Pass. 99% of the good/best guards in football don't get picked that high, it's just a fact. And in 99% of the cases the guys that get picked that high just clearly underachieve and never live up to the hype.

I rather stick with Aboushi & Carpenter, and behind those 2 we still have Dozier & Colon. And in case of an emergency we can still shuffle guys around. Breno I feel would make a really good Guard. Dozier can play RT, Aboushi can play RT. We have other stuff to worry about. If it's between guys like Amari/Kevin White, Leonard Williams, Mariota/Winston, Beasley/Fowler and Scherff, you pass on Scherff.

If it's possible then definitely go for it... I'm just not entirely sure how far back we can go before he's off the board

No thank you. With a top 6 pick I prefer an impact playmaker in a draft where such players are expected to be there for us. No one doubts OL is important, but the position is too easy to fill by other means to waste - yes, waste - the opportunity to draft a playmaker that doesn't typically hit free agency because teams that draft them generally won't let them go.

If we get a windfall trade offer to drop into the mid-late teens that would be different, but even then it's no slam dunk. Guard class I s supposedly a couple of rounds deep. As good as Scherff? Perhaps not, but then swap the pass rusher or receiver we could get at 6 and compare with a round or two (or three) later.

I think there is a chance this happens, but it is a slim chance. At 6 though they will need to walk away with a bigger impact player. Really would love to know what they think about the kid they brought in from Seattle. They paid him, so they must like him. Lots of film study by the new staff on the young guards on the roster I am sure.

If they walk away with Scherff that means Oday and Winters are pretty much done with this staff.

If he's genuinely BPA then I have no issue. But I just don't see a scenario where he can be truly BPA at 6.

If Williams fall to us at #6 I'd rather trade down to Clevelands two spots and pick up Ereck Flowers at #12 and Andrus Peat at #19, then pick up a Guard further down the draft. We will have both tackle positions lined up, and with the amount of guys we currently have competing for the guard positions we're going to find 2 quality players. I'd rather get two tackles than 1 guard in the first. 

Apparently everyone in this thread missed where I said trade down for him. Funny how people focus only on those things they wish to.

No, we read it just fine. You are suggesting we either force our hand to trade down specifically to draft him, even if a (harder to find/acquire) difference-maker is there at 6, or if we can't trade down it seems you advocate we take him at 6 outright. The "If you want to trade back to get him -- fine" part suggests the trade down is what others ("you") want but it's not imperative to you the author that we do so.

Is this a misrepresentation?

Archived