Gregory at 6 and DGB at 37; YEAH THAT'S RIGHT.

JetBlue

Let's go hard or go home. Enough with playing it safe; I'm swinging for the fences.  I trust Bowles to get the best out of both of them and we will have added two all pro caliber talents to this roster;  Okay lets hear it....

Path To the NFL - Randy Gregory

Path To the NFL - Dorial Green Beckham

Edit: if DGB is gone I hoping Devin Smith is available....

Jets are not taking Gregory at 6. That failed drug test is going to haunt him for years.

Maybe not but I seriously doubt he will haunted for years for smoking pot. Hello the Cowboys just signed Greg Hardy; teams will be lining up for Adrian Peterson. Please don't tell me a little pot will "haunt" Gregory for "years".

Gregory looks like he can put on the weight, but he is only 235 and comparatively Beasley looks like he is shot out of a cannon.  Gregory has also missed a decent amount of time with injuries.  All of 2012 with a broken leg IIRC.

Well unless we are looking for circus acts I have no problem with Gregory's speed. He missed 2012 and it is 2015; sorry I don't see how that is relevant.

Do you believe everything said in a press conference? Btw I am saying what I would do; not what the Jets will do.

I take a person at their word, so your word better be what you mean . I am also man enough to give a person a chance to explain themselves as you did at the end of your post. If I was the GM my 1st pick would be Brandon Scherff either at 6 or after hopefully a small trade down .

Maybe not but I seriously doubt he will haunted for years for smoking pot. Hello the Cowboys just signed Greg Hardy; teams will be lining up for Adrian Peterson. Please don't tell me a little pot will "haunt" Gregory for "years".

my .02 is this.  with gregory he knew he was going to be tested, and he just doesn't give a sh*t.  he goes out and smokes and doesn't even buy a bottle of test pass !   wtf ?!?

he is either dumb as rocks or has a very bad attitude.  he figures he can get away with it so **** it.  as you point out, talent is always given many chances.  

pot is illegal on a federal level and in NJ and against NFL policy.  he is a suspension waiting to happen

he didn't think failing was a big deal !!!

I would take the kid off of my board.  I don't think he is warren sapp 2.0.   his is dumbass punk 1.0

OH and by the way JB, this is what I took away from the GM's presser. You take the highest ranked player on your board regardless of any other factor, especially need, where he see many of mistakes made over the years because of all the other aspects that get involved.

OH and by the way JB, this is what I took away from the GM's presser. You take the highest ranked player on your board regardless of any other factor, especially need, where he see many of mistakes made over the years because of all the other aspects that get involved.

I have no problem with that philosophy at all.  So if Gregory is considered the highest ranked player at 6 then I expect them to take him.  Same for DGB in round 2.  

Well unless we are looking for circus acts I have no problem with Gregory's speed. He missed 2012 and it is 2015; sorry I don't see how that is relevant.

What does this even mean?  You don't want Beasley because he is fast enough for the circus?  I am not talking about 40 times like with Dupree.  I am talking about watching them, Beasley is visibly considerably quicker off the snap.  Beasley is a bit light, but he is no lighter than Gregory, so I don't see the advantage there.  At least Dupree is 35 lbs heavier.

Missing a season is not relevant?  Gregory missed time in 2014 for knee surgery based on an old basketball injury.  Is that relevant?

What does this even mean?  You don't want Beasley because he is fast enough for the circus?  I am not talking about 40 times like with Dupree.  I am talking about watching them, Beasley is visibly considerably quicker off the snap.  Beasley is a bit light, but he is no lighter than Gregory, so I don't see the advantage there.  At least Dupree is 35 lbs heavier.

Missing a season is not relevant?  Gregory missed time in 2014 for knee surgery based on an old basketball injury.  Is that relevant?

I didn't say I don't want Beasley.  I said I prefer Gregory because I think he has the bigger upside.  He is bigger or rangier and as he matures and hits the weight room he will gain weight naturally.  He is almost as fast, just as athletic and has played linebacker as well as DE.  I am not concerned about the basketball injury at all.  If not for the pot issue, he would considered a top 5, definitely top 10 pick.   Beasley is a tremendous pass rusher ; you are right about his first step, but I have yet to see him do much else.    There are also rumors that Beasley could be "juicing" (unconfirmed I know). 

Gregory is just as good a pass rusher in my opinion and has shown the ability to drop into coverage as well as play the run. 

I would be okay with Dupree if we take him but don't be surprised when it takes him some time; he is pretty raw.   I would prefer if we could trade down and then take him. 

I didn't say I don't want Beasley.  I said I prefer Gregory because I think he has the bigger upside.  He is bigger or rangier and as he matures and hits the weight room he will gain weight naturally.  He is almost as fast, just as athletic and has played linebacker as well as DE.  I am not concerned about the basketball injury at all.  If not for the pot issue, he would considered a top 5, definitely top 10 pick.   Beasley is a tremendous pass rusher ; you are right about his first step, but I have yet to see him do much else.    There are also rumors that Beasley could be "juicing" (unconfirmed I know). 

Gregory is just as good a pass rusher in my opinion and has shown the ability to drop into coverage as well as play the run. 

I would be okay with Dupree if we take him but don't be surprised when it takes him some time; he is pretty raw.   I would prefer if we could trade down and then take him. 

Let me allay your fears.  Beasley is juicing.  Every single one of these guys is.

I have no problem with that philosophy at all.  So if Gregory is considered the highest ranked player at 6 then I expect them to take him.  Same for DGB in round 2.

You might be lucky if either of those guys are on the Jets draft board. This guy is a disciple 0f Casserly who if you ever heard him talk about those type of prospects, would lead you to believe that fact.

Casserly rule was let someone else fix those problems.

Why would I draft someone in the 1st round if I had to interview 75 people just to find out if the kid is as troubled as he appears.

I don't like Gregory and it has nothing to do with his weed issues.  DGB, probably worth the risk in the 2nd  but it would still be a big risk.

Fair enough; it is all a crapshoot.  I just like the potential of both of these players.  If you can get through to them I think the sky is the limit and I would be willing to take that risk. 

Let me allay your fears.  Beasley is juicing.  Every single one of these guys is.

Well that is all well and good but I have not heard or read any rumors about Gregory juicing; whether he is or not, is another thing.  However I have seen that written about Beasley.  

You might be lucky if either of those guys are on the Jets draft board. This guy is a disciple 0f Casserly who if you ever heard him talk about those type of prospects, would lead you to believe that fact.

Casserly rule was let someone else fix those problems.

Why would I draft someone in the 1st round if I had to interview 75 people just to find out if the kid is as troubled as he appears.

Because he could be a major difference maker on your team; thats why.  Neither you nor I know for sure who isn't on their draft board, regardless of Casserly influence.  Mac is his own man and I expect him to make his own decisions and make them based upon all the available information at his disposable.   And while we are on it; when did Casserly become this draft genius?  According to his philosphy, he would have probably passed over Lawrence Taylor, Randy Moss and Warren Sapp.  

Fair enough; it is all a crapshoot.  I just like the potential of both of these players.  If you can get through to them I think the sky is the limit and I would be willing to take that risk. 

I agree with you here.  The thing I don't like the most about Gregory?  He head and shoulder tackles.  Watch his highlights and then think of him trying to get sacks on NFL QB's who know how to move in the pocket or are just horses back there.  I see Gregory running around tackles and whiffing on a lot of sacks.  (That is when he is not getting buried trying to set the edge on run plays)

Well that is all well and good but I have not heard or read any rumors about Gregory juicing; whether he is or not, is another thing.  However I have seen that written about Beasley.  

So "rumor" of juicing is an issue, but multiple failed drug tests, including at the NFL combine are no problem? 

The only reason you have "seen that written about Beasley" is because Beasley put on 10 of the pounds everybody needs him and Gregory to put on.  Gregory just went to the combine weighing like a big safety and Beasley was still faster.

You're also not going to get fired in a year or 2 if these guys end up being suspended by the league .

Gregory will lose money but he will end up on of the better teams in the NFL.  Drafting in the 20's is a crap shoot so why not take a shot on a skilled player hoping that he stays clean instead of a clean guy hoping he can play well.

Because he could be a major difference maker on your team; thats why.  Neither you nor I know for sure who isn't on their draft board, regardless of Casserly influence.  Mac is his own man and I expect him to make his own decisions and make them based upon all the available information at his disposable.   And while we are on it; when did Casserly become this draft genius?  According to his philosphy, he would have probably passed over Lawrence Taylor, Randy Moss and Warren Sapp.

You do know that I didn't say that do you ? All I said was the student might emulate the teacher. Randy Moss was the most misunderstood person I have ever read about. Was Taylor ever suspended for his drug usage ? Was it ever proven that Warren Sapp did drugs ?

So "rumor" of juicing is an issue, but multiple failed drug tests, including at the NFL combine are no problem? 

The only reason you have "seen that written about Beasley" is because Beasley put on 10 of the pounds everybody needs him and Gregory to put on.  Gregory just went to the combine weighing like a big safety and Beasley was still faster.

Beasley is an athletic freak no question; I didn't start the rumors about him.  As you mentioned it started because he gained 10 pounds of muscle so fast and didn't lose any speed; time will tell if those reports have any validity.   Gregory definitey ****ed up failing those drug tests and that will probably be the reason we pass on him. I am just saying I like his game and potential and yes, I would be willing to take that chance on him.   I know it speaks to his judgement and maturity, although I believe the whole criminalization of Marijuana use is a big joke there is, as it is much less dangerous than Alcohol.

If we draft Beasley, I will root like hell for him; I have no axe to grind against him; I am just intrigued by what Gregory brings to the table.  With a coach like Bowles, I think he could become an All Pro in time.  Same could be true with Beasley.... 

You're also not going to get fired in a year or 2 if these guys end up being suspended by the league .

I am not interested in drafting scared; in that case just go the safe route and stay mediocre.  Sometimes you have to be willing to take risks. I am not saying trade up;  Gregory, IS a top 10 player, talent wise.   Sure there is the risk of him screwing up and getting suspended; and I would be willing to take that risk. 

Archived