Gregory at 6 and DGB at 37; YEAH THAT'S RIGHT.

JetBlue

You do know that I didn't say that do you ? All I said was the student might emulate the teacher. Randy Moss was the most misunderstood person I have ever read about. Was Taylor ever suspended for his drug usage ? Was it ever proven that Warren Sapp did drugs ?

Didn't stop teams from passing over both Moss and Sapp.  My point about Taylor was the stuff he was doing under Parcells, makes Gregory look like a choirboy; the guy smoked some weed; there are alot worse things a 21 year old could do.  I think with a no - nonsense but fair HC like Bowles, Gregory and possibly DGB if we were lucky enough to have him fall to 37; could both really thrive.   

Gregory will lose money but he will end up on of the better teams in the NFL.  Drafting in the 20's is a crap shoot so why not take a shot on a skilled player hoping that he stays clean instead of a clean guy hoping he can play well.

You are probably right; I would not be surprised if he ended up in say NE; wouldn't that be just peachy!  :mad0259:

Every year I'm always thinks that one projected high player will fall and NE grabs them. Dam I'm like Rex.

I hear you Prime. I know I am in the minority but I get  so sick and tired of "tiptoeing thru the tullips".  I want DIFFERENCE MAKERS on both sides of the ball and we will have an opportunity to get the best all around pass rushing lb prospect in the draft at 6 and MIGHT have a chance to get a once in a generation talent at wide receiver in the 2nd.  I say PULL THE FREAKING TRIGGER and draft those BEASTS!  

Stop worrying about what if it goes wrong and focus on what if it goes RIGHT?  Think about what that would mean; imagine our defense with a 6' 6 pass rushing demon on the outside who can also drop back into coverage or play with his hand in the dirt? Imagine him rushing on the left, Coples on the right with Richardson and Wilk in between?    Think of the various combinations Bowles could use on defense....  

Then think of our offense with Marshall, Decker,Kerley, Enwuna/Evans and 6' 6 DORIAL GREEN BECKHAM.  That doesn't even include our TEs Amaro, Cumberland or Zudfeld...  

Hell, add a quality offensive line OR quarterback prospect in the third and a running back/OL in the 4th and we would be in position to make some NOISE, even with our current qb situation.   

Maybe not but I seriously doubt he will haunted for years for smoking pot. Hello the Cowboys just signed Greg Hardy; teams will be lining up for Adrian Peterson. Please don't tell me a little pot will "haunt" Gregory for "years".

What you don't seem to understand is that Gregory didn't fail a drug test, he failed an intelligence test. IMO he was probably going to be picked in the top 10. By failing the test when he did, his draft stock dropped. The further down he drops, the less money he is going to make over the next 4 years of his contract. So because he was stupid, he is going to lose money over the life of his first contract. Hence, his decision is going to haunt him for years.

I'm a Husker alum and football fan - as for his character, I think Gregory is fine, no complaints from the people in Nebraska.

On the other hand, I just don't see why people get so excited about him, if it's about potential then fine but he's not a first round talent.  No way.

Gregory at 37, DGB at 70.

I will take that too ;-)

Shirley, yall ain't cereal.

DGB lasting till 37 is already dicey...70 is ludicrous. Dude has Megatron potential....someone will absolutely reach for that. I'm hoping against hope that he drops to 37 and we can take him, but I don't even see that as a possibility. 

Shirley, yall ain't cereal.

DGB lasting till 37 is already dicey...70 is ludicrous. Dude has Megatron potential....someone will absolutely reach for that. I'm hoping against hope that he drops to 37 and we can take him, but I don't even see that as a possibility. 

Hey ya never know.... about him at 37. You are right, no way in hell he lasts to 70 but we can dream, can't we? 

60! Nah, that little marijuana thing isn't going to haunt him at all.

It was more the marijuana that dropped him after all Ray was basically busted for pot a week before the draft and still went in the first round.  Didn't seem to haunt him to much, did it?   Gregory had other issues besides just weed.  Actually it worked out perfectly for him; while he may have lost money, he went to a superbowl contending team.  

60! Nah, that little marijuana thing isn't going to haunt him at all.

How is that an excuse? Explain Denver trading up to pick Ray;  He also used Marijuana the WEEK BEFORE THE DRAFT. 

Sounds like excuses

Because you apparently need to feel right.  Explain Denver trading up to pick Ray;  He also used Marijuana the WEEK BEFORE THE DRAFT.  It was obviously more than him failing a drug test that dropped him to 60.  There are several articles that alluded to him having more problems than that.  

Sounds like excuses

http://deadspin.com/something-weird-is-going-on-with-randy-gregory-1701010088

Something Weird Is Going On With Randy Gregory  4/29/15 4:10pm

By every account Nebraska pass rusher Randy Gregory is an NFL talent, and based on football skills alone, deserves to go early in tomorrow’s first round. But reports citing multiple scouts and team executives indicate he’s rapidly sliding down draft boards, with some teams prepared to pass on him altogether. The strange part is that no one will say exactly why.

Gregory has failed a few tests for marijuana, most recently at the combine. He’s also slightly undersized to play defensive end, which is where he likely projects (he did play a lot of linebacker in college). But apparently, there’s more than that.

Today comes a very odd report from NFL.com on Gregory, and on teams worries about what they might get from him. Pay very close attention to the wording throughout, because it’s maddeningly nonspecific and just begging you to read between the lines. 

What is this “off-the-field stuff” that could torpedo Gregory’s NFL career? Why do scouts and the NFL.com reporters repeatedly go out of their way to emphasize that these problems are “no fault of his own?” Mike Florio’s baffled, and damned if this report—and others referring to Gregory’s “other issues”—isn’t specifically obfuscating the actual issue at hand.

[A]ccording to more than a dozen coaches, scouts, personnel chiefs and GMs, there is concern about Gregory’s ability to handle the mental rigors of professional football. And just how far he drops in this week’s draft will likely hinge on the individual psychological profiles (and the results of related testing) put together by each team, according to multiple veteran evaluators.

[...]

One opinion that’s common among the evaluators who’ve delved deep into Gregory’s past — he’s not a bad kid. He comes from a solid background. He’s well-meaning.

But there’s more to sort through.

“At some point, the risk meets the reward, especially at the bottom of the (first) round — those are good teams,” said an area scout for one team, assigned to Nebraska. “They miss, it’s not a big deal. But the top 20 picks of each round, it’s tough. He’s either gonna be a good player or he’s not gonna be in the NFL. He comes from a good home, he’s a smart kid.

“How do you wanna deal with it?” the scout continued. “Do you wanna work with him? Can you do the off-the-field stuff to manage it?”

The concern is that, through no fault of his own, Gregory’s problems might be manageable, but not fixable, which makes his landing in the right environment (as the scout alluded to) vital.

The caution may stem from potential medical privacy issues, as well as workplace discrimination laws. There are rumors, confined to social media and message boards, that Gregory may suffer from depression and/or anxiety. (He himself has said he first started smoking marijuana to deal with anxiety, though it’s not clear if he was using the term in its clinical sense.)

It’s not clear whether the teams are reacting to the rumors, or whether they’re acting on information that’s behind the rumors, but it would absolutely explain this weird pre-draft farrago. As much as the players have collectively bargained away medical privacy, no team or reporter would want to speak publicly about a kid’s mental health status—or admit that they’d deny him employment because of it. At the same time, it would be a very real concern for teams gambling a first-round pick. Just ask the Houston Rockets, who took Royce White 16th overall, knowing his struggles with obsessive-compulsive disorder and anxiety disorder, and never got a single game from him.

If there’s truth to this, it’s telling that the NFL doesn’t have the vocabulary to differentiate mental health from “mental toughness.” It’s a cold business, and anything that gets in the way of an athlete’s ability to stay on the field will necessarily take precedence.

Archived