30 for 30 from Elway to Marino

Larz

wow, what a watch.  sure the jets flubbed it, but so did a lot of other teams including Ron Wolf with the raiders.  Fascinating to watch from the perspective of high stakes poker.  If you watch the whole thing, they never tell you what accorsi gets for Elway.  Well, he gets raped by letting the other 5 QB's get drafted which ruined his leverage.  He wanted 3 1st round picks, including one in the 1983 top 5 to take kelly, and 2 2nd round picks.  As soon as the 49ers didn't bite, he should have taken whatever was on the table to beat the bills to kelly.  In the end, he got

The Colts, however, were interested in offensive linemanChris Hinton, who the Denver Broncos had chosen as the fourth pick in the first round. On 2 May Colts owner Robert Irsay and Accorsi agreed to trade Elway for Hinton, backup quarterback Mark Herrmann, and a first-round pick in 1984.[18]  (Ron Solt, OG, Maryland)

Some random observations.  

Sometimes the owners step in and screw everything up and the GM gets the blame

teams and players carefully craft "public messages" and lie to us all the time.  Kelly's comments after getting drafted by buffalo are classic

you never "sprint to the podium"  accorsi blew 15 minutes of squeeze time to get what he wanted just to send a message to elways agent.  dumb dumb dumb

Al Davis was crazy, a cheater, but a bad ass dude in business.  The league interfered with him trading for elway. 

Sometimes the scouts say "draft blackledge because he is a winner".  the focus isn't on the right areas

bill walsh was thinking about trading montana after the 1st SB win.  No, it's true

that draft was super mega epic.  tons of HOF players

paul zimmerman didn't like the dolphins drafting marino because "where is he going to get the coaching?"

the jets pick was really painful to watch.  It starts at 55:07.  tags sets the crowd up and then literally laughs at us as he walks away from the podium.  80's jets fans had the best style !!   lol my hair was parted in the middle those days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk89BTxcBAk

Yeah it was one of my favorite 30 for 30s as well. I haven't seen it in a while but I thought Accorsi said he would of taken Marino if he traded Elway and got a 1st in that draft as well as two more 1sts. The owner interfered and made that trade with Denver though.

The Pats and Jets blew that draft by passing on Marino and taking other QBs. I do remember them saying the Pats and Raiders made good offers for the rights to Elway too though.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Yeah it was one of my favorite 30 for 30s as well. I haven't seen it in a while but I thought Accorsi said he would of taken Marino if he traded Elway and got a 1st in that draft as well as two more 1sts. The owner interfered and made that trade with Denver though.

The Pats and Jets blew that draft by passing on Marino and taking other QBs. I do remember them saying the Pats and Raiders made good offers for the rights to Elway too though.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Great points. Accorsi was adamant about getting the 5th or 6th pick so he could take Marino.  In NE according to Ron Meyer, he would have taken Kelly (would have been a match made in heaven; Irish kid in Boston/NE), but had no say so in the draft at all.  I didn't remember that Tony Eason was so frail looking.  How anyone could have taken him before Kelly and Marino is mind-boggling.  Funny how Elway was close to becoming a Cowboy....

Archived