Who are your top 4 safe prospects

Tinstar

Why is Schreff limited to guard?  If it is just arm length there is an article out there indicating that arm length for T is not the be all end all.   I had read some people that questioned his foot work/quickness for pass protection at tackle which is a- whole-nother issue.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?833175-Mythbusting-Arm-Length-And-Offensive-Tackles

The problem is the vast majority of the TV talking heads say that the kid has the potential to be an all pro OG .In a few games last season he had a terrible time with some speedy edge rushers. Finally, most fans still believe that an NFL LT should be a supreme pass protector more so than anything else.

I happen to believe that if you beat a DE down running at him, he's less likely to pin his ears back and come at you. The fact that the kid is such an awesome run blocker is why folks want to pigeon holed him at OG or RT.

I just watched the thing on the Jets website about the draft; while Schreff would be the safest pick (given Cooper et al are gone), I doubt if he is the pick - I think the most likely scenario is either a letdown selection at 6 (for example a Dupree - Schreff would also be a small reach) or hopefully a tradedown. The best thing would be the Pauline scenario where a team like New Orleans trades up to 6 for a Beasley, rather than taking slight reaches at 6 like Schreff, White or Dupree.

The best thing for the Jets would be a top 5 shakeup - so a Williams, QB, Cooper, Fowler being supplanted by something unpredictable - can't see that happening though myself.

There's a brain trust for you. CBNY and Sorkin. My god.

Ha ha, you do not like Pauline. He was full on when on JI, I remember those running fights he had with Bitonti and his fairly extreme political views.

But you cannot doubt his draft pedigree - by and large he's spot on year after year. He's the Woody Allen of the draft - excellent body of work professionally (admittedly with some downs), pretty dodgy outside of that.

^ ^ I think the Pauline thing was in the context of if, say, a Cooper has already been picked, but yeah the way he has the board falling Schreff is the Jets pick.

I think, in relation to the thread, the more interesting question is who are the "safest" picks in rounds 2 or 3, given we'll probably be picking pass-rusher, wide-reciever, O line or RB in those rounds and what the trade off is between going safe and swinging for the fences. Like if DGB is available in round 2 do you get him? (tbh I would not be surprised to see him fall out of the 2nd round altogether) Over say a McKinney or a Dorsett? What about if Ali Marpet is there and Nate Orchard in round 3? Who do you go with if say you've got Mariota and a WR in rounds one and two?

If the Jets pass on DGB I will throw my TV out the window and jump out right after to give it company on the way down...

Ha ha, you do not like Pauline. He was full on when on JI, I remember those running fights he had with Bitonti and his fairly extreme political views.

But you cannot doubt his draft pedigree - by and large he's spot on year after year. He's the Woody Allen of the draft - excellent body of work professionally (admittedly with some downs), pretty dodgy outside of that.

No, I think I would disagree with pretty much all of that. He's got volume and that's about it. If he ever has anything inside he never has it first and beyond that he's just guessing, and badly. Mother****er is like a caricature out of Moneyball.

No, I think I would disagree with pretty much all of that. He's got volume and that's about it. If he ever has anything inside he never has it first and beyond that he's just guessing, and badly. Mother****er is like a caricature out of Moneyball.

He did call josh bush and did mention demario davis that one year

In order

Williams

Cooper

Winston

Gurley

Scherff would be next

Williams - Gone

Cooper - Gone

Winston - Gone

If we're going BPA, who would you draft ?

I take Scherff because I think he's my LT in 2 yrs. If you don't think he can be a LT, it has to be Gurley .

'Safe' does not = best value.

The problem is the vast majority of the TV talking heads say that the kid has the potential to be an all pro OG .In a few games last season he had a terrible time with some speedy edge rushers. Finally, most fans still believe that an NFL LT should be a supreme pass protector more so than anything else.

I happen to believe that if you beat a DE down running at him, he's less likely to pin his ears back and come at you. The fact that the kid is such an awesome run blocker is why folks want to pigeon holed him at OG or RT.

So you are going to have to adjust your offense to accommodate a tackle who is not a great pass blocker by running more.

Scherff is safe and can play Tackle...oh as long as you run to his side 30 times a game to soften up the DE's

Scherff is no safer than guys like Warmack were.  Scherff has to be better than 'safe' for me to be on board with that pick at 6th overall.  At 6 the buy better be an instant pro bowler.

'Safe' does not = best value.

So you are going to have to adjust your offense to accommodate a tackle who is not a great pass blocker by running more.

Scherff is safe and can play Tackle...oh as long as you run to his side 30 times a game to soften up the DE's

Scherff is no safer than guys like Warmack were.  Scherff has to be better than 'safe' for me to be on board with that pick at 6th overall.  At 6 the buy better be an instant pro bowler.

Maybe not to you, but he is to me and that's good enough for me. As to adjusting my offense, it needs to be adjusted. The RBs on our team are far better than the QBs. We should be running the ball more and protecting those QBs. Having 2 OTs who are effective run blockers as well as solid Pass protectors allows to run the ball to either side of the formation instead of being right side heavy like we have been since Brick Ferguson has been our LT.

For the record, I had little interest in Womack or Dacastro or whoever you want to bring up.

I like OTs who can also play OG.

I like OC who can also play OG

When a kid plays well and test well, all that's left is the off the field checks. This kid has checked every single box.

In an ideal world you get two tackles who are ace run blockers and pass blockers, that is hardly ever the case.  You do more damage to your team if you have a weak run blocking Lt than a weak pass blocking one.  Hey the player himself is good and will be good probably for years at guard or RT but at 6 I simply cannot believe there will not be a better, more dynamic player on the board.

• 1 month later...

Archived