flgreen

Jets mailbag, part II: Examining quarterbacks and potential trades

20h
  •  
  • Rich Cimini, ESPN New York Jets reporter

•  
  • Comment

As promised, another batch of questions on the New York Jets:

If they can't get Mariota, who will be that last QB Bowles said he wants on the roster? Grayson? Petty? My sleeper: Sean Mannion #Jetsmail

@RichCimini: The Jets have done a lot of work on Garrett GraysonBryce Pettyand Brett Hundley. I'd give the edge to Grayson because he has experience in a pro-style offense. He has a little bit of a hitch in his delivery, slowing down his release, but he also has some positive traits. Hundley is a lot like Geno Smith -- some real good physical attributes, but his feel for the position is questionable. Petty has a strong arm and good intangibles, but he played in a spread offense and will need a lot of time to develop. I haven't heard any Jets-Sean Mannionbuzz, so I'd be surprised. Bottom line: We're not talking about any sure-fire future starters here. If they can't get Marcus Mariota, it comes a roll of the dice.

yler Calhoun @calhounn5

@RichCimini do you think the jets will try to move down in the 1 or 2 rd and maybe trade for Mike Glennon and a second round pick? #Jetsmail

@RichCimini: Yes, I think the Jets are open to moving down in the first round. In his pre-draft news conference, GM Mike Maccagnan expressed his preference for accumulating extra picks. Of course, he could be playing poker, so who knows? The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have been getting calls about Mike Glennonbecause everyone assumes they will draft Jameis Winston, but I'm not so sure that would mean Glennon is a goner. Right now, he's the only quarterback on their roster. Someone has to be a backup, right? If Glennon is on the trading block, the Jets would have to ask themselves: Is he better than what we already have? I think he'd be worth exploring, depending on the price. He put up decent numbers with no running game and a shaky offensive line.

New York Jets @nyjetseditor

@RichCimini do you see a player-for-pick trade happening on draft day? #jetsmail

•  

@RichCimini: This is an interesting question because the Jets have a handful of tradeable commodities. By tradeable, I mean players whose contract and/or value could make them attractive to another team. Players entering contract years are Chris IvoryDamon Harrison and Demario Davis, all of whom are proven starters. If healthy, Dee Milliner could attract a little interest, but it wouldn't make sense to deal him because they'd receive only a pennies-on-the-dollar return on their initial investment. Obviously, Muhammad Wilkersonwould generate a lot of interest, but it would be lunacy to trade a cornerstone player.

Forma @JForma

The more you I look at this draft the more it looks like The Jets should beef up their OL, Scherff a possibility? #Jetsmail

@RichCimini: Obviously, it all depends on what happens with the first five picks. Brandon Scherff is widely regarded as the best offensive lineman in the draft, but I question whether he'd be a good value at six. Many teams see him as a guard, not a tackle -- and especially not a left tackle, his college position. To me, it's a reach to draft a guard with the sixth pick. If you're going to take a lineman that high, make it a tackle. The top tackles are Ereck Flowers andAndrus Peat, both of whom visited the Jets. They, too, played left tackle in college, but they could probably play right tackle, especially Flowers. He played there early in his career. But I'm not sure either one is worth the sixth pick.

@RichCimini does the team experience a culture shock going from a outspoken coach like Rex to a strictly business guy like Bowles? #Jetsmail

@RichCimini: Totally. Let's not put Todd Bowles in the Eric Mangini category, meaning a no-nonsense dictator, but he clearly wants to run a more buttoned-up program than Rex Ryan. So, yes, the players will experience a transition period. The Buffalo Bills are dealing with the same thing, except in the opposite direction. They're going from a stoic, disciplinarian (Doug Marrone) to the say-anything, fun-loving Ryan. Teams reflect the personality of their coach, so I guarantee you'll hear a lot of brash talk coming from the Bills' locker room this season. As journalists, we're going to miss the madness of Rex.

Jets mailbag, part II: Examining quarterbacks and potential trades

20h
  •  
  • Rich Cimini, ESPN New York Jets reporter
  •  

• Comment

As promised, another batch of questions on the New York Jets:

If they can't get Mariota, who will be that last QB Bowles said he wants on the roster? Grayson? Petty? My sleeper: Sean Mannion #Jetsmail

@RichCimini: The Jets have done a lot of work on Garrett GraysonBryce Pettyand Brett Hundley. I'd give the edge to Grayson because he has experience in a pro-style offense. He has a little bit of a hitch in his delivery, slowing down his release, but he also has some positive traits. Hundley is a lot like Geno Smith -- some real good physical attributes, but his feel for the position is questionable. Petty has a strong arm and good intangibles, but he played in a spread offense and will need a lot of time to develop. I haven't heard any Jets-Sean Mannionbuzz, so I'd be surprised. Bottom line: We're not talking about any sure-fire future starters here. If they can't get Marcus Mariota, it comes a roll of the dice.

yler Calhoun @calhounn5

@RichCimini do you think the jets will try to move down in the 1 or 2 rd and maybe trade for Mike Glennon and a second round pick? #Jetsmail

@RichCimini: Yes, I think the Jets are open to moving down in the first round. In his pre-draft news conference, GM Mike Maccagnan expressed his preference for accumulating extra picks. Of course, he could be playing poker, so who knows? The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have been getting calls about Mike Glennonbecause everyone assumes they will draft Jameis Winston, but I'm not so sure that would mean Glennon is a goner. Right now, he's the only quarterback on their roster. Someone has to be a backup, right? If Glennon is on the trading block, the Jets would have to ask themselves: Is he better than what we already have? I think he'd be worth exploring, depending on the price. He put up decent numbers with no running game and a shaky offensive line.

New York Jets @nyjetseditor

@RichCimini do you see a player-for-pick trade happening on draft day? #jetsmail

•  

@RichCimini: This is an interesting question because the Jets have a handful of tradeable commodities. By tradeable, I mean players whose contract and/or value could make them attractive to another team. Players entering contract years are Chris IvoryDamon Harrison and Demario Davis, all of whom are proven starters. If healthy, Dee Milliner could attract a little interest, but it wouldn't make sense to deal him because they'd receive only a pennies-on-the-dollar return on their initial investment. Obviously, Muhammad Wilkersonwould generate a lot of interest, but it would be lunacy to trade a cornerstone player.

Forma @JForma

The more you I look at this draft the more it looks like The Jets should beef up their OL, Scherff a possibility? #Jetsmail

@RichCimini: Obviously, it all depends on what happens with the first five picks. Brandon Scherff is widely regarded as the best offensive lineman in the draft, but I question whether he'd be a good value at six. Many teams see him as a guard, not a tackle -- and especially not a left tackle, his college position. To me, it's a reach to draft a guard with the sixth pick. If you're going to take a lineman that high, make it a tackle. The top tackles are Ereck Flowers andAndrus Peat, both of whom visited the Jets. They, too, played left tackle in college, but they could probably play right tackle, especially Flowers. He played there early in his career. But I'm not sure either one is worth the sixth pick.

@RichCimini does the team experience a culture shock going from a outspoken coach like Rex to a strictly business guy like Bowles? #Jetsmail

@RichCimini: Totally. Let's not put Todd Bowles in the Eric Mangini category, meaning a no-nonsense dictator, but he clearly wants to run a more buttoned-up program than Rex Ryan. So, yes, the players will experience a transition period. The Buffalo Bills are dealing with the same thing, except in the opposite direction. They're going from a stoic, disciplinarian (Doug Marrone) to the say-anything, fun-loving Ryan. Teams reflect the personality of their coach, so I guarantee you'll hear a lot of brash talk coming from the Bills' locker room this season. As journalists, we're going to miss the madness of Rex.

If the Jets make a draft day trade for Glennon, I wonder how many pages the thread with Villain taking victory laps will be?

:)

The Buffalo Bills will experience more than just Rex's idea of 'fun', they are in for a lot of lopsided losses, especially when things seem to be going well. One trait of the Jets under Rex since his third year, they always fell on their faces and suffered a bad loss, just when they needed a big win. Sorry Bills fans, but the only consistency in Rex Ryan is inconsistency in terms of wins.

If the Jets make a draft day trade for Glennon, I wonder how many pages the thread with Villain taking victory laps will be?

:)

Dude, I already have my Nike's on. 

The Victory lap wont begin until January though. I specifically said, and I will stand by these words, Mike Glennon makes this Jets squad a Superbowl contender because he would make us a contender for the division. You dont even wanna be around Jetnation if we trade for Glennon and we happen to make the superbowl lol. Max would have to ban my IP address until offseason combines! lol. 

The Victory lap wont begin until January though. I specifically said, and I will stand by these words, Mike Glennon makes this Jets squad a Superbowl contender because he would make us a contender for the division. You dont even wanna be around Jetnation if we trade for Glennon and we happen to make the superbowl lol. Max would have to ban my IP address until offseason combines! lol. 

LOL

If that all happens, Super Bowl and all, don't think Max will ban ya, more like make you asst. High Chief asst. Commander.

Would generate a lot of hits.  You've convinced  me.  :)

LOL

If that all happens, Super Bowl and all, don't think Max will ban ya, more like make you asst. High Chief asst. Commander.

Would generate a lot of hits.  You've convinced  me.   :)

Came across a unique stat today. You know how we constantly hear about Vincent Jackson and Mike Evans and the questions behind Glennon stats given his "All world WR's"? Check out this stat, Its a touchdown split. How much football airtime vs. receiver YAC did QB TD's have. 

Airtime%20vs%20YAC.jpg

All 10 TD's basically caught in the endzone, and this is a stat from a QB who's one of the better accurate downfield passers in the NFL. We're not talking Ryan Tannehill here with the poor downfield accuracy. His receivers basically get no YAC or break plays for TD's. 

Villain,

You can put me on the Mike Glennon bandwagon as well...and I have said so in a previous post. Dude can play...

Villain,

You can put me on the Mike Glennon bandwagon as well...and I have said so in a previous post. Dude can play...

There's more than enough room for you bro lol. Not many believe. In my eyes dude is a good QB and has the tools to be an absolute beast with some oline help and a running game. 

Dont want to hijack the thread with Glennon (<<<Rutgers will react to this comment lol), but its good to see that some other people have looked for themselves and see what I see. Hopefully Mac and Bowles agree. 

There's more than enough room for you bro lol. Not many believe. In my eyes dude is a good QB and has the tools to be an absolute beast with some oline help and a running game. 

Dont want to hijack the thread with Glennon (<<<Rutgers will react to this comment lol), but its good to see that some other people have looked for themselves and see what I see. Hopefully Mac and Bowles agree. 

Bart Scott was on twitter a while ago recommending Glennon as well - I'll take that as someone who knows something about football:

Per his twitter account:

"Trade for Mike Glennon he reminds me of Flacco sign Eddie Royal use 6 for Lineman or an outside pass rusher"

https://twitter.com/bartscott57

51 retweets74 favorites

Retweet51
 Favorite74
More

Best available QB, and well worth a trade. He's hands down better than what we have and with this team he could be a top 15 QB. I personally think in another year or two with support this kid is a top 10 QB easy. 

Trade what?  We only have 6 picks and two of them are in the 7th round.  Are you suggesting trading our 4th or third round pick?

I really hope we have to ban your IP address.  You could be on one of the floats during the parade! 

Trade what?  We only have 6 picks and two of them are in the 7th round.  Are you suggesting trading our 4th or third round pick?

Bowles has said they are going to add a QB.   After Winston and Mariota this is a very bad QB draft. 

If they don't trade for Glennon they are going to most likely use a pick in rounds 2-4.     Which of these other guys do you think has shown he will be a better NFL QB then Glennon?

Bart Scott was on twitter a while ago recommending Glennon as well - I'll take that as someone who knows something about football:

Per his twitter account:

"Trade for Mike Glennon he reminds me of Flacco sign Eddie Royal use 6 for Lineman or an outside pass rusher"

51 retweets74 favorites

Retweet51
 Favorite74
More

Yeah, I seen that tweet a while back. I think he Bart follows me on jetnation.com! lol. 

Yes. Blasphemous, I know. 

I really hope we have to ban your IP address.  You could be on one of the floats during the parade! 

I made a deal with myself that if the Jets were to ever make the SB that I would be there to either attend the game or atleast tailgate and watch the game in the parkinglot. Now that I live all the way in Germany it would be the Jets to go to the Superbowl this year and force my hand lol. 

Bowles has said they are going to add a QB.   After Winston and Mariota this is a very bad QB draft. 

If they don't trade for Glennon they are going to most likely use a pick in rounds 2-4.     Which of these other guys do you think has shown he will be a better NFL QB then Glennon?

Thank you. I wasnt even going to try. Seemed too much like a "set up". lol. 

To me, a trade for Glennon has very much the same feel as the trade for Ivory.  Every time I watched Ivory in NO I was impressed, but he was a good back in a situation that was not a good fit for him (behind Ingram on NO's power back chart, and on a team that wanted to pass first and often with lots of other better receiving backs).  He was/is one of the few positive additions that Idzik made to the squad, and he has proven to be a good back in his time here.  Glennon has always appeared to me, every TB game I watched at least, to be a good QB.  Willing to stand in there, and quite accurate, but on a team that was a bad fit for him.  True he had good receivers, but that was a terrible line, and there was little running game to defer the heat on him.  If we could get him for a 3 I would have to think a long time about doing that, and if we could somehow get him for a 4 I would make that move in a heartbeat.  I am on board with Villain too (at the right price)

Grabbing Glennon would be sweet but no way, IMO, Bucs ship him out.

Villian,  I may be warming up to this Glennon idea.....

Villain,

Per his twitter account:

51 retweets74 favorites

Retweet51
 Favorite74
More

To me, a trade for Glennon has very much the same feel as the trade for Ivory.  Every time I watched Ivory in NO I was impressed, but he was a good back in a situation that was not a good fit for him (behind Ingram on NO's power back chart, and on a team that wanted to pass first and often with lots of other better receiving backs).  He was/is one of the few positive additions that Idzik made to the squad, and he has proven to be a good back in his time here.  Glennon has always appeared to me, every TB game I watched at least, to be a good QB.  Willing to stand in there, and quite accurate, but on a team that was a bad fit for him.  True he had good receivers, but that was a terrible line, and there was little running game to defer the heat on him.  If we could get him for a 3 I would have to think a long time about doing that, and if we could somehow get him for a 4 I would make that move in a heartbeat.  I am on board with Villain too (at the right price)

So what do we call this?  Villains posse?   LOL

Didn't realize there were no other QBs on TB. Thought they had a PS guy or something. Yeah, they're not trading Glennon.

Meh, this time of year doesn't mean squat.   Like both Smith and Sanchez before him Winston will probably be the rookie opening day starter.

Who did Smith and Sanchez have backing them up?  Some useless old washed up guys?  There are still a bunch of bad vet back up FA's out there.  The Bucs will find one of them

Meh, this time of year doesn't mean squat.   Like both Smith and Sanchez before him Winston will probably be the rookie opening day starter.

Who did Smith and Sanchez have backing them up?  Some useless old washed up guys?  There are still a bunch of bad vet back up FA's out there.  The Bucs will find one of them

While I am warming up to the idea, I have a difficult time thinking that TB would trade the only other QB on their roster if they draft Winston...And the useless guys backing up Sanchez and Smith turned out to be a mistake.  IMO the Jets got to the AFC Championship games inspite of Sanchez, not because of him.  

Archived