30 for 30 - Elway to Marino; a Must Watch

JetBlue

I know a lot of you probably have already seen this but even if you have it is worth watching again especially as we approach the draft this week.   It was this draft that truly elevated it into the event it is today. 

Fascinating thing how Marvin Demhoff represented both Elway and Marino; there is the whole baseball angle and what might have happened if Elway really did choose baseball over football (as a Yankee fan I can only wonder how that might have worked out.)

Then there is the Steelers passing over home town boy Dan Marino.  Even Kansas City made the error of passing over him to take Todd Blackledge (quarterback for defending champion Penn State but not nearly the prospect Marino was.)

I found it fascinating how Marino dropped based on nothing but RUMORS of drug use; nothing proved or substantiated...

How the Jets over-thinking as usual, passed over him for some small school qb NOBODY had every heard of in Kenny O'Brien (to his credit, went on to have a pretty decent career)

All the intrigue with new Gm Ernie Accorsi trying to make the best trade he can (after Elway made it known he didn't want to play in Baltimore) while his idiot owner, Bob Irsay constantly meddled and interfered.   

How Jim Kelly absolutely DID NOT want to go to Buffalo and thought he dodged a bullet when the Bills took a lineman at 12 only to drafted by Buffalo with the second of their 1st round picks, lol.

The USFL angle was also very interesting; Kelly was on the verge of signing with Buffalo when call comes in and the secretary actually puts it through.  His agents takes the call and is told they USFL will offer more money and they get up and leave right before signing! 

Besides the drafting of 6 quarterbacks in the first round (including 3 hall of famers) there were also a number of hall of fame players from that draft including the last player taken in the first round by the Washington Redskins, Darrell Green.

I'm telling you, this is good stuff.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk89BTxcBAk

Wow I guess great minds think a like.  :-)

I was locked into the whole show.  normally I zone out and change the channel after 15 minutes but I watched every second of this.  accorsi was put in a very tough spot, but he never should have sprinted the card to the podium with the first pick, and he never should have let kelly go to the bills

to come away with a back up QB and two lineman was an epic fail

it was amazing just to see the parade of picks, from HOF'ers to guys who lasted 3 years in the league to pro-bowlers to average jags.  

the pats offered hannah and a pick, the cowboys were thinking about danny white and a pick but they mysteriously backed out.  did the league interfere with that deal as well ?

just fascinating stuff

I was locked into the whole show.  normally I zone out and change the channel after 15 minutes but I watched every second of this.  accorsi was put in a very tough spot, but he never should have sprinted the card to the podium with the first pick, and he never should have let kelly go to the bills

to come away with a back up QB and two lineman was an epic fail

it was amazing just to see the parade of picks, from HOF'ers to guys who lasted 3 years in the league to pro-bowlers to average jags.  

the pats offered hannah and a pick, the cowboys were thinking about danny white and a pick but they mysteriously backed out.  did the league interfere with that deal as well ?

just fascinating stuff

I agree with you on all points.   I think the league may have conspired to block the trade between Chicago and LA Raiders that would have given the Raiders the 6th pick that they subsequently would have traded to Baltimore (along with additional picks/players) for Elway.  (Al Davis had just sued the NFL and won; it was a crazy time for the league.) It was Irsay who screwed up the Dallas deal. 

What was really tragic was what happen to Gabriel Rivera.  Just six games into his career, this fool gets into his car totally drunk  has an accident and is paralyzed from the waist down.  It was such a waste....  Steelers pass on Marino and have nothing to show for it. The next year Bradshaw hurts his elbow and is done.... 

I remember seeing this awhile back, around the time it came out and it was a fascinating watch.

-Elway looked and sounded like an idiot in the interviews. This guy makes Winston sound like a politician.

-The Jets made a good pick, and in most drafts, that's a successful pick for when they are picking. Ofcourse, for our luck, they make a good pick when they could've made a great pick, and the guy goes to a division rival.

- it's somewhat hilarious to see how the set up for the draft was so low key there. I think there are fantasy league in person drafts that have more glamour now.

-The power play between the Kelly and the Bills, and Elway and the colts are fascinating. It had to have contributed in some sense to the proceeding CBA's and how the leverage of a guy is limited when he's being drafted these days. That's a nightmare scenario for the league, to have the players dictate where they play, because it throws competitive balance out the window.

-What is it with the Colts and getting top picks in years with can't miss HOF QBs available?

Looking back I find it interesting just how close the USFL came to actually establishing itself as a major sports league. Trump and his minions almost pulled it off if they had done a few things differently. As far as this 30/30 episode, just another piece of damning evidence for the ineptitude of our past Jet Front Office.

Hoping for better days come Thursday.

Marino was never, never, never going to be a Jet.

That Jet front office had 2 major red flags that would prevent you from being drafted by a Jet:

-Drug issues. The Jets were attempting to be a "model" NFL franchise. Jim Kensil led this charge, as he was former NFL HQ employee/lackey. 

-Knee injuries. The Joe Namath experience spooked the Jets and they had a vigorous program for checking the knees of prospective draft picks and trade possibilities. If the knee showed a slight bit of instability, the Jets ran away. 

A few major takeaways I had from that movie:

1. Why the hell aren't the Chiefs and Pats mocked as badly as the Jets for passing on Marino? They both had shots ahead of the Jets, hell, Jim Kelly was also on the board when the Chiefs drafted and they passed on both him and Marino and the only place its ever discussed is apparently Kansas City. 

2. Don Shula stating that the Dolphins were 100% prepared to take Ken O'Brien had the Jets taken Marino. Got a feeling that if mock drafts were as common then as they are now, 99% of them would have had O'Brien going to Miami. 

3. O'Brien was 9-7 head to head with Marino and they both won the same number of Super Bowls. Marino can eat a dick! KENNY O FOR LIFE BITCHES!!!

Marino was never, never, never going to be a Jet.

That Jet front office had 2 major red flags that would prevent you from being drafted by a Jet:

-Drug issues. The Jets were attempting to be a "model" NFL franchise. Jim Kensil led this charge, as he was former NFL HQ employee/lackey. 

-Knee injuries. The Joe Namath experience spooked the Jets and they had a vigorous program for checking the knees of prospective draft picks and trade possibilities. If the knee showed a slight bit of instability, the Jets ran away. 

Right...because JETS management knows. :mad0259:

A few major takeaways I had from that movie:

1. Why the hell aren't the Chiefs and Pats mocked as badly as the Jets for passing on Marino? They both had shots ahead of the Jets, hell, Jim Kelly was also on the board when the Chiefs drafted and they passed on both him and Marino and the only place its ever discussed is apparently Kansas City. 

2. Don Shula stating that the Dolphins were 100% prepared to take Ken O'Brien had the Jets taken Marino. Got a feeling that if mock drafts were as common then as they are now, 99% of them would have had O'Brien going to Miami. 

3. O'Brien was 9-7 head to head with Marino and they both won the same number of Super Bowls. Marino can eat a dick! KENNY O FOR LIFE BITCHES!!!

Interesting...but I didnt see his likeness in the HOF???  Birds would shlt on Kenny when he dropped back as they mis took him for a statue.

I recently saw a post by a Pats fan ripping the Jets for picking Kenny O over Marino.   I politely replied "NE Patriots pick 15, Tony Eason"  and have not heard back.

The only reason they gloat is they got lucky with Brady years later.  Passing over Jim Kelly for a soft as charmin Eason was a joke but he did make it to a Superbowl; something Ken O'Brien never managed.... (not saying it was Kenny's fault).   Of course they were crucified by the Bears but hey.... 

I recently saw a post by a Pats fan ripping the Jets for picking Kenny O over Marino.   I politely replied "NE Patriots pick 15, Tony Eason"  and have not heard back.

The reason you didn't hear back from them is because they weren't Pats fans yet back then

Archived