Different take on Top-5 Prospects by LaConforna

nycdan

Jason LaConforna just posted a really different take on the top-5 talents in the draft.  I won't post the entire thing but I will tease with this:  No QBs, and at least one name that I found surprising.

Leonard Williams, Dante Fowler, Shane Ray, Kevin White, Amari Cooper.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25164871/there-are-only-five-cant-miss-players-in-the-2015-nfl-draft

He notes that the list isn't his but comes from a scout he trusts very much.

Here's a teaser on their top guy.

1. Leonard Williams, DL, USC: He's the best pick in this draft and it isn't even really all that close. In fact, if the two quarterbacks go with the first two picks, and the Jaguars (picking third overall) take (pass rusher Dante) Fowler before him, they're crazy. I don't care what your defensive line looks like, this is the pick. He should go first overall. There is no way I would take one of these quarterbacks over him, but with the position some of these teams are in, I understand why he won't go first. I can't say he's completely can't-miss. He's a little bit different in some ways; he's kind of a hippie. But he can play, God can he play. He is the best player in this draft and I don't see how anyone could really debate that.

So I wasn't keen on Williams because of our depth at DL, but this opened my eyes a bit.  If he fell to 6, I was all about the trade down (which would probably be best if we got a king's ransom) but this is as gushy as I've seen on any of these kids.

Enjoy FWIW.

I like Ray a lot, but he's too small to be a classic 4-3 DE which is ideal position with HID.

The learning curve to OLB coverage drops him, IMO from a Jets perspective, to a 2nd rounder because he's learning a new facet of the position which will take time at the speed the NFL functions. He's a developmental OLB and that is NOT worth the #6 overall, and then there's the "foot issue"

Top 5, then a drop off a cliff..... great.

Only if you believe the five, and you know one if not both QBs will go before our pick so we'll have good options.

I see a six-man pack.  2 QBs, 2 WRs, Williams and Fowler.  Any one of them works for me and at least one will be available.  So does that mean the Jets won't do something completely unexpected?  No, but I'm not worried about being on the outside looking in.  The Bears, on the other hand...

Only if you believe the five, and you know one if not both QBs will go before our pick so we'll have good options.

I see a six-man pack. 2 QBs, 2 WRs, Williams and Fowler. Any one of them works for me and at least one will be available. So does that mean the Jets won't do something completely unexpected? No, but I'm not worried about being on the outside looking in. The Bears, on the other hand...

You think Trader Mike will pull a few quick ones?

You think Trader Mike will pull a few quick ones?

I'm more concerned they draft someone who's a bigger question mark like Dupree or Ray.  Not that it would be a disaster at all, but I like the top-6 a lot.  Or a trade down for exceptional value (like CLE's #12 and their second rounder).

Sounds like Polian's list from the things I have heard him say. He is super high on Ray for some reason.

I have watched Shane Ray a LOT...as a Mizzou season ticket holder and all....the thing about Ray is only his size is not prototypical for the NFL.  Much like Richardson though, the kid has a NON-STOP motor and never takes a play off.  He's relentless.  Then, throw in the 'toe' issue and a recent marijuana possession and...you got a huge question mark for sure.  I'd LOVE for him to fall to us in the 2nd rd...but not sure he falls that far.

Archived