NFL fines Jets $100,000 for tampering

flgreen

NFL fines Jets $100,000 for Revis tampering

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 28, 2015, 12:11 PM EDT

The Jets are paying for tampering with Darrelle Revis while he was still on the Patriots. But they’re not paying very much.

The NFL has fined the Jets $100,000 as a result of owner Woody Johnson’s comments about Revis, but the Jets will not lose any draft picks, Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports. During the 2014 season, Johnson said, “I’d love for Darrelle to come back.”

Three months later, Revis did come back, leaving New England and returning to the Jets in free agency.

If Johnson’s comments helped the Jets acquire Revis, then that fine is a bargain. For a billionaire like Johnson, a $100,000 fine is chump change, and Revis is one of the best players in the NFL.

After signing Revis, the Jets later complained that Patriots owner Robert Kraft had tampered himself with comments he made about Revis. But the NFL has decided not to discipline the Patriots for that.

Mehta reports that at least one other team will be fined for tampering.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No draft picks is the key.  Woody has the money AND it was his fault so he has no one to blame for it.   Of course Pats won't get fined nor any news on deflate gate.

Even though the Pats weren't fined for tampering they may have helped us not lose a pick as the NFL couldn't severely punish us and then walk away scott free.   A slap on the wrist and nothing for the Pats is the norm.

I have no problem with this ruling.  It was a textbook case of tampering, and Woody has been warned in the past.

Hopefully, he'll learn to keep his mouth shut in front of the media.  I'm just glad that the only hit was to Woody's wallet.

This means Pats lose no draft picks for deflategate. If Goodell was inclined to do that, he would've offset by awarding them a Jets pick for tampering. And that's fine. I have been assuming Jets would basically end up getting punished for Deflategate by giving Pats their pick the round after Pats lost theirs.

Ok.... Let's move on...nothing more to see here....

Any news on Deflategate Commish?!?

ya, even Obama made jokes about the known cheating of pats at The White House.

The Pats literally have never won  a legit, 100% fair title. The NFL doesnt know what to do since I am sure they have evidence going back to 1st title. 

They ignore or face facts record books would have to be re-written and all Pats made ineligible for Hall of Fame.

So how much would Kraft get fined for similiar tampering on Revis after he was a JET. Anyone wanna guess ?

Similar?

MMMMoookkkaaaayyyyyy!!!!!!

Jets' tampering charge is bush league.

100K is a joke.  I am not saying they deserved more, because tampering is a joke.

This means Pats lose no draft picks for deflategate. If Goodell was inclined to do that, he would've offset by awarding them a Jets pick for tampering. And that's fine. I have been assuming Jets would basically end up getting punished for Deflategate by giving Pats their pick the round after Pats lost theirs.

None of this makes sense. Deflategate and the Jets' Revis "tampering" are two totally separate issues with no connection. 

******* YES!!!  Best case scenario.  Nice to see the Jets get a little bit of respect after being beat up for years.  I rly thought we were going to lose at least a 7th rd.

Now Woody stop talking about football and defer all questions to Macc and Bowles for the future.

A few idiots over at Patsfans.com have been on a crusade for months now demanding a 1st round pick for Woody's tampering.   What morons.  I'll be t one of them is on suicide watch now.  I've never seen a more deluded fan site than that one.  Most there are completely clueless.

A few idiots over at Patsfans.com have been on a crusade for months now demanding a 1st round pick for Woody's tampering. What morons. I'll be t one of them is on suicide watch now. I've never seen a more deluded fan site than that one. Most there are completely clueless.

I'd love to read some of those posts. lol.

I'd love to read some of those posts. lol.

oh they are going ape-sh*t over there.  They think Goodell favors the Jets, ignoring how he's buddy-buddy with Kraft.  

I have never seen such a deluded bunch of fans anywhere like those.  

None of this makes sense. Deflategate and the Jets' Revis "tampering" are two totally separate issues with no connection. 

It's a Kraft/Goodell are brosephs conspiracy theory, bro. But I do appreciate you following me around like a puppy trying to play devil's advocate to everything I say. It's cute. Sad. But cute.

Archived