Namath dropping more truth bombs

DaBallhawk

"I like the aggressiveness [of Maccagnan and Bowles], and I believe that they're bold and they know what the hell they're doing," Namath said. "I know with Todd Bowles, bringing in a different kind of leadership, in a sense, than the team's had. It's a different kind, and more so that I can relate to. So many times, we hear coaches say they've got their players' back: 'I've got your back. I've got your this.' Excuse me. There was a time when Tom Landry didn't have a friend in the locker room. And there was a time when Don Shula wasn't liked at all. Vince Lombardi was not a sweetheart to his players, and all that kind of stuff. No buddy-buddy stuff. I can understand 'I've got your back,' to a degree. But discipline is critical. Poise is critical. How he operates on the sidelines is very important throughout the game. And most of all, those coaches I mentioned and those that are gone and those that are here, they're only as good as their record. It's a win game, or see you later."

I always find myself agreeing with him 110% on everything. Even if he does say something controversial in the end everything he says makes sense and is just the truth. He's completely honest and right, all the time. Wish he'd have more influence and be somehow involved in the front office like a John Elway (not saying he should be anything close to a GM, but he should be involved in some way).

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/04/joe_namath_criticizes_ex-jets_coach_rex_ryans_appr.html#incart_related_stories

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rex is going to challenge namath to a fist fight now.

"It doesn't bother me one bit. Shoot, if somebody like Tanny would have said that, it would devastate me, it would bother me a lot. But Joe? What has he done? Whatever, we'll see 'em next season, he better be there. That's where I'm gonna leave it at. We don't back down from nobody. We'll see."

"It doesn't bother me one bit. Shoot, if somebody like Tanny would have said that, it would devastate me, it would bother me a lot. But Joe? What has he done? Whatever, we'll see 'em next season, he better be there. That's where I'm gonna leave it at. We don't back down from nobody. We'll see."

is that a quote from rex?

yeah, it really sounds like it doesn't bother him one bit...... lol

Meh, Tanny and Rex were "aggressive" and "bold", maybe in a different way but those adjectives apply either way you slice it.  Referencing coaches from 40 years ago does nothing for me. The whole disciplinary type coach vs. the players coach argument is over done IMO.  There is no silver bullet.  Plenty of different coaching styles have been successful in the league.  Pete Carroll has been to back to back Super Bowls.  Players play, coaches coach.  No coach gets it down without the players and Pete is the perfect example. 

By all accounts, Bowles is a players coach who runs a tight ship.  Fine.  Hopefully that balance works.  Its clearly a night and day difference than what Rex brought to the table but it doesnt automatically mean success and it doesnt mean its the right way.  Its their style.  Namath likes it.  Cool.  Glad he's happy.  I wonder how quickly he changes his stance to "Bowles needs to open up more to his players" if the Jets start losing.

Meh, Tanny and Rex were "aggressive" and "bold", maybe in a different way but those adjectives apply either way you slice it.  Referencing coaches from 40 years ago does nothing for me. The whole disciplinary type coach vs. the players coach argument is over done IMO.  There is no silver bullet.  Plenty of different coaching styles have been successful in the league.  Pete Carroll has been to back to back Super Bowls.  Players play, coaches coach.  No coach gets it down without the players and Pete is the perfect example. 

By all accounts, Bowles is a players coach who runs a tight ship.  Fine.  Hopefully that balance works.  Its clearly a night and day difference than what Rex brought to the table but it doesnt automatically mean success and it doesnt mean its the right way.  Its their style.  Namath likes it.  Cool.  Glad he's happy.  I wonder how quickly he changes his stance to "Bowles needs to open up more to his players" if the Jets start losing.

Namath isn't making the "players coach vs. disciplinarian" argument. He's saying that Bowles has his sh*t together, and implying Rex didn't. The bold is something I've been saying the past couple weeks, so I agree with you, and agree that that argument is played out, but that's not the statement being made here. I'm sure though, that the JN folks will assume their usual roles in polarizing it and dumbing it down to that. So maybe you are pre-empting what the thread will inevitably become... or firing the first shot in turning it into that.

I always find myself agreeing with him 110% on everything. Even if he does say something controversial in the end everything he says makes sense and is just the truth. He's completely honest and right, all the time. Wish he'd have more influence and be somehow involved in the front office like a John Elway (not saying he should be anything close to a GM, but he should be involved in some way).

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/04/joe_namath_criticizes_ex-jets_coach_rex_ryans_appr.html#incart_related_stories

My man Joe Willy. As I read it, I was imagining him saying it in the way he speaks. But he is correct once again.

Namath isn't making the "players coach vs. disciplinarian" argument. He's saying that Bowles has his sh*t together, and implying Rex didn't. The bold is something I've been saying the past couple weeks, so I agree with you, and agree that that argument is played out, but that's not the statement being made here. I'm sure though, that the JN folks will assume their usual roles in polarizing it and dumbing it down to that. So maybe you are pre-empting what the thread will inevitably become... or firing the first shot in turning it into that.

I dunno.  The quote below surely seems like he's going down that path. 

p.s. I love how he finished the quote with a Rexism. 

" Excuse me. There was a time when Tom Landry didn't have a friend in the locker room. And there was a time when Don Shula wasn't liked at all. Vince Lombardi was not a sweetheart to his players, and all that kind of stuff"

I agree Joe rocks always did always will.... go #12

It's not about running a tight ship. It's about making it perfectly clear to the players that you are not one of them. You are the headcoach, you run the team. You are above them. Rex was one of them, that's why they didn't respect him. They liked him because he was funny and he acted like he's a team mate, but that's about it. Nobody held them accountable, everybody got away with doing whatever they wanted. Skipping team meetings, watching movies instead of studying, and it showed on the field with all those missed assignments, broken coverages, whatever. It was a mess. You can be a very likelable headcoach and still be an authority type guy. You don't have to be an a$$hole to the players to make that point. Just do your job, do what you're being told and everything is fine. If you break a rule, if you don't respect the HC, you get punished. It's pretty simple. Go ask all the players BB coached over the years, they all love him. And he's the furthest thing from a players coach. You miss practice, whether it's your fault or not, if you're a HOF type player or a rookie, doesn't matter, you're inactive that week. Go look at how he treated Revis when he was late for practice. Rex? What does he do? Nothing. A god damn rookie (Pryor) skips team meetings over and over again, comes in late all the time, who cares? Geno goes out to watch some movies on a friday when we have a game on saturday or sunday. Nothing happens. Rex is a joke of a HC.

Kool. For me...  back in the back and white TV days,   My dad would watch the games (JETS and Giants) and I never knew who he truly rooted for. he died when I was young.  Buit I remember seeing the BRUT and Faberge commercials and then he beat the Giants on a naked bootleg in the Yale bowl and that was it. JETS for life, Fukk the Giants.

Listen to a Radio interview I did as the co-founder of the Charlotte JETS club.  we discuss Joe/

Kool. For me...  back in the back and white TV days,   My dad would watch the games (JETS and Giants) and I never knew who he truly rooted for. he died when I was young.  Buit I remember seeing the BRUT and Faberge commercials and then he beat the Giants on a naked bootleg in the Yale bowl and that was it. JETS for life, Fukk the Giants.

Listen to a Radio interview I did as the co-founder of the Charlotte JETS club.  we discuss Joe/

I agree Bro, I will checkout your show where do I find it, I will tonight or over the weekend.   I remember the Yale bowl.  My mom bought me the Joe Namath jersey in 1968 to get me away from being a fanatical Yankee fan, it worked I am a fanatical Jet fan.

This pretty much nails it.

Oh I see where to get, I am blocked at work but will check it out at home!

This 100%

Namath is saying discipline is important inside of a well run team.

Even Pete Carroll a so called players coach has clear lines as he showed by shipping off one of his better playmakers.

The idea that to be a players coach means you are lax is silly. All that overused phrase means is that a coach shows that he cares which something that Lombardi was very good at as well.

I think Namath is on the money.  The coach is your boss, he should not be your buddy.

I don't think Bowles is going to be anything like Rex in that respect. Rex is a fake and a guy with little real confidence and needs to 'project' an image. He was a guy that would rather be liked in the locker room than respected. It is also reflected in his attitude toward 'moral victories' which Rex prized highly. I think Bowles will drop the hammer on underachievers where Rex let them slide. Right Kyle Wilson?

This 100%

Namath is saying discipline is important inside of a well run team.

Even Pete Carroll a so called players coach has clear lines as he showed by shipping off one of his better playmakers.

The idea that to be a players coach means you are lax is silly. All that overused phrase means is that a coach shows that he cares which something that Lombardi was very good at as well.

Nobody denies that discipline is important.  Namath said you couldn't have discipline and be friendly with the players. 

Please explain to me how shipping Harvin off has anything to do with having a players back, poise, the way he acts on the sidelines.  If anything, they moved him specifically to protect WIlson.

I don't see how this is a "truth bomb"   What this amounts to is a team icon saying what most of the board agrees with.  This might as well have been a post over here.  New coach good, old coach bad.  Yay!  It must be true.  Nobody has any idea what Bowles will be like.  I pray that he is as good as some of you think. 

Nobody denies that discipline is important.  Namath said you couldn't have discipline and be friendly with the players. 

Please explain to me how shipping Harvin off has anything to do with having a players back, poise, the way he acts on the sidelines.  If anything, they moved him specifically to protect WIlson.

I don't see how this is a "truth bomb"   What this amounts to is a team icon saying what most of the board agrees with.  This might as well have been a post over here.  New coach good, old coach bad.  Yay!  It must be true.  Nobody has any idea what Bowles will be like.  I pray that he is as good as some of you think. 

Namath loved Rex until he didnt, just like 98% of Jets fans.  Same will happen with Bowles if he doesnt win.

Archived