Geno Smith defiant as Jets enter draft: ‘I believe this is my team’

JetBlue

Can't get enough Geno!! lol.  Let the flames begin!!!  

Geno Smith defiant as Jets enter draft: ‘I believe this is my team’

Two years ago, the Jets took Geno Smith in the draft. This year, they could draft his replacement, but Smith is not focusing on whether the Jets will take a quarterback this week.

“You have to expect anything, but going out there I believe this is my team,” Smith said Wednesday. “I go out there and I work hard and try to lead the guys the best way that I can. I’m not going to sit here and talk about it. I want to lead this team the right way and I want to continue to get better as a player.”

Smith enters this spring with more uncertainty surrounding his spot on the Jets than in either of the previous two years. In 2013, he was the rookie trying to take Mark Sanchez’s job. Last year, he was handed the starting job by former coach Rex Ryan and GM John Idzik. This year, he has to compete for the starting spot.

The Jets traded for veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick in March and may add another quarterback in the draft.

Though it appears unlikely the Jets will get the chance to select Jameis Winston or Marcus Mariota, they could draft a second-tier quarterback in the middle rounds on Friday or Saturday. The Jets have met with every top quarterback in this draft, an indication they are definitely considering adding one.

Modal Triggergenome2.jpg?w=450&h=300

Matt Simms (5) and Ryan Fitzpatrick (14) look on as Smith works on the practice field.Photo: Bill Kostroun

Smith said he’s not concerned with what the Jets might do.

“There’s always other guys. That’s the nature of the business,” Smith said. “There’s always going to be competition. I’ve always welcomed it and I still do.”

Jets coach Todd Bowles said Smith is doing the right thing by ignoring any reports on what the Jets may or may not do this week.

“I don’t think he can pay any mind to it,” Bowles said. “Just like when he came into the league, there was other quarterbacks here. That’s at every position. If you look at what we draft instead of worrying about what you can do, you’re going to lose your spot.”

Smith, 24, has had an up-and-down two years with the Jets. Last season, he threw for 13 touchdowns and 13 interceptions in 14 games. After the Jets loaded up in free agency, bolstering their secondary and adding wide receiver Brandon Marshall in a trade, a common refrain from Jets fans has been they are a quarterback away from being a good team. Smith surely has heard this, but said he is ignoring the criticism.

“I don’t listen to the outside noise,” Smith said. “I don’t think it’s important at all. I don’t think it motivates me. I’m motivated by the fact that we need to win. Obviously, we need to build chemistry. We need to learn this offense, really master this offense. I’m motivated by those things more than anything else.”

Bowles said he has no timetable for when RB Stevan Ridley (knee) will be able to practice. He said Ridley is able to run in a straight line, but he is not making cuts.

DT Sheldon Richardson missed the voluntary minicamp for the second straight day. DE Muhammad Wilkerson continues to skip the workouts as he seeks a new contract. S Calvin Pryor and WR Jeremy Kerley were at practice after missing Tuesday’s.

NT Damon Harrison signed his restricted free agent tender.

http://nypost.com/2015/04/29/geno-smith-defiant-as-jets-enter-draft-i-believe-this-is-my-team/

Okay guys let's hear it!! 

I would hope that Geno feels that way.  It technically is still "his" team until another QB comes along and takes it away from him.  It's not like he lacks the ability to beat out Ryan Fitzpatrick and Matt Simms.

Exactly; with a few more weapons..... who knows maybe he can perform like an actual NFL quarterback. 

I would hope that Geno feels that way.  It technically is still "his" team until another QB comes along and takes it away from him.  It's not like he lacks the ability to beat out Ryan Fitzpatrick and Matt Simms.

Fritz will easily beat him out for the job, and I am not one of his fans. Geno is just terrible and if it wasn't for Miami tanking two years in a row this guy will be gone.

Me too. 

What would you hope he says, "I suck and hope to be a career backup?"

Geno has always talked the talk perfectly. It's the walking the walk part where he has fallen short.

What Geno says or thinks is of very little interest.

What Geno does, on the field, is all that will really matter.

These two posts are to the point. As Jets fans, we are are so tired of hearing the verbal diarrhea. Get out on the field and contribute, or go sit on the bench and keep your trap shut. Tired of this junk.

Archived