Don't get this Leonard Williams pick at all

Sully28

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

But looking back, Williams is a great player, but was he a difference maker? [[Hard to tell on a bad team. NFL Rosters are 53 guys.  The fact that Leo is the best player on a sh*t team doesn't make him any less of a player]] Would we not be better off with Mariotta or Gurley on this roster that is bereft of offensive talent?  [[I don't think either of those guys has emerged as slam dunks]]  Doesn't Jets history show that since the drafting of Williams we are no closer to a Top 5 defense than we were before we nabbed him? [[Yes, but again, for other reasons (lack of edge rusher and terrible corners in a 3-4 scheme, incompetent HC/DC for starters]] Methinks so.

Makes sense, thank you.

SAR I

25 minutes ago, SAR I said:

But looking back, Williams is a great player, but was he a difference maker?  Would we not be better off with Mariotta or Gurley on this roster that is bereft of offensive talent?  Doesn't Jets history show that since the drafting of Williams we are no closer to a Top 5 defense than we were before we nabbed him?  Methinks so.

SAR I

Absolutely would be better off with Mariotta.  Anyone who would rather have a positional player over a franchise quarterback has lost rationality.  Gurley though?  Is our offensive line any better than the Rams?  How's that working out for Gurley?  And it's very easy to say we could've traded up for Mariotta.  Don't really know how realistic though.  

Certainly unfortunate that twice in the last three drafts the best prospect at pick six plays defense.  But I don't think you can argue the player or the value.  

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Just so people remember there was a 14 page thread about Williams not being the right pick. .  

This was the subject line I was paying homage to when I wrote "I really don't get this Jamal Adams pick" (before the mods changed it to "whine about Jamal Adams here").  There were subject lines just like this for our first few picks during that draft.  

2 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Absolutely would be better off with Mariotta.  Anyone who would rather have a positional player over a franchise quarterback has lost rationality. 

What the hell does this have to do with anything?  Mariotta was long gone when it was our pick, and we saw what it took for the Rams and the Eagles to go up and get their guy.  Mariotta has done nothing yet to excite anyone, Goff hasn't even played.  If Mariotta was there when we picked Williams, that is a conversation worth having.  But he wasn't, and the price was probably too steep to get him.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

This was the subject line I was paying homage to when I wrote "I really don't get this Jamal Adams pick" (before the mods changed it to "whine about Jamal Adams here").  There were subject lines just like this for our first few picks during that draft.  

Just wait till next year's "I really don't get this Sam Darnold pick"! :D 

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Exactly.  It's those twenty-year-old-used-car blue-collar unemployed-in-mom's-basement draftnick experts that I rely on for my draft analysis.

But looking back, Williams is a great player, but was he a difference maker?  Would we not be better off with Mariotta or Gurley on this roster that is bereft of offensive talent?  Doesn't Jets history show that since the drafting of Williams we are no closer to a Top 5 defense than we were before we nabbed him?  Methinks so.

SAR I

Williams is a good player, not a great player.  And Maccagnan tried to trade up for Mariota.  Tennessee wasn't budging.  They had no QB and Mariota and Winston were both seen as franchise QBs.

What the Jets should have done that year was fire Rex Ryan in November.  Had they done so, they would have probably gotten the #2 pick in a draft where there were two QBs who would have been the franchise for the next 15 years.  Right now, we should be talking about how we can make the team around Mariota better.  Instead, we're in the same place we were in two or three years ago with another stinker of a season coming up.

3 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Absolutely would be better off with Mariotta.  Anyone who would rather have a positional player over a franchise quarterback has lost rationality.  Gurley though?  Is our offensive line any better than the Rams?  How's that working out for Gurley?  And it's very easy to say we could've traded up for Mariotta.  Don't really know how realistic though.  

Certainly unfortunate that twice in the last three drafts the best prospect at pick six plays defense.  But I don't think you can argue the player or the value.  

Maccagnan tried to trade up for Mariota in 2015 and Goff last year. 

1 minute ago, detectivekimble said:

Maccagnan tried to trade up for Mariota in 2015 and Goff last year. 

Thus my preference for trading down this year and getting that extra 1st next year.  This time next year we will hearing how mac tried to trade up for Qb A, B or C but couldn't lt pull it off.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Thus my preference for trading down this year and getting that extra 1st next year.  This time next year we will hearing how mac tried to trade up for Qb A, B or C but couldn't lt pull it off.

I didn't see the value of a high draft pick in this year's draft.  This was probably the year to have a lot of picks.  Look at some of the guys still available.

Williams still isn't great to some and the fact that he looks great right now is that we're a bad team.  We also still don't know if he was the right pick.

This is now my favorite thread of all time.  Thank you for the necro. 

Archived