Klecko: Wilkerson will be a different player under Todd Bowles; Rex like father who let you do anything

Lizard King

NY post:

It isn’t likely to be fun watching Geno Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick play quarterback for the Jets. But it sure will be fun — for however long they are all together, for however long Muhammad Wilkerson is a Jet — watching the modern-day version of the New York Sack Exchange.

Mike Maccagnan didn’t want to pay the price to trade up with Tennessee for Marcus Mariota, but he lucked into the next big thing — a 6-foot-5, 300-pounder named Leonard Williams, the best player in the draft who fell into his lap at No. 6, and a player who reminds some of former Patriot Richard Seymour.

“This defense is gonna be absolutely phenomenal, it really is,” former Jets great Joe Klecko told The Post. “I just hope they don’t get filled with themselves, because they’re gonna be good, they’re gonna be real good. There ain’t no doubt in my mind.”

I asked Klecko if this can be the best defense in the NFL.

“Oh yeah, I think so, I really do. I really believe that,” he said.

“Listen, even if they didn’t draft this kid where they drafted him at, and they kept in place what they had up front, you know, with the front seven guys — the biggest thing they did was the three guys [Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie and Buster Skrine] in the back. You take those wide receivers and slot guy, and you got ’em covered. You got ’em covered. I’ll tell you what — that’s a quarterback’s nightmare.”

Klecko, Mark Gastineau, Marty Lyons and Abdul Salaam didn’t have the luxury of a Revis in the secondary.

“Every great defense you look at, basically, has great cornerbacks,” Klecko said. “I mean, listen — how good were we as a defensive line? We were great, we really were. And we’d get after the passer. Our cornerbacks were mediocre in best of times. You have cornerbacks like these three guys they have? Let me tell you something — that is the world of difference. It’s almost like a crime to have those kind of guys on the field.

“I think the defense, without a doubt, could be the best.”

The Williams coup means Wilkerson just lost his leverage on any long-term deal, which makes his future uncertain. The Jets say they aren’t shopping him, but you know how that goes. There is, after all, a salary cap.

For now, allow yourself to fantasize over a defensive line of Williams, Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson and Damon “Snacks” Harrison, with Revis and Cromartie on the back end of Todd Bowles’ hybrid defense that will keep Smith or Fitzpatrick in every game.

Klecko would be in favor of keeping Wilkerson.

“I think Wilkerson will be a different player under Todd Bowles, I really do,” he said.

Asked why, Klecko said: “Professional football players today, if you let them run wild … you give ’em an inch, they’ll take a mile. I don’t think Todd Bowles is gonna give ’em an inch. I think Todd Bowles is gonna make ’em toe the line.

“Rex was a loosey-goosey guy, people loved playing for Rex because, what the hell? He’s like a father that allowed you to do whatever you wanted. These guys are gonna be a little more disciplined, and that’s gonna be a good thing.”

Klecko would like to see more intensity from Wilkerson.

“Sheldon Richardson, you can rip one of his arms off, he’ll never stop, you know what I mean?” Klecko said. “He’s just that kind of player. He just can’t stop, he goes and goes and goes. If Wilkerson had that kind of motor, he’d be level with J.J. Watt. He has that kind of size, he’s a monster.”

Williams is a 20-year-old monster who can play anywhere on the defensive line. “Why wouldn’t you go to a four-man line?” Klecko said.

With Richardson outside? “Exactly, that’s what I was thinking, yeah,” he said.

I asked Klecko how he would compare this prospective defensive line to the old Sack Exchange.

“I think they have more talent, they really do,” Klecko said.

He has watched highlights of Williams. “He uses his hands well, real well,” Klecko said. “A guy that has any kind of strength can use his hands well, is gonna do well in the NFL.”

What would Klecko want to say to Jets fans?

“Well make sure you don’t miss the first game, that’s all,” he said, and laughed.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe a topic for another thread, but the amount of resources we spent on defense this off season, where do we need to end up before we get a billboard for bowles? Top 3? 

So Wilkerson is going to be better because Bowles > Rex + Dunbar?  Even you admitted the defensive line excelled under him.  If Wilkerson does any better, particularly showing more motor it is because it is a contract year.

Him and Sheldon will be much better....QB's won't be throwing to guys covered by Kyle Wilson anymore.  The level of play the Jets got out of their D-line last season with no help in the secondary was crazy considering it was Walls/Williams/Wilson/Adams/Landry/Pryor manning the secondary.

I expect double-digit sacks from both guys.

Yeah, unlike Namath when Rex first got hired, Klecko didn't try and sugarcoat...

It's like anything else in life...some are gonna' like him and some are gonna' hate him.  When I cited all the former Jets players who raved about Rex and said the Jets should keep him, the reply was "they have no idea, they never played for him" but of course when it's' somebody who agrees, then it's credible.

Not being critical...I get that it's human nature.  Every one of us does it...if somebody agrees with our perspective then they're the subject matter expert.  If they disagree...well then they're just stupid.

I <3 Klacko but holy sh*t man, this is soooo ******* stupid.

Under Rex; Sheldon, Mo and Snacks all became premier players in the league.  Revis and Cro, had career years.  Pace?  Career year.  DeVito? Pouha? Career years.  The list goes on.  

I hope he's right and that Mr. Disciplinary Head Coach makes them a little better but come'on, how much better can they get?  These guys are already really ******* good. 

Under Rex; Sheldon, Mo and Snacks all became premier players in the league.  Revis and Cro, had career years.  Pace?  Career year.  DeVito? Pouha? Career years.  The list goes on.  

I hope he's right and that Mr. Disciplinary Head Coach makes them a little better but come'on, how much better can they get?  These guys are already really ******* good. 

They'll be even better this year no matter who the coach is.  QB's  will actually have to wait a few seconds for somebody to get open.  I can't wait to see this defense in action.

So Wilkerson is going to be better because Bowles > Rex + Dunbar? Even you admitted the defensive line excelled under him. If Wilkerson does any better, particularly showing more motor it is because it is a contract year.

Take it up with Klecko, rabble rouser.

They'll be even better this year no matter who the coach is.  QB's  will actually have to wait a few seconds for somebody to get open.  I can't wait to see this defense in action.

Well, yeah.  They've got corners now that will give them the extra second they didnt have last year...but acting like removing Rex and adding Bowles is going to make these already great players, 10x better, like he's implying...is stupid.  Bottom line.  No matter what you opinions of Rex Ryan are...its just dumb.  These guys would be monsters no matter who's coaching them. 

Well, yeah. They've got corners now that will give them the extra second they didnt have last year...but acting like removing Rex and adding Bowles is going to make these already great players, 10x better, like he's implying...is stupid. Bottom line. No matter what you opinions of Rex Ryan are...its just dumb. These guys would be monsters no matter who's coaching them.

You're making the Smashmouth coaches-don't-matter argument and now all things are aligned.

Well, yeah.  They've got corners now that will give them the extra second they didnt have last year...but acting like removing Rex and adding Bowles is going to make these already great players, 10x better, like he's implying...is stupid.  Bottom line.  No matter what you opinions of Rex Ryan are...its just dumb.  These guys would be monsters no matter who's coaching them. 

Agreed...they're great players who will play at a higher level since the defense as a whole is much improved.

You're making the Smashmouth coaches-don't-matter argument and now all things are aligned.

Huh?  No.  I'm saying these guys were top 3 players at their positions under Rex Ryan, how much better can they get?

Bowles might be the reason the D improves, probably has more to do with the corners but maybe his ways make them better.  

Spin it how you want, cutie, that wasnt my point.

It's like anything else in life...some are gonna' like him and some are gonna' hate him.  When I cited all the former Jets players who raved about Rex and said the Jets should keep him, the reply was "they have no idea, they never played for him" but of course when it's' somebody who agrees, then it's credible.

Not being critical...I get that it's human nature.  Every one of us does it...if somebody agrees with our perspective then they're the subject matter expert.  If they disagree...well then they're just stupid.

What the **** are you talking about? I just gave the guy credit for not flip-flopping.

What the **** are you talking about? I just gave the guy credit for not flip-flopping.

Took an unemotional grown-up approach...my bad.

Sheldon and Mo were both 1st round picks, they didn't "become" anything but what they already were. Snacks became Snacks when he got to play in between the two of them. 

The player that saw the biggest uptick in value when Rex was here was Revis. Hands-down. Rex really didn't "make" the DL. I do believe he made Revis, but recognizing how to employ him, and having the balls to do it. 

Sheldon and Mo were both 1st round picks, they didn't "become" anything but what they already were. Snacks became Snacks when he got to play in between the two of them. 

The player that saw the biggest uptick in value when Rex was here was Revis. Hands-down. Rex really didn't "make" the DL. I do believe he made Revis, but recognizing how to employ him, and having the balls to do it. 

well lets see. If the jets arnt a top 3 defense this year id say Rex did a pretty good job then

Took an unemotional grown-up approach...my bad.

Approach to what? I was making a comment about Joe Klecko being a straight-shooter. It had nothing to do with Rex agendas, which is where you took off with it.

Klecko is awesome. I don't care what he thought of Rex. I just care that he didn't change his tune, he never changes his tune. He's a standup guy, imo.

well lets see. If the jets arnt a top 3 defense this year id say Rex did a pretty good job then

This has nothing to do with what JIF or I were talking about, which was how did Rex elevate the play of individuals on the team. 

This has nothing to do with what JIF or I were talking about, which was how did Rex elevate the play of individuals on the team. 

why not? If wilkerson doesnt look like wilkerson or richardson regresses they wont have as good as a D as we think this year

If we take everyone playing for rex last year and add who we have this year it looks like a scary D. If for whatever reason Rex made those players the jets D will not be as good as I think they will

Approach to what? I was making a comment about Joe Klecko being a straight-shooter. It had nothing to do with Rex agendas, which is where you took off with it.

Klecko is awesome. I don't care what he thought of Rex. I just care that he didn't change his tune, he never changes his tune. He's a standup guy, imo.

Just re-read what I posted...didn't see anything about any agendas.  I talked about human nature and how people will gravitate towards people will similar views.  Didn't say anyone was right or anyone was wrong....simply an observation on people's tendencies to place more value on opinions similar with their own.  I was very sure to say that every one of us does it as to avoid anyone saying I was being critical.

Either way man...Jets got better yesterday so I'm happy...have a good one.

Rex invented the defensive line you guys, okay? Nobody else can be good at it, okay?

Without Rex there the last 6 years nothing positive would have happened at all damnittt!!! (Waving Rex pennant)

why not? If wilkerson doesnt look like wilkerson or richardson regresses they wont have as good as a D as we think this year

If we take everyone playing for rex last year and add who we have this year it looks like a scary D. If for whatever reason Rex made those players the jets D will not be as good as I think they will

bad logic is bad

i can't... 

When Rex had this kind of talent here we were #1 defense. Rex has a longer track record as being a top DC then Bowles.. Bowles sucked in Philly.  Don't know why we now need to pretend Rex can't coach D

bad logic is bad

i can't... 

man i just took an exam my brains fried.

But still if the players dont play like they did under rex itll obviouslly show he "made" them and they didnt just show up outof the first round as studs

^ CTM got what I was attempting to say really

man i just took an exam my brains fried.

But still if the players dont play like they did under rex itll obviouslly show he "made" them and they didnt just show up outof the first round as studs

^ CTM got what I was attempting to say really

CTM is also a troll that would love to see us argue for 5 more pages.

When Rex had this kind of talent here we were #1 defense. Rex has a longer track record as being a top DC then Bowles.. Bowles sucked in Philly.  Don't know why we now need to pretend Rex can't coach D

rex needed to go but it is funny now guys saying he cant coach D-he is light years ahead of Bowles when it comes to coaching D-I just hope Bowled will be a complete coach and not ignore the offense

Archived