Klecko: Wilkerson will be a different player under Todd Bowles; Rex like father who let you do anything

Lizard King

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rex needed to go but it is funny now guys saying he cant coach D-he is light years ahead of Bowles when it comes to coaching D-I just hope Bowled will be a complete coach and not ignore the offense

I don't think anyone is saying Rex can't coach D. I think mostly you're seeing the natural exaggerated counterpoints to the exaggerated remarks like the bold.

I say it all the time, people need polarization. So they can pick a camp, squat, and say dumb things. Both of these guys can be very good defensive coaches... in fact, both have proven they can be.

Rex has proven he can have a dominant defense when it's loaded with talent in Baltimore and his first few years here. He'lll prove it again in Buffalo. He also proved that without talented players he's still pretty good, this past season.

Bowles has proven with the Cardinals that he can put a good/great defense on the field too, with and without great players. 

If we were arguing over which of them is the better defensive coordinator, I might argue it's a push, with Rex edging out Bowles because of years of experience. 

We're not. We're talking about head coaches. So yeah... once again, Rex's limitations as a head coach frame the argument exclusively around defensive accomplishments. 

I don't think anyone is saying Rex can't coach D. I think mostly you're seeing the natural exaggerated counterpoints to the exaggerated remarks like the bold.

I say it all the time, people need polarization. So they can pick a camp, squat, and say dumb things. Both of these guys can be very good defensive coaches... in fact, both have proven they can be.

Rex has proven he can have a dominant defense when it's loaded with talent in Baltimore and his first few years here. He'lll prove it again in Buffalo. He also proved that without talented players he's still pretty good, this past season.

Bowles has proven with the Cardinals that he can put a good/great defense on the field too, with and without great players. 

If we were arguing over which of them is the better defensive coordinator, I might argue it's a push, with Rex edging out Bowles because of years of experience. 

We're not. We're talking about head coaches. So yeah... once again, Rex's limitations as a head coach frame the argument exclusively around defensive accomplishments. 

1) Bowles has actually fielded a terrible defense

2) The title of this thread and the main point of is that Bowles will get a lot more out of Wilk then Rex did. So that is comparison people are responding to.

We all know Rex has liabilities as a HC, and we're hoping Bowles is significantly better in those areas. But i see exactly 0 reason to suggest he's going to get more our of the defense then Rex

2) The title of this thread and the main point of is that Bowles will get a lot more out of Wilk then Rex did. So that is comparison people are responding to.

We all know Rex has liabilities as a HC, and we're hoping Bowles is significantly better in those areas. But i see exactly 0 reason to suggest he's going to get more our of the defense then Rex

That is shooting pretty low. The defense had fewest turnovers in NFL history over the last 2 years. 

+1000

rex was great in baltimore had a few great defensive units here too

Bowles ran one of the worst defenses around

in his second stint he had a good but not great d

I hope he is a much better overall coach than rex but rex > bowles and it is not close 

For the first five years that Rex was here, the defense consistently got worse. Despite adding first round picks to that side of the ball every single year. And last year's "6th ranked defense" sucked. Think it produced the least amount of turnovers in the team history. He's a joke of a head coach, and completely overrated as a defensive coach.

The Philly defense? He was the secondary coach... are we now putting the failings of a complete defense on secondary coaches, not the coordinator, not the head coach, not the players? LOL

I said he proved it with the Cardinals specifically, wherein they were great with the studs, and without them as they dropped like flies. Numb nuts.

Rex can coach D but as a HC he was not good. Bowles has never been a HC but we will see whether his cool demeanor translates well to HC. He wont take sh*t like Rex did and it appears Bowles won't hesitate to pull a player if he is playing poorly. I guess we will see. 

LL

Rex is not going to like this.

Klecko just made the list.

I know the Rex apologist will now say "what ever did that over rated Klecko ever do for the Jets!  That 'former player' just wants to get his name in lights like Namath and that other rookie running his mouth!!"

It is actually funny :)

But with that aside Kelcko is right on point.  

The Philly defense? He was the secondary coach... are we now putting the failings of a complete defense on secondary coaches, not the coordinator, not the head coach, not the players? LOL

I said he proved it with the Cardinals specifically, wherein they were great with the studs, and without them as they dropped like flies. Numb nuts.

Castillo was fired after week 6 and Bowles promoted. They were 3-3 and went 1-9 down the stretch and the defense was the main culprit. Numb Nuts

Castillo was fired after week 6 and Bowles promoted. They were 3-3 and went 1-9 down the stretch and the defense was the main culprit. Numb Nuts

I know that, that is why I put my remark in the context of THE CARDINALS. Would you like that spelled out in binary, you hemp man purse toting sh*t stain?

That whole Philly situation was a ******* debacle, and based on his time in Arizona and Miami looks to be an anomaly. 

I know that, that is why I put my remark in the context of THE CARDINALS. Would you like that spelled out in binary, you hemp man purse toting sh*t stain?

That whole Philly situation was a ******* debacle, and based on his time in Arizona and Miami looks to be an anomaly. 

he was never DC in Miami. And 2 good years in Az makes 75% of 1 year an anomaly in Miami? Are you familiar with that term at all?

Andy Reid was the main culprit. That he first tried Juan Castillo (offensive line coach) as the D Coordinator to start the year was a joke. Who is supposed to be able to clean up that mess?

Andy Reid was the main culprit. That he first tried Juan Castillo (offensive line coach) as the D Coordinator to start the year was a joke. Who is supposed to be able to clean up that mess?

Well clearly is was an anomaly, Bowles went on to set a standard with 2 good years in Az. 2!!

So Wilkerson is going to be better because Bowles > Rex + Dunbar?  Even you admitted the defensive line excelled under him.  If Wilkerson does any better, particularly showing more motor it is because it is a contract year.

I think it will be a combination of both.  He can play exactly like he did last year, just stay healthy and is guaranteed a major payday.  I think Bowles can help him take his game to another level.  

I know the Rex apologist will now say "what ever did that over rated Klecko ever do for the Jets! That 'former player' just wants to get his name in lights like Namath and that other rookie running his mouth!!"

I think you are the only person on planet earth who would think, suggest, and type this...on planet earth

Not sure your agenda here (other than to goad ape as a fool-c'mon try something harder), but the Philly debacle was mainly Andy Reid's mess. 

My agenda is to disagree with the opinion in the OP. I don't believe it's a given (or even likely) that our defensive players magically get better because Bowles is a better defensive coach then Rex.

The defense will get better, a lot better, because we added about 80M in salary and a high draft pick to it

When Rex had this kind of talent here we were #1 defense. Rex has a longer track record as being a top DC then Bowles.. Bowles sucked in Philly.  Don't know why we now need to pretend Rex can't coach D

Rex is now in Buffalo. Why does anyone give a sh*t about his coaching except when he plays against us?  Bowles is our head coach now; can we just focus on what he is going to do on defense and move on?   What Rex did or could do is totally irrelevant at this point. 

I think it will be a combination of both.  He can play exactly like he did last year, just stay healthy and is guaranteed a major payday.  I think Bowles can help him take his game to another level.  

Why?  For all his faults, Ryan was acknowledged (even by serial hater T0mShane) as great with the defensive line and players have consistently done better under Dunbar than others.

My agenda is to disagree with the opinion in the OP. I don't believe it's a given (or even likely) that our defensive players magically get better because Bowles is a better defensive coach then Rex.

The defense will get better, a lot better, because we added about 80M in salary and a high draft pick to it

2 things Rex's defenses were poor at, regardless talent:

-Forcing turnovers

-Disguising blitzes.

I hope Bowles improves those aspects.

Why?  For all his faults, Ryan was acknowledged (even by serial hater T0mShane) as great with the defensive line and players have consistently done better under Dunbar than others.

The truth is Rex maybe the best DC in the NFL, and has been for quite awhile, he is that good...

Because I think he will push him to get better and not rest on his laurels.  Wilkerson can play better; he has not reached his ceiling and unlike Rex, I don't think Bowles is gonna give him a cookie every time he makes a tackle or constantly sing his praises to the media.  I can see more a "Parcells-like"  Tough Love approach.

I also think he will attempt to devise plays that will high-light his abilities.  That is one of Bowles strong points. Of course if you add in the fact that he will be lining up next to Williams, he may see less double teams and have a chance to make even more plays.   Again this is just my opinion so please no body have a cow, lol. 

Rex is now in Buffalo. Why does anyone give a sh*t about his coaching except when he plays against us?  Bowles is our head coach now; can we just focus on what he is going to do on defense and move on?   What Rex did or could do is totally irrelevant at this point. 

Then go talk to the OP scrappy

-Forcing turnovers

-Disguising blitzes.

Rex was poor at disguising blitzes in 09?

In any event, Rex was a buffoon and I'm glad he's gone. I like what I've seen so far with this new crew, not the least of which is beefing up the secondary

-Forcing turnovers

-Disguising blitzes.

Do either of those items signal an improvement or even a change in Wilkerson?

Rex was poor at disguising blitzes in 09?

In any event, Rex was a buffoon and I'm glad he's gone. I like what I've seen so far with this new crew, not the least of which is beefing up the secondary

I actually don't think all of those blitzes were meant to be disguised.  I think that there were times they loaded up certain sides and set up coverage to force throws to certain spots.  An obvious example was the Dez Bryant - Revis pick in 2011. That was the way that Ryan tried to get turnovers.  The CBs generally don't get as many picks playing man because they can't see the QB or the throw until late and the Jets have been using/had box safeties.  Gilchrist is the guy we will be crossing our fingers for.  There were quite a few dialed up INTs that were dropped, but it really is not a sustainable method for getting tons of picks.

he was never DC in Miami. And 2 good years in Az makes 75% of 1 year an anomaly in Miami? Are you familiar with that term at all?

No, he was secondary coach and the interim head coach in Miami and the defense was good in the limited capacity he could influence it.

I said Philly was the anomaly. 

In Philly, they finished with the 9th best def. versus the pass and 23rd versus the run. The problems in Philly that year went well beyond Bowles impact on the defense, it had more to do with the front office, the roster bottoming out, and starting the season with Castillo as DC. Statistically, Bowles had the defense stabilized, despite that time losing a ton of games. 

One could also make the argument that the offense was an equal culprit, given that the Eagles offense scored over 24 points only ONCE in that 10 game stretch that Bowles was DC.

Why don't you say something true or accurate next and make it harder to stuff back in your deranged face.?

This, I agree with.

You normally say smart things, in the context of this being a football site filled with hamburger brained dopes, so I guess the other nonsense about Bowles is the anomaly, eh?

100% this

No, he was secondary coach and the interim head coach in Miami and the defense was good in the limited capacity he could influence it.

I said Philly was the anomaly. 

In Philly, they finished with the 9th best def. versus the pass and 23rd versus the run. The problems in Philly that year went well beyond Bowles impact on the defense, it had more to do with the front office, the roster bottoming out, and starting the season with Castillo as DC. Statistically, Bowles had the defense stabilized, despite that time losing a ton of games. 

One could also make the argument that the offense was an equal culprit, given that the Eagles offense scored over 24 points only ONCE in that 10 game stretch that Bowles was DC.

Why don't you say something true or accurate next and make it harder to stuff back in your deranged face.?

Philly had the 26th ranked defense after being 11 the year prior. Don't know what you are talking about my slope headed friend.

The guy has had 2 years + 10 games as a DC (3 seasons). He was very good for 2 years and bad for 1 year. There is no standard he's set, thus there can be no anomaly. 

I actually don't think all of those blitzes were meant to be disguised.  I think that there were times they loaded up certain sides and set up coverage to force throws to certain spots.  An obvious example was the Dez Bryant - Revis pick in 2011. That was the way that Ryan tried to get turnovers.  The CBs generally don't get as many picks playing man because they can't see the QB or the throw until late and the Jets have been using/had box safeties.  Gilchrist is the guy we will be crossing our fingers for.  There were quite a few dialed up INTs that were dropped, but it really is not a sustainable method for getting tons of picks.

For sure, Rex schemed to force people to throw towards Revis. It's what made the 2009 defense so good

Archived