Randy Gregory off-field Issues Worse Than Advertised?

AFJF

Heard an analyst on sports radio this morning discussing Gregory and he said something I hadn't heard before. Paraphrasing of course, but basically along the lines of...."It's not the stuff we know about Randy Gregory that's hurting him but the stuff we don't know about.  During his interviews, teams said 'hey, we know about the stuff you've done, is there anything else?' and he just opened up and told them everything...kept going and going about his history.  Teams were eventually saying 'okay Randy, that's enough, you can stop now'.

Crazy to think the Jets could have a shot at two top-10 talents but obviously  no idea about the skeleton's in the closet.

What are the issues?  I thought it was that he failed a drug test.  Which didnt stop the Broncos from trading up for someone who literally got arrested this week for the same drug.

Nobody cares about weed.  So I'm curious to know what else there is? 

What are the issues?  I thought it was that he failed a drug test.  Which didnt stop the Broncos from trading up for someone who literally got arrested this week for the same drug.

Exactly....he was considered a top-10 pick early on.  Elite QB's, CB's and pass rushers don'd drop like this unless there's a good reason for it. 

I already posted this in another thread so don't know if it helps or not but...

Something Weird Is Going On With Randy Gregory

By every account Nebraska pass rusher Randy Gregory is an NFL talent, and based on football skills alone, deserves to go early in tomorrow’s first round. But reports citing multiple scouts and team executives indicate he’s rapidly sliding down draft boards, with some teams prepared to pass on him altogether. The strange part is that no one will say exactly why.

Gregory has failed a few tests for marijuana, most recently at the combine. He’s also slightly undersized to play defensive end, which is where he likely projects (he did play a lot of linebacker in college). But apparently, there’s more than that.

Today comes a very odd report from NFL.com on Gregory, and on teams worries about what they might get from him. Pay very close attention to the wording throughout, because it’s maddeningly nonspecific and just begging you to read between the lines. 

[A]ccording to more than a dozen coaches, scouts, personnel chiefs and GMs, there is concern about Gregory’s ability to handle the mental rigors of professional football. And just how far he drops in this week’s draft will likely hinge on the individual psychological profiles (and the results of related testing) put together by each team, according to multiple veteran evaluators.

[...]

One opinion that’s common among the evaluators who’ve delved deep into Gregory’s past — he’s not a bad kid. He comes from a solid background. He’s well-meaning.

But there’s more to sort through.

“At some point, the risk meets the reward, especially at the bottom of the (first) round — those are good teams,” said an area scout for one team, assigned to Nebraska. “They miss, it’s not a big deal. But the top 20 picks of each round, it’s tough. He’s either gonna be a good player or he’s not gonna be in the NFL. He comes from a good home, he’s a smart kid.

“How do you wanna deal with it?” the scout continued. “Do you wanna work with him? Can you do the off-the-field stuff to manage it?”

The concern is that, through no fault of his own, Gregory’s problems might be manageable, but not fixable, which makes his landing in the right environment (as the scout alluded to) vital.

What is this “off-the-field stuff” that could torpedo Gregory’s NFL career? Why do scouts and the NFL.com reporters repeatedly go out of their way to emphasize that these problems are “no fault of his own?” Mike Florio’s baffled, and damned if this report—and others referring to Gregory’s “other issues”—isn’t specifically obfuscating the actual issue at hand.

The caution may stem from potential medical privacy issues, as well as workplace discrimination laws. There are rumors, confined to social media and message boards, that Gregory may suffer from depression and/or anxiety. (He himself has said he first started smoking marijuana to deal with anxiety, though it’s not clear if he was using the term in its clinical sense.)

It’s not clear whether the teams are reacting to the rumors, or whether they’re acting on information that’s behind the rumors, but it would absolutely explain this weird pre-draft farrago. As much as the players have collectively bargained away medical privacy, no team or reporter would want to speak publicly about a kid’s mental health status—or admit that they’d deny him employment because of it. At the same time, it would be a very real concern for teams gambling a first-round pick. Just ask the Houston Rockets, who took Royce White 16th overall, knowing his struggles with obsessive-compulsive disorder and anxiety disorder, and never got a single game from him.

If there’s truth to this, it’s telling that the NFL doesn’t have the vocabulary to differentiate mental health from “mental toughness.” It’s a cold business, and anything that gets in the way of an athlete’s ability to stay on the field will necessarily take precedence.

I already posted this in another thread so don't know if it helps or not but...

Something Weird Is Going On With Randy Gregory

By every account Nebraska pass rusher Randy Gregory is an NFL talent, and based on football skills alone, deserves to go early in tomorrow’s first round. But reports citing multiple scouts and team executives indicate he’s rapidly sliding down draft boards, with some teams prepared to pass on him altogether. The strange part is that no one will say exactly why.

Gregory has failed a few tests for marijuana, most recently at the combine. He’s also slightly undersized to play defensive end, which is where he likely projects (he did play a lot of linebacker in college). But apparently, there’s more than that.

Today comes a very odd report from NFL.com on Gregory, and on teams worries about what they might get from him. Pay very close attention to the wording throughout, because it’s maddeningly nonspecific and just begging you to read between the lines. 

[A]ccording to more than a dozen coaches, scouts, personnel chiefs and GMs, there is concern about Gregory’s ability to handle the mental rigors of professional football. And just how far he drops in this week’s draft will likely hinge on the individual psychological profiles (and the results of related testing) put together by each team, according to multiple veteran evaluators.

[...]

One opinion that’s common among the evaluators who’ve delved deep into Gregory’s past — he’s not a bad kid. He comes from a solid background. He’s well-meaning.

But there’s more to sort through.

“At some point, the risk meets the reward, especially at the bottom of the (first) round — those are good teams,” said an area scout for one team, assigned to Nebraska. “They miss, it’s not a big deal. But the top 20 picks of each round, it’s tough. He’s either gonna be a good player or he’s not gonna be in the NFL. He comes from a good home, he’s a smart kid.

“How do you wanna deal with it?” the scout continued. “Do you wanna work with him? Can you do the off-the-field stuff to manage it?”

The concern is that, through no fault of his own, Gregory’s problems might be manageable, but not fixable, which makes his landing in the right environment (as the scout alluded to) vital.

What is this “off-the-field stuff” that could torpedo Gregory’s NFL career? Why do scouts and the NFL.com reporters repeatedly go out of their way to emphasize that these problems are “no fault of his own?” Mike Florio’s baffled, and damned if this report—and others referring to Gregory’s “other issues”—isn’t specifically obfuscating the actual issue at hand.

The caution may stem from potential medical privacy issues, as well as workplace discrimination laws. There are rumors, confined to social media and message boards, that Gregory may suffer from depression and/or anxiety. (He himself has said he first started smoking marijuana to deal with anxiety, though it’s not clear if he was using the term in its clinical sense.)

It’s not clear whether the teams are reacting to the rumors, or whether they’re acting on information that’s behind the rumors, but it would absolutely explain this weird pre-draft farrago. As much as the players have collectively bargained away medical privacy, no team or reporter would want to speak publicly about a kid’s mental health status—or admit that they’d deny him employment because of it. At the same time, it would be a very real concern for teams gambling a first-round pick. Just ask the Houston Rockets, who took Royce White 16th overall, knowing his struggles with obsessive-compulsive disorder and anxiety disorder, and never got a single game from him.

If there’s truth to this, it’s telling that the NFL doesn’t have the vocabulary to differentiate mental health from “mental toughness.” It’s a cold business, and anything that gets in the way of an athlete’s ability to stay on the field will necessarily take precedence.

Interesting.  Ricky Williams smoked weed to deal with depression.  He was pretty good. 

What are the issues? I thought it was that he failed a drug test. Which didnt stop the Broncos from trading up for someone who literally got arrested this week for the same drug.

Nobody cares about weed. So I'm curious to know what else there is?

There was a report how multiple scouts were hunting that Gregory may have mental issues. Another issue is his dishonesty.

At this point, getting Gregory at 37, who is a top - 10 talent may be hard to pass up.

I live in a suburb of Denver and while a Jets fan I'll follow what is going on with the Broncos....here's what was in today's local news:

"Ray's value tumbled after he was busted early Monday morning for speeding and possession of less than 35 grams of marijuana."

The Monday right before the draft?....this guy just does NOT get it...

http://www.9news.com/story/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/2015/04/30/broncos-pick-pass-rusher-shane-ray/26679115/

The guy flunked a UA he knew about months in advance and the nfl has random UA's and you guys want this clown?

This from the guy that vigorously defends the immature and entitled punk that is Jameis Winston?

Hypocrisy much? Winston is the clown. Sounds like Gregory suffers from mental illness. I do not want Gregory either but I feel sorry for him. I will revel in Winston's failure.

How is it possible that the thought never crossed his mind, being under the microscope as he is, that the crab photo might not be a good idea? He is going to be a train wreck.

Seriously, I cannot wait for the "I told you so" 3 years down the road when the Bucs are trying to figure out whether to trade or release him.

The Broncos are in Colorado! It's legal there.

Archived