If who was invited for a visit is what matters most, is something like this our board tonight?

Jetsfan80

Under the previous regimes, only players who officially visited with us seemed to get drafted.  I'm not sure how the new regime operates, but of course we know they're 1/1 in that regard.  Based on who visited with us, these are the 10 highest graded players left (of course, we have no way of knowing how the Jets grade them, I'm talking consensus here):

(Source for official visits:  http://walterfootball.com/ProspectMeetings/ByTeam)

1.  Randy Gregory, DE, Nebraska

2.  Eli Harold, OLB, Virginia

3.  Bernardrick McKinney, ILB, Mississippi St.

4.  Nate Orchard, DE/OLB, Utah

5.  Mario Edwards, DE, FSU

6.  Bryce Petty, QB, Baylor

7.  Brett Hundley, QB, UCLA

8.  Josh Shaw, CB, USC

9.  John Miller, G, Louisville

10.  Tyeler Davison, NT, Fresno St

We did not have visits from any of the flashy WR's left or even some of the top offensive linemen.  Perhaps we think we're set in the weaponz department and our signing of G James Carpenter and progression of Oday Aboushi puts us in a good spot in the interior line.  I think those who believe one of those WR's like DGB/Devin Smith or OL like AJ Cann/Donovan Smith will be the pick may be sorely disappointed. 

The smart money on our 2nd round pick would be one of the top 4 I listed above:  One of the 3 pass rushers or an athletic ILB in the form of McKinney.  Those are the final pieces to our defense and they happen to be arguably the BPA's.  Round 3 could come down to one of the QB's, or perhaps we grab G John Miller there to shore up the OL.

The first pick is always a visit. Under Idzik we drafted a bunch of guys off the list further down the line but historically it's pretty hit or miss.

True, but with such an early 2nd round pick, I find it hard to believe our next selection comes from the pool of players we didn't visit with.  The 3rd round would make sense since our list of visits is missing a LOT of highly-ranked prospects.

I'd love Gregory or Harold -

I know we're ignoring the offense again but why not "complete" the defense and have zero weaknesses - a super unit would just be fun.

We spent a 5th and 7th rounder on offense, it brought us Marshall and Fitzpatrick. :)

Joking aside, we do need some offensive love. Hopefully they just keep going BPA to be honest. I like the makeup of this team a lot right now, as is. I think we can win 10 games with some luck (avoiding injuries, etc)

San Diego didn't have a visit with Gordon, I think, then traded up for him.

I don't know that it's a predictor of anything really.

I hope you're right, because I'd love to take a versatile O-lineman like Donovan Smith.

But if they do go with one of those top 4 guys on the board I listed, I get to say I told everyone so!  Win-win!

The first pick is always a visit. Under Idzik we drafted a bunch of guys off the list further down the line but historically it's pretty hit or miss.

You would think they would be less likely to take a guy with character concerns, like DGB or Gregory without having them in for a visit.  It would make sense that you would want as much information on them as you could get.  With some of the higher character guys, they might be more willing to live with combine/pro day  interviews, etc.  Right?

The other ILB wasn't invited?

Nope.  Kind of bizarre but whatevs.

You guys mean Perryman?  I read that a bunch of teams are considering McKinney a good candidate for OLB and specifically reference that as something Bowles would consider.  I think he played outside earlier in his career. 

You guys mean Perryman?  I read that a bunch of teams are considering McKinney a good candidate for OLB and specifically reference that as something Bowles would consider.  I think he played outside earlier in his career. 

I was thinking Kendricks.

Gotcha. Kendricks and Perryman are both kind of short and weigh about 10 lbs less than McKinney. Maybe they don't like them that small? I don't know.

Kendricks was very productive. Maybe he drops to 3rd rd...

Archived