Don't get this Devin Smith pick at all

operaguy

Some people still know about sarcasm, I'm glad.

Great pick. A lot of people were hoping he'd fall to us in round 2 and he did. I don't know if he'll become a Mike Wallace type receiver, or a Maclin/DeSean, whatever. But at the very least he'll be a guy who can create bigplays when you send him deep (if your QB can get him the ball of course). Hopefully with a year or two under his belt he'll become a full time player once Marshall moves to the slot or gets cut.

Just dumb. What is Smith's ceiling? Let's be kind and say slightly better than Decker. Now a lot of people say trade Decker for a 2nd. Okay, let's say that can be done, we trade in and get who? Someone who was available at 37, and options are more limited than what they would be if we picked at 37 since players are coming off the board.

Different Scenario you keep Smith and Decker. You run a spread? What do you do with Kerley? How much better is this receiving core than our West Coast Offense? Still yet to be seen if that would work out with Decker, Marshall, Smith, and Kerley, who are all basically wide receivers. Plus two years down the road let's say you re-sign Decker. You then have to pay Amaro, and then you have to Smith.

Only way this trade makes sense, is if you swing Decker and some pick for Rivers. If that happens, I'll shut up and celebrate. But, I'll believe that when I see it.

You obviously can't blindly pick by need in the draft, but this notion that you have to take the best player available no matter what isn't right either, as proven by this pick.

1st, is this the same post from yesterday but about a different player?

2nd, Smiths ceiling is higher than kerleys, he's faster and taller.

3rd, In our spread there will be 4 receiver sets.

It's a mock thread taking a shot at the thread started about Williams after he was taken. Very well done, if I may add. 

Except the thread about Williams made perfect sense. You don't draft a player 6th overall just so that you can flip a young, proven all-pro talent for a 3rd or future 2nd round pick, which is all they would get for Mo.

What the NFL report says on the guy:-

Guys a burner, we drafted him to blow the lids off D's.

Strengths

Smooth speed merchant with instant gas off the line. Has outstanding body composure and an effortless stride. Electrifying foot quickness. Game-breaking speed with necessary feel of a downfield receiver. Tracks the throw over his shoulder and never breaks stride in the chase. Averaged 28.2 yards per catch and 54.5 percent of his catches were for 25-plus yards in 2014. Used outside and from slot. Must be matched by speed on defense or with safety over the top. Uses shoulder dip from inside release to avoid being redirected by slot corner. Speed creates uncontested targets for him underneath. Can snap off dig routes and open immediately. Good luck giving chase to Smith on a crosser or speed-out in the red zone. Might have been the best gunner in college football.

The guy instantly upgrades our special teams by being a fantastic gunner while he's learning to be an NFL receiver.

Win...win.

Anybody bitching about this pick doesn't know who Wesley Walker is.

Did you read his review.

Instant speed which means you have to use over the top help, which means that Decker, Marshall & Amaro should be able to play pitch & catch underneath.

Love the character guys we're drafting too.

Just dumb. What is Smith's ceiling? Let's be kind and say slightly better than Decker. Now a lot of people say trade Decker for a 2nd. Okay, let's say that can be done, we trade in and get who? Someone who was available at 37, and options are more limited than what they would be if we picked at 37 since players are coming off the board. 

Different Scenario you keep Smith and Decker. You run a spread? What do you do with Kerley? How much better is this receiving core than our West Coast Offense? Still yet to be seen if that would work out with Decker, Marshall, Smith, and Kerley, who are all basically wide receivers. Plus two years down the road let's say you re-sign Decker. You then have to pay Amaro, and then you have to Smith. 

Only way this trade makes sense, is if you swing Decker and some pick for Rivers. If that happens, I'll shut up and celebrate. But, I'll believe that when I see it.

You obviously can't blindly pick by need in the draft, but this notion that you have to take the best player available no matter what isn't right either, as proven by this pick.

Cmon man, get your head out of your a$$, this guy could be the best deep threat we've had since Wesley Walker...He fills ot our WR corp perfectly, nobody's being replaced.

Great pick!

Then what is he? You're telling me that Kerley isnt easily replaceable? 

I could argue he is the best QB on the roster....He is reliable as a WR not excellent but he has good hands and is dependable, he is versatile as you can line him up as a RB and he can throw the ball decently, only non qb on our roster with a TD pass. He may not be worth the contract they gave him but the kid does have talent and uses is used properly, Bowels likes versatile players and if he knows what he has in Kerley we will end up keeping him and if we cut Kerley to save 2M he will wind up somewhere else and people who are saying he is JAG will suddenly be upset with the management for getting rid of the guy.

I could argue he is the best QB on the roster....He is reliable as a WR not excellent but he has good hands and is dependable, he is versatile as you can line him up as a RB and he can throw the ball decently, only non qb on our roster with a TD pass. He may not be worth the contract they gave him but the kid does have talent and uses is used properly, Bowels likes versatile players and if he knows what he has in Kerley we will end up keeping him and if we cut Kerley to save 2M he will wind up somewhere else and people who are saying he is JAG will suddenly be upset with the management for getting rid of the guy.

Im going to assume that you meant "best WR on the roster" and not QB. 

With that said, Jeremy Kerley is not the best WR on this roster, he's far from it. Is he a quality player based on what the Jets have had? Yes. Has he had his moment with this team? Yes. Are there a bunch of WR's in this league that have produced similar numbers? Absolutely. That is why he's considered just a guy. A good guy nonetheless, but Jeremy Kerley is not a WR that keeps a team from drafting a Devin Smith. To assume that in my eyes is a little ridiculous. 

No one is saying to get rid of Kerley, what people are saying is that you draft Devin Smith based on his dimension no matter if you have Kerley on this squad or not. The person who created this thread with the thought that drafting Devin Smith is somehow a waste because of Jeremy Kerley doesnt understand what Devin Smith potentially brings to the table. 

Then you have the other group of people who prefered Jalen Strong, a good WR, but a WR with qualities that we have in both our starting WR's. So my position of Kerley being a JAG is only based on the fact that if Idzik didnt extend him and we went with a Tyler Lockett I wouldnt have cried about it. Adding Devin Smith makes this offense more versatile. Smith plays outside and inside, something that Kerley really cant do. If I heard correctly, a significant amount of Brandon Marshall's snaps last year came with him lining up in the slot. Now we have a guy in Smith who can fill that outside position when we want to move Marshall around. 

Devin Smith is a good pick up, and if people believe different then I can totally respect that, but trust me, neither position has ANYTHING to do with Jeremy Kerley and his ability. Some fans are simply emotional over the guy because he's a fan favorite. I appreciate that the Jets front office arent dealing with emotion but with sound decision making. 

Devin Smith quickly becomes that guy on the offense that can stretch the field and open things up for Decker and Marshall.

This kid can can get open down the field and keep those safeties occupied.  I would imagine in Gailey's spread system he will look to get the ball in his hands on shorter routes as well because he has the ability to take it ti the house when the ball is in his hands.  This was a really good pick up for us.  He is the type of player this offense sorely needed.

What the NFL report says on the guy:-

Guys a burner, we drafted him to blow the lids off D's.

Strengths

Smooth speed merchant with instant gas off the line. Has outstanding body composure and an effortless stride. Electrifying foot quickness. Game-breaking speed with necessary feel of a downfield receiver. Tracks the throw over his shoulder and never breaks stride in the chase. Averaged 28.2 yards per catch and 54.5 percent of his catches were for 25-plus yards in 2014. Used outside and from slot. Must be matched by speed on defense or with safety over the top. Uses shoulder dip from inside release to avoid being redirected by slot corner. Speed creates uncontested targets for him underneath. Can snap off dig routes and open immediately. Good luck giving chase to Smith on a crosser or speed-out in the red zone. Might have been the best gunner in college football.

A burner?

Our next Dedric Ward perhaps?

:winking0001:

McShay says it's one of the best picks from Day 2.

New York JetsDevin Smith, WR, Ohio State (No. 37 overall) 

Smith reminds me of Torrey Smith, but with better ball skills. He was the best deep-ball receiver in college football last season, especially once a big-armed QB took over in Cardale Jones. He has very good top-end speed, route-running savvy and ability to track the deep ball, and he fills a need as a vertical threat alongside Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker.

Those who are questioning this pick, just wait untl this guy gets in a Jets uniform and blowing by defenders and making big plays; you will come around! ;-).  A lot of guys can run fast (Stephen Hill) but few have his ball skills... He was held back by the Ohio State offense.  If he played for Alabama or USC he would a been one of the first receivers taken. 

Im going to assume that you meant "best WR on the roster" and not QB. 

With that said, Jeremy Kerley is not the best WR on this roster, he's far from it. Is he a quality player based on what the Jets have had? Yes. Has he had his moment with this team? Yes. Are there a bunch of WR's in this league that have produced similar numbers? Absolutely. That is why he's considered just a guy. A good guy nonetheless, but Jeremy Kerley is not a WR that keeps a team from drafting a Devin Smith. To assume that in my eyes is a little ridiculous. 

No one is saying to get rid of Kerley, what people are saying is that you draft Devin Smith based on his dimension no matter if you have Kerley on this squad or not. The person who created this thread with the thought that drafting Devin Smith is somehow a waste because of Jeremy Kerley doesnt understand what Devin Smith potentially brings to the table. 

Then you have the other group of people who prefered Jalen Strong, a good WR, but a WR with qualities that we have in both our starting WR's. So my position of Kerley being a JAG is only based on the fact that if Idzik didnt extend him and we went with a Tyler Lockett I wouldnt have cried about it. Adding Devin Smith makes this offense more versatile. Smith plays outside and inside, something that Kerley really cant do. If I heard correctly, a significant amount of Brandon Marshall's snaps last year came with him lining up in the slot. Now we have a guy in Smith who can fill that outside position when we want to move Marshall around. 

Devin Smith is a good pick up, and if people believe different then I can totally respect that, but trust me, neither position has ANYTHING to do with Jeremy Kerley and his ability. Some fans are simply emotional over the guy because he's a fan favorite. I appreciate that the Jets front office arent dealing with emotion but with sound decision making. 

No I meant QB, out of his two passes thrown as a Jet he has 60 yards passing with one TD and 0 Int, Obviously he isn't a QB and it was mostly said jokingly. The point I was trying to make is that he is a bit more than just another guy. I am by no means saying we shouldn't have drafted Devin Smith and I love the pick and think he will end up being a great receiver, I just in my own and honest opinion think Kerley is much better and brings much more to the table than people think he does, No he is not an elite WR and no he never will be. He does however possess skills that the average "just another guy" does not like lining up as a RB and throwing a TD. He may never need to be double covered in his whole NFL career but he is one of those guys that can be a threat to a defense in other ways.

Rip me all you want but Jets would probably be better off with Mo + Kevin White, than Williams and a mid to late 1st next year.

Tbh I would have preferred a Kevin White and Gregory in the first two tds or Whiye and Double O but if Williams has Warren Sapp potential count me in.

Rip me all you want but Jets would probably be better off with Mo + Kevin White, than Williams and a mid to late 1st next year.

Tbh I would have preferred a Kevin White and Gregory in the first two tds or Whiye and Double O but if Williams has Warren Sapp potential count me in.

Thanks for taking the joke in grace, it wasn't meant to be personal :character0069: .

No I meant QB, out of his two passes thrown as a Jet he has 60 yards passing with one TD and 0 Int, Obviously he isn't a QB and it was mostly said jokingly. The point I was trying to make is that he is a bit more than just another guy. I am by no means saying we shouldn't have drafted Devin Smith and I love the pick and think he will end up being a great receiver, I just in my own and honest opinion think Kerley is much better and brings much more to the table than people think he does, No he is not an elite WR and no he never will be. He does however possess skills that the average "just another guy" does not like lining up as a RB and throwing a TD. He may never need to be double covered in his whole NFL career but he is one of those guys that can be a threat to a defense in other ways.

The point you were trying to make was supported by trick/gadget plays.

To your other point, what makes Jeremy Kerley better than Devin Smith? I'd like to know because in a spread offense you need to deep threat on the field and when has Kerley ever been that guy? I dont think that people misunderstand what Kerley brings to the table, I think that people oversell what his capabilities are because he's a favorite amongst fans. There have been plenty of JAG's that have lined up at the RB position or threw a pass based on a play that fooled the defense....not a conventional QB play. 

Jeremy Kerley is consistently average, which is good because at minimum that makes him dependable. But anything beyond that is hyperbole. I've followed the Jets and I've never seen anything worth noting from Kerley as a running back or a quarterback. 

The point you were trying to make was supported by trick/gadget plays.

To your other point, what makes Jeremy Kerley better than Devin Smith? I'd like to know because in a spread offense you need to deep threat on the field and when has Kerley ever been that guy? I dont think that people misunderstand what Kerley brings to the table, I think that people oversell what his capabilities are because he's a favorite amongst fans. There have been plenty of JAG's that have lined up at the RB position or threw a pass based on a play that fooled the defense....not a conventional QB play. 

Jeremy Kerley is consistently average, which is good because at minimum that makes him dependable. But anything beyond that is hyperbole. I've followed the Jets and I've never seen anything worth noting from Kerley as a running back or a quarterback. 

That was never my point, I think Devin Smith is going to be something special (I don't see him as Deshawn Jackson I see him as more of a faster Santonio Holmes but hopefully without the drama).

That was never my point, I think Devin Smith is going to be something special (I don't see him as Deshawn Jackson I see him as more of a faster Santonio Holmes but hopefully without the drama).

Then we're wasting our time here because my position was based on someone thinking that we shouldnt have drafted Smith because of a JAG on our team. 

Glad we cleared that up. lol. 

Then we're wasting our time here because my position was based on someone thinking that we shouldnt have drafted Smith because of a JAG on our team. 

Glad we cleared that up. lol. 

I thought it was about getting rid of Kerley now because we got Smith and saying Kerley was a JAG lol.

Archived