welcome to the JETS, LORENZO MAULDIN!

Blackout

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone have an optimistic account of Mauldin?  I'm inclined to trust BD Macc, but want to read something positive about the guy.

New York Jets: Lorenzo Mauldin, DE/OLB, Louisville: B Grade 

This pick definitely makes sense. The Jets had to find an edge rusher - they were projected to take one at No. 6 overall before Leonard Williams dropped to them - and Lorenzo Mauldin fits the range as a third-round prospect. This is a solid choice."

Kimberley A. Martin ‏@KMart_LI 1m1 minute ago

Maulden's strengths, per Nawrocki: prototype size for a rush LB, matches up well with TEs and has an outstanding fball character #jets

Overview

Selected first-team All-ACC in 2014. Selected to play in the 2015 Senior Bowl. Started all 13 games in 2013 despite being struck by a vehicle while riding his moped to a morning workout in August. Selected second-team All-AAC. In 2012, led team in sacks. Committed to South Carolina out of high school but was a late signee at Louisville. Was told the day before Signing Day that South Carolina no longer had room for him. Lived in 16 different foster homes growing up. Lived in a group home while attending high school.

Pro Day Results

Vertical jump: 31 inches

Broad jump: 9 feet, 2 inches

3-cone drill: 7.26 seconds

60-yard shuttle: 12.62 seconds Analysis

Strengths Confident and tough with high football character. Gives second effort and doesn't quit on plays. Arm over can make tackles look foolish in pass rush. Productive and active against the run. Has good awareness and will get hands in the passing lanes when his rush stalls out. Straight-line burst upfield to quarterback when he has him in sights. Can stick a foot in the ground and change direction quickly to beat tackles inside.

Weaknesses Rigid mover lacking thickness in lower body. Doesn't consistently utilize power in his hands. Plays too upright. Doesn't dip and turn corner as tightly as you would like for a 3-4 edge rusher. Gears down to set up pass-rush moves. Lack of size and leverage could be a problem in the league when taking on run. Draft

Projection Round 3

Sources Tell Us "He'll get pegged as a 3-4 rush 'backer, but a 4-3 team could look at him as a situational pass rusher if he is there late second day." -- AFC area scout

"He overcame a tough childhood and developed a mindset that nothing is going to stop him. He works his butt off and he wants to be great. I'm cheering hard for this kid and I'll bang the table for him when the time is right." -- NFC North scout

NFL Comparison Akeem Ayers

Bottom Line

Known for strong mental makeup, Mauldin is expected to check all of the character boxes, according to scouts. Productive pass rusher with a knack for beating tackles inside. Finds the ball quickly and chases against the run. Very active, productive collegiate player.

Bottom Line

Known for strong mental makeup, Mauldin is expected to check all of the character boxes, according to scouts. Productive pass rusher with a knack for beating tackles inside. Finds the ball quickly and chases against the run. Very active, productive collegiate player.

I'll post here what I posted in another thread about what I think of the kid:

Hearing about how bad Maudlin wants it, how hard he works, and how much effort he puts in on the field, I'm remined of Curtis Martin's Hall of Fame speech. Martin was saying that he wasn't always the strongest or the fastest player on the field, but he simply wanted it more. He built his HoF career on sheer deterination and grit. I believe this kid will do the same.

EDIT: I don't mean to say I think Maudlin is HoF bound, just that he will build his career with the same hard work and determination as Martin.

It'll be interesting to see how they use him. Asking a mediocre athlete to rush the passer is usually not a recipe for success.

Its a measurable versus motor argument with Mauldin.  He's got toughness, drive and desire.  Gholston had none of these but was a superb athlete.  Mauldin will be our starting OLB along with Trevor Reilly (steal last year) in 2016.  And he'll be a locker room leader IMO.

New York Jets Third-Round Pick LB Lorenzo Mauldin, 5.1

On what he thinks his biggest strengths are as a player and how he will fit in to the Jets 3-4 …

As an edge rush guy, I have been working my butt off to do what I have to do to get to the quarterback. I don’t care what I have to do, I take coaching and I take what I have to do to help my defense out. Mainly with the Jets I know…I am at a loss for words right now. I can’t even think right now. I more than welcome being with the Jets. I know that I can help that defense, no matter what.

On whether he had much contact with the Jets leading into the draft…

Actually, no. I’ve talked to them at the combine. I haven’t had any workouts with them, I haven’t met with them other than that. I met with them at the combine.  I had a great visit with them at the combine and they asked me all the personal information. They asked everything about me and I told them everything about me truthfully and honestly and I just gave them my all verbally at the combine.

On what this moment is like, how long he has thought about this, and what his emotions are…

I’ve been thinking about this ever since I was playing Pop Warner football as a wide receiver, like I’m thinking I might be playing wide receiver at the league. My emotions right now, as I told you, I’m speechless. I can’t even think right now, man. I’ve been working my butt off since I can remember, since I can remember. And now that I have a chance to show an NFL team what I got, I’m going to show them what I got and I’m going to show them more than what I’ve got. I’m ready. I’m ready to do this. I’m going to shut up all the critics, I’m going to shut up everybody that have ever doubted me. I’m going to do what I got to do to get where I need to be in the NFL and beyond.  This is my chance. This is my chance to show everybody. This is my chance to show everybody that I can do what I do and I’m going to do it beyond what I can. I’m going to work hard. Work harder than hard, no matter what (anybody) is saying. 

New York Jets Third-Round Pick LB Lorenzo Mauldin, 5.1

On what he thinks his biggest strengths are as a player and how he will fit in to the Jets 3-4 …

As an edge rush guy, I have been working my butt off to do what I have to do to get to the quarterback. I don’t care what I have to do, I take coaching and I take what I have to do to help my defense out. Mainly with the Jets I know…I am at a loss for words right now. I can’t even think right now. I more than welcome being with the Jets. I know that I can help that defense, no matter what.

On whether he had much contact with the Jets leading into the draft…

Actually, no. I’ve talked to them at the combine. I haven’t had any workouts with them, I haven’t met with them other than that. I met with them at the combine.  I had a great visit with them at the combine and they asked me all the personal information. They asked everything about me and I told them everything about me truthfully and honestly and I just gave them my all verbally at the combine.

On what this moment is like, how long he has thought about this, and what his emotions are…

I’ve been thinking about this ever since I was playing Pop Warner football as a wide receiver, like I’m thinking I might be playing wide receiver at the league. My emotions right now, as I told you, I’m speechless. I can’t even think right now, man. I’ve been working my butt off since I can remember, since I can remember. And now that I have a chance to show an NFL team what I got, I’m going to show them what I got and I’m going to show them more than what I’ve got. I’m ready. I’m ready to do this. I’m going to shut up all the critics, I’m going to shut up everybody that have ever doubted me. I’m going to do what I got to do to get where I need to be in the NFL and beyond.  This is my chance. This is my chance to show everybody. This is my chance to show everybody that I can do what I do and I’m going to do it beyond what I can. I’m going to work hard. Work harder than hard, no matter what (anybody) is saying. 

The more I hear from the kid, the more I like the pick. I really hope he becomes a great player.

I hate this pick. 

Frankly, I don't care about him overcoming his life situation.  I care about football.

I do not believe that Maudlin will impact the game greater than a Tevin Coleman or a Duke Johnson - impact RB's that IMO quite literally would have contributed much more to winning games than Maudlin will at OLB (and yes I liked Eli Harold much more).

I feel Maudlin has a very low ceiling and Coleman, Johnson and Harold have much more potential.

I hate the trade down, hate it.  And before taking any heat for it for not being a professional scout, Tony Pauline and Mike Westhoff hate it too.

I hate this pick.

Frankly, I don't care about him overcoming his life situation. I care about football.

I do not believe that Maudlin will impact the game greater than a Tevin Coleman or a Duke Johnson - impact RB's that IMO quite literally would have contributed much more to winning games than Maudlin will at OLB (and yes I liked Eli Harold much more).

I feel Maudlin has a very low ceiling and Coleman, Johnson and Harold have much more potential.

I hate the trade down, hate it. And before taking any heat for it for not being a professional scout, Tony Pauline and Mike Westhoff hate it too.

THE BUMS LOST LEBOWSKI.

I hate this pick.

Frankly, I don't care about him overcoming his life situation. I care about football.

I hate the trade down, hate it. And before taking any heat for it for not being a professional scout, Tony Pauline and Mike Westhoff hate it too.

Ray Lucas absolutely loved it, fwiw. I liked the trade down. A lot of these players in the 3rd, 4th and 5th get grouped together so it makes more sense to get as many picks as you can. What about Harold do you like more than Mauldin out of curiosity.

I hate this pick. 

Frankly, I don't care about him overcoming his life situation.  I care about football.

I hate the trade down, hate it.  And before taking any heat for it for not being a professional scout, Tony Pauline and Mike Westhoff hate it too.

Why did you like Harold more?  I mean do think he would impact the team more than those running backs?  By all the information I have read this guy can play and is just as good if not better than Harold.   What is your basis for saying Maudlin has a low ceiling?  I think his ceiling is very high because in addition to his talent, he also is extremely motivated to get better.  There are still quality backs left tomorrow and we did need an edge rusher.  The trade back netted us two additional picks plus another wide receiver.  

Tony Pauline and Westhoff both sounded like guys who never even heard of the guy lol so I really couldn't care what they thought. Tony kept talking about how we passed over OL as if there won't be any left tomorrow.  Then there was Westhoff talking about Tyler Lockett; a special teams player that we should taken.   I trust that our new coaching staff knows much more about this player than either of those two guys.  

Btw for you to say you don't care about him overcoming his life situation; you come off looking like a real loser.   These players are not robots, and this is not Madden; they are human beings just like you and me.  I love football too but in the end it is just a game, nothing more. Someone who overcome odds like that to become successful, who never gave up regardless of his situation, is a true winner and is the kind of guy I want on my team.   Eli Harold doesn't have ANYTHING on this kid. 

In the 3rd round I want athletes who can be coached up, not feel good stories.  Harold isn't a low character guy either.  I like Harold's measurables a lot more and he was more highly ranked by every scouting service out there.  The Jets probably had him ranked higher too BTW.  The 3rd round is realistically your last round to get a starter (spare me the exception list) - the top 100 picks are SO much more valuable than the throw in 5th or 7th rounders.  We lost out on 2 impact RB's and a tremendous vaue/upside OLB by trading down.  READ THIS report below - kills me that we let this slip out of our hand.  It just reminds me too much of out-thinking ourselves a la Kyle Brady, Boar Hunter, Jaelen Saunders, etc.

ELI HAROLD's scouting report taken from NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/eli-harold?id=2552494 Bottom Line

Explosive, leggy outside linebacker who has surprising strength at the point of attack, and the hands and length to become an outstanding edge-setter. Harold's burst upfield to threaten the edge is pro caliber and his ability to bend the corner at a 45-degree angle creates potential for him to become a quality pass rusher from either outside linebacker spot in a 3-4.

Archived