welcome to the JETS, LORENZO MAULDIN!

Blackout

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this pick.  They found someone who can edge rush on passing downs from day 1, and can learn under Calvin Pace how to play 1st and 2nd down to eventually inherit that role from him.  This team needed an edge rusher and Maccagnan got us one here.

He's got the prototypical big physical stature that you want out of an OLB/edge guy in the 3-4.  Arms are just average length but he more than makes up for that with his solid motor.  He has very good pass rush skills.  Also good against the run inside the box, and better containing the edge than people give him credit for.

Yes, his lateral agility needs improvement and he isn't quite ready to play "out in space" yet, but you could say that about Fowler too.  Keep in mind this guy has only been playing OLB one year.  Get him some ballet lessons and he could be a solid OLB/edge rusher in this league.  I love that he appears to be of solid character too.

I hate this pick. 

Frankly, I don't care about him overcoming his life situation.  I care about football.

I do not believe that Maudlin will impact the game greater than a Tevin Coleman or a Duke Johnson - impact RB's that IMO quite literally would have contributed much more to winning games than Maudlin will at OLB (and yes I liked Eli Harold much more).

I feel Maudlin has a very low ceiling and Coleman, Johnson and Harold have much more potential.

I hate the trade down, hate it.  And before taking any heat for it for not being a professional scout, Tony Pauline and Mike Westhoff hate it too.

so do I.  And that is not meant as a knock on Mauldin.  IMO, several better players were taken between 70 and 82.. players i would have or might have taken.  I wanted Johnson and would have been very happy with Harold, (who also happens to come from a difficult background and made through his mother's death when he was a teen). 

so do I.  And that is not meant as a knock on Mauldin.  IMO, several better players were taken between 70 and 82.. players i would have or might have taken.  I wanted Johnson and would have been very happy with Harold, (who also happens to come from a difficult background and made through his mother's death when he was a teen). 

I too liked Duke Johnson.  But with Ivory, Powell, Ridley already on the roster, it's tough to invest a high pick in a RB.  After the Ridley signing I gave up on the idea of drafting Duke,

Why did you like Harold more?  I mean do think he would impact the team more than those running backs?  By all the information I have read this guy can play and is just as good if not better than Harold.   What is your basis for saying Maudlin has a low ceiling?  I think his ceiling is very high because in addition to his talent, he also is extremely motivated to get better.  There are still quality backs left tomorrow and we did need an edge rusher.  The trade back netted us two additional picks plus another wide receiver.  

Tony Pauline and Westhoff both sounded like guys who never even heard of the guy lol so I really couldn't care what they thought. Tony kept talking about how we passed over OL as if there won't be any left tomorrow.  Then there was Westhoff talking about Tyler Lockett; a special teams player that we should taken.   I trust that our new coaching staff knows much more about this player than either of those two guys.  

Btw for you to say you don't care about him overcoming his life situation; you come off looking like a real loser.   These players are not robots, and this is not Madden; they are human beings just like you and me.  I love football too but in the end it is just a game, nothing more. Someone who overcome odds like that to become successful, who never gave up regardless of his situation, is a true winner and is the kind of guy I want on my team.   Eli Harold doesn't have ANYTHING on this kid. 

Eli Harold also overcame tremendous hardship.  Tremendous character and, like Mauldin, the kind of high character guy you want.  He was rated higher everywhere , but I wanted Duke o ver both of them.  Harold and Duke there at 70 and we don't take one of them?  That's just wrong.  Mac better pick something great in the middle of the 5th round to make me feel better about it. 

Seems like he'll be a productive player, at least on special teams.

I question his ability to make an impact on defense. Third round is too early to spend a pick on a special teamer, even a stand out one.

I hate this pick. 

Frankly, I don't care about him overcoming his life situation.  I care about football.

I do not believe that Maudlin will impact the game greater than a Tevin Coleman or a Duke Johnson - impact RB's that IMO quite literally would have contributed much more to winning games than Maudlin will at OLB (and yes I liked Eli Harold much more).

I feel Maudlin has a very low ceiling and Coleman, Johnson and Harold have much more potential.

I hate the trade down, hate it.  And before taking any heat for it for not being a professional scout, Tony Pauline and Mike Westhoff hate it too.

+ 1.

I hate this pick. 

Tony Pauline vs Macc. Let's see who the better scout/GM is. :screwy:

You can get RB's at any point in the draft, in free agency, from your own practice squad for crying out loud. Unless they're Peterson type difference makers they are not worth being drafted early. You can plug any piece of sh*t RB behind that Cowboys O-Line and he'll put up Pro Bowl type numbers. You can plug any superstar behind the Colts O-Line and he's not gonna do jacksh*t.

We needed an edge rusher, we got one. With Pro Bowl upside. Good luck finding those guys late in the draft.

New York Jets: Lorenzo Mauldin, DE/OLB, Louisville: B Grade 

This pick definitely makes sense. The Jets had to find an edge rusher - they were projected to take one at No. 6 overall before Leonard Williams dropped to them - and Lorenzo Mauldin fits the range as a third-round prospect. This is a solid choice."

Kimberley A. Martin ‏@KMart_LI 1m1 minute ago

Maulden's strengths, per Nawrocki: prototype size for a rush LB, matches up well with TEs and has an outstanding fball character #jets

Overview

Selected first-team All-ACC in 2014. Selected to play in the 2015 Senior Bowl. Started all 13 games in 2013 despite being struck by a vehicle while riding his moped to a morning workout in August. Selected second-team All-AAC. In 2012, led team in sacks. Committed to South Carolina out of high school but was a late signee at Louisville. Was told the day before Signing Day that South Carolina no longer had room for him. Lived in 16 different foster homes growing up. Lived in a group home while attending high school.

Pro Day Results

Vertical jump: 31 inches

Broad jump: 9 feet, 2 inches

3-cone drill: 7.26 seconds

60-yard shuttle: 12.62 seconds Analysis

Strengths Confident and tough with high football character. Gives second effort and doesn't quit on plays. Arm over can make tackles look foolish in pass rush. Productive and active against the run. Has good awareness and will get hands in the passing lanes when his rush stalls out. Straight-line burst upfield to quarterback when he has him in sights. Can stick a foot in the ground and change direction quickly to beat tackles inside.

Weaknesses Rigid mover lacking thickness in lower body. Doesn't consistently utilize power in his hands. Plays too upright. Doesn't dip and turn corner as tightly as you would like for a 3-4 edge rusher. Gears down to set up pass-rush moves. Lack of size and leverage could be a problem in the league when taking on run. Draft

Projection Round 3

Sources Tell Us "He'll get pegged as a 3-4 rush 'backer, but a 4-3 team could look at him as a situational pass rusher if he is there late second day." -- AFC area scout

"He overcame a tough childhood and developed a mindset that nothing is going to stop him. He works his butt off and he wants to be great. I'm cheering hard for this kid and I'll bang the table for him when the time is right." -- NFC North scout

NFL Comparison Akeem Ayers

Bottom Line

Known for strong mental makeup, Mauldin is expected to check all of the character boxes, according to scouts. Productive pass rusher with a knack for beating tackles inside. Finds the ball quickly and chases against the run. Very active, productive collegiate player.

Anybody who rides a moped to morning workouts is ok in my book.  I like this kid. 

The consensus says that he's productive, a hard worker and has good character. My favorite kind of player.

Hard not to like that.  

I agree with Harris to some degree, his story is nice, but irrelevant.  His play is what will matter to the team.

I just don't see, hear or read the big differences between this guy and the guy he wants.  It's not L.T. vs. Al Washington here.

In a conference call with reporters just after he was picked, Mauldin could hardly contain himself. he broke down and cried when asked about his upbringing, crying tears of joy. "This is my chance," he said. "I'm going to show them more than what I've got. I'm going to shut up everybody that has ever doubted me. This is my chance to show everybody. I'm going to work harder than hard, no matter what nobody say."

Harold is probably the pick you make if they are both available but he wasn't available when we picked.  If we really wanted Harold then we would have selected him instead of trading the pick.  Obviously Mac and Co. thought adding a 5th, 7th and a WR was a better option than Harold.   Ever wonder what Jason Babbin does?  He just goes after QB's.  This is our younger version of Babbin.  Line him up and let him loose.  

This kid is a good fit for our defense.  Because we think we are experts around here and think we make better decisions than the guys who get paid millions of dollars to make them doesn't mean we are always right.  

In the 3rd round I want athletes who can be coached up, not feel good stories.  Harold isn't a low character guy either.  I like Harold's measurables a lot more and he was more highly ranked by every scouting service out there.  The Jets probably had him ranked higher too BTW.  The 3rd round is realistically your last round to get a starter (spare me the exception list) - the top 100 picks are SO much more valuable than the throw in 5th or 7th rounders.  We lost out on 2 impact RB's and a tremendous vaue/upside OLB by trading down.  READ THIS report below - kills me that we let this slip out of our hand.  It just reminds me too much of out-thinking ourselves a la Kyle Brady, Boar Hunter, Jaelen Saunders, etc.

ELI HAROLD's scouting report taken from NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/eli-harold?id=2552494 Bottom Line

Explosive, leggy outside linebacker who has surprising strength at the point of attack, and the hands and length to become an outstanding edge-setter. Harold's burst upfield to threaten the edge is pro caliber and his ability to bend the corner at a 45-degree angle creates potential for him to become a quality pass rusher from either outside linebacker spot in a 3-4.

Yet that didn't always translate on the field.  Why do you feel Maudlin is not a superior athlete and can't be coached up?  Are you kidding me?  This guy is HUNGRY!  This guy is a FOOTBALL player with great athleticism and no one can say he didn't give 100% on the field.   He played all over the field and last year he played linebacker so the learning curve for him is smaller than Harolds for that position.   

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/lorenzo-mauldin?id=2552297 Bottom Line

BOTTOM LINE

Known for strong mental makeup, Mauldin is expected to check all of the character boxes, according to scouts. Productive pass rusher with a knack for beating tackles inside. Finds the ball quickly and chases against the run. Very active, productive collegiate player.

I really don't see that much of a difference and the fact that we also netted another receiver and two more picks makes this a WIN-WIN for me. 

Lastly, this is a new Scouting Staff so why not give them the benefit of the doubt?  They have NOTHING to do with our past draft faux pas.  The Boar Hunter.... SMDH. 

He ran a 4.8 otherwise he would be a much higher prospect.

I think I read he may have been recovering from some injury.  One thing is for sure, he plays a lot faster than that and that is what really matters. 

Yet that didn't always translate on the field. Why do you feel Maudlin is not a superior athlete and can't be coached up? Are you kidding me? This guy is HUNGRY! This guy is a FOOTBALL player with great athleticism and no one can say he didn't give 100% on the field. He played all over the field and last year he played linebacker so the learning curve for him is smaller than Harolds for that position.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/lorenzo-mauldin?id=2552297 Bottom Line BOTTOM LINE

I really don't see that much of a difference and the fact that we also netted another receiver and two more picks makes this a WIN-WIN for me.

Lastly, this is a new Scouting Staff so why not give them the benefit of the doubt? They have NOTHING to do with our past draft faux pas. The Boar Hunter.... SMDH.

To be fair though the Jets are especially weak at boar hunter this year.

I drafted Mauldin in jetnation draft for Detroit so were kinda the same. We're both like-minded geniuses. Just saying.

Did he miss any picks cuz his kids were a pain in the ass? If yes.....scary similarities. The team should PM me and ask who I have on my board cuz I like to pretend I have a board and stuff.

Genius draft, Big Mac. Call me.

I drafted Mauldin in jetnation draft for Detroit so were kinda the same. We're both like-minded geniuses. Just saying.

Did he miss any picks cuz his kids were a pain in the ass? If yes.....scary similarities. The team should PM me and ask who I have on my board cuz I like to pretend I have a board and stuff.

Genius draft, Big Mac. Call me.

I drafted Maudlin in the 3rd round of the JN draft for the Cardinals.

So I'm guessing you like this pick too?

I do.  You're not getting some hidden gem who's going to end up leading the league in sacks but you're getting a guy who can do everything well.  He's not an incredible athlete which is why he's a 3rd round pick but the guy is a solid Football player who could end up being a solid starter in the league for a long time.  What I like about him is, I think he fits the scheme well, which is why I had the Cardinals taking him too.  He rushes up the middle well.  Which is where the Jets are going to have a lot of luck now that they've added Williams.

He kind of reminds me of that kid from the Cardinals, Alex Okafor who had 8 sacks in Bowles D last year.  Maybe on the higher side, Lamarr Woodley.

I think I read he may have been recovering from some injury.  One thing is for sure, he plays a lot faster than that and that is what really matters. 

40 times for OLBs is just dumb. Polian says that it is a relative thing and a gating thing at certain positions in terms of translating to actual game quickness but Brandt yesterday said that he plays super fast, and non stop. 100% effort from a 4.8 guy with good technique, is game faster than 85% from a 4.5 guy. Bowles said he plays like a 4.6 guy but with superior techniique, so he will not be an elite speed rusher, but he could be an extremely effective and productive rusher. Brandt said he acually outplayed Beasley last year. 

The following statement from Mauldin kinda shows the Jets were hoping to have another player there @ 82. This was a fallback pick. I'm OK with that. They took a gamble & it didn't work out... they still got a good player with a GREAT work ethic at a position of need AND got back their 5th rd. pick back, a 7th and maybe a ST player.

On whether he had much contact with the Jets leading into the draft…

"Actually, no. I’ve talked to them at the combine. I haven’t had any workouts with them, I haven’t met with them other than that. I met with them at the combine.  I had a great visit with them at the combine and they asked me all the personal information. They asked everything about me and I told them everything about me truthfully and honestly and I just gave them my all verbally at the combine."

Love the Williams / Smith picks.... I'm willing to give MacDaddy some love for getting the extra pick and a good player.

Now let's get a quality OL and RB with these next 2 picks and hope for the best with the three 7th rd. picks.

40 times for OLBs is just dumb. Polian says that it is a relative thing and a gating thing at certain positions in terms of translating to actual game quickness but Brandt yesterday said that he plays super fast, and non stop. 100% effort from a 4.8 guy with good technique, is game faster than 85% from a 4.5 guy. Bowles said he plays like a 4.6 guy but with superior techniique, so he will not be an elite speed rusher, but he could be an extremely effective and productive rusher. Brandt said he acually outplayed Beasley last year. 

Great info!! Thanks for sharing.

Archived