the trade down

Dcat

the round 3 trade down broke my heart. Duke Johnson and Eli Harold were there at 70 and both taken before 82.  Just horrible. Mauldin better be worth it.  Having Duke and Harold available at 70 was gold AFAIC.  I guess they weren't as high on Macs board as I had hoped.  IMO pick 152 isn't worth losing the chance to draft Harold or Johnson.  They should have ran to the podium at 70. No knock on Mauldin here.  He's traveled down a very hard road to get where he is.  And now he's a Jet and I'll be rooting for him.  

But damn.   

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't agree more.

And I think (I'm very much reading bt the lines here) Mac has hinted twice that he missed on this trade both in his presser with Bowles after Day 2 as well as with his interview at Florham Park in the dome - essentially saying it's educated guessing when you trade down and sometimes the guys you hoped for get taken 2-3 picks ahead of you.

Pick #152 is worthless, we really could've gotten an impact STARTER in the 3rd round today but Mac got too cute IMO.

I will forever compare Mauldin to Eli Harold and Tevin Coleman's impact (Duke Johnson too who would've been a PERFECT complement to Ivory.

I'm not gonna pretend to know who was better than who, but I like the kid the Jets got. Smart, driven, relentless, and tough. I really liked that Eli dude heading into last night, but he dropped a lot. Historically, the guys who drop usually drop for a reason. If the team lands Jay Ajayi in the fourth, I think that would right a lot of wrongs. Very possible that fifth rounder could be used on Hundley or Petty (and I wonder if any perceived Mac remorse has to do with the two QBs taken between where he was and where he traded down to).

With three 7th rounders, he can use one or more to move his last two picks up if there's someone he's got to have, and the WR they picked up in the trade is a former third rounder who'll compete with Idzik's picks.

I'm still honeymooning, let's see how it plays out.

just because your high on a kid doesn't mean the jets are .. jets probably had no interest in Duke johnson 

Mouldin 

New York Jets 3-4 OLB Lorenzo Mauldin had a Pass Rushing Productivity Rating of 12.1 v Power 5 Opponents, 4th best in this class

Eli Harold

New 49ers OLB Eli Harold had the 9th highest pass rushing grade of all draft eligible 3-4 OLBs in 2014

according to PFF Mouldin had better Pass rushing Grade than Harold

I hope the Trade Down crowd is happy..

Moving down 12 spaces when there's so much value on the board - to pick up a 5th and 7th

and  just doesn't make a lot of sense.  Seems to me like Mac got fleeced or as many said got a little cocky....

Maybe he learns a lesson here.

Last time we got an unathletic LB in the 3rd round was the Boar Hunter. That turned out well.

But at the time everyone wanted the guy who went to the Eagles after the trade down... and he did even less than Boar Hunter as I recall.

Last time we got an unathletic LB in the 3rd round was the Boar Hunter. That turned out well.

terrible comparison Mouldin is a way better Athlete than Schlegal ever was..

Mouldin-4.85 40, 32 Vert, 23 Reps of 225

Suggs 4.84 40 ,33 Vert, 19 Reps of 225

Hali 4.87 40, 30 vert, 18 reps of 225,

Would you call Terrell Suggs and Tomba hali  Unathletic?

I hope the Trade Down crowd is happy..

Moving down 12 spaces when there's so much value on the board - to pick up a 5th and 7th

and  just doesn't make a lot of sense.  Seems to me like Mac got fleeced or as many said got a little cocky....

Maybe he learns a lesson here.

Drafts are made in the 5th through 7th rounds. I don't know how we got fleeced. He picked up extra picks and drafted a player they like that also met a need. 

terrible comparison Mouldin is a way better Athlete than Schlegal ever was..

Mouldin-4.85 40, 32 Vert, 23 Reps of 225

Suggs 4.84 40 ,33 Vert, 19 Reps of 225

Hali 4.87 40, 30 vert, 18 reps of 225,

Would you call Terrell Suggs and Tomba hali  Unathletic?

He's unathletic compared to Harold.

To be fair I was being a tad facetious, the Boar Hunter was an ILB as far as I recall, but my overall point is that Mauldin is not the same prospect Harold is.

Yeah pretty sure he messed up.

He did Houston a huge favor there, letting them get Strong. Maybe the steal of the draft. Maybe he was thanking his old employers for giving him a good recommendation;)

Sure would've preferred Strong/ Harold to Smith/ Mauldin. But both sides are solid.

Drafts are made in the 5th through 7th rounds. I don't know how we got fleeced. He picked up extra picks and drafted a player they like that also met a need.

no drafts are made in the 5-7 rounds. Maybe 2-5. 6 & 7 rounders are usually useless

Yeah pretty sure he messed up.

He did Houston a huge favor there, letting them get Strong. Maybe the steal of the draft. Maybe he was thanking his old employers for giving him a good recommendation;)

Sure would've preferred Strong/ Harold to Smith/ Mauldin. But both sides are solid.

i would never have taken Strong over Smith. Strong has serious separation issues in College and doesn't play too his timed speed. why do you think he fell to the 3rd round?

Another falsehood. Drafts are not made in the 5th and 7th rounds. Sure sometimes (rarely) you hit on an impact player or even a starter in those rounds but statistically the better players trickle down from round to round. You don't move 12 spaces in the third to get what they got. When when there was still do much value.

i would never have taken Strong over Smith. Strong has serious separation issues in College and doesn't play too his timed speed. why do you think he fell to the 3rd round?

i think Strong is better but Smith probably the better fit for us for now. We need the deep threat to complement Marshall-Decker

Why did k Allen fall to the 3rd. Sometimes these gms mess up like the rest of us

Couldn't agree more.

And I think (I'm very much reading bt the lines here) Mac has hinted twice that he missed on this trade both in his presser with Bowles after Day 2 as well as with his interview at Florham Park in the dome - essentially saying it's educated guessing when you trade down and sometimes the guys you hoped for get taken 2-3 picks ahead of you.

Pick #152 is worthless, we really could've gotten an impact STARTER in the 3rd round today but Mac got too cute IMO.

I will forever compare Mauldin to Eli Harold and Tevin Coleman's impact (Duke Johnson too who would've been a PERFECT complement to Ivory.

I like Tevin Coleman a lot and think he will have a great career, I don't think he would have fit Gailys system though.

I think he did get cute, but we did really get a good player, Gil Brandt thinks he is very good, and fifth and seventh round pics do sometimes turn out to be gems.

brandt had Harold rated in the high 20's low 30's and Mauldin in the high 80's low 90's

i think Strong is better but Smith probably the better fit for us for now. We need the deep threat to complement Marshall-Decker

Why did k Allen fall to the 3rd. Sometimes these gms mess up like the rest of us

fair enough i think strong has great hands. but if you can't separate on the college level. i personally don't think it gets easier on the NFL level. 

He's unathletic compared to Harold.

To be fair I was being a tad facetious, the Boar Hunter was an ILB as far as I recall, but my overall point is that Mauldin is not the same prospect Harold is.

He's unathletic compared to Vernon Gholston, too. I'm willing to see what happens. 

K Allen had Couldn't stay healthy..  thats why he fell. Allen is a 30x the prospect Strong was . if you argue DGB over smith i can see it. But no i would never draft Strong over smith in any scenario . Smith was one of the guys i wanted if we didn't go WR in RD 1 along with Dorsett and DGB.   I'm not high on Strong as everyone else is great hands but everything else is raw imo

Another falsehood. Drafts are not made in the 5th and 7th rounds. Sure sometimes (rarely) you hit on an impact player or even a starter in those rounds but statistically the better players trickle down from round to round. You don't move 12 spaces in the third to get what they got. When when there was still do much value.

Yes you do if the player you picked fills a need and gives you more draft picks. Gil Brandt, who forgot more football then we know, had Mauldin rated higher then where we picked him.

no he didn't. Had Mauldin ranked 92, Harold 36.

He does like Mauldin though

Archived