JETS have the best draft so far - BB (not that BB)

prime21

Bucky Brooks on the NFL Network say the Jets have had the best draft though three rounds.

* best prospect in the draft in Willimas

* dynamite big play threat in Smith

* an underrated edge rusher in Mauldin

" talk about fitting their needs with top picks they have done a great job in upgrading their roster"

Bucky Brooks on the NFL Network say the Jets have had the best draft though three rounds.

" talk about fitting their needs with top picks they have done a great job in upgrading their roster"

The truth is when in the last several years has anyone said that about a Jet draft?

And yet we have fans who are saying this is just what Idzik did last year.

It sounded great until he talked about us hitting our needs.  Williams is an awesome talent but the farthest thing from a need pick that there was.  Doesn't make the draft any less great but it seems like he was only half paying attention.

Per Mel Kiper....

The Jets are halfway through a really good draft. They got the best player in the entire draft yesterday in Leonard Williams, and if there's any critique of that pick it would be that it wasn't a big need. But in Rounds 2 and 3 they didn't just target needs effectively, they added a pile of picks in a deal with Houston. Devin Smith is the field-stretcher they need, not just a vertical threat, but a guy who has a little Steve Smith in him, making contested catches you expect from a bigger receiver. The Jets also got Lorenzo Mauldin, not a steal by any means in Round 3, but definitely a fit they can use as they look for help on the edges.

The truth is when in the last several years has anyone said that about a Jet draft?

And yet we have fans who are saying this is just what Idzik did last year.

Saying XYZ team had a good/bad draft in April is absolutely meaningless.

Williams tips the scale, especially if you factor him at 6.  Smith looks like he could be a player.  I personally didnt think he was the best WR on the board but the more I've read and watched, he's got some serious talent and seems to have a chip on his shoulder to prove he's not a one trick pony.  Maudlin was a great 3rd pick IMO. Reminds me of the Davis pick a few years ago in a lot of ways. I took him in the JN mock draft for the Cardinals in the 3rd round, only 4 picks after the Jets actual pick.  I picked him for value and scheme with the thought that they're probably continue to run a similar defense as Bowles.  So I like that pick.  Its a solid draft on paper.

I like Cleveland's picks but taking Erving with Alex Mack on the team was confusing.  I guess they dont plan on resigning Mack.  Maybe they move Erving to G for the year. But I really like Nate Orchard and Duke Johnson.  Cant say I know much about Xavier Cooper but he's a big boy to pair next to Shelton who is going to be a stud.  

New Orleans has done a great job too.  Peat is a beast. Anthony is the exact side line to side line LB'er they needed.  Kikaha might be the best OLB of the class. I'm not big on Grayson but sure. Why not?  And PJ Williams is a long solid CB to pair with Browner.  

The Raiders finally look like they know what they're doing.  Cooper and Walford will help Carr immediately.  And Mario Edwards is a beast when he wants to be, so that on them to reign him in.

The Jags have a boom or bust draft.  It could be unreal good for them or crippling.  Fowler, Yeldon and Cann were all SEC studs. 

I like what the Bucs and Titans have done too.  Build around their QB's  Bucs went heavy OL since they're stacked at the skills position and Titans did a little of both which complimented their offseason well.

So yeah, the Jets are up there.  

I think Mauldin is the kind of player Bowles likes IMO. Self-made, pick yourself up by the bootstraps despite having everything against you.

He also seems to be better able to set the edge than Harold although Harold is faster and more of a spped rusher.

I wanted Harold, but Mauldin is growing on me quickly the more I learn about him

I am personally excited about all 3 picks.

Getting Williams at 6 was a huge steal and just adds to our strength already, building a DOMINANT line to stuff the run and harass QBs.

I really am excited about Devin Smith. Guy seems like a burner with good ball skills. Torrey Smith is a good comparison, love hearing he might have a little Steve Smith in him as well.....plus he fits in well with our WRs and scheme.

Mauldin I don't know much about but he seems like a high effort guy and great to hear his coaches had to constantly ask him to tone it down in practice. Won't have a problem motivating this guy.

Excited to see if we can add a RB and some OLine and special teams depth. Remember guys like Leon Washington, Slauson and Brad Smith were picked in rounds 4-6.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

It sounded great until he talked about us hitting our needs.  Williams is an awesome talent but the farthest thing from a need pick that there was.  Doesn't make the draft any less great but it seems like he was only half paying attention.

I don't think he was referring to Williams as a Need when he described him as The Best Prospect In The Draft... 

Saying XYZ team had a good/bad draft in April is absolutely meaningless.

I agree and yet Idzik claimed in his midseason pressser that "the Jets had all the talent" we needed, based on his drafts, when any boob could see that the Jets were devoid of key positional talent on the field. 

So what I was refering to was what your post implied and that even in the short term instant analysis world of utter nonsense Jets drafts have often left much to be debated.

Remember we are a fan base that drafted Ken (who) Obrien over Dan Marino!!! 

I really like our draft so far.  But "Bucky Brooks"?  Bucky effin' Brooks.  And since when does BB in a thread title automatically invoke thoughts of Bucky mother****ing Brooks?  Is you or is you not out of your zip damn fool mind?

Pats are more concerned about shinning all their Super Bowl trophies rather than some insignificant draft.

Good teams don't worry about the draft.

Don't do this here. Not now anyway.

The jets are finally doing the right things.

I am VERY pleased with the draft now, despite my initial worry/wtf over Williams.

WR prospect, aquired.

QB prospect, aquired.

OLB Pass Rusher prospect, aquired.

All things I REALLY wanted to see.

Getting Williams, a head scratcher still IMO, is cream on top, supposed "best" overall prospect in the class.  Hard to complain if your needs are still met.

Go O-line prospect in the 5th, and call it a draft.  Very well done.

No idea if it'll work out of course, but on paper this is IMO a very well done draft by Mac.

Archived