Jarvis Harrison - G Tex. A&M

KRL

STRENGTHS: Thickly built with wide hips and strong bubble?carries his weight well with an athletic lower body and agile footwork to mirror in small spaces?bursts off the snap with the initial set-up quickness to get into position?absorbs contact well with active limbs, marrying his punch with his eyes?uses hand placement to latch-and-control, driving defenders away from the ball with core power?will sink his weight in his stance to anchor with leverage.

Consistent hustle and doesn?t take plays off ? finds ways to get the job done, even if it doesn?t look pretty in the process?versatile experience and his on-field effectiveness didn?t drop off when asked to kick out to left tackle ? 37 career starts, 33 at left guard and four at left tackle.

WEAKNESSES: Has some sloppy weight on his frame and needs to improve his conditioning?has some hip tightness to quickly redirect?needs to consistently roll his hips on contact and not just rely on his upper body to get the job done?late to recover after he overextends or falls off blocks ? waist-bending habits?will give up ground off the snap due to short sets and needs to improve his pre-snap recognition?not comfortable in space at the second level.

Streaky confidence and gets down on himself after mistakes?satisfied with his initial block and doesn?t display the nasty playing temperament to be a mauling finisher?soft spoken and still has growing up to do?unreliable habits and work ethic with questionable football passion ? was late to his own pro day workout?lost his starting job to begin the 2014 season due to poor conditioning following rehab from injury?durability concerns after a calf issue (Jan. 2014) multiple shoulder surgeries.

IN OUR VIEW: A basketball player growing up, Harrison didn?t focus on football until his junior season in high school and was a late bloomer, but quickly made a positive impression in College Station, showing significant strides each season. He was the band aid of the Aggies? offensive line, primarily lining up at left guard, but also kicking out to left tackle when needed, pushing Cedric Ogbuehi to right tackle in 2014. Harrison has starting potential in the NFL with top-75 talent, but the questionable football character and desire to reach his full potential will drop him down draft boards ? day three prospect, but if a coaching staff can light a fire under his butt and get him to buy in, Harrison will end up being a steal.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1759923/jarvis-harrison

Seems like a pretty solid value in the 5th round - the right guard spot is still a question mark. Tons of young guards on the roster right now and they're not all going to make it, will be interseting to see how it all shakes out.

I'm convinced that a couple of the guards on our roster are going to be kicked out

to LT and be groomed to be Brick's replacement.  I think Dozier will be one and now

maybe Harrison

I'm a firm believer in Oday Aboushi at RG this year. I think he really performed well last season, much better than Winters did at LG. Anyone else pulling for Oday to win the RG spot?...I am also over the Colon experiment, he's to fat/old/slow and penalty prone to start over our youngsters in my opinion.

I'm a firm believer in Oday Aboushi at RG this year. I think he really performed well last season, much better than Winters did at LG. Anyone else pulling for Oday to win the RG spot?...I am also over the Colon experiment, he's to fat/old/slow and penalty prone to start over our youngsters in my opinion.

Hope not.  he played better then Winters , just don't see his upside.  He looked good because Winters was so bad

Hope not.  he played better then Winters , just don't see his upside.  He looked good because Winters was so bad

He was better than many people noticed. After he switched to G from T; he splayed well down the stretch. He's better than Colon by far. Colon's a joke at this point with the penalties and inability to get to the next level.

Funny. I thought Dozier would be better. I heard good things about him. Maybe he's learning.

Dozier is smart and seems to have a great work ethic. Always had the NFL body, I think he will be just fine wherever he ends up playing on the line. I'm actually more excited about our Oline competition in camp than our QB one lol.

STRENGTHS: Thickly built with wide hips and strong bubble?carries his weight well with an athletic lower body and agile footwork to mirror in small spaces?bursts off the snap with the initial set-up quickness to get into position?absorbs contact well with active limbs, marrying his punch with his eyes?uses hand placement to latch-and-control, driving defenders away from the ball with core power?will sink his weight in his stance to anchor with leverage.

Consistent hustle and doesn?t take plays off ? finds ways to get the job done, even if it doesn?t look pretty in the process?versatile experience and his on-field effectiveness didn?t drop off when asked to kick out to left tackle ? 37 career starts, 33 at left guard and four at left tackle.

WEAKNESSES: Has some sloppy weight on his frame and needs to improve his conditioning?has some hip tightness to quickly redirect?needs to consistently roll his hips on contact and not just rely on his upper body to get the job done?late to recover after he overextends or falls off blocks ? waist-bending habits?will give up ground off the snap due to short sets and needs to improve his pre-snap recognition?not comfortable in space at the second level.

Streaky confidence and gets down on himself after mistakes?satisfied with his initial block and doesn?t display the nasty playing temperament to be a mauling finisher?soft spoken and still has growing up to do?unreliable habits and work ethic with questionable football passion ? was late to his own pro day workout?lost his starting job to begin the 2014 season due to poor conditioning following rehab from injury?durability concerns after a calf issue (Jan. 2014) multiple shoulder surgeries.

IN OUR VIEW: A basketball player growing up, Harrison didn?t focus on football until his junior season in high school and was a late bloomer, but quickly made a positive impression in College Station, showing significant strides each season. He was the band aid of the Aggies? offensive line, primarily lining up at left guard, but also kicking out to left tackle when needed, pushing Cedric Ogbuehi to right tackle in 2014. Harrison has starting potential in the NFL with top-75 talent, but the questionable football character and desire to reach his full potential will drop him down draft boards ? day three prospect, but if a coaching staff can light a fire under his butt and get him to buy in, Harrison will end up being a steal.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1759923/jarvis-harrison

All those question marks make reading that fun. In my head I'm inflecting everything as a question.

I'm convinced that a couple of the guards on our roster are going to be kicked out

to LT and be groomed to be Brick's replacement.  I think Dozier will be one and now

maybe Harrison

Didn't a number of our guards play tackle in college?

I agree. I believe Aboushi has outplayed Winters. If Winters can't play center like they are trying to do, then he is a goner.

Not the exact same issues, but think back to one of the Jets big draft screw ups a few years back.

We drafted Eric Ainge in the 5th round one spot ahead of a guard with really good physcial talent but work ethic and a bit of character concerns.  Carl Nicks.

Oh, and at least we filled one absolute must re this draft, we got a guy that is a 'dancing bear'

Actually it looks like Harrison started two games at tackle this year too. Most draft picks do because that's where college teams put their best guys.

Now, if we can't find two competent starting guards and at least one potential starting tackle amongst this group...

...I just don't know.

Archived