We are finally developing a good prospect pool with competition...

Beerfish

The Tanny/Rex era had the 'go for it' mentality (justifiably so) and we had a number of drafts in a row with few picks, they also treated later round picks like garbage to be disposed of.  The lack of proper depth and development came home to roost the last few years.  Few drafted prospects, always shuffking around our psquad with udfa, having no one that could actually play at times in case of injury.

Leaving actual pick and gm evaluations aside the team is finally getting a pool of prospects at each positon and bette yet there is going to be legit competition between them.  I always hated the notion of having players around for long that you just called 'backups'.  Your backups should be guys you are developing to be starters.

Look at our rosters going into camp.

QB:  I am not a fan of this QB class but at least we added a player with some skills, a guy who is not being pushed into play and a guy that might step into the picture in a year or two if Geno falls on his ass this year.  Our vet guy can actually play in the league, no more jokes like Brunell as the back up.

WR:  We added vet talent, drafted a guy in the 2nd round, picked up another propsect in the trade down.  This to go along with the two guys we drafted last year and we have some legit competion for the development spots.

OL: We added Harrsion, to Dozier, Aboushi, if you get a starter our of a few years worth of 5th or later rounders you have done well.  Winters? He's goiing to have to produce to be on the roster this year, no free ride.

OLB:  We draft Mauldin and add him to Emkepali, two developmental olbs

S:  Pryor, Jarrett, Allen at least some depth with a bit of experience shuffled in.

CB:  Our developmental guys were higher picks, milliner, McDougall and williams from last year.  Walls will have to actually be good this year to make the team.

This team is miles head of where it has been the last few years as far as depth, young depth and actual competition amongst that young depth.

Yea i really like what Mac is doing. Idzik preached competition but he didn't know how to create the right pool of prospects to breed winners. Obviously Mac is just getting started but he's already giving himself a better shot than idzik as far as creating competition where we might actually develop a homegrown winner. 

Somebody in the media should contact Idzik and tell him that this is how you create competition, by actually bringing in people to compete for jobs.  You don't create it by simply saying the word over and over again and then dictating that the lesser of the two QBs has to start regardless of talent level and/or performance in practice.

I wouldn't lump Tannenbaum in with Idzik in the football IQ department.  Tannenbaum did put a good product on the field for the most part, there just wasn't a vision for sustained success into the future.  But, the team he assembled from 2008-2010 was pretty darn good and underachieved due to a Brett Favre injury and the incompetence of Rex Ryan.

Idzik just didn't know what the heck he was doing, period.  Tannenbaum is far from a great GM, but I don't believe he deserves to be lumped in as being equally as bad as Idzik, who may go down as one of the worst GMs in the history of the NFL.

I wouldn't lump Tannenbaum in with Idzik in the football IQ department.  Tannenbaum did put a good product on the field for the most part, there just wasn't a vision for sustained success into the future.  But, the team he assembled from 2008-2010 was pretty darn good and underachieved due to a Brett Favre injury and the incompetence of Rex Ryan.

Idzik just didn't know what the heck he was doing, period.  Tannenbaum is far from a great GM, but I don't believe he deserves to be lumped in as being equally as bad as Idzik, who may go down as one of the worst GMs in the history of the NFL.

fair enough. Tanny did some good things for immediate results but not a plan for the future

It's going to be fascinating to see who ends up getting snaps at several positions.

I've never been so stoked for the pre-season games - how is Petty going to Look.  What's  our DL rotation going to be? Will Coples finally wake up?  Will DevinSmith go 70 yards?  Who gets the carries?  Who wins the OG spot opposite Carpenter? 

It's going to be fascinating to see who ends up getting snaps at several positions.

I've never been so stoked for the pre-season games - how is Petty going to Look.  What's  our DL rotation going to be? Will Coples finally wake up?  Will DevinSmith go 70 yards?  Who gets the carries?  Who wins the OG spot opposite Carpenter?

dont expect petty this year. Sitting a year to watch might make all the difference for him. They should have done that for geno but instead ruined him. Im not saying geno would have been great but i bet he would have been better if we developed him slower and smarter

Archived