Did Bryce Petty play in the same spread system as Robert Griffin?

Jetsbb

Yes he did.  The reason he can't play is two fold; he is not the prospect RGIII was coming out (even he would have been better served to start the year on the bench but when you trade 3 #1s for a guy, he is going to start).   There is a reason he lasted until the 4th round in a weak quarterback draft.  Because he needs a lot of development. 

You give the example of Sanchez and Geno and I would argue that them starting so soon is the very reason the have not taken that next step in their development.   Sanchez was fortunate to come to a "ready made team", once the talent started to erode, he showed his true colors.  Remember he also only started one year at USC and his own coach thought he needed another year.  Geno's situation really speaks for itself.  There is NO WAY Petty should start this year and should only touch the field if BOTH Fitz and Geno get hurt.  

It is time to stop the quick fixes and take the time to properly develop a quarterback to seriously challenge NE and Tom Brady's supremacy of this division.     

Yes he did.  The reason he can't play is two fold; he is not the prospect RGIII was coming out (even he would have been better served to start the year on the bench but when you trade 3 #1s for a guy, he is going to start).   There is a reason he lasted until the 4th round in a weak quarterback draft.  Because he needs a lot of development. 

You give the example of Sanchez and Geno and I would argue that them starting so soon is the very reason the have not taken that next step in their development.   Sanchez was fortunate to come to a "ready made team", once the talent started to erode, he showed his true colors.  Remember he also only started one year at USC and his own coach thought he needed another year.  Geno's situation really speaks for itself.  There is NO WAY Petty should start this year and should only touch the field if BOTH Fitz and Geno get hurt.  

It is time to stop the quick fixes and take the time to properly develop a quarterback to seriously challenge NE and Tom Brady's supremacy of this division.     

If this is true Bryce Petty should be given as legitimate a shot to win an even competition as Sanchez and Geno were afforded.

All this BS needs to stop if Griffin could start and be excellent as a rookie coming out of the same system no reason Bryce Petty can be given the chance to start.

If this is true Bryce Petty should be given as legitimate a shot to win an even competition as Sanchez and Geno were afforded.

All this BS needs to stop if Griffin could start and be excellent as a rookie coming out of the same system no reason Bryce Petty can be given the chance to start.

He will get a chance to compete; he is not beating out either Geno or Fitz because he is not ready.  Thankfully we have a coaching staff who will not "rush" him just to please fans with no patience.  

Robert Griffin started and played great his rookie year so was he in the same system as Bryce Petty? If so I don't see why he cant play day 1 like Sanchez and Geno did.

Petty is one read and throw guy. Come to think of it so are Sanchez and Geno. You are right, by extension Petty can start.

From the bit that I watched, Petty was all over the place from an accuracy standpoint and really didn't have to make many reads. He's got a really nice arm, but I'd like to let a guy with physical talent learn a system and make reads for once instead of throwing him right into the mix as a rookie. Everbody has said he needs a redshirt year and I'm completely on board with that. If he comes into camp and kills it sure, let him play, but in a more realistic scenario I'm a fan of letting him sit and learn for a year or two.

The point is not whether it worked out  so well or not. Point is can he start  ? Answer is YES.

Right I want to see him get a legitimate shot not get exclusive third and fourth string snaps as someone like Taj Boyd got.

This year the Jets are more "ready made" then 2009..In 2009 The D front line and LB'ers were Ellis,Jenkins who would only play just 7 games total in 09-10, Pouha"Who many thought was a bust" UDFA Mike Devito,Marcus Murrell,The Ghost,Pace,Harris,Howard Green,BT and Marques Douglas.. On O we had no starting QB with Favre gone,RB TJ and 38 year old Tony Richardson main W/R's were Braylon and Cotch TE Keller. The O-line was to me the only thing that was better.. I just get tired of that ready made for the playoff stuff because before Favre they were 4-12 in 2007

This year the Jets are more "ready made" then 2009..In 2009 The D front line and LB'ers were Ellis,Jenkins who would only play just 7 games total in 09-10, Pouha"Who many thought was a bust" UDFA Mike Devito,Marcus Murrell,The Ghost,Pace,Harris,Howard Green,BT and Marques Douglas.. On O we had no starting QB with Favre gone,RB TJ and 38 year old Tony Richardson main W/R's were Braylon and Cotch TE Keller. The O-line was to me the only thing that was better.. I just get tired of that ready made for the playoff stuff because before Favre they were 4-12 in 2007

That was a veteran laden team with a very good offensive line, running backs, decent receivers and top defense.  Even with that we lucked into 9-7 and the playoffs.  

This upcoming season, let the veteran quarterbacks play and let Petty watch.  Geno or Fitz are ready to play, Petty is not  so no need to throw away your season while he is learning on the job.  He will be a better player for it and that is what matters to me. 

We're beyond that time now. Brady will be gone or be above average (not great) by the time we develop a QB.

We're beyond that time now. Brady will be gone or be above average (not great) by the time we develop a QB.

We are only talking about 2016 or at most 2017.  Just as Brady is about to head out the door, Petty would be ready to take over the reigns.   

That was a veteran laden team with a very good offensive line, running backs, decent receivers and top defense.  Even with that we lucked into 9-7 and the playoffs.  

This upcoming season, let the veteran quarterbacks play and let Petty watch.  Geno or Fitz are ready to play, Petty is not  so no need to throw away your season while he is learning on the job.  He will be a better player for it and that is what matters to me. 

I think Petty should watch and learn not start, I just hate that some think 2009 was a loaded team.. When George Seifert took over the 49'ers from Bill Walsh in 1989 that was a loaded team and the QB's he left him was Montana and Young..

Yeah all we have to do is fire Todd Bowles and hire Mike shanahan

Rg3 is a very bad QB though

The league figured out RGIII after a full offseason watching tape of him throwing to the first read out of pistol. DC's would do the same to Petty. Just double his first progression and/or get a Olb or DE to be a joker on obvious passing downs.

RG3 went from being arguably better than Andrew Luck as a rookie to the worst qb in the nfl even worse than Brian Hoyer. Ditto happened to Kaepernick though not as extreme. Vince Young and Tim Tebow got figured and shut down.

One read qb's don't last in the nfl.

There is absolutely no reason to play Petty in 2015.

1. He won't be ready, Fitz will be and is the better player.

2. He needs the development/learning time.

3. We will not win anything important with Petty we wouldn't win with Fitz.

For the love of God, be smart for once, let the green rookie QB sit and learn for a change.

The 2009 Jets had the best OL I've ever seen, yes even better than last year's Cowboys, imagine swapping 2014 Tony Romo, and DeMarco Murray for 2009 Mark Sanchez, and Thomas Jones, Jets go 14-2, and win Super Bowl!

Petty is one read and throw guy. Come to think of it so are Sanchez and Geno. You are right, by extension Petty can start.

Most rookies are. He played the offense he was in. He played it well. Will he be a star? Who knows. I think he's better than Geno.

I think Fitz starts this year.

I see the logic. Sanchez and Geno started too soon and failed therefore Petty should be allowed to start.

Makes sense.

The 2009 Jets had the best OL I've ever seen, yes even better than last year's Cowboys, imagine swapping 2014 Tony Romo, and DeMarco Murray for 2009 Mark Sanchez, and Thomas Jones, Jets go 14-2, and win Super Bowl!

You don't remember the 90's Cowboys.

There is absolutely no reason to play Petty in 2015.

1. He won't be ready, Fitz will be and is the better player.

2. He needs the development/learning time.

3. We will not win anything important with Petty we wouldn't win with Fitz.

For the love of God, be smart for once, let the green rookie QB sit and learn for a change.

This. 

For once lets continue to develop QB's, dont automatically give one of them the job, and see who wins fair and square. I would like to hope we will be drafting a Bryce Petty, or Tom Savage every year until we get our franchise QB. 

I'm not really sold on Petty, I thought this was a draft to just avoid getting a QB because all of them have questions.  He has arm talent, and throws a very catch-able deep pass, but put him under pressure and he wilts incredibly bad.  I saw two games with him, and any time there was even a hint of pressure, all he seemed to do was toss the ball up high in the air and hope someone ran under it.  Almost always a go route one on one match, but this was built into the offense.  If there is a ton of pressure, throw it where you think your WR can make a play on it, but if you have to over throw him, don't under throw him.  That won't be happening in the NFL and he looked horrible at the Senior Bowl as well.  

He's a project that needs to rework the way he assess a play, and makes reads.  Atleast 1 solid year of sitting with him.  

The league figured out RGIII after a full offseason watching tape of him throwing to the first read out of pistol. DC's would do the same to Petty. Just double his first progression and/or get a Olb or DE to be a joker on obvious passing downs.

RG3 went from being arguably better than Andrew Luck as a rookie to the worst qb in the nfl even worse than Brian Hoyer. Ditto happened to Kaepernick though not as extreme. Vince Young and Tim Tebow got figured and shut down.

One read qb's don't last in the nfl.

If by figured out, you mean destroyed his knee, then yes the league figured out RG3. Seriously, do you idiots even watch these qbs play? He's a completely different player then he was his first year. 

If by figured out, you mean destroyed his knee, then yes the league figured out RG3. Seriously, do you idiots even watch these qbs play? He's a completely different player then he was his first year.

Yeah, if it wasn't for his knee RG3 could actually read an NFL defense. Your making a dumb generalization and haven't watched him play he makes Geno look like a mid-80's Marino as a passer.

Archived