NFL.com Grades Jets Draft *MUST SEE*

jgb

Yes the draft just ended. Yes these things don't mean much. But Did you ever, EVER think you would see this:

jets_logo.jpg

New York Jets

Draft pick: DL Leonard Williams (No. 6 overall), WR Devin Smith (No. 37 overall), LB Lorenzo Mauldin (No. 82 overall), QB Bryce Petty (No. 103 overall), OL Jarvis Harrison (No. 152 overall), NT Deon Simon (No. 223 overall)
Day 1 grade: A+
Day 2 grade: A-
Day 3 grade: A
Overall grade: A
The skinny: The new front office and head coach in New York landed the best player in the draft. That's a nice way to start your tenure even if Williams might not really be a true need for the Jets. That defense should be nasty for Todd Bowles, and Williams could provide some insurance in case Muhammad Wilkerson leaves as a free agent next season. Smith has plenty of speed and will help stretch the field for Geno Smith. Mauldin was a great value pick in the third round off the edge. With some time under his belt in the NFL, Petty might turn out to be the best passer in this draft class and finds a great home in New York to develop behind Geno Smith.

Bottom line: Top-heavy draft group adds to a talented roster assembled very quickly by new GM Mike Maccagnan.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000488889/article/2015-nfl-draft-quicksnap-grades-for-afc-east-teams

I don't know what else you could want from a draft

Best player in draft

Potential stud wr

Upside qb drafted , lots of hope and promise

Edge rusher

Trade for a gunner on special teams and wr depth

O line future and present

De practice squad hopeful

Rb pro runner for additional depth

Macc killed this draft, absolutely killed it

A olus

1)  I have yet to see people do 180 on Leonard Williams and say he was actually a bad player, after the Jets drafted him.  The pre-draft scouting reports are still up, with no edit marks to add in lines under Cons.  

2)  They are talking about Smith and how he helps fit our offense.  I wasn't sure this was allowed in the draft.   

The draft is a very good start, because this is one of the first drafts I've seen in a long time from us, where we could actually see a progression or method to the madness.  We went BPA first pick, BPA with needs on the second pick, BPA with character and motor on the third pick,  Need on the 4th pick, and then need to develop the rest of the way.  It wasn't random developmental OL in the second, or a WR that can't catch that we trade up for, or guys projected to go in the 6th being picked in the 3rd.     

Yes the draft just ended. Yes things things don't mean much. But Did you ever, EVER think you would see this:

jets_logo.jpg
New York Jets

Draft pick: DL Leonard Williams (No. 6 overall), WR Devin Smith (No. 37 overall), LB Lorenzo Mauldin (No. 82 overall), QB Bryce Petty (No. 103 overall), OL Jarvis Harrison (No. 152 overall), NT Deon Simon (No. 223 overall)

Day 1 grade: A+

Day 2 grade: A-

Day 3 grade: A

Overall grade: A

The skinny: The new front office and head coach in New York landed the best player in the draft. That's a nice way to start your tenure even if Williams might not really be a true need for the Jets. That defense should be nasty for Todd Bowles, and Williams could provide some insurance in case Muhammad Wilkerson leaves as a free agent next season. Smith has plenty of speed and will help stretch the field for Geno Smith. Mauldin was a great value pick in the third round off the edge. With some time under his belt in the NFL, Petty might turn out to be the best passer in this draft class and finds a great home in New York to develop behind Geno Smith.

Bottom line: Top-heavy draft group adds to a talented roster assembled very quickly by new GM Mike Maccagnan.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000488889/article/2015-nfl-draft-quicksnap-grades-for-afc-east-teams

They like us! They really, really like us!

Good to see Maccagnan getting the recognition he deserves for such a great draft.  Everything he's done so far this offseason has been right on the money.  It's actually a pretty strange feeling to see someone competent in charge of the Jets.  Refreshing, but strange.  Hopefully it continues for a long time.

Yeah but the pressure he has put on Bowles and his staff is now immense because although our qb situation is less than ideal, he is still expected to have a very competitive team and compete for a playoff spot.  I personally think Bowles is more than up for it and probably looking forward to the challenge meshing all these different parts into a team. 

Mac has really done an outstanding job. I expected at least one free agent target to leave without a contract and at least one pick screwed up in the draft. Can't say anything negative at all up to this point. Lots of competition and lots of good players at every position on the roster. I cant wait to follow the competition through training camp.

Yeah but the pressure he has put on Bowles and his staff is now immense because although our qb situation is less than ideal, he is still expected to have a very competitive team and compete for a playoff spot.  I personally think Bowles is more than up for the challenge and probably looking forward to the challenge meshing all these different parts into a team. 

Thats a good point. Jets fans can't be too unreaslistic. This team hasn't been coached in some time. It's going to take a little bit of time to get them all coached up.

I don't know what else you could want from a draft

Best player in draft

Potential stud wr

Upside qb drafted , lots of hope and promise

Edge rusher

Trade for a gunner on special teams and wr depth

O line future and present

De practice squad hopeful

Rb pro runner for additional depth

Macc killed this draft, absolutely killed it

A olus

You forgot to add Brandon Marshall n The Beard to that list. They were also additions due to the draft.

Good to see Maccagnan getting the recognition he deserves for such a great draft.  Everything he's done so far this offseason has been right on the money.  It's actually a pretty strange feeling to see someone competent in charge of the Jets.  Refreshing, but strange.  Hopefully it continues for a long time.

QFT

Team is full with good depth at most positions - training amp is going to be a Royal Rumble for spots

With this offseason, and this draft, and I know this is a polarizing issue, if there is any doubt whatsoever regarding Geno you gotta roll with Fitzpatrick. Just my opinion but this team can compete with anything better than a ham sandwich behind center.

Quick too.  Damn.

Listening to Mcags in the press conferences, I get the sense that he not only wants to field a competitive team now, but to also build one that is competitive for the future.

It's weird, when he was talking about Petty, he kept using these strange phrases like "developmental" and "maturation process" and "investing time in a quarterback". These ideas seem so alien to me, as a Jets fan.

It's funny to read the a-hole Pats fans making their comments over on PFT. Nothing will make me happier and I just hope I live long enough to see the tide change on that team. I used to actually feel bad for Red Sox fans and after these past 15 years I hope that city goes through another 3 generations of sports fan futility because they truly do deserve it.

For me the above line was the most important one of all.  Think after one year of being a mess we now have a TALENTED ROSTER!!!

Wow

Just Wow!!

Mac did very well ......jets have a real GM for once.... sure beats wet farts and senility.  

LOL, you were pretty ripe back then. I needed air freshner for your office visits. I also wouldnt call predicting Pats not to make playoffs 4 years in a row senility, but pure Bleed Green love you have for Jets. Dont knock yourself, you arent senile, but maybe  a little stinky LOL. 

Since these guys were hired, I've been much more excited about having a personnel guy in the GM seat for the first time in a decade than I was about the new head coach. I really feel like Maccagnan has done his job, and done it well. I also like what I've seen and heard from Bowles so far, but now it's up to him to take this vastly improved roster and do something with it. Yeah, he still has some QB issues, but he also has one of best (if not the best) defense in the league on paper right now.

Pressure's on, I'm looking forward to it.

Since these guys were hired, I've been much more excited about having a personnel guy in the GM seat for the first time in a decade than I was about the new head coach. I really feel like Maccagnan has done his job, and done it well. I also like what I've seen and heard from Bowles so far, but now it's up to him to take this vastly improved roster and do something with it. Yeah, he still has some QB issues, but he also has one of best (if not the best) defense in the league on paper right now.

Pressure's on, I'm looking forward to it.

yup.. sucks when it doesnt work, but we all Bleed Green and suffer thru it. It is what it is. Last few years horrible, but what u gonna do?  Suffering together makes it all the sweeter for when we turn it around :) Over 50 years invested with the team, hell maybe we can get a 10 year 'in the playoff hunt' going here :)

321 Phil.. ;)

It's funny to read the a-hole Pats fans making their comments over on PFT. Nothing will make me happier and I just hope I live long enough to see the tide change on that team. I used to actually feel bad for Red Sox fans and after these past 15 years I hope that city goes through another 3 generations of sports fan futility because they truly do deserve it.

It is already starting to turn. The AFC East is going to be a bitch this year and I can see them losing at least 1 if not both games to teams in the division.  Brady can't play forever and truthfully if it wasn't for Revis and Browner last year they probably don't get to the Bowl.  They will still have a very good team but the gap is closing and closing faster than some Pat fans think.  

in the immortal words of Jim Fassel, "you have to do a better job of getting better than the other guys"

so........

Miami Dolphins

Draft pick: WR DeVante Parker (No. 14 overall), DT Jordan Phillips (No. 52 overall), OL Jamil Douglas (No. 114 overall), CB Bobby McCain (No. 145 overall), RBJay Ajayi (No. 149 overall), S Cedric Thompson(No. 150 overall), CB/WR Tony Lippett (No. 156 overall)
Day 1 grade: A
Day 2 grade: B+
Day 3 grade: B

Overall grade: B

New England Patriots

Draft picks: DT Malcom Brown (No. 32 overall), No. 32 overall), SSJordan Richards (No. 64 overall), DLGeneo Grissom (No. 97 overall), DETrey Flowers (No. 101 overall), OL Tre Jackson (No. 111 overall), OL Shaq Mason (No. 131 overall), LS Joe Cardona (No. 166 overall), LB Matthew Wells (No. 178 overall), TE A.J. Derby(No. 202 overall), CB Darryl Roberts(No. 247 overall), LB Xzavier Dickson(No. 253 overall)

Day 1 grade: A+
Day 2 grade: C
Day 3 grade: B+
Overall grade: B+

Buffalo Bills

Draft picks: CB Ronald Darby (No. 50 overall), OGJohn Miller (No. 81 overall), RB Karlos Williams (No. 155 overall), LB Tony Steward (No. 188 overall), TE Nick O'Leary (No. 194 overall), WR Dezmin Lewis (No. 234 overall)

Day 1 grade: N/A
Day 2 grade: B-
Day 3 grade: C
Overall grade: C-

Maccagnan killed it, kudos to him.  Every major need was met and he landed the best non-QB in the entire draft in Williams.  Finding an heir apparent to Pace was huge.  We finally got a legit burner in Smith.  Getting Brandon Marshall and Zac Stacy for a 5th round pick is borderline highway robbery.

Finally, he scooped up a guy who could be the QB of the future.  He won't make an impact in year 1, but has a special arm and quick release.  If he can mentally figure it out he could be a keeper.

Things haven't changed for the last 15 years Jimmy.

They won't change this year either.

you know whats weird ?

the past* drafts every year are so ordinary, but they never lose

it's like they have some magic way of winning more than the talent should

it's a mystery

you know whats weird ?

the past* drafts every year are so ordinary, but they never lose

it's like they have some magic way of winning more than the talent should

it's a mystery

Unlike the majority of other teams, the Pats draft for need and not the overrated BPA.

That's why the Pats drafts are so boring.

1)  I have yet to see people do 180 on Leonard Williams and say he was actually a bad player, after the Jets drafted him.  The pre-draft scouting reports are still up, with no edit marks to add in lines under Cons.  

2)  They are talking about Smith and how he helps fit our offense.  I wasn't sure this was allowed in the draft.   

The draft is a very good start, because this is one of the first drafts I've seen in a long time from us, where we could actually see a progression or method to the madness.  We went BPA first pick, BPA with needs on the second pick, BPA with character and motor on the third pick,  Need on the 4th pick, and then need to develop the rest of the way.  It wasn't random developmental OL in the second, or a WR that can't catch that we trade up for, or guys projected to go in the 6th being picked in the 3rd.     

Well there's this from Bleacher report..  LOL

I can assume this slide will create a solid amount of controversy in the comments below. 

Look, I'm a huge fan of first-round selection Leonard Williams, a defensive tackle from USC. I'm just not a big fan of that selection for the New York Jets who already had a couple of the best young 3-4 defensive ends in the league in Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson. 

Now, yes, new head coach Todd Bowles is much more willing to use hybrid fronts than his predecessor Rex Ryan was, but Williams is still duplicative of what they had on the roster in a draft with so many needs.

Normally, I would be happy when a team eschews needs for a top player, but this pick has to come with a concern that a top pick in the draft either isn't seeing the field enough in Year 1 or he's pushing out a supremely talented player when the Jets would've been well served either trading the pick or taking any number of the picks that went right after—wide receiver Kevin White, pass-rusher Vic Beasley or even running back Todd Gurley.

My biggest worry is that Williams isn't as much of a pass-rusher as the team likely will need him to be for this pick to pan out. Sam Monson of Pro Football Focus has written extensively on this, noting that although his production numbers looked good in college, he's much further along as a run stopper. 

It isn't just Williams. The Jets also overdrafted Ohio State wide receiver Devin Smith, Louisville linebacker Lorenzo Mauldin (who wasn't even the best pass-rusher on his defense in this class) and Baylor quarterback Bryce Petty, who has one of the steepest hills to climb as an older quarterback with a weak arm coming out of one of the most simplistic offenses in college football. 

Well there's this from Bleacher report..  LOL

I can assume this slide will create a solid amount of controversy in the comments below. 

Look, I'm a huge fan of first-round selection Leonard Williams, a defensive tackle from USC. I'm just not a big fan of that selection for the New York Jets who already had a couple of the best young 3-4 defensive ends in the league in Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson. 

Now, yes, new head coach Todd Bowles is much more willing to use hybrid fronts than his predecessor Rex Ryan was, but Williams is still duplicative of what they had on the roster in a draft with so many needs.

Normally, I would be happy when a team eschews needs for a top player, but this pick has to come with a concern that a top pick in the draft either isn't seeing the field enough in Year 1 or he's pushing out a supremely talented player when the Jets would've been well served either trading the pick or taking any number of the picks that went right after—wide receiver Kevin White, pass-rusher Vic Beasley or even running back Todd Gurley.

My biggest worry is that Williams isn't as much of a pass-rusher as the team likely will need him to be for this pick to pan out. Sam Monson of Pro Football Focus has written extensively on this, noting that although his production numbers looked good in college, he's much further along as a run stopper. 

It isn't just Williams. The Jets also overdrafted Ohio State wide receiver Devin Smith, Louisville linebacker Lorenzo Mauldin (who wasn't even the best pass-rusher on his defense in this class) and Baylor quarterback Bryce Petty, who has one of the steepest hills to climb as an older quarterback with a weak arm coming out of one of the most simplistic offenses in college football.

Bryce Petty has a weak arm?

Who wrote that, Stevie Wonder?

Archived