the fight

Maxman

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That fight ruined boxing even more from a public perception of boxing. For the casual fan like myself it was not worth the price of the Ppv. For the hardcore boxing fan I get why it was good. But with the hype and everything if they were to have a rematch. The hype and the overall interest would plummet greatly judging by the type of fight it was. And thus doing boxing a disservice.

The real reason mma soars in popularity is because someone gets knocked out. Period.

That fight ruined boxing even more from a public perception of boxing. For the casual fan like myself it was not worth the price of the Ppv. For the hardcore boxing fan I get why it was good. But with the hype and everything if they were to have a rematch. The hype and the overall interest would plummet greatly judging by the type of fight it was. And thus doing boxing a disservice.

The real reason mma soars in popularity is because someone gets knocked out. Period.

It's like that in every sport. The better the athletes are the less mistakes they make. Doesn't matter if we're talking football, basketball, boxing, MMA, whatever. People in general want to see crazy stuff happen. They want to see people make mistakes, pay the price for making mistakes. They don't want to see 2 fighters or 2 NFL teams not make a single mistake even though that's the art, that's what people should be appreciating. The hardcore boxing, NFL or sports fans period do that. But the casual guy (like you) doesn't. I understand why you'd be mad if you paid 100 bucks for a PPV fight but if you don't know what you're buying, if you don't know what you're spending your money on then you have nothing to complain really. You didn't bother trying to figure out if it's worth it or not. And anybody who knows a little bit about boxing would have told you that the odds of anything crazy happening in that fight were very, very slim. It was a fight that people wanted to be part of because of how important it was. Now people can say 50 years from now they were there when these 2 fought, they saw it live on TV or whatever. They didn't pay 300k for a ticket or 100 bucks for a PPV because of what they expected to see in the ring. It's more about being part of history.

Floyd might be great, but his fights are boring.  I'm annoyed that I took the time to find a stream to watch it on.

this. As a casual fan, I can't really appreciate the art, it's just non eventful and boring. Won't watch a rematch

Won't be one. Worst part is some big retard warned me off taking -190 which seemed at the time like printing money. Still does.

Yeah it was. I had -120 Mayweather in a decision..

The **** you did. Where?

umm, anywhere.. but specifically a local

Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Betting Odds at Bovada as of May 2:

Floyd "Money" Mayweather Jr -200

Manny "Pac Man" Pacquiao +160

Over Rounds 11½ -270

Under Rounds 11½ +210

Floyd "Money" Mayweather Jr vs Manny "Pac Man" Pacquiao - Fight Outcome

Floyd "Money" Mayweather Jr by KO, TKO or Disqualification +500

Floyd "Money" Mayweather Jr by Decision or Technical Decision -120

Manny "Pac Man" Pacquiao by KO, TKO or Disqualification +425

Manny "Pac Man" Pacquiao by Decision or Technical Decision +375

Draw or Technical Draw +900

The idea that Mayweather imagines himself to be the greatest fighter ever is simply a horrible joke. Marciano's handlers constructed one stiff after another for Marciano to be become the great white hope, taking on a decrepit Moore and ancient Joe Louis among the mix. Marciano was a great puncher with legs like tree trunks, but he simply did not have the opponents to be considered the greatest. Mayweather's crew did exactly the same thing... stiff after stiff at a time when boxing has been in a depression re overall talent. Sugar Ray Robinson, where are you? Mayweather is around the 20-30th best boxer on an optimistic day. We have very low standards these days.

1. SRR

2. Joe Louis

3. Ali

4. Henry Armstrong

5. Floyd

I didn't put them in exact order, but I figure Mayweather is somewhere in the 15-25 range.

1. Sugar Ray Robinson

2. Henry Armstrong

3. Joe Louis

4. Jack Johnson

5. Jack Dempsey

6. Willie Pep

7. Muhammed Ali

8. Larry Holmes

9. Julio Chavez

10. Roberto Duran

11. Sugar Ray Leonard

12. Marvin Hagler

13. Rocky Marciano

14. Joe Frazier

15. Archie Moore

16. Jake LaMotta

17. Floyd Mayweather

18. Manny Pacquaio

19. Jersey Joe Walcott

20. Roy Jones, Jr.

I didn't put them in exact order, but I figure Mayweather is somewhere in the 15-25 range.

1. Sugar Ray Robinson

2. Henry Armstrong

3. Joe Louis

4. Jack Johnson

5. Jack Dempsey

6. Willie Pep

7. Muhammed Ali

8. Larry Holmes

9. Julio Chavez

10. Roberto Duran

11. Sugar Ray Leonard

12. Marvin Hagler

13. Rocky Marciano

14. Joe Frazier

15. Archie Moore

16. Jake LaMotta

17. Floyd Mayweather

18. Manny Pacquaio

19. Jersey Joe Walcott

20. Roy Jones, Jr.

Harry Greb and Benny Leonard have to be on here somewhere. That's not even up for debate. I think Ezzard Charles is required for any top 20 list and I'd definitely have Sweet Pea in there as well.

Pretty boy mayweather is the best in the business. Greatest defensive boxer of all time.

Which is why nobody will ever mention him in the discussion of greatest fighters ever. Every one of his fights is a snooze fest. The only time he goes on the offensive is when he is beating a woman.

Typical Money Mayweather, guys just a tactical genius. At welterweight no ones got the power to get through his defence, he may be boring but it's very effective, that's a 19 year run without a defeat.

Rhythmic gymnastics are more exciting than a Mayweather fight. His style of fighting is one of the reasons that boxing is becoming irrelevant and I say this a formerly huge fan of boxing.

Archived