2016 QBs

SonnyJet

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a fan of Cardale Jones at all, big arm, but he holds on to the ball even longer than Geno. 

Hackenberg, Cook, Jared Goff from California, Patrick Towles out of Kentucky. He won't be eligible next year, but the young kid at Clemson and Kyle Allen from Texas A&M both look good. 

I doubt Petty or Geno are the quarterbacks of the future. So which guys would you like to draft next year? I know the consensus would like Cook, but how about Jones and Hackenburg?

Mike Bercovici, Arizona St. 

Reminds me of a young Drew Brees. He actually popped out at me when I was going through Jaelen Strong's tape. I started looking at Strong, but ended looking at Bercovici. 

If there were a way to get our hands on Alex Smith I think he would be the best QB option for us especially at this time. Logically we have an amazing defense and we are going to lose games by dumb mistakes, Alex Smith is probably the safest and most conservative QB in the NFL and he has experience so we wouldn't have to give him time to develop like a rookie next season which is important when you have an ageing secondary. That aside I would say its probably best to wait a bit and see how these QBs play (both the college ones and the ones on our roster) next season before you decide which one you like as it is certainly not unheard of that a stud prospect who is a first round talent suddenly becomes a 4-5th round developmental prospect during the season.

I think Cook is possibly the top guy at this point.  Hackenberg looked great his freshman season, but he also looked horrible last year.  It needs to be seen how he recovers, because I don't think he's a lock right now.  He has the talent, but no way he's going in the first after how horrible he was last year unless he improves.   Also need to see how Cardale Jones does too.

As maury77 said, the guy I really like in college right now is Kyle Allen.  Electric arm, good accuracy, can move around a bit, and got some early Aaron Rodgers comparisons.  

Christian Hackenberg has all the tools and ability to be that guy, playing under center in an NFL style offense, but he has to improve on a rather poor Sophomore season.

Different system going from O'Brien's to Franklin's?

The top names seem to be: 

MSU - Conner Cook

PSU - Christian Hackenberg

Cal - Jared Goff 

OSU - Cardale Jones

North Dakota State - Carson Wentz

USC - Cody Kessler 

plus a few more mentioned in this thread
Kyle Allen, Texas A&M
Patrick Towles, Kentucky
Mike Bercovici, Arizona St. 
Kevin Hogan, Stanford
Jake Coker, Alabama

Connor Cook is my preference today but Jones has a chance to run the table, Hackenberg and Goff have the "NFL skills" so it should make for some good Saturday games to watch this fall

the class seems very deep...we prob won't have to trade up too far

if and only if Geno craps the bed why not!but I still believe in Geno 3rd year he has to get a lot better or is lights out for him 1 not the GM that drafted him 2nd not the coach that made the starter. I hope Geno does well very well GO JETS!

IMO, the best QB coming out in next year's draft will be the kid that should have came out this yr In the person of Connor cook.  The kid I am really interested in watching this coming college season thou is Alabama QB Jake Coker. Once again, IMO, the major colleges have very little interest in developing QB like Coker.  Most of these institutions would rather take an athlete  and play him at QB unlike what FSU did with Winston.

none of these guys look particularly legendary. Reeks of the Ponder/Gabbert/Locker class but without the thrill of Cam Newton. that could change though, if Jones continues the way he played. I like that kid. A lot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I quote....

Baylor redshirt senior TE LaQuan McGowan has "slimmed down" to 403 pounds this offseason, per HC Art Briles.

The 6-foot-8 McGowan is shockingly athletic for his size and has, ahem, trimmed down to transition into tight end duties this fall. The former reserve offensive lineman has been clocked at 5.42 40-yard dash and has huge mitts. He could become a valuable role player as an extra blocker and red zone target. However it plays out, we can't wait to watch. "The huge Baylor TE will be a cult hero this season," Bruce Fedman wrote.

Source: Bruce Feldman on Twitter

Wed, Jul 22 2015 7:24 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hackenberg

Goff

Cook

Hogan

Everyone else

Hardly Goff is the best college qb out their right now. Hackenberg plays like sh*t, accuracy is all over the place. He's overrated as hell. And don't even get me started on Hogan fourth rounder at best, which is doubtful cause Petty was much better then he was and he's a fourth rounder.

• 2 weeks later...

The top names seem to be: 

MSU - Conner Cook

PSU - Christian Hackenberg

Cal - Jared Goff 

OSU - Cardale Jones

According to Mike Detillier, Hack and Goff are 1,2 overall types, Cook is a mid 1st round and Jones a late first round. I think Jones could sneak up the board if he goes to Senior Bowl. But those are probably the 1st rounders, at least at this point. 

http://saintsreport.com/forums/f22/mike-ds-early-top-32-players-2016-nfl-draft-343524/

According to Mike Detillier, Hack and Goff are 1,2 overall types, Cook is a mid 1st round and Jones a late first round. I think Jones could sneak up the board if he goes to Senior Bowl. But those are probably the 1st rounders, at least at this point. 

http://saintsreport.com/forums/f22/mike-ds-early-top-32-players-2016-nfl-draft-343524/

I will be watching more football on Saturday this year, not sure Sunday will be too much fun for Jets fans...

Jets will be selecting a first round QB in 2016 unless we trade for someone or Petty emerges

A couple of our scouts were at Cal's recent practice. Perhaps the Jets are scouting qbs, more specifically Goff? Also, here's a highlight video.

I think Goff is the best prospect out of the bunch, but he is so skinny, I have durability concerns about him at the next level. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived