Best part of this draft? Our guys have no pressure

Doggin94it

How many times has this team drafted players to be the savior, thrown them into the fire, and watched them struggle? How many times have we seen kids called busts 5 or 6 games into their rookie season as they are called on to do more than they were prepped for in college, start pressing, and the bad play snowball from there?

Not this year. This year, our top four picks have small, defined roles that fit their current skill sets and that will give them time to grow into bigger roles.

Williams - he's going to spend his first year as a rotational DE behind two of the best in football, keeping them fresh and working his way up to NFL speed in manageable chunks.

Smith - you say he's a 1 trick pony who can only run a nine route and has to learn the rest of the route tree? Good thing that's all we need him for right now - taking the top off the defense for a receiving core that already has top tier starters and an excellent slot guy in Kerley. Barring an injury or a massive decline from Marshall, Smith has two years to work on his craft before the team would need him to play a bigger role.

Mauldin - coming in to contribute in sub packages year 1 and be a core special teamer, not a starter, with the goal of replacing pace as an edge setter next season.

Petty - a developmental qb with elite tools who will actually be given time to develop.

Love this

Good post. I would add to that the fact that for the first time in several years, the Jets have depth at most key positions. That's the only way a team can stay in contention through 16 games with the inevitable impact of injuries. Everybody wonders how the Pats do it year after year... depth which allows plug and play even when injuries crop up and take out a star player. Just another way of saying what you've already pointed to.

Also like that they took guys who are hard workers and passionate on the field. Williams in particular just seems like he is a football junkie that wants to be the best. And for once in like decades, we don't have rigged competitions around the field. Guys have to earn their places this year. Rex was just lip service in that regard.

Good post. I would add to that the fact that for the first time in several years, the Jets have depth at most key positions. That's the only way a team can stay in contention through 16 games with the inevitable impact of injuries. Everybody wonders how the Pats do it year after year... depth which allows plug and play even when injuries crop up and take out a star player. Just another way of saying what you've already pointed to.

add to that , with Fitz or Geno and the aforementioned depth, we could win 10 games.  Our D is stout...  problem is we may be in a 2009 situation where with Cro and Revis. If Pryor and Milner dont pan out, we are back top square one on the DB.

How many times has this team drafted players to be the savior, thrown them into the fire, and watched them struggle? How many times have we seen kids called busts 5 or 6 games into their rookie season as they are called on to do more than they were prepped for in college, start pressing, and the bad play snowball from there?

Not this year. This year, our top four picks have small, defined roles that fit their current skill sets and that will give them time to grow into bigger roles.

Williams - he's going to spend his first year as a rotational DE behind two of the best in football, keeping them fresh and working his way up to NFL speed in manageable chunks.

Smith - you say he's a 1 trick pony who can only run a nine route and has to learn the rest of the route tree? Good thing that's all we need him for right now - taking the top off the defense for a receiving core that already has top tier starters and an excellent slot guy in Kerley. Barring an injury or a massive decline from Marshall, Smith has two years to work on his craft before the team would need him to play a bigger role.

Mauldin - coming in to contribute in sub packages year 1 and be a core special teamer, not a starter, with the goal of replacing pace as an edge setter next season.

Petty - a developmental qb with elite tools who will actually be given time to develop.

Love this

Doggy knows football.

This can't be stressed enough. This is what a plan looks and smells like.

In order to be even in the hunt this is what you have to do at a minimum.

I kept telling folks when they drafted and started Sanchez that it was a bad move since no QB in NFL HISTORY even got to a SB let alone win it with as little experience as Sanchez had. I said he had to sit and wait and learn. His first two years were a miracle.

So that couldn't or shouldn't have been Tanny's plan A and Idzik well enough said there. The man actually had the gall to say during his state of the team mid season report that he believed that the Jets were talented enough last year to compete and win. NUTS!!!

And in the final analysis you can't count on miracles to make you competitive year in and year out.

You must have a sound plan and our GM thankfully looks like he really does have one.

agreed, that was a joke from the "say goodbye to gino" thread

I know...sitting him for only four weeks was a counter-joke.

Love the idea of giving the kid a couple years to develop...It'll be pretty disappointing if he sees the field at all unless it's some mop-up reps very late in the season when the Jets are resting their starters for the playoffs : o )

I know...sitting him for only four weeks was a counter-joke.

Love the idea of giving the kid a couple years to develop...It'll be pretty disappointing if he sees the field at all unless it's some mop-up reps very late in the season when the Jets are resting their starters for the playoffs : o )

whoops, duh, lol

add in learning under gailey and it's just a sweet situation for the kid

We have depth for once and talent again. It's nice to have a football guy calling the shots again, first time I've felt good about our GM in a long long time.

Also..it seems like we have signed about 100 guys since February...offensive lineman, defensive lineman, secondary..I truly hope that this regime actually let's there be a competition so the best players will find their way onto the field

Love this

Totally agree. All of the drafted players will have the chance to be brought along slowly while being mentored by the veterans in front of them on the depth chart, and the picks themselves have created solid depth across the board.  I think this was a GREAT draft by the Jets.

Love this

I agree with the premise of your post, however, I am going to be surprised if Williams is not starting at some point this season, he is just too good. 

Love this

The last Jets 1st rounder not to have pressure on him won the D rookie of the year in Sheldon Richardson. Very good point.

+1

who are the veteran players with most pressure on them? top 3 i'd say geno smith, dee milliner, breno giacomini.

I wouldn't include Milliner ... Pressure for a roster spot maybe, but not pressure to be able to play. We're fine at CB without him, and it's a plus if he does contribute. The guy just needs to get healthy, and with Revis and Cro he can take the time to do that.

Agree on Geno and Gio, and Colon must already be feeling the pressure with the number of younger guys looking to crack the starting line up.

We have depth for once and talent again. It's nice to have a football guy calling the shots again, first time I've felt good about our GM in a long long time.

Depth on defense yes...offense, not so much.

One of the best parts for me is we have a rock solid QB comp. Big Arm Rookie/ Mobile 3rd year developmental/ Savvy bearded pocket passer vet.

This will not be a Rex Ryan QB comp.

Any of of these 3 can start. Whomever earns it will be the guy.

It looks like Geno will probably win out, but he's going to have to work.

FINALLY!!!! Some damn logic on this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

???

on second thought it's not worth responding to.

Great post. This team is deeper than I can remember in a while. It's going to be really tough for any UDFA's to make the roster, whereas back when Tannenbaum was GM you had to try to figure out which 3 or 4 UDFA's were going to make it because there were open roster slots. This draft just helped build quality depth which is great.

Would add that Smith is reportedly an excellent gunner, so he should be able to carve out a nice role on special teams as well.

Archived