Who can cover Devin Smith?

Jetster

So we already have Jet fans questioning the Smith pick.

I might be worried if this was 2012 & we were asking him to step in & be THE MAN!

Instead we start the season with Brandon Marshall & Eric Decker as our #1 & #2 WRs.

Plus we have Jace Amaro at TE, basically a huge WR.

In all of the years watching Marshall, when have you ever seen just one defender shut him out?

Decker now draws the 2nd best CB instead of the #1 CBs he faced last year.

So, now your already forced to put another CB on the field or shade a safety to Marshall or Decker which already leaves a LB trying to cover Amaro.

So that leaves most likely your 3rd or probably 4th CB trying to cover a speed merchant ball tracking Devin Smith!

When have you guys ever seen 4th CBs with the speed to chase a burner?

Who's the Patriots 3rd or 4th CB?, Miami?, Buffalo?.

Everything on offense in the NFL effects something else.

Spreading out the opposing secondary gives Ivory more room to run ect.

Very exciting, especially knowing Chan Gailey is here to orchestrate the offense.

In all of the years watching Marshall, when have you ever seen just one defender shut him out?

I actually have once.  Believe it or not, it was Ras-I Dowling. 

Ah, what might have been (for both of our teams) . . . .

Smith is definitely in a very good position to experience some success in the NFL without having to be THE man right away.  He fits in perfectly with the compliment of WR's already on the roster, and will be able to learn from them all while also contributing to the success of the team.  I think this was a GREAT pick by the Jets. 

Your question should be "who can get the ball to Devin Smith?"

Ha, ha, that's a good one.

Well, let's see. Instead of having to force the ball to a hamstrung Decker, who by the way could barely practice each week, or having to DEPEND on a ROOKIE TE still learning his way, or throwing to a different receiver on the other side of Decker who seemed to be a DIFFERENT guy EVERY WEEK, maybe just maybe Geno will get to practice with the same 4 guys each & every week.

From camp day one, he'll have his 2nd year with Decker, who by the way looked to be in pretty good sync with our QB towards the end of the season.

Plus he'll have Marshall too, a guy that gives Geno a huge catch radius.

Add in Amaro in his 2nd year, with a coordinator familiar with some of the spread stuff he had in college.

Oh, and Kerley, who I thought had an off year & who will be PUSHED in camp by a group of WRs behind him like Smith, Owusu, Shaq Evans, Enunwa.

Wouldn't even surprise me to see Kerley traded during camp if a couple of these guys overtake him.

There is a lot more in place day one in camp to help Geno.

He just needs confidence & I think these guys will give it to him by making plays.

Ha, ha, that's a good one.

Well, let's see. Instead of having to force the ball to a hamstrung Decker, who by the way could barely practice each week, or having to DEPEND on a ROOKIE TE still learning his way, or throwing to a different receiver on the other side of Decker who seemed to be a DIFFERENT guy EVERY WEEK, maybe just maybe Geno will get to practice with the same 4 guys each & every week.

From camp day one, he'll have his 2nd year with Decker, who by the way looked to be in pretty good sync with our QB towards the end of the season.

Plus he'll have Marshall too, a guy that gives Geno a huge catch radius.

Add in Amaro in his 2nd year, with a coordinator familiar with some of the spread stuff he had in college.

Oh, and Kerley, who I thought had an off year & who will be PUSHED in camp by a group of WRs behind him like Smith, Owusu, Shaq Evans, Enunwa.

Wouldn't even surprise me to see Kerley traded during camp if a couple of these guys overtake him.

There is a lot more in place day one in camp to help Geno.

He just needs confidence & I think these guys will give it to him by making plays.

His deep ball accuracy/timing/anticipation was really not that good, maybe he'll get better at it now with another offseason under his belt and better blocking.

Smith is definitely in a very good position to experience some success in the NFL without having to be THE man right away.  He fits in perfectly with the compliment of WR's already on the roster, and will be able to learn from them all while also contributing to the success of the team.  I think this was a GREAT pick by the Jets. 

Agreed. If we didn't have Decker and Marshall I think Smith would struggle a TON trying to be a number 1 or 2. Instead, Smith can step and just do what he does best. I am sure they will use him on some reverses/deep balls and hopefully keep teams from doubling Marshall and Decker because they will need to keep a safety deep to protect against a home run with Smith. This was definitely more of a "need" pick and a great fit for this team. 

Unfortunately we have Jets fans who question every pick because they always feel that someone else's pick may be better.

Im sure its the same thing for every teams fanbase, always someone who thinks their pick was stupid.

Archived